What have you done to prepare for HL2?

got brand new pc. goin to buy the new graphic card shipping with hl2, changed hours at work.
plan to clean pc desk for hl2 posters. errrm and food to be all over

oo and goin to get an extra 500mb ram for brand new pc which already has 700 odd mem ram

4 Cases of Red Bull and death metal.

Oh yeah, I might get a new mobo and CPU.

I assembled a gordon shrine out of furry pieces of cheese................. :dozey:

I'm backing everything I got on 10 DVDs and then reformatting the machine once my 9800 arrives. I want to have a CLEAN machine for a fresh install of HL2. I've already arranged the furniture in my room so the 5.1 speakers have the best setup possible. I don't plan on playing much else than HL2 for perhaps 6+ months once it comes out. DooM 3 will sure be fun, but HL2 is gonna be my main gib-fest of choice.

I still need to reformat, but seeing how fast I clutter my hdd, I'll backup everything a week before and reinstall the OS a couple days in advance. I also need a couple speaker satellite stands so I can make use of 5.1, clean my desk to have room for a mini cafeteria, and an upgrade, which will come after I try HL2. I've been looking at the 76gb 10k rpm raptors coming out soon (oct or nov?), for fast loading times.

Originally posted by The_6th_Monkey
I assembled a gordon shrine out of furry pieces of cheese................. :dozey:

lol rofl! nice one! "keep away from animals" orrr....."keep away...Animals"

just got a 9800 pro last nit.
the only sad thing is that so far my ti4200 is kinda faster in the game I play (operation flashpoint, raven shield) It better perform in HL2

New video card, mobo, ram, cpu, and speakers (And possibly keyboard and mouse). And once it's out I will format and do a clean install.

Also am playing hl1, bs, op4 too for the hell of it.

The_6th_Monkey... make sure to get some pictures of that...sounds like wallpaper potential to me :D

just got a 9800 pro last nit.
the only sad thing is that so far my ti4200 is kinda faster in the game I play (operation flashpoint, raven shield) It better perform in HL2

you make sure to reformat to completely rid of the nv drivers?

I originally planned on just replacing my crapeon 7000 with the radeon 9700np and picking up 512mb of pc133 ram (for a total of 768mb of sdram). But the radeon 9700np fried the pos intel board that I had in my comp, and I decided to replace lots of crappy parts in my comp with an overhaul (If you live in Canada never buy a computer from MDG, they use very shitty parts in their computers). I bought a new asus P4P8X mobo, added an 80gb Maxtor HD (in addition to the 40gb samsung hd that was already there), got an enermax 300W psu, and got 512mb of DDR RAM (2 sticks of 256mb).
And I also pre-ordered a copy of HL2 at my local EB.

Originally posted by staddydaddy
I ask what you have done or will be doing to prepare for the release day?

I've been waiting...

I haven't done anything specifically for HL2.

I upgraded my computer, and I just ordered a Logitech Z-560 4.1 system.. but I'd buy that anyhow... 500mhz and a geforce 256 just doesn't cut it anymore.

got an enermax 300W psu
now why oh why would you limit yourself to that miniscule wattage? my system comes under yours and I'm still rated over 15-30 watts of the theoretical max; granted, you may be okay with it, but a ~400 wouldn't have hurt and not cost much? after all, it's the most crucial component in a computer

edit:

I upgraded my computer, and I just ordered a Logitech Z-560 4.1 system.. but I'd buy that anyhow... 500mhz and a geforce 256 just doesn't cut it anymore.
lol, that reminds me... I think it was around middle of 1999 when someone posted in a forum... "people aren't gonna get away with 32mb of ram by year's end"
it's funny when you think about it

stole a compaq mouse from my school, that's about it. oh yea, overclocked my geforce 3 , i can run it at 232/519 without artifacts

Originally posted by PSX
got an enermax 300W psu
now why oh why would you limit yourself to that miniscule wattage? my system comes under yours and I'm still rated over 15-30 watts of the theoretical max; granted, you may be okay with it, but a ~400 wouldn't have hurt and not cost much? after all, it's the most crucial component in a computer

I have a 300w for my AIW 9800 Pro and I've had no problems whatsoever...you could have four 300w components in your comp and you'd be fine...it's not like the card is going to overheat...ATI wouldn't post that as the required unless it could handle it without any problems.

Originally posted by spitcodfry
I have a 300w for my AIW 9800 Pro and I've had no problems whatsoever...you could have four 300w components in your comp and you'd be fine...it's not like the card is going to overheat...ATI wouldn't post that as the required unless it could handle it without any problems.
the point isn't whether it can handle it, it's being safe, especially future-proof; the more load you put on a PSU the better the chance is it'll die sooner; if you have any plans of overclocking, get the warranty ready and pray

I've seen some people saying they've bought the 9800pro. If you have the 9800pro, do you have the 128mb ddr or the 256 ddr-II? I just bought the 256mb ddrII today on eBay. I was wondering how y'all like it?

Originally posted by staddydaddy
I've seen some people saying they've bought the 9800pro. If you have the 9800pro, do you have the 128mb ddr or the 256 ddr-II? I just bought the 256mb ddrII today on eBay. I was wondering how y'all like it?

My AIW 9800 Pro 128 is a dream. Gonna luv playing Half-Life 2 with it. Gabe has mentioned that Half-Life 2 takes advantage of the 256 cards, but to what extent I'm uncertain. In current games the fps difference between a 128 and 256 is practically nil. You never know though. 256 owners may be in for a pleasant surprise Half-Life 2-wise.

Where the 256 is really going to help boost performance is when you get into high resolutions and you have AA and AF cranked up. You're going to need a large buffer to keep all the rendering in while it processes it. At least that's my understanding from all the benchmarks and such

Originally posted by Maskirovka
viewsonic is not crap, bud...i have a 19" and it looks great.
maybe there's better, but viewsonic defenitely isn't "crap"

besides, iiyamas are expensive...i got my p95f for less than $220

In some ways its true.

But

Iiyamas are way far far far and far better in all features. Cost is high but if you want the best Iiyama is THE ONE.

Moreover your buying the fastest PC on earth so you need the best Monitor.:cheers:

I've only changed graphic card.. from GeForce4 MX 420 64mb to R9600Pro 128ddram

You know it's quite funny to see some people format their HDs for a "clean install"... Unless you don't know how to uninstall software correctly and your HD is fragmented to a point of no return, there is no need to format. Clean your reg manually, use soft like Tweak XP and Win XP manager if you need a hand. Don't forget these two: regedit and msconfig.

Back on topic: I've built a HEV suit! it weighs about 80 pounds with the long-jump module, I'm planning on wearing it from start to finish : )

i got a completely new comp.. see below.

i played through oposing force/hl1 again..

can you guys give me some feedback on my planned upgrade? Here's what I have in mind:

1. EPOX 8RDA+
2. XP 2800+
3. ATI 9800 PRO (hopefully it'll drop in price when 9800xt is released)
4. Creative Inspire 6600
5. Logitek MX700 combo

So far the biggest cost is the graphics card.

Anyways, comments and suggestions are welcomed :)

Currently got:

Asus a7n8x deluxe mainboard
xp2600
1024mb pc2700 (dual BW) ram
128mb ati 9800 pro
nvidia soundstorm 5.1 audio
19" CRT (1280x960 @ 85hz)

just ordered an xp2800 and a silent zalaman flower cooler, and a long list of performance/purdy mods (fanbus/cathodes/windowpanel).

Should run HL2 as its meant to be run. If not I can always overclock.

I got a stick of 256 ram to make my total 512,

I also got a ATI Radeon 9800pro 128MB

buying a 9800xt, or depending on how much they cuase the pro's price to fall, one of those. or I may end up going with a 9800 non pro and then adding about a gig of ram.

I bought some duct-tape, and sealed off all the windows and doors and cracks to the outside world inside my house. That way, nothing harmful can get inside. I also designated a safety room located in the center of the house, also completely sealed with duct-tape with its own air filter, water supply, and electric generator.

In the event that a nuclear or chemical blast goes off... I will be safe, with my game, until the crisis is over.

I also bought a gas-mask, but it's not for what you think... its so I look cool while playing half-life 2, like the combine.

:bounce: :bounce: :bounce: HAR HAR :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

Havnt done much really, dont have the money to so im staying with my..

1.6ghz p4
512ddr ram
gf2pro 64 meg
a nice spacious room
Set up my mini fridge next to my comp again. (easy access)

Originally posted by Raziaar
I bought some duct-tape, and sealed off all the windows and doors and cracks to the outside world inside my house. That way, nothing harmful can get inside. I also designated a safety room located in the center of the house, also completely sealed with duct-tape with its own air filter, water supply, and electric generator.

In the event that a nuclear or chemical blast goes off... I will be safe, with my game, until the crisis is over.

I also bought a gas-mask, but it's not for what you think... its so I look cool while playing half-life 2, like the combine.

:bounce: :bounce: :bounce: HAR HAR :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

How are you going to get hl2 if your stuck in there with no access to the outside world, not even the net!?

And do you have any food?

Ok, here goes...
I have upgraded my motherboard to an Nforce 2 (couple with Athlon XP 2400+)
I have overclocked my bus speeds to 200 MHZ (works great with 1 gig of PC3200 Corsair XMS RAM @ Turbo speeds)

I have purchased a 9800 NP, and will flash tomorrow to 9800 Pro.

I have requested 5 days vacation on and around the 30th from work.

2 days before the launch I will spend literally in nature, I'm going to Enchanted Rock here in central TX, and I plan on reading by a local stream on the next day to clear my head a bit. I figure I'll be trapped inside for two straight days playing HL2, so I'm going to be fresh and alert in readiness for it : )

My computer will be ready as well as my mind and body, that will be an awesome few days! The only that would suck to high heaven is if HL2 gets delayed, or say, comets strike the Steam servers...

Originally posted by .5c0ut-WHoR3.
How are you going to get hl2 if your stuck in there with no access to the outside world, not even the net!?

And do you have any food?

Oh yeah... it's all in there. Bunch of canned food an chips and all that good stuff.

And come on, it's duct tape! Easily removable and resealable! :-P

P.S. And if you didn't already know, it was a joke.

I haven't really prepared anything; just made sure Steam works well throught my network, checked the recommended specs and hoped my rig can keep up to a reasonable degree... I think I should be OK. (Athlon 2400XP, Ti4200, 512MB ram)

I've been looking at the Radeons (9700 & 9800), but I can't justify spending the massive amount of cash they cost right now. Perhaps when they come down in price, I'll grab one and play Half Life 2 again the way it's meant to be played. I'm not holding out till I've got one though, heh.

i just bought a new PC,

p4 3.0c
abit iC7 mobo, 512 twinx corasir ram, radeon 9800pro

i think i am ready

Originally posted by Raziaar
Oh yeah... it's all in there. Bunch of canned food an chips and all that good stuff.

And come on, it's duct tape! Easily removable and resealable! :-P

P.S. And if you didn't already know, it was a joke.

I knew it was a joke... can i join you?

Back