Who Upgraded for HL2?

Petabyte said:
wow, Are these things really so rare? I heard they were, but I had no idea it was that bad... Is it the same with the x800 XT PE?

it was rare to find in stores and online but you can order online no problem ,as for stores good luck :LOL:

damn you guys reply fast! see the above post I edited for an answer to a question you had P43.2/1Gig/X800P.

My specs:

AMD Athlon 64 +3200
2x512mb PC3200 PC400 ddr
HITACHI 120 GB 7200 PRM HD
MSI K8T NEO-FSR VIA K8T800 Mobo
ATI Radeon 9800XT 256MB DDR W/TV

I'm ready :thumbs:

And I'd probably overclock if knew how :LOL:

as I said on the steam forum, I have bought 2 computers in anticipation of HL2... and only HL2

Farcry and Doom 3 were nice, but the cause for me doling out large amounts of cash on hardware has always been HL2.

yeah but that was the GT not he ULTRA , I want the ultra, I felt like getting the gt would be settling. Oh well, *waits*

me2you1 said:
Bignamek

dunno yet man, gotta order it when its available, its always saying pre-order, and I never preorder, waste o' money. So when I get it I'll see.

I don't know where your getting it from, but the BFG Tech website says it'll be available august 15th. That's Sunday I think. Here is the link.

BigNamek...

me2you1 said:
yeah but that was the GT not he ULTRA , I want the ultra, I felt like getting the gt would be settling. Oh well, *waits*

According the HardOCP.com, the BFGTech 6800 GT OC actually outperforms the ultra edition, and it's 100 dollars cheaper.

BigNamek...

ghaaaa! nobody take this personnally but alienware really is for suckers. I have a very similair setup to your's razorbalde except a 19"lcd 3500 ram instead of 3200 and a 9800 all in wonder It came out to about 2100. The only downside is you have to learn how to put a comp together which for me was a royal pain the the ass, but i think saving around 900$ was worth it.

with alienware you pay for the name, and the people putting the parts together, as Slider said... you can put your own systems together for MUCH much less. (I build all my own comps)

AMD Athlon XP 2200+ @ 1,8 Ghz
256 RAM (il upgrade it to 512 as soon as possible)
Geforce FX 5200 ..
Damn..I need a new graphic card also..

Mr. Redundant said:
with alienware you pay for the name, and the people putting the parts together, as Slider said... you can put your own systems together for MUCH much less. (I build all my own comps)

So do I, I don't think I'll ever buy a desktop machine from a manufacturer like that ever again.

BigNamek...

i upgraded last year to 9800 pro, 1gb xms corsair ram, and 2500+ which i oc to 3000 fairly easy. last year cost me about 1200(including full antec case, a7n8x deluxe mob, and 80gb hd). since then iv upgraded my moniter(21" samsung), sound (5.1 logitech), and bigger hd(160gb sata). overall everything prolly cost around 1800.

This summer I upgraded to a Volcano 7 CPU fan/heatsink, with Artic Silver 5 (for my Athlon 2500+).
A GeForce 6800GT.
An Allied 520W power supply (that died in less than a month), and now an Antec True550W power supply.

well then I might just get the Gt. But iono, I'm stupid I go for the name sometimes like an a**.

Oh well, As long as I can run hl2 and pee my pants because I can, I'm good.

You really should learn to build your own computers. Its really not that hard at all. You save so much more.

I upgarded recently, i bought a Western Digital 80gig 2700rpm 8mb cache EIDE HDD, for 63 USD on newegg. I need it for all the mods that im downloading for games lately. Its also really fast, so stuff with work faster on it then my current HDD.

Im also going to upgrade my ram to 1gig DDR 3200 with a low CAS latency, im not sure yet which im going to get, but im looking at this:
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=20-144-305&depa=1

anyone have comments on that memory?

Anyway, ill be ready for hl2!

:thumbs:

Cool PC, but you spent 3 grand on it? Ouch. I just put together the following system for $1950. :thumbs:

X800 XT Platinum
Athlon 3800+
MSI Neo2 Platinum Mobo for Athlon 64 939's
1gb Corsair XMS XL 3200 2-2-2-5
Coolmaster Wave Case (Black)
480 Watt PS
Dual Layer Sony DVD Writer

The thing that is killing me for cost is my case. 144 usd. That's crazy for me, my last case cost 20$ :LOL: But I shall enjoy it immenslely (sp?)

"Its just a case "

oh ho ho ho, its a silenced case made out of black aluminum, with vertical or horizantal hd mounting, and its pretty, and yeah...i guess it is just a case, lol. :thumbs:

processor: p4 3.0c ghz overclock to 3.6 ghz
processor heatsink: zalmon 7000a alcu with arctic silver 5
motherboard: asus p4c800-e deluxe 875p
memory: ocz enhanced bandwidth platinum 2 gb kit (2x1024) pc3200 dual channel
video card: ati x800 xt platinum
hard drives: seagate 120 gb sata drive (2x) in RAID 0
sound card: creative audigy 2 zs
monitor: mitsubishi diamond pro 930sb 19"
speakers: klipsch promedia ultra 5.1
tower: coolermaster wavemaster black with coolermaster blue LED fans
power: antec trueblue 480w
others: logitech mx310 mouse, logitech elite keyboard

sooo, my system is gonna just rape half life 2 and cs source. cant wait! :bounce:

razorblade kiss said:
Since 1998 Half Life was my life. Dedicated much time to the game itself, the mods, it's community. To me it was more than a game. It was a lifestyle. Something only I could never get my friends to understand. They just couldnt see it. But I connected with HL. The game ran beautifully on my 1.8 mhz Voodoo 3, 128mb ram system. So I won't play HL2 on anything but the best. I decided to get a little self indulgent yesterday at work. I ordered a new Alienware.

Heres the specs.

Chassis: Alienware® Full-Tower Case (480-Watt PS) - Saucer Silver
Power Supply: No Power Supply Upgrade
Processor: Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor w/ HT Technology 2.8GHz
Motherboard: ASUS® P4C800-E Deluxe - Intel 875P Motherboard
Memory: 1GB Dual Channel DDR PC-3200 SDRAM at 400MHz - 2 x 512MB
Video Card: ATI RADEON™ X800 XT Platinum Edition 256MB DDR3 w/Digital and TV Out
System Drive: High Performance - Serial ATA - 80GB Seagate® Barracuda 7,200 RPM w/8MB Cache
Optical Drive One: Lite-On® 16x DVD-ROM Drive with Software DVD Decoder
Floppy Drive: 3.5" 1.44 MB Floppy Disk Drive - Black
Sound Card: Creative Sound Blaster® Audigy® 2 High Definition 6.1 Surround
Network Connection: Integrated High Performance Intel® Gigabit Ethernet Adapter
Operating System: Microsoft® Windows® XP Home Edition with Service Pack 2
Display One: NEC 17" LCD 1760NX MultiSync - Black
Speakers: Logitech® Z-640 5.1 70-Watt Speakers
Home Networking: D-Link® 802.11G Wireless Base Station

The total just almost hit 3 grand, but I figured what the hell. I was tired of skimping out on previous computer buys. Maybe cutting back on the graphics card to save money, or not getting the monitor I wanted. I've waited for HL2 since the day the first screens came out last year. I love HL, I love HL2, I owe it to myself to be able to enjoy this game to it's max. I love video games. :)

So who else updated? When? Why? Last year before the infamous Sept release date? Who bought XT cards just to get the voucher? Tell me your stories. I love hearing them :) Later duuudes. HL2 is nearing. :cheers:

I'm hopefully having my new computer built at the end of the month:

Processor: Pentium 4 2.8GHz
Memory: 736 MB DDR RAM
Graphics Card: ATI Sapphire Radeon 9800 XT
Case: NOC thermaltake Xaser III V1000J
Motherbard: Sapphire ATI IGP9100 Mainboard
DVD RW Drive: Sony Dual Standard DVD+ & DVD-R and RW burner Drive
Hard Drive: 80GB IDE Dimonmax Hard drive

I'm keeping the same soundcard, Monitor, keyboard and mouse as i have at the moment as they are quite new so ill just have the guys who are gonna build it out them in. All together with the added unknown prices of a PSU and fans it comes inn at a hefty £900, granted its a third of the price of the comuter rasorblade kiss wanted to get, but then again I want to see wht you guys think about it.

YES i have upgradeid for half life 2

now gimmy the game someone!

Hrmmm... about MACHINE's system... it is really awesome. Alienware, that cost fortunes... and i'd imagine anyone who bought that would be too broke to get a 15 inch monitor but you got a 23 inch apple widescreen.

so, are you the son of bill gates?

ummm... really, i'm just curious. man... you gotta be friggin rich... :D

razorblade kiss said:
So who else updated? When? Why? Last year before the infamous Sept release date? Who bought XT cards just to get the voucher? Tell me your stories. I love hearing them :) Later duuudes. HL2 is nearing. :cheers:

Yeah, I did buy a X800 Pro, but I'm having trouble. X800 won't work on this motherboard, and I can't use the new board (with AMD64) because my wireless network card won't work with it! I need a new wireless network system. Fortunately, a local store has one.. which I will HOPEFULLY get in two weeks. Maybe. Then again, it's also possible that it won't work. Then I'm stuck with a Radeon 7000.

I orderd my new puter yesterday.

2 Western Digital Raptor 36.7GB S-ATA 8MB cache 10000RPM(doing them in a raid 0)
Intel Pentium 4 3.2 GHz
Asus P4C800-E DELUXE
Asus V9999 GeForce 6800 256MB Gamer Ed
Corsair PC3200 DDR-DIMM 1024MB

gonna use my old cd burner, cdrom and 1 of the old harddisks.

I am building a new pc by the start of october. its going to be:

AMDfx53
MSI neo2 s939
1gb corsiar xxl 3200
Either ATI or Nvidia 512Mb Graphics
OCZ 520 power
2x WD raptor

I upgraded my graphics from Ti4200 > 9800 Pro 256 in order to play half life 2 - this was November last year. I've been very happy with the card and its handled everything I've thrown at it admirably so far.... and Doom runs fine. But I'm thinking of upgrading again within a few weeks.. I too want to play Half Life 2 @ maxed out 1600X1200, 4xAA/16xAF settings.

The rest of my system is hardly a slouch - But that will be getting an overhaul as soon as needed too.

Just a shame you cant get the XT PE in the UK right now ;(

CTTcrew_MrBlue said:
How do you guys afford these machines! im constantly working when m not at colledge yet I cannot even scratch the surface of some of these rigs.

Rich parents?

Of course I dont speak for myself there...Im old enough to BE a parent!! :frog: Luckily, I don't have any spoiled brat kids to buy computer parts for ...ha! :devil:

wowyouareacow - thats funny as hell what you have in your location!!

'Norway with fish and sh*t'

:LOL: :LOL:

I sold my old pc, and stained fences, mowed yards, and had a garage sale. I WISH I had a rich parent.

Oh, the irony. I remember last year, when HL2 got delayed... and people on this forum were laughing at those people who had upgraded just for the game. Do bear in mind that if HL2 gets delayed, even by a couple of months, your machine will likely be available at a significantly lower price, and new, faster technology will be available.

razorblade kiss said:
Since 1998 Half Life was my life. Dedicated much time to the game itself, the mods, it's community. To me it was more than a game. It was a lifestyle. Something only I could never get my friends to understand. They just couldnt see it. But I connected with HL. The game ran beautifully on my 1.8 mhz Voodoo 3, 128mb ram system. So I won't play HL2 on anything but the best. I decided to get a little self indulgent yesterday at work. I ordered a new Alienware.

Heres the specs.

Chassis: Alienware® Full-Tower Case (480-Watt PS) - Saucer Silver
Power Supply: No Power Supply Upgrade
Processor: Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor w/ HT Technology 2.8GHz
Motherboard: ASUS® P4C800-E Deluxe - Intel 875P Motherboard
Memory: 1GB Dual Channel DDR PC-3200 SDRAM at 400MHz - 2 x 512MB
Video Card: ATI RADEON™ X800 XT Platinum Edition 256MB DDR3 w/Digital and TV Out
System Drive: High Performance - Serial ATA - 80GB Seagate® Barracuda 7,200 RPM w/8MB Cache
Optical Drive One: Lite-On® 16x DVD-ROM Drive with Software DVD Decoder
Floppy Drive: 3.5" 1.44 MB Floppy Disk Drive - Black
Sound Card: Creative Sound Blaster® Audigy® 2 High Definition 6.1 Surround
Network Connection: Integrated High Performance Intel® Gigabit Ethernet Adapter
Operating System: Microsoft® Windows® XP Home Edition with Service Pack 2
Display One: NEC 17" LCD 1760NX MultiSync - Black
Speakers: Logitech® Z-640 5.1 70-Watt Speakers
Home Networking: D-Link® 802.11G Wireless Base Station

The total just almost hit 3 grand, but I figured what the hell. I was tired of skimping out on previous computer buys. Maybe cutting back on the graphics card to save money, or not getting the monitor I wanted. I've waited for HL2 since the day the first screens came out last year. I love HL, I love HL2, I owe it to myself to be able to enjoy this game to it's max. I love video games. :)

Why did you go all out except on the 2.8 GHZ Intel? You should (At least, looking at your specs) have gone for a 3.2 GHZ, or 3.4 if you wanna be extreme.

i upgraded last year for hl2. sold my old 1.5ghz p4 (really old cpu) and built a 2600 barton on a k7n2 delta. 512mb dual channel 3200 and a 9600xt cos it was cheap and had a HL2 VOUCHER.

I'm confident that spec will still handle hl2 well on high settings

I had bought my for Doom3, HalfLife2, Stalker and other new games these:

- MSI K8N Neo Platinum
- AMD AThlon 64 3200+
- His x800 Pro
- 1024 DDR RAM PC 400 Infineon

My computer is very fast in doom3 and i hope, he are enough for the next two years.

I did it:
I had to buy a new video card last year - a 9600XT with the famous HL2 voucher.

Back