World Cup of Hockey

i missed the first period of that Czech Republic vs Sweden match but apparently i didn't miss much according to the commentators and the scoreboard.

it was already 2-0 for the Czech's when i started watching and TBH those Czech's showed high intensity which was missing in pretty much all of the round robin games.. Sweden flatout got outplayed.. they lost every battle for the puck in the offensive zone and weren't really great in their own end either.. :|

hmm.. im kinda disappointed in this outcome really...i was expecting Sweden to win and be the team coming to North America to perhaps face Canada (assuming Canada can win vs the Slovaks.. which isn't a given btw :p ) but oh well.

at 7PM EST its Russia vs USA on CBC/ESPN2!
gonna be a good game me thinks :)

Go Finland.

US up 2-1 at the end of the second against Russia.

USA wins the game 4-3 :)
who woulda thought the world class goon would net 4 goals vs the Russians :O
anyway i thought Esche was average but he made the saves when he had to.. one thing: if i am the Russian GM i would be kicking myself for adding Darius Kasparitus(sp?) to the team.. that guy has made bad plays through the whole tourney.. u would think the Russian GM would know this from the guy playing with the NY Rangers team. :p

anyway 1 more quarter-final game tomorrow :)

Average? Which of the goals should he have stopped? You make a small case for the third one, but give me a break.

the last quarter-final matchup between Slovakia and Canada is about to start!!! :cheers:

go Canada!! :afro:

ShadowFox said:
I feel like I'm watching the freakin Devils.

u mean the Slovaks trapping? :D :E
anyway if u stuck around for the second and third periods u got rewarded with some secksy goals :cheese:

anyway the first period was scoreless with the Slovaks playing a trap style hockey but in the second period Team Canada used their speed and caused turnovers.. which eventually resulted in a floodgate of goals.

that Jarome Iginla goal was a real beauty :thumbs:
final score: 5-0, Canada moves onto the semi-finals round and matchup against those sneaky Czech's.

congrats to Marty Brodeur for his very first international game shutout :)

Very first shutout by any goalie in international playing for Canada actually!

Wait, (can't edit), maybe I'm wrong...but CBC was saying that last night at least...Maybe they were wrong.

Baal said:
Wait, (can't edit), maybe I'm wrong...but CBC was saying that last night at least...Maybe they were wrong.

CBC made a mistake actually because in the game before yesterday's Sean Burke was talking about a 1-0 shutout Canada had in the 1991 World Cup tourney.
i think the caption that appeared when the buzzer sounded at the end of the third period was right.. but what the commentators were saying was wrong :p

Dr. Freeman said:
u mean the Slovaks trapping?
No, I'm talking about those jerseys.

I mean, the US is red, white and blue but they don't look like the Ranger$.

Anyway, congrats. Good luck against a tough Czech team.

Only 6 Hours left :) and Finland-USA is on. It sucs that 7PM there is around 2AM here, so it´s well past midnight, but it really doesn´t matter because it isn´t school-day tomorrow.

It think it is interesting how, on average the two nations have different chants. In Canada you hear "GO ____ GO", such as GO LEAFS GO or GO HABS GO.

While in the US, you hear "LETS GO ____", Such as LETS GO DEVILS or LETS GO FLYERS (which btw, is always pronounced wrong).

about an hour remaining til the Semi-finals matchup between Finland and USA gets underway :)

wouldn't mind seeing a final with the USA in there but i dunno.. i really like the Finns goalie Miikka Kiperusoff :thumbs:

its going to be a great game!!!! :cheers:

YEAAAAAHA!!! FINLAND IN THE FINALS!!! I´M SO HAPPY ATM YOU CANT BELIEVE IT!!!!

GO FINLAND!

Kipprusoff did an amazing job again!

YAHOOOOO!!!

Well, thats it for the US. :(

Congrats Finland. I'll be rooting for you guys in the final.

That was an exciting game. When Berg got the 2 minute penalty at the end of the 3rd period I couldn't watch. When I got back USA had pulled off their goalie and there was about 1:20 left in the game. That 1½ minutes were like the most thrilling time in my whole life!!

great game although i thought it had a sluggish start to it :)
anyway i knew Kiprusoff would be key to Finland winning and even tho he wasn't named as one of the 3 stars he made some big saves late in the game to keep the Finns close :thumbs:

i was a little annoyed at Jarkko Ruutu for taking that very selfish penalty which led to the Doug Weight goal :frown:

Seppo said:
That was an exciting game. When Berg got the 2 minute penalty at the end of the 3rd period I couldn't watch. When I got back USA had pulled off their goalie and there was about 1:20 left in the game. That 1½ minutes were like the most thrilling time in my whole life!!

the CBC was saying how this game and the tourney as a whole was a big deal to the pple of Finland...they were comparing it to the passion Canadians show for the game and ur post shows that ;)

they even showed headlines of a few Finnish newspapers etc.. :D
anyway so Finns around the country are yelling "Halintaa! Halintaa! Halintaa!" eh? :LOL:

Czech Republic vs Canada @ 6:30PM EST on CBC/ESPN2

for this game Canada's goalie Martin Brodeur is questionable with a sprained wrist.. it will be a game time decision who is in net for Canada.
Roberto Loungo is the guy who will be stepping in if Marty can't play.

go Canada!!
:afro:

Canada beats Czech Republic in over time 4-3 !!!!!!

WOOOOOOOOO

You guys probably heard me screaming when they scored.

wow what an emotional roller coaster type game :O
it was good nonetheless :)

i wasn't as confident with Luongo in net tonight as i have been with Marty in net but it definitely wasn't because Luongo is a bad goalie or anything.
he just hadn't played a meaningful game since April and sudden to be asked to win a game for the team...eh.. thats big time pressure.

Kudos to the Czech Republic team.. they sleep-walked through most of this tourney but showed up when it really counted.. tonight they really took it to the Canucks... and Jagr was playing like he was trying to prove something.. all that made it an entertaining game :)

just a small gripe about the chinsy penalty that was called on Vincent Lecavalier.. that must have been a call the ref was wanting back because quite frankly he could have called something better than that :|

anyway glad to see Canada get through to the finals.. its gonna be fun watching Finland/Canada :thumbs:
i hope Marty is okay for this game tho...nothing like a battle of goaltenders to end a good tournement :cheers:

whats reall makes me sad is seeing how lemieux is playing and there might be a lockout :( just as they picked up recchi too

World Cup update: tomorrow is the big day!

Martin Brodeur's condition has improved and he feels confident about starting in goal tomorrow night.
i'd be more confident with Marty in net.. thats not to say Roberto Luongo is a bad goalie... but he just hasn't played enough games to step into a big game such as this one.

anyway it should be a good game :)

It's getting closer now, only 4 hours to wait. I hope Jarkko Ruutu doesn't take stupid penalties again. It would be nice if Selanne scored at least once

My favourites: Teemu Selanne, Dany Heatley, Miikka Kiprusoff

Finland vs Canda for all the marbles!!! :cheers:
gets started in about 2-3 minutes.

Sportsnet here was reporting that bars in Finland have gotten special permission to be open because this game is such big thing there :)

anyway good luck to both teams but being Canadian, im cheering on the Canucks :thumbs:

Go Finland !!!!!!!!!!!!!

....oh wait..nm.... im canadian

Go Canada !!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's been pretty close so far. I thought that Finland's confidence was shattered after that early goal, but they jumped right back in it.

The game has had a very good pace to it, despite Finland's great trapping abilities. Here's hoping they can increase the pace in the second...

(Go Canada!!)

Well, the second period is in the books and it was just as exciting, if not more exciting than the first.

Lemieux pulled a great move at the blue-line to then make a great pass to Iggy, who scored the opening goal.
Now Rutuu pulls a daring rush into the Canadian zone and, after making it past 3 players and the ref, slips a fast one past Marty to tie the game before the period's end.

Definately a game that isn't as slow as predicted. Both teams are in good shape. I predict overtime or a Canada win in regulation.

(Go Canada!!)

Congratulations to Canada for winning the most depressing hockey game in history.

Back