World Exclusive Interview With Chuck Osborn (Info about Multiplayer)

oldagerocker said:
I think Valve took a look at this too much :
Game Current Players
Counter-Strike 58,536
Half-Life DeathMatch 427

under 500 people... although many fans of hldm dont play all the time, if they did then the figures would be much more, but in comparison.. i think valve ran out of time and went to please the masses.

thats not how valve would look at it. you are assuming something big there. that the hl2mp HAS to be a generic deathmatch like the previous. but this is wrong. in those 6 years valve could have easily made an interesting mpmode based off the hl2 universe like combine vs resistance, etc.

Why isn't anyone factoring TF2 into this equation? Did everyone expect CS:S AND something else to come with HL2? :| :| :|

Valve isn't a charity, they're a business. They aren't going to give you 3 games for the price of 1. We're lucky to get the worlds biggest online franchise (CS:S) with HL2 for $49. But everyone wants more? Worthless bastards. Even if Gabe said "launch cycle" in the GS interview, maybe to him that meant in the months prior to launch, which the May E3 showing of CS:S counts for.

TF2 will be out soon, and then you'll have more multiplayer options.

At least an HLDM mod wouldn't take too long to complete, and plus it'd be constantly updated by the mod team. Unlike a boxed DM that would hardly change at all from when it was released.

Xcellere said:
Why isn't anyone factoring TF2 into this equation? Did everyone expect CS:S AND something else to come with HL2? :| :| :|

Valve isn't a charity, they're a business. They aren't going to give you 3 games for the price of 1. We're lucky to get the worlds biggest online franchise (CS:S) with HL2 for $49. But everyone wants more? Worthless bastards. Even if Gabe said "launch cycle" in the GS interview, maybe to him that meant in the months prior to launch, which the May E3 showing of CS:S counts for.

Exactly. I'm sure Valve used most of their multiplayer ideas for TF2 and I don't really blame them for that. HL2 was always all about the single player (in my eyes at least) and TF2 was the multiplayer goodness.

Xcellere said:

The thing is, HL2 has no multiplayer, instead we get given some lame game called Counter-strike.

posey, I meant another multiplayer game, not HL:S, which I forgot to write in. So yeah, we're getting 3 FREAKING THINGS for $49. HL2, HL:S, and CS:S, which is an AMAZING deal. Yet everyone wanted 4 damn games for the price of 1. :| :|

Wait for TF2 and the hundreds of mods, you immature punk bastard assholes.

People...stop getting mad over CS:Source being the only Multiplayer for HL2...it's not...soon after the game is released somebody will make a HL2:deathmatch mod or something else..remember the MODS!!?? yes..I thought you would.

i wonder if any valve employee while playing through the SP, said 'hmm it would be cool to play this in mp'!

its like i don't see how they could go all those years without having ideas up the wazoo about interesting hl2 themed mp modes.

"Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines multiplayer game pits players against each other in the ultimate TEAM-based battle of Kindred versus Kine. Players choose which side to ally themselves with and which powers and weapons to take into battle. You will have various OBJECTIVES that you need to accomplish while the other team tries to reach their own goals. All while you battle along the streets of L.A. Each multiplayer map blends INTENSE COMBAT ACTION and STRATEGY with maps that are LINKED TOGETHER to create an UNFOLDING STORYLINE.

Team Types: Join as one of the SEVEN differente Camarilla clans or become a member of The Society of Leopold, the legendary hunters of the undead. As a vampire, you must utilize your innate Abilities and Disciplines to eliminate your foes. If you choose to be a member of The Society of Leopold, you'll be outfitted with an arsenal of deadly weaponry including stake guns, rifles and machine guns to hunt your prey. Along with this arsenal, you will have Numina - unique powers brought on by your faith - to help balance the scales.

Objective Scenarios: With a variety of TEAM-BASED MISSION OBJECTIVES, you will have a unique playing experience every time. As you complete your objectives, you'll gain EXPERIENCE POINTS that can be used to increase your powers and abilities or purchase better weaponry and armor."

ahen.. as always bhc is right css is the only mp :) and guess what? I DONT CARE because hldm:s will come out a day after as a third party mod foolz

poseyjmac said:
i wonder if any valve employee while playing through the SP, said 'hmm it would be cool to play this in mp'!

its like i don't see how they could go all those years without having ideas up the wazoo about interesting hl2 themed mp modes.

Ever think that TF2 might factor in a bunch of elements from HL2s gameplay? I know the leak showed a bunch of files that had no relation to HL2, but it also showed some similarities.

dream431ca said:
People...stop getting mad over CS:Source being the only Multiplayer for HL2...it's not...soon after the game is released somebody will make a HL2:deathmatch mod or something else..remember the MODS!!?? yes..I thought you would.

when people make mods its usually original content, so the maps they make can't really be compared to something already done.

hl2mp is different though, you see sp maps that are simply breathtaking that exist already, this is the quality of mp maps that is required to make a good mp mod that is worthy of a hl2mp name.

people are going to fall flat trying to make decent maps that are worthy of a hl2mp unless they have an extermely talented and dedicated mod team. and thats the just maps. who knows what goofy model animations people will make for gordon and alyx. basically its something that valve should have done, they made the content, they should finish it.

:LOL: ...*ahem*. Sorry, just that reminds me of the time my dad told me "we'll have no swearing in this house, you little bugger!".

Now, we're going to have to wait (and that's due to necessity, not because a guy who strung four insults together told us to) for amateur mods and this isn't such a bad thing; it's just the attitude which is getting to me. Be aware that with that sort of logic we soon get to "So what that the SP is only 3 hours long? Wait for someone to make forty hours of extra maps you silly hippy lovechild rectums!"...

Good night to you all...

dream431ca said:
Forget it, I already tried that argument and it seemed like 95% of people completely ignored it.

Everyone is getting way too upset here, its not the end of the world you know, HL2 hasn't suddenly been turned into a crap game just because you won't be getting your precious DM right away. No one here seems to care though, most people here seem content to wallow in their anger and dissapointed.

Ya sure I am a little dissapointed with Valve but give me a break, as I am said in at least two other lengthy posts here on these boards you will end up getting a Death Match mode, it just won't be as soon as the game is released.

I would rather look on the bright side and realize that I will end up with HL2DM and that the single player is most likely going to be utterly amazing.

So many people here are talking like HL2 is no longer worth their money because of a temporary lack of an easy to implement game feature. Boo hoo, quit your whining because you will end up getting it in the end.

I won't be posting here anymore tonight, so many people on HL2 boards today have pissed me off enough with what seems to me to be a complete lack of critical thinking by simply jumping to conclusions like (OMG VALVE SUCKS NOW I WILL HATE HL2 BECAUSE IT WON'T HAVE AN OFFICIAL MULTIPLAYER). I have put up with enough crap on these boards over the last year from people who seem to make it their mission to crap all over Valve simply because from the small amount of information they recieved they came to the conclusion that Valve was somehow the root of all evil in the game development industry.

If you want to continue bashing Valve go ahead, if you want to continue feeling dissapointed and depressed go ahead, if you want to continue being pissed off over something which is basically not that big of a deal if you stop and think about it then go ahead. This is the internet, do whatever the hell you want.

Good night to you all. I only hope people will have calmed down by tommorow.

**** that shit... why would they not make DM? its doesnt make any sense.. oh well i guess i shouldnt be suprised seeing as the release date was set for over a year ago. gg valve, im sure a lot of ppl will enjoy hacking cs :/

The Mullinator said:
Forget it, I already tried that argument and it seemed like 95% of people completely ignored it.

Everyone is getting way too upset here, its not the end of the world you know, HL2 hasn't suddenly been turned into a crap game just because you won't be getting your precious DM right away. No one here seems to care though, most people here seem content to wallow in their anger and dissapointed.

Ya sure I am a little dissapointed with Valve but give me a break, as I am said in at least two other lengthy posts here on these boards you will end up getting a Death Match mode, it just won't be as soon as the game is released.

I would rather look on the bright side and realize that I will end up with HL2DM and that the single player is most likely going to be utterly amazing.

So many people here are talking like HL2 is no longer worth their money because of a temporary lack of an easy to implement game feature. Boo hoo, quit your whining because you will end up getting it in the end.

I won't be posting here anymore tonight, so many people on HL2 boards today have pissed me off enough with what seems to me to be a complete lack of critical thinking by simply jumping to conclusions like (OMG VALVE SUCKS NOW I WILL HATE HL2 BECAUSE IT WON'T HAVE AN OFFICIAL MULTIPLAYER). I have put up with enough crap on these boards over the last year from people who seem to make it their mission to crap all over Valve simply because from the small amount of information they recieved they came to the conclusion that Valve was somehow the root of all evil in the game development industry.

If you want to continue bashing Valve go ahead, if you want to continue feeling dissapointed and depressed go ahead, if you want to continue being pissed off over something which is basically not that big of a deal if you stop and think about it then go ahead. This is the internet, do whatever the hell you want.

Solid man ... Solid ...

s3pReMiSis said:
**** that shit... why would they not make DM? its doesnt make any sense.. oh well i guess i shouldnt be suprised seeing as the release date was set for over a year ago. gg valve, im sure a lot of ppl will enjoy hacking cs :/

k little boy ... stop whining ... mer ... im gonna stop posting with the mullinator ...

Heh, I find it amusing that some people think that 3 days after HL2, there's going to be a plethora of well-developed multiplayer mods sitting around ripe for the picking.

I'm not saying that the modders out there suck or can't make a good mp component. I just think it might take longer than a week. Most likely I'll play through the SP a couple of times before I try to seriously get into CS:S. I just....don't like it that much, sorry :( .

And I guess I'm going to have to repeat myself, from what I said earlier. Some people are advocates for HLDM, which is fine, but I think the larger issue at hand is that we were expecting some kind of HL2-Themed multiplayer.

I don't know, having CS:S as the MP aspect just feels weird to me. Its like buying Farcry with Doom 3 as the MP. I'm still going to play HL2 like a maniac when it first comes out, I'm just a little bummed thats all, no big deal.

hey now that i read The Mullinator's post i feel better :p

im sure the DM mod will be just as popular as cs.. so ill still be able to make my hl2 DM maps :p

Someones gotta make a techdemo like the one at E3..but bigger...I would love to see that.

FortisVir said:
but I think the larger issue at hand is that we were expecting some kind of HL2-Themed multiplayer.

I don't know, having CS:S as the MP aspect just feels weird to me. Its like buying Farcry with Doom 3 as the MP. I'm still going to play HL2 like a maniac when it first comes out, I'm just a little bummed thats all, no big deal.
Agreed.

im sure we'll see scans as soon as the magazine hits doorsteps

I'm glad that it looks like HL2 will be the best game ever made, but I'm ****en upset that cs:s is the multiplayer. ****en upset indeed.

Xcellere said:

I clearly value your opinion after that. :hmph:

The Mullinator said:
...pissed off over something which is basically not that big of a deal if you stop and think about it then go ahead. This is the internet, do whatever the hell you want.

Calmer than you dude.

You people talk like TF2's a for sure thing?!? Pfft. TF2 will come out when pigs fly.

And yes, Counterstrike was cool for like 6 months 4 years ago. But since then, we've gotten games like RtCW/ET, America's Army, Battlefield: XXX, CoD: UO, you know, games with a point.

It sure would have been cool to have a class-based, objective-based, HL2 Themed, Combine vs Resistance type MP with vehicles. By the time someone mods something that cool, it'll be 2006. And then TF2 MIGHT actually be out anyway.

You bastards should be thankful for the singleplayer alone!!! Screw hl2mp and Css!!!

On the number of players of HLDM, not everyone plays online. I myself have played HLDM online only a few times, counter strike even fewer. Instead I've played both extensively on my home LAN. Remember there are many people still with dialup who would love to play online, but just can't. By the time I got cable, Playing UT or BF42 were better for online gaming.

I think in the source engine with its physics, HL2DM would be a step above other deathmatches. With well designed levels to make sure of the physics(like SP) hl2 would make for some very fun matches. Even more embarrasing than being killed by the pistol would be getting killed by a thrown chair :p

does any one know when this issaue of PCGamer comes out on newsstands?

well i am also pretty bummed about the mp situation, come to think about it i'd be pretty pissed off if one of the main reasons for such a big delay was for the production of cs:s, cause i don't really give 2 shits about it either.

:< but woot hl2 is just about near :)

TwEEkEr, I've got yer back.

HLDM was and is still the most fun MP I've ever played and I play 'em all including CS:S (and I enjoy CS as well). My friends and I never played HLDM online, rather we played it at work for years on end. In fact, we still fire it up for a few hours when we throw lan parties at the office just to get everybody all worked up :)

There was nothing quite like gauss'ing across a map, switching mid-air to the rocket and painting a red dot on a group of ppl fighting in a tight spot (ala Boot camp in the four post area lovingly refered to as "the ring") and sending a rocket down and hearing several people dropping f-bombs over cubicle walls as their guts flew everywhere. Even to this day, that still is a riot.

I was really hoping to see HL2 DM or as FortisVir stated perfectly "HL2 Themed MP". Just imagining what one could do with the manipulator and a variety of objects laying about and sending them flying high speed into my friends faces or possibly using the manipulator to toss actual people (damn, that'd be funny) or driving vehicles and having a buddy hang on back for a quick deployment or any number of other varients we could dream up with such a powerful engine.

Far Cry MP? Didn't seem quite right to me and my friends...Anybody else agree?

Doom 3 MP? rather lame IMHO

Am I bashing Valve or am I in anyway upset with them? Not in the least. I was just simply hoping for HL2 themed MP.

Am I going to still buy HL2? Oh HELL YES, that was never in question.

Do I hate VUG? Certainly :)

Yes, it is likely that Modders out there will develop a solution for all of us. The time needed to accomplish this task will depend on the skills of the developers/modders and the quality of the tools they can work with from the SDK and how much work they will have to actually go through to make this work. There is a lot to worry about aside from simply converting SP maps to support MP. There is the whole network server-client communication stacks to worry about supporting with the added load of physics calculations if we were to truely have things like vehicles and the manipulator function like they do in the SP game along with scoreboard functionality, player and object tracking, overall balance issues etc. It would have been very nice and a huge time saver to have seen Valve already work out these types of issues and perhaps, just maybe they all ready have and the reviewers are none the wiser.

I'm still quietly (very quietly) hoping that Valve does still have something up their collective sleeves and will blow us all away. Maybe it will be HL 2 MP, maybe not. But given the amount of vague statements over the past several months and high secrecy regarding HL2 MP, it all doesn't seem to add up. There is even that interview Gabe had with GameStop (I think it was them??? Looking for link now) in which he stated CS:S isn't the only MP for HL2. And we have many examples where he among others state the the flip side and that CS:S is all there is for HL2 MP. It just doesn't add up to me.

Would Valve really spend all this time porting old ass CS, DOD and HL and NOT do something NEW with their baby Half Life 2???? They develop this great engine and what looks to be one of the most fun SP games I'll likely ever play and they are going to give us old re-skined MP mods? Like I said, it just doesn't add up. I'm more than happy to eat my words when we have the actual game in hand and the only MP option is CS:S, but maybe it won't be the only option...(no, I'm not refering to DoD either so don't even say it guys) :cheers:

FortisVir said:
Heh, I find it amusing that some people think that 3 days after HL2, there's going to be a plethora of well-developed multiplayer mods sitting around ripe for the picking.

I'm not saying that the modders out there suck or can't make a good mp component. I just think it might take longer than a week. Most likely I'll play through the SP a couple of times before I try to seriously get into CS:S. I just....don't like it that much, sorry :( .

And I guess I'm going to have to repeat myself, from what I said earlier. Some people are advocates for HLDM, which is fine, but I think the larger issue at hand is that we were expecting some kind of HL2-Themed multiplayer.

Well said. I think it's ridiculous the amount of knee-jerk Valve-defending that is going on. Face it - Valve let us down. I'm sure SP will be fantastic, but it's just standard to include MP in any FPS. And we expect that MP to be original in some way. I'm not a big fan of deathmatch, but I think Valve had a real opportunity to do some serious innovation, but they seemed to have dropped the ball. I'm sure this will lower the review scores a bit.

And for all you guys that simply lay MP at the feet of modders - I think you're crazy. It's a dangerous precedent for developers to abandon their marketplace responsibilities to volunteers. This is not cake mix.

Ok, I might be high about the Gabe/gamestop interview but I did find this one from GameSpy and Doug Lombardi from July (link to original article below):

GameSpy: Finally, can you share any details on what we might expect in the multiplayer arena from Half-Life 2?

Doug Lombardi: Only that at this point we're not releasing too many details about the gameplay modes. Valve is very committed to online gaming. Our Source engine was built to support a number of online gameplay modes, and Half-Life 2 will ship with full multiplayer gameplay for at least 32 players.

http://archive.gamespy.com/interviews/july03/halflife2/index3.shtml

So as we see here, more of that holding back secrets crap. Doug refers to supporting a "number of online gameplay modes" which to me would exceed plain old CS:S.

Yeah, the interview is two months old now but still could hold some water on the whole MP crap...

VoodooMinigeek said:
So as we see here, more of that holding back secrets crap. Doug refers to supporting a "number of online gameplay modes" which to me would exceed plain old CS:S.
He said the Source Engine, not HL2, was "built to support a number of online gameplay modes".

True, he does say Source, not HL2 but taken in context with the interview being on HL2 coverage and the question directly targeted at HL2, I simply carried this into my read of Doug's answer which upon your review shows he does side-step a bit by saying "source".

Thanks for pointing that out Rkef...

Just a theory...
What if...the review copy the magazine received did not have HL2's multiplayer on purpose. As in, Valve didn't want to give away what was so secret about HL2's multiplayer, so they didn't let the magazines get a look at it.

I could easily be wrong, but I think my theory holds water. I mean it wouldn't be that difficult to quickly make a HL2 death match; it seems ridiculous to NOT make one. I admit HL1 death match was crappy, but considering the weapons and vehicles we've seen for HL2, HL2 DM would be so much better.

On the other hand, Valve has been setting themselves up for quite a MOD community. In my communications with them, the may HL2 is coded is extremely clean and intuitive, allowing for easy custom coding, and they put a crap load of work in the SDK. They might not include a HL2DM because they might want fans to make it or various derivations of it.

Back