2006 FIFA World Cup Football Tournament

now you're arguing semantics.

Carricks still played more, and still looked better than Hargreaves.

anyho, Germany with a fast goal. Looks like it could well be 3 outta 3

Oh and Poland are sucking

The bashing on Hargreaves is BS. I've seen him playing for Bayern and he was such a dangerman he had the German fans chanting his name.

He scuffs one ball and suddenly everyone decides that the problem with England is somehow Hargreaves and not the same problem they've had in every other major tournament in recent years, ie. that they're a bunch of spiritless fannies who can only motivate themselves to play a 60 minute match. Hargreaves made small but valuable contributions whenever he was brought on back in Euro 2004 (busy little runs, good energy), but noone remembers who he is because they're too busy swooning over pretty boy Owen & co. Also note that back in World Cup 2002 he was deemed good enough to be in the starting line up right from the off, but took an injury within seconds of his first game.

If you're going to slag off someone in the side, slag off someone who deserves it, like Ashley Cole whose screw-ups are responsible for every single goal England have had scored against them (note: mild exaggeration).

Ecuador are looking pretty poor today. Let's hope we at least draw with Sweden.

If we can't beat Sweden forget about winning the world cup.

"Michael Owen is off the field with an injury. The striker is forced to crawl off the pitch after falling awkwardly and injuring his right knee. The physio is straight over to him - and it looks serious."

Good start.

Looks like it could be the end of Michael Owen's world cup. All down to Crouchie boy and Rooney now!

Shame though, Owen was the only player I liked out of the England team.

shouldn't Hargreaves be marking someone? You know, instead of the D

Well played England.

I still think it will end up 1-1 though. Paraguya currently got 1-0 against T&T, so I think we will reach Round 2 even if we lose against England.

Yeah, it has to be said. Apart from a bunch of fairly medium range shots in the first half, our build up play hasn't amounted to much. Since the start of the second half it's been all Sweden. Twice it's hit our crossbar! And the disgusting thing is if we concede another goal now you know the team will suddenly become amazingly passionate and push Sweden to the wall (but not necessarily equalise).

Goddamit, press the ball England! And don't waste it when you have it...!

kirovman said:
No, don't sigh a breathe of relief, keep on pushing!

If only they'd listened.

WHAT THE HELL WAS THAT! The throw practically bounced all the way in. Shambolic.

Ah well, 2-2. I suppose avoiding embarrassment is the main thing, but I still can't help feeling that winning against only the most mediocre sides and then praying to face the weakest opposition possible is no way to get through a tournament. Not a terrible showing today, but some of the passing stank. And if I was Rooney I would be pissed off. He was practically doing Beckham's job for him.

What a shit game. Both teams were poor, but England really did suck.

We're so ****ing lucky we don't have to face Germany next.

We'd better get our act together, what was that? We had it! Twice!

We're in no shape to face teams like Brazil in our current state.

Time 89:15, commentator “We’ve waited along time to beat Sweden"

Time 89:35 Larson scores equalizer for Sweden.

HAHAHAHA.

baxter said:

Time 89:35 Larson scores equalizer for Sweden.

HAHAHAHA.

So close...so damn close. :D Good game though.

AntiAnto said:
What an incredible goal of Cole though.

Sure, and Gerrard's header was lovely too. The rest of the game was poor.

baxter said:

When he said that I was thinking, hes a bit ambitious isn't he and I was hoping Sweden would score.

I hate the commentators in general. They always have to make subjective conclusions before even the end of the game.

Sweden's goals were rubbish, it has to be said, goals that England should have really defended better. The problem was how many set pieces we gave away, it was corner after corner, also we gave away quite a few free kicks on the edge of our penalty area. I also thought Owen Hargreves was partially to blame, he didn't play well at all and gave away loads of free kicks. We did what was required though and topped the group, however we've lost one of our main strikers it looks like; Michael Owen :(

all the games this week are boring. we already pretty much know who will advance and who will go home.

Today is the big day

Netherlands vs Argentina

GO NETHERLANDS

I can't believe England couldn't defeat Sweden. It's like a f***ing prophecy

Netherlands v. Argentina... Both already qualified to the next round, who cares who wins?

Holy shit, are England incapable of beating Sweden? WTF?

I thought England played pretty well in the 1st half, but the 2nd half (especially the defending) was awful.

England really need to get their act together. I wanted to see England and Germany face off. :(

Back