2006 FIFA World Cup Football Tournament

DigiQ8 said:
I just like the way they play

:thumbs:

I am looking forward to the game too. Both sides have nothing to lose. Should be an open game. And I am looking forward to seeing Kuit play.

secret friend said:
I can't believe England couldn't defeat Sweden. It's like a f***ing prophecy
So all they have to do is turn up to beat an internationally renowned team?

Nowt against England, they've got a great squad, but they need to issue a serious RYG to cope in the knockouts. Lampard is becoming more and more desperate to score each game. Wild shots amounting to nothing. I think they mentioned he had the FIFA record so far for most shots (on goal? Can't remember :sleep: ).

Rooney son, you're still a liability for injury, if you get subbed, chill out. He probably could have had a temper tantrum last night. It is a shame about Owen though, I still ahven't heard what exactly the injury was, but they mention on the radio this morning he might not play again in this tourney.

I thought we played well first half. Sweden hardly threatened at all. Then once again England failed to turn up for the rest of the game in the second half. It has to be said Gerrards goal was against the run of play. England needs to sort out set pieces and second half performances. I don't know what it is with England and that second half. Saying that, I think people are underestimating the Swedish team.

Holland vs Argentina tonight! Go Holland ! Hup Holland Hup! Laat de leeuw niet in zijn hempje staan! :p

Did you guys see Germany's match vs Ecuador? :O

I saw bits of it at work. (Germany vs Ecuador)

Well, we're playing who we wanted to play - didn't want to come up against the host nation this early. And considering England haven't lost a game yet, and we've been barely playing our best, I'm still hopeful.

Also when the feck are we gonna play Walcott? His speed would scare the hell out of most back 4s, and we haven't used him yet!

The fact Walcott hasn't been played in the groups, when England were already through, shows England need a new manager.

I wouldn't go that far - Sven's been pretty damn good to us.. just look at the stats.

What the Sun & the other daily toilet papers did was disgusting

Whats all that stuff i read in the paper about Manchester "faking" Rooney's injury worse than it actually was to prevent him from playing?

Also, Germany is playing really well, though Group A isnt really a very "difficult" Group i must say.
Now they play Sweden if i'm correct. That doesnt sound to "hard" either.

ComradeBadger said:
Also when the feck are we gonna play Walcott? His speed would scare the hell out of most back 4s, and we haven't used him yet!
He's shite heh, not kicked a ball in the premiership, and did nothing when i saw him vs Belarus!

I'm supporting the dutch blood within me today, going to be the best game of the tournament so far. Cmon you oranges, this is exciting stuff :D

Well my mate saw him play for Southhampton, and apparently he's very very quick. Ferdinand has been talking him up too..

Oh, and since he hasn't played in the premiership, it means that no one really knows what he's capable of. He's a scare tactic!

Sven has made some horrible decisions about who to take. Owen Hargreves and Theo Walcott shouldn't have been taken. I think Darren Bent should have been taken as oppose to Walcott.

Thing is.

Crouch was rested on the principle of protecting him for the next match.

In a game we didn't need to win Sven didn't pick Wallcot when Owen got injured. Now he's out.

Sven seems to be implying that we can play Cole, Wallcot, Lennon, or Gerrard in that position. Problem is it's now make or break, any player who hits that role is going to hit it cold.

Hmmm

Oh, good luck Dutchies but I think the Argies are gonna batter you sensless.

Here's to hoping for a good match.

Raxxman said:
Oh, good luck Dutchies but I think the Argies are gonna batter you sensless.

Here's to hoping for a good match.
should be an awesome match, though i have to stay up till 5am for it, sigh. ;(

mortiz said:
Sven has made some horrible decisions about who to take. Owen Hargreves and Theo Walcott shouldn't have been taken. I think Darren Bent should have been taken as oppose to Walcott.

Replace Hargreaves with Jenas and I agree with you.

I still don't understand the thing against Hargreaves. He played fine in the last match. Recovered possession for us a ton of times, had a couple of blocked shots on goal and was nice and busy, doing well pressuring Ljungberg in midfield.

Laivasse said:
I still don't understand the thing against Hargreaves. He played fine in the last match. Recovered possession for us a ton of times, had a couple of blocked shots on goal and was nice and busy, doing well pressuring Ljungberg in midfield.

Did you miss the 60 odd (slight exaggeration) fouls he gave away on the edge of our penalty area?

Laivasse said:
yeah hargreaves was decent lastnight, good energy, i think Beckham needs to go in all honesty, he offers fook all really apart from setpieces imo, another dismal performance lastnight, i'd blood Lennon tbh, he alteast has pace and the ability to beat players, Edman handled Beckham no probs lastnight.

mortiz said:
Did you miss the 60 odd (slight exaggeration) fouls he gave away on the edge of our penalty area?

I only remember 2 fouls he gave away in the match, one was in the opposition half. The other was an unlucky yellow card near our penalty area, and if there were any more you can chalk that up to FIFA's bs touchy-feely clamp downs

jimbo118 said:
yeah hargreaves was decent lastnight, good energy, i think Beckham needs to go in all honesty, he offers fook all really apart from setpieces imo, another dismal performance lastnight, i'd blood Lennon tbh, he alteast has pace and the ability to beat players, Edman handled Beckham no probs lastnight.

I totally agree with you about Beckham. It seems we're more and more relying on him to do that *one* killer pass to open the way for a goal. He nearly did it last night, but even that wouldn't have looked like much if Rooney hadn't received it like a wizard - and even then it came to nothing. I began to really wonder what the hell was going on when most of the crosses into the box were coming from Rooney to Crouch, and not Beckham to Rooney. I seriously can't even remember seeing Beckham except for corners and setpieces.

Sorry that it's a little late, but here're my thoughts of the game.

Sweden really got better in the second half, but I really think a tie was fair, because we really didn't do well in the first half. It was also great that Henrik Larsson got to score. He has been on the team since the world cup 1994 (when Sweden took bronze), and he has become somewhat of a symbol for Swedish football. It was a great game, and I'm really looking forward to Sweden-Germany on Saturday, even though it's likely that I will work thoughout most of the game :(

No offence, but Larsson didn't actually score.

He's also a **** - I think he's a horrible sport.

ComradeBadger said:
No offence, but Larsson didn't actually score.

He's also a **** - I think he's a horrible sport.
Why do you say that? That English guy who look like an elk (forgot his name) isn't too nice either, you know.

Argentina up soon, woot! :sniper: *gets coke and popcorn, waits like a dumbass* :dork:

The Monkey said:
Why do you say that? That English guy who look like an elk (forgot his name) isn't too nice either, you know.

LOL, Crouch I suppose?

Laivasse said:
LOL, Crouch I suppose?
Yeah, that's the guy.

Anyway, I'm really looking forward to Holland-Argentina later this evening. I think Argentina will win.

Yeah, got to go with Argentina myself, good luck Holland though.

Gut wrenching first half. Good football with the better chances for ARG. Attractive match.

Just to clarify, the Netherlands is the same as Holland right?

/failedgeography

evil^milk said:
Just to clarify, the Netherlands is the same as Holland right?

/failedgeography

holland-netherlands-provinces-map-distances.jpg

0-0, I don't think Argentina will be too upset, they've got a relatively easy match against Mexico next, Holland have got the slightly harder task of Portugal. Normally I'd expect Holland to beat Portugal, but Portugal is in form recently with Big Phil as their manager so I don't know what to expect.

i missed the second half. I was watching on my lunch break and the power went out in the hospital. Messi had some sweet moments.

wasn't a bad game, but I think both sides held back a fair bit.

the other match was a 5 goal 2 sending off stunner! :)

Everybody was expecting a 3-0 win for Argentina :p Ah well, if Holland gets through Portugal ( who knocked us out in the semi finals of the last Euro-cup in portugal), we'll probably be facing England in the quarter finals :O

Argentina will most likely be playing Germany in the Quarter finals, thats gonna be a fun match!

Czech Republic look like they're going to go out, I can't believe it...

Back