Anime that came into games successfully

mysteryman

Reaction score
What animes have you known that you can truly say that when it came into gaming world, it became a success?
Several anime-based games include Bomberman, Astro Boy, Castlevania Series, Devil May Cry, Digimon, Dragon Ball Z titles, Final Fantasy, Full Metal Alchemist titles, Ghost in the Shell: Stand alone Complex, InuYasha, The Legend of Zelda, Mahou no Princess Minky Momo, Mein Liebe, One Piece: Great Battle, Pokemon, The Quiz Master, Sonic the hedgehog, Sakura Wars, Shaman King, Sailormoon, Tekken titles, and Ranma ½, to name a few. But not all these have been successful in the games.
Be realistic. However good the anime from which the game's based on might be, you can't expect that the game will be that good. There have been many video games based on really amazing anime, but not all of them end as popular as the animes, and not as good with gamers as the animes are with their fans.
castlevania-curse-of-darkness-20050127044433273.jpg

final_fantasy.JPG

For me I can only say that I like Castlevania and Final Fantasy but I can only vouch for the success of the FF but I dunno with the Castlevania.

Yakitate!! Japan can become a huge success :D

French Ninja said:
You could make an arguement that MGS is anime influenced. >_>
Not really... it's way more american movie influanced than anything.
Heck, Kojima got the name "Snake" from Escape from LA.

WhiteZero said:
Not really... it's way more american movie influanced than anything.
Heck, Kojima got the name "Snake" from Escape from LA.
Grey Fox(katanas & exoskeletons)? Having military personel with long hair?

The art design?

*headdesk*
What about the art?
mgs2_14.jpg

art01.gif

Compared to your typical "anime style" of:
Anime%20Films.jpg

Sorry... that is nothing like your typical anime style.

And katanas & exoskeletons dont exactly have roots in anime. Katanas have roots in samurai movies. Exoskeletons arent anything perticular to anime, your thinking mecha, which is the Metal Gears themselves.
So overall, Metal Gear has relativly very little "anime" influance. In fact, the games are more influanced on real life than anything. Many of the weapons and gadgets used in the game are real. Even the Metal Gears themselves could be conceivably built.

The best console based strategy games I've played are based on the Mobile Suit Gundam franchise, particulary the Universal Century universe, i.e. the original that started in 1979(Old-school) not the shitty Gundam Wing etc, called Giren No Yabou.
The unofficial "English" names are Gihren's Greed for the PS1/Sega Saturn/Sega Dreamcast game and Gihren's Ambition for the PS2.:)
I have both plus their respective "Expansion" discs, great games, but you need to have patience to figure out the Japanese etc, and it can also be a trouble to read the japanese in it, it uses a very small font.:)

I must say the Naruto fighting games for the gamecube (think there are four of them now...) are some of the best fighting games I have played.

Oh by the way, if any of you guys bought the Limited Edition MGS3 Subsistence and got the Metal Gear Saga DVD, watch it.
Kojima says himself that his favourite movies are Spaghetti Western..
His favourite actor is Lee Van Cleef.. He was an AMERICAN actor..
I think these two statements proove that Kojima has been more influenced by Western culture in the making of the MG games than the Eastern cultures.:)

Gargantou said:
Oh by the way, if any of you guys bought the Limited Edition MGS3 Subsistence and got the Metal Gear Saga DVD, watch it.
Kojima says himself that his favourite movies are Spaghetti Western..
His favourite actor is Lee Van Cleef.. He was an AMERICAN actor..
I think these two statements proove that Kojima has been more influenced by Western culture in the making of the MG games than the Eastern cultures.:)
I have Gundam CDs but dunno if it's MSG cause I've just borrowed it from my friend, good thing you mentioned it cause it's hiding now in my cabinet I'm gonna look for it later and maybe watch it.:cheese:

an·i·me
n.

A style of animation developed in Japan, characterized by stylized colorful art, futuristic settings, violence, and sex.

MGS was more influenced by other things than anime, yet has strong ties to anime simply because it was created in Japan.

Edit - And I don't know about Suikoden becoming a success, but it sure as hell was a damn good game. As well as te NeoTokyo mod, which surely has some anime background in the concept.

Berserk to answer your question, but you named a bunch of games that were games before they became anime. :/
Also some of the things you named aren't that successful...

Pesmerga said:
an·i·me
n.

A style of animation developed in Japan, characterized by stylized colorful art, futuristic settings, violence, and sex.
If anime is violent sex from the future, it should be mind-bogglingly awsome! :eek:

so why does it suck? :flame:

Wow, people seem to like to use Onegai Twins as the typical anime to compare with.

The arguments you people are making to say that mgs is not mostly influenced by anime could be made for cowboy beebop. And nobody can argue that that isn't anime. Now MGS is dammed wel mostly influenced by anime, first of all you have the giant mech Metal gear, which in the first game is explained is influensed by anime, otacon stands for Otaku Convention. Than you have Liquid snake and raiden, both long white haired pretty boy's. Not to mention all the tri-angle relations and the drama that occurs and all the philosophy, if you have played a lot of japanese games and seen a lot of their movies you would know thats pretty typical.

The characteristics that mgs shares with western movies are the same that many anime share and none are defining factors of a particular style, while the
characteristics it shares with anime are most definatly defining for anime. And make no mistake about it not all anime looks like pokemon or DBZ, and a lot of anime has characters that are tributes to western movies.

Now as far as succesful anime in games, Fear Effect 1 and 2 come first to mind.

HunterSeeker said:
I must say the Naruto fighting games for the gamecube (think there are four of them now...) are some of the best fighting games I have played.

I personally like the second and third versions of Naruto for the PS2 better than the gamecube version. It's more indepth and looks more like the anime series than the gamecube verison. The only downside to the ps2 version is that it is only 2 players instead of the 4 player vesion on the gamecube.

Edit: there is also a Samurai Champloo game coming out that looks like fun.

Wow, a thread about anime in a game an no one even mentions Shogo: Mobile Armor Division. That has all sorts of japanese crazyness, not that i realised when I bought it as a we lad back in the late '90s... I just thought the fact that I could run around in some big armoured suit thingy and blow stuff up with a gun that shot five rockets at a time was cool...

Killer 7 is the best and only anime game worth playing. Oh, and Pokemon. :E

One time I came into games.
Bob_Marley said:
Wow, a thread about anime in a game an no one even mentions Shogo: Mobile Armor Division. That has all sorts of japanese crazyness, not that i realised when I bought it as a we lad back in the late '90s... I just thought the fact that I could run around in some big armoured suit thingy and blow stuff up with a gun that shot five rockets at a time was cool...
I have Shogo but I have never played it. o-o
Got it with a Septerra Core bundle thingy.

I'd say Lunar: Silver Star story and Lunar 2: Eternal Blue did a pretty good job.

Viewtiful Joe. Now there's a fun ass game. Also Xenosaga. PC games that are influenced by anime aren't very common, but there are some good console ones.

Teta_Bonita said:
If anime is violent sex from the future, it should be mind-bogglingly awsome! :eek:

so why does it suck? :flame:
Anime sucks?!?
Have you ever watched Naruto?:rolling:

I quote: Bleach, Ghost in the Shell (All versions), Shakugan no SHANA... faltering... faltering... Oh, yes, Cowboy Bebop, Trigun, Kiddy Grade, and of the course Neon Genesis Evangelion.

On a side note, .hackSign// was pretty good. Not sure which one though. And the Bleach videogame. I think.

I'm actually watching Cowboy Bebop right now, have all the 26 eps + the movie :D
I really like how influenced that series have been by the '40s jazz-movement.:p

.hack//SIGN Series (PS2)
Bleach (PSP)
Ghost in the Shell (PS2, PSP)
Neon Genesis Evangelion (PS2)

THose are what I currently own. There are many more good Anime style/influenced/based games out there.

Back