Far Cry - Released for free.

Yeah, same with Rayman... the menus and the coliseum are filled with the ads.

Meh, sorry ya'll... didn't realize they'd be so ad infested.

Woot about the first Ghost Recon, by far the best in the series.

I wouldn't even get the ghost recon with this ad stuff. Seeing as you can buy the gold edition (with TWO expacks, iirc) for probably 20 bucks? McDonalds ads everywhere, or about twice the content for 20 bucks or less...

Just checked, saw it for less than 15 bucks new on amazon. I may buy it again rather than d/l it just for the convenience.

Far Cry is good, but not good enough to deal with the annoyance.

another pi$$ take, this onl works for people living in the US

WTF!! How unfair is that

another pi$$ take, this onl works for people living in the US

WTF!! How unfair is that

You're not missing out.
I'd rather buy the full game than have to sit through every loading screen, listening to a McDonald's advertisement.

I can't believe you guys are complaining about ads in the menu and loading screen for a free game. :| I gotta wait anyways on Thursday because EVGA is taking their sweet time shipping the replaced video card. :rolleyes:

It ruins the atmosphere, and personally, it would drive me crazy. Let's hope the far cry community will make a "de-crapifier" for the game, huh? Removing the HUD advertisements will probably be easy. I don't know about the audio segment on the loading screen, though.

Though I think the hardest part, both gameplay-wise and modding-wise, would be to remove the final fight against the Burger King guy at the end of the game.

Only having ads in the main menu and loading screen in a free game is immensely better then having ads in the actual gameplay for a full/normal price game (BF2142 and a couple other new games).

I already played and beat the real Farcry a while back. I'm downloading Prince of Persia now.

Has anybody tried the Far Cry multiplayer yet?... does it even work?

Has anyone checked wether this is installing spyware to gather information about you and your browsing/downloading habits?

So what do you mean saying Ghost Recon is not working? It's there for download but it's not working? The download size looks strange - only 542MB.

Well Farcry becomes idiotic once the mutants show up. Was a good game before then.

I wish I had body armor as good as those mercs. I think I counted one surviving 12 rounds in the chest from a p90. I don't even want to know how effective it would be against the M4.

At Fileplanet.

I'm downloading it right now, downside is that it has ingame advertising... which doesn't really bother me.

I tried the full version a couple of years ago, and it was okay... wouldn't have bought it.
But how can anybody resist free stuff?

Update : Oh snap, it also appears that Ghost Recon(original)(Doesn't seem to be working.) and Prince of Persia : Sands of Time have been released for free too, again both with apparently very subtle ingame advertising.

Update 2 : Rayman Raving Rabbids... released for free, when the hell did this even come to the PC?

Holy crap, thanks for letting us know.

So what do you mean saying Ghost Recon is not working? It's there for download but it's not working? The download size looks strange - only 542MB.

Ghost Recon wasn't that big to begin with.

And what I mean is, when you click the download button it redirects you to the Fileplanet homepage.

Has anyone checked wether this is installing spyware to gather information about you and your browsing/downloading habits?
No spyware is installed, it's always mcdonalds ads.

Also - Mutley, I would DL C&C, but the servers they're on are shit for me - 19kb/s :\

Do they think this kind of advertising is effective? I played Far Cry for a few hours yesterday straight and every time I saw the hamburger I felt like vomiting, and I ****ing love hamburgers. I ate a fast food hamburger from a different joint that night, too. But then, I only eat at McDonalds after I see a movie with friends (right by the theater), and even then haven't in a year or more. Maybe it works on people who eat there regularly...

Does PoP have the same video game/dollar menunaire ad as Far Cry?

I managed to find my old Ghost Recon disc earlier, which suprisingly still works fine even though it looks as if it's been used as a brake disc :p. Still an awesome game, was playing a little terrorist hunt earlier.

In other related news, it's now hosted on Gamershell. :D

http://www.gamershell.com/download_20866.shtml

A little co-op would be a laugh I reckon.

I managed to find my old Ghost Recon disc earlier, which suprisingly still works fine even though it looks as if it's been used as a brake disc :p. Still an awesome game, was playing a little terrorist hunt earlier.

In other related news, it's now hosted on Gamershell. :D

http://www.gamershell.com/download_20866.shtml

A little co-op would be a laugh I reckon.

Sweet!

Thanks for that man.

Meh, just downloaded Far Cry from Gamershell and the file was corrupt... same with Fileplanet.

Oh well.

I've noticed that when I try to run Far Cry through Steam it just goes to a black screen. Running it normally works fine. Anyone else experiencing this?

Just played a bit of Ghost Recon... all the menu screens have adverts for cars and fastfood joints.

And there's a random advert in the loading screen, other than that it's fine.

Damn shame there's no MP servers though.

You linked to a pirating site and used a custom font and colour in your first post?

Please gtfo.

I assume removing ads is illegal in this case, so you might as well pirate the game.

It's piracy when you remove the ads out of a free game by downloading a pirated copy of it.

And actually I'm the friendly part of this forum, just wait until you see Willy and Shasta.

Don't use it and keep the ads then, see if I care. I was just posting some useful information.

I even registered just to tell you all how to remove the ads. It's hardly piracy when it's a FREE game lol. Many people use a replacement exe on games they bought so they don't have to search for the DVD everytime they want to play a game.

Learn some manners and say thank you when somebody is giving you interesting information. Let's hope everybody on this forum isn't as uncivil as you.

1. Don't pirate.
2. GTFO

There's still a few Ghost Recon servers about, only you need some shitty ubi.com browser to see them. And basically all the servers need you to have the Ghost Recon expansion packs installed too. :(

Ah well. I've heard good things about Prince of Persia, may as well give that a whirl.

Anyone got a good mirror for C&C? I cba to download at 19kb/s.

I can't get Far Cry isntall.

Either a) I try to run the .exe which locks up the computer, or
b) I try to unzip the files, which locks up the computer.

I run a P4 @ 2.8ghz, 512 Ram and X800 GTO. What do you reckon is that problem?

I can't get Far Cry isntall.

Either a) I try to run the .exe which locks up the computer, or
b) I try to unzip the files, which locks up the computer.

I run a P4 @ 2.8ghz, 512 Ram and X800 GTO. What do you reckon is that problem?

Either the ram, or you got a crap download.

I don't know what to tell ya.

I downloaded the game from fileplanet and gamershell... only to have the file be corrupt.

Back