Why I am excited for the Wii <-- Best thread, honest

For those who say "It doesnt matter about graphics its all about gameplay" take a look at this CoD3 screenshot for the Wii:

http://uk.media.wii.ign.com/media/815/815492/img_3959443.html

Now after looking at that, I can see why Nintendo are focusing on the Wiimote coz the graphics are terrible! I mean its a next gen console, you cant call it nect gen if it doenst improve in ALL areas including graphics.

1. I don't think anyone said "graphics don't matter", and if they did they're wrong. It's entirely a matter of opinion, but Wii is targeted at those who're after fun, intuitive gameplay over graphical prowess (which isn't to say the gameplay in any given Wii title is going to surpass that of other consoles or PC just because it doesn't look quite as sharp :p).

2. That screen does look pretty awful :x

A lot of Wii games look really crap imo. Not all exceited about the PS3 either.

To be fair - CoD3, and games like it, are the last reason I want Wii.

For those who say "It doesnt matter about graphics its all about gameplay" take a look at this CoD3 screenshot for the Wii:

Agreed, that looks fugly.

But it's hardly a fair judge of the console to pick the ugliest bit of third-party, cross-platform shovelware you can find.
Hell, those visual assets are probably lifted from PS2 version of the game. :x

We know that the Wii can do better than that.
We know it because the Gamecube could do much better than that last gen. Just look at Resi 4.

Agreed, that looks fugly.

But it's hardly a fair judge of the console to pick the ugliest bit of third-party, cross-platform shovelware you can find.
Hell, those visual assets are probably lifted from PS2 version of the game. :x

We know that the Wii can do better than that.
We know it because the Gamecube could do much better than that last gen. Just look at Resi 4.

Resident evil 4 wasn't exactly the norm though, it was arguably the best looking GC game to date that was released towards the end of the console. While the technical spec's of the Wii suggests it is easily more powerful than the GC, many of these released screenshots definately doesn't reflect it.

I guess all depend's on the developers creativity to maximize the visual aspects of their game's, which to be honest, I'm not expecting much from 3rd party developers. Who knows, maybe there will be a future trend of better looking Wii games but currently, most screenshots look tad bit depressing.

You know nothing :p

How would wide screen make the resolution twice as high as it should be?

While the technical spec's of the Wii suggests it is easily more powerful than the GC, many of these released screenshots definately doesn't reflect it.

Most launch games are ropey, and rarely show what the machine is capable of. It's a little different with the wii as it's basically just a clocked GC, but let's not base decisions on the intial lineup, and especially not on games like CoD3.

Most launch games are ropey, and rarely show what the machine is capable of. [B[It's a little different with the wii as it's basically just a clocked GC[/B], but let's not base decisions on the intial lineup, and especially not on games like CoD3.

That's a good point I forgot to mention actually, for a $250 console you'd expect them to supply you with something with a little more 'bang' wouldn't you? For all the Sony bashing that goes on here, I wonder if people take into account how the consumer actually get's more monetary value than what they pay for. While the Wii, is basically a slightly improved GC with an added controller that they're charging $250 for.

But this is getting way off-topic, back to the original discussion!

I'll definately agree, it's generally foolish to base decisions based on launch games but personally, I can't help but feel disappointed when you look at 360 / PS3 launch screens. I'm not a Graphics > Gameplay person but the quality from some of the Wii screens are just... horrible.

You know nothing :p

How would wide screen make the resolution twice as high as it should be?

why should it be only half of what it is now? D:

and for consoles: what about HD TVs? they would be able to work with that i think ;)

That's a good point I forgot to mention actually, for a $250 console you'd expect them to supply you with something with a little more 'bang' wouldn't you?

You could say the same for the DS. I'm more concerned with how much fun I get per £ rather than what technology it buys.

why should it be only half of what it is now? D:

and for consoles: what about HD TVs? they would be able to work with that i think ;)

But the Wii doesn't support HD.

I'm thinking that it must be ran through an emulator on a PC.

It doesn't mean a lot really :p

Only one person I know has a HDTV but he has a lot of expensive stuff tbh...

This is probably the only console I would buy, I get all I ever want out of high end gfx gaming from the PC. The Wii is just pure genius the games look like a hell of alot of fun to play, especially with friends.

It's too bad the Wii only supports EDTV resolution of 480p, if it supported more then we wouldn't hear so much bitching about the gfx :p

COD3 is the WORST example of graphics for the Wii I've seen yet. Every other game I've seen out there is much more polished with great looks.

I'm with Warbie on gauging my investments in games with how much fun I get out.

I got a question about the Wii.

Because my job is awesome, and I get a lot of good perks, I am able to borrow a 5000 dollar LCD projector. I'm able to project a video screen that is 7' by 6'. Will the Wii work on it?

Yes. Providing the sensor bar is placed at some point near the screen, it will work on any output. Including a cinema screen. :E

71bc44d30ea0ada7dad0ecdef7911c6a.jpg

7d311225537e77e7b1055b33aa24fe9f.jpg

66f31f93f32745585692ee24c20d7305.jpg

0044c43e6767da881b34456e3199a55a.jpg

ExiteTruck. Looks amazing

Looking a bit like Burnout... except faster and with lots of jumps... and TRUCKS :O

*excited*

And frantic leaning round corners while gripping tightly to the wiimote :)

I'm looking forward to "ramming" my friends in real life to throw their driving off.

Or rather, my friend. Only two player. :(

The Wii isnt designed to have the most realistic WW2 games you will find on the other consoles. Sure, the graphics aren't up to par with what you'd expect for a "next-gen" (if you class "next-gen" as more polys on screen at the same time).

With limitation comes creativity. You should learn to work with the limitations instead of doing a half aresed attempt at something that really don't work on the system you're developing for. The first generation games (like Miyamoto said) will mostly be ports or rather simple games (minigames etc), but it's the second wave of games that will really be interesting. Also worth to mention is that Nintendo is working hard on getting new ideas on the table which they haven't announced yet (but will soon).

Me and a few mates have been toying with the idea of developing game for the Wii and he haven't had a problem with the machine performence wise (we don't know the specs of it though). It's a bit more experimental than the others which we like. We can try out concepts which isnt possible anywhere else... and that's much more interesting than pouring polygons and shaders over the player.

My point is that; if you're looking for shooters like we have today, go for something else. If you want something else that welcomes a more experimental approach to games, go with a Wii.

There's always Wii60 or WiiPS3 :)

I'd be very suprised if we don't get a new version of Pilot Wings on the Wii - it seems the most obvious game for Nintendo to make. I'd be equally suprised if it doesn't turn out to be bloody fantastic :)

Im actually pretty excited for Wii Boxing. It looks like it has the same gameplay mechanics as Fight Night, only with easy controls.

I think there's a game looking a lot like it could be a Pilot Wings remake.

Seconded.

And the Wii is also URGENTLY in need of some of this:

starfox02zp8.gif

:sniper:

That's another game that's pretty much guaranteed :)

Pilot Wings and Star Fox using the wiimote - it doesn't get much better than that. Who needs 3rd party developers?

That's another game that's pretty much guaranteed

Pilot Wings and Star Fox using the wiimote - it doesn't get much better than that. Who needs 3rd party developers?
Star Fox would be kick ass. I love Star Fox 64

Back