Why I am excited for the Wii <-- Best thread, honest

Oh noes!
They should have it at more places than that. Not everyone goes to gamestop to buy their stuff.

As long as the UK gets Game, I'm fine. S'my local, see. I'd like to play Red Steel before I buy it. When they do get the demos, I'll be down there every lunchtime.

What's going to stop people running off with the remote?

It'll be wired at the bottom into the booth. As will the nunchuck. I assume. Unless they only showcase Wiimote-only games like Wii Sports and Wario Ware and Excite Truck. Seems fair actually, would stop people hogging Zelda and Red Steel.

Are there ANY OTHER GOOD LAUNCH TITLES that are coming out other than Zelda?

I serisouly wouldn't waste 250 bucks just to play the legendary overhyped game.

I'm sure people will have more than a couple games they like from launch. More on the way over christmas and into 2007.
I'll be playing Wii Sports, Zelda: TP for sure but I will might pick up Excite Truck, Red Steel, Madden, NFS. Don't know about Farcry, COD3, or Blazing Angels.

You're just a really really angry person aren't you? I feel sorry for you. :(

Red Steel is one of the most original looking console FPSes around (built from the ground up, made for the Wii controller, not a port, not set in WW2 or the modern army)

Excite Truck could be one of the best arcade racers in ages.

Wario Ware: Smooth Moves will, barring some great disaster, continue the hilarity and surprisingly well crafted quality of the series.

Wii Sports will just be... superbly fun if nothing else. And a fantastic introduction to the console. Certainly the first game I'll be playing when I get home.

Marvel: Ultimate Alliance is the third game in my favourite superhero series. Me and two of my friends played through the second one in one night, without sleeping. It was awesome. And imagine playing it like that on Wii! Doing the moves yourself. Boom! Bang! Smash!

Hmm I wonder if Goldeneye 64 will be on the Virtual games list...
*starts dreaming
and if I would be able to use the Wiimote to aim.

No and no sadly.

Rare have said no apart from DK64. And there will be no Wiimote implementation to classic games.

No and no sadly.

Rare have said no apart from DK64. And there will be no Wiimote implementation to classic games.
And that's only because Nintendo owns all the rights to Donkey Kong, if I'm not mistaken.

Yeah.

I'm looking forward to DK Wii personally. And actually... a new Wario Land. These spin off franchises are fine, (Wario Ware and Donkey Konga) but I want some good platforming that doesn't come from Mario.

How about a remake of
605981-Stunt-Race-FX.jpg

Well then why are we paying 500 for one game on PS3, or 400 for one game on the 360? Because we're not insane and under the impression that theres only one good game for those platforms. Same logic applies to the Wii.

I'm angry because I don't want to pay 250 bucks for one game?
I don't know, guys, he may be on to something here. I read on the IGN forums that some guy, whose dad has a friend whose son's friend's mom worked at Nintendo once, and she says that Nintendo's actually taking all the studios that are making games for the Wii, and putting them all in one building to work on Twilight Princess, which is the last game to ever be released on a Nintendo console ;(

Combine does have a point. As much as i'm excited about the Wii, its launch lineup isn't exactly stellar. The most impressive looking game by far is Zelda, and it's a GC game (with some extra functionality bolted on).

This won't stop me getting one at launch - the Wii looks like a superb console - but having Metroid and/or Mario on day one would have made all the difference.

Combine does have a point. As much as i'm excited about the Wii, its launch lineup isn't exactly stellar. The most impressive looking game by far is Zelda, and it's a GC game (with some extra functionality bolted on).

This won't stop me getting one at launch - the Wii looks like a superb console - but having Metroid and/or Mario on day one would have made all the difference.

Yeah, most launch lineups aren't exactly the pinnacle of the console. I think having one MUST-HAVE title at launch is great though. I didn't see anything like that for the 360.

Please please please... do not bring 360 into this topic. If you gonna say anything negetive statement about 360, do that in your seperate thread.

Just comparing launches. Right now I'm very tempted to get a 360 because of the lineup it has coming. It wasn't a shot at the 360, just console launches in general and the 360 happens to be most recent...

In this case the must have game is a GC game. Luckily it's Zelda :)

Most consoles do have mediocre titles at launch, but not Nintendo. SMW and F-Zero with the Snes, Mario 64 and Pilot Wings with the N64. The GC was a little weaker, but still had Super Monkey Ball - the only good one in the series and still one of my fave games - and Wave Race.

I don't want to sound too negative as i'm still very hyped about the Wii. Probably just bitter about being promised Metroid and then having it taken away!

Here's hoping Excite Truck can suprise everyone (every vid makes this game loook better and better ) and that Red Steel doesn't turn out to be as poo as it looks ;)

New Trauma Center video showing loads of the brand new content including healing a shattered bone, using the defibrillator, using a pen-torch to operate by and that strange puzzle we saw in the first screenshot release.

I wonder if there'll be another instance where we operate on a bomb or similar. If it is indeed all the levels from DS plus more, it should be there. :E

Link

New Trauma Center video showing loads of the brand new content including healing a shattered bone, using the defibrillator, using a pen-torch to operate by and that strange puzzle we saw in the first screenshot release.

I wonder if there'll be another instance where we operate on a bomb or similar. If it is indeed all the levels from DS plus more, it should be there. :E

Link

That looks awesome! It even has the cool Trauma Centre music.

And then some excitement died when I saw GUILT. :(

Haven't played or seen Trauma Centre for DS, but I thought that looked damn cool :D

I got my Gamecube on release (well, 2 days after) with Lugis Mansion and Rogue Squaron 2. Alone, those two games kept me happy for a looonnnng time. I'm sure Zelda will, and knowing Zelda games that'll keep my happy for the same amount of time any two games could. Got love for ma Zelda games, yo.

But anyway. Right now, I'm not sure what I'm going to get this next coming few months. I desperatly want a 360 because of Dead Rising, BF2:MC, Oblivion, Assasins Creed and somethingelse I've forgot. I'd like a Wii, but with just one game attracting my attention at the moment (Zelda), I don't think it's worth getting. Theres just more for the 360 that I want right now. I'll get a Wii like.. Summer or something. I can't afford both this Christmas.

Makes sense. There's no rush to buy any of these consoles, it's just nice to get something at launch. I'll be picking up a PS3 eventually, but probably not for a year or two - between the wii, ds, 360 and pc there will be barely any time for anything else!

Sorta feeling the same way as AntiPop. Got my 360, and with so many great titles coming out for it in 2006, I'm wondering whether I'll focus on getting a good deal of those and put off grabbing a Wii until it starts booming a bit post-launch. Plus there's upgrading the PC, or possibly building a new one... bah, gaming is an expensive habit :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XGZDTdxtWwU

Haven't had a chance to watch it yet. Gotta go to work and I'll watch there.
They filmed the guys talking too much. hehe
But it looks pretty fun. I wonder why farcry gfx for the Wii don't seem as good as this. I'll have to search around after the Wii is out and see if I can find a store with a demo of Red Steel running. I bet it will be good even if you have to get used to the controls a little bit.

Edit: looks like there are multi videos with the name "RedSteel (2) - JeuxFrance.com" or 3 etc.
And the camera is focused on the screen the whole time in those.
Sorta reminds me of Goldeneye 64 in a way.

I'm personally worried about the lack of split screen gameplay shown in any game so far. The name Wii kind of implies multiplayer gaming.

Oh.... WOW. Mission mode sounds so sexy. In-game phone calls. XD I knew that speaker was meant for somthing. XD

And it sounds like it'll be 4 player. Good news.

Finally some people out there can have their arguments laid to rest. The Wii does NOT tire you out after prolonged play.

There are concerns that you have to stand for long periods of time and use body actions such as swinging your arm above your head or at the side of your body. After playing non stop for two hours, did this happen to me?

No.

Also an interesting tidbit I noticed while reading through this article:
The QA guy on hand (Nintendo) to talk us through the launch line up also informed us that there may be plans to invent shin remotes of some form to enable kicking in games in the future.

I don't know how much demand there would be for this, but it is a cool concept.

http://www.entertainmentwise.com/news?id=23483

There's a couple more articles on the site that go more in-depth with the games that you can find by just clicking the "Other News" link near the top of the page. Reading them now.

Some people playing on the wii for the first time:

http://uk.wii.com/exp/

The black dude playing Golf was having a great time :)

Some more in depth user impressions:

http://www.entertainmentwise.com/news?id=23483&p=1
http://www.entertainmentwise.com/news?id=23483&p=2

'The Wii is about smiling gamers. I have seen the launch of many machines and gadgets, with expressions of surprise and admiration at graphics etc. But nothing comes close to this. No matter who you are and why you play games; you pick it up, you start smiling, even laughing straight away. The joy of gaming should be for everyone, and the Wii has brought joy to the face of every gamer I’ve seen touch it. Thanks, Nintendo. You’re brave enough to make fun once again the king of why we play games. Thank God someone thinks games should be fun before they’re anything else at all.'

Back