FIFA World Cup

Haha, good thing Suarez is suspended for the next game...if he had kept in that form against the dutch he'll end up moving Maarten Stekelenburg from no.1 :p

Yup, we're very lucky. But this won't be another Slovakia. We're not in the finals yet.

It's not a certain goal, his head is close enough to it...that if he hadn't lifted his hands he could have potentially headed it clear / against the bar / over the bar / back out into the box etc. Lifting the hands was instinctive but also luckily for Uruguay a more certain preventive measure to stop the goal. The penalty was as much a maybe as Appiah's header.

It's damn right bad sportsmanship what happened, I can't deny that. Also it's tainted Suarez's tournament who thus far as been pretty damn good partnering Forlan.

edit: I don't understand what you want them to do? The ball never crossed the line & there was still a player behind it. Anything could have happened resulting in a legitimate clearance? You want the ref to just give a goal because it was very likely it would have resulted in one?

He did everything within his power, if a player prevents a 'goal scoring opportunity' they are sent off. That is the punishment, you can't punish by giving the other team a goal when it wasn't guaranteed. It was never 'certain'.

Okay I gave soccer a chance. Note its not culture or anything that sets me against it. All my buddies watch it and here in AZ its common and liked like American football.

This sport is SO boring. I gave it an honest chance the past weeks. I cant stand it. Im not talking about that irritating as hell "vuvuzela" horn either- that is just the cherry on top.

How can you sit there through everything? Might as well just stop watching at the first goal because thats whos going to win 75% of the time.

It's not a certain goal, his head is close enough to it..

What?

suarez.jpg

How can you sit there through everything? Might as well just stop watching at the first goal because thats whos going to win 75% of the time.

I've seen teams go three goals down and bring it back to win it so no you're wrong to a high degree.

Argentina. Messi and Tevez should tear that weak defense to shreds.

What a pile of assdick that handball was.

I'm hoping Germany and Argentina will actually produce a decent game of football today. Yesterdays matches were very poor in terms of quality for quarter finals.

Netherlands were incredibly jammy. The match descended into diving and cynical fouling very quickly. How Van Bommel and, to a lesser extent, De Jong stayed on the pitch is beyond me, but the refereeing is so poor nowadays, anyway, so no surprises. Brazil's temperament blew it for them.

Uruguay v Ghana was also disappointing football-wise but was very exciting for the last minute and the penalties. Ghana had no composure whatsoever, particularly when near the goal.

*Prays Messi shows how beautiful football can be today*

Van Bommel is a smart player. After his first foul he had a short talk with the referee. After that he had no problems. Just stay buddies with the ref, especially if the other team protests a lot. Besides, the Dutch are known for their fouls. Remember Holland - Portugal four years ago?

Good first half, Germany has the Argentinians under control. It would surprise me if Diego's men are still able to win this game.

lol I saw a report that said that mick jagger was supporting argentina in the seats of the stadium,and he also did the same whit usa,england and brazil in the games where they lost

This world cup shows that teams have their bad days. I like it that in Hockey they have basically mini tournaments (series) between teams which really measures the teams skill against one another. Basically first to 4 wins the series then moves on.

I know that obviously this can't happen in soccer because it would take too long/cost too much but it just goes to show you, no matter how many great players you have in the past present or future or no matter how many championships a team has under their belt or whatever reputation they're carrying - slip ups happen and bad days happen, you just have to pray that they happen early on in the tournament and not in the elimination rounds.

This has been a great world cup so far (aside from those damn vuvuzela's) and I hope every single team prepares twice as hard for the next world cup because each team gets better and better every 4 years.

Now that Brazil is out, my 2nd team was Argentina, since that didn't pan out, I'm going for Spain then Germany.

GG for all the teams that made the world cup, but didn't make it to the end.

I would go for uruguay next

was wanting to see paraguay but was glad spain won

still hope uruguay get far

I believe it will be a Germany v Netherlands final, and I hope it will be Netherlands that win, although the German's performance against Argentina really makes that sound ludicrously unlikely.

Netherlands should beat Uruguay though - they've got an easy enough ride until the final.

Seconded. Even though Suarez tainted his sportsmanship with that last handball, it would be great to see them go through to the end.

maradona also did the handball and see how many people likes him

What myth would that be?

I think is cuz of maraodna being such good player in his days and such

still I dont think this defeat will be bad for argentina,they lost in the previous tournament too and see how many people liked them in this world cup

The Germans have been playing some amazing football, and their team has five or six players who won the under-21 World Cup last year. It is amazing that these youngsters are doing so well when before the tournament they were barely heard of here in the UK and I guess most other countries.

I can't get over the fact that Schweinsteiger has played nearly 80 games for Germany and he is only 25? And that Klose has scored more goals in the World Cup than he did all last season for Bayern! Amazing :D

Germany ftw.

I REALLY need the Netherlands to lose.

This NED - URU game gave me a good excuse to get up at 6:30....

*Waits for someone to say that that goal wouldn't have changed the scoreline*.

Still, glad the dutch are in the final, I'd like them to win.

The refs have been really really shitty this whole world cup.

Not to use it against this win, but they really need to hire a couple more linesmen to determine whether the ball crossed the goal line. Heck, they need a couple more linesmen to determine whether an offside is actually an offside.

Woooo, shaky last few moments but weathered the storm :D I laughed at Marc Van Bommel eventually being yellow carded in injury time for time wasting after 200 cumulative fowls over 180 minutes resulting in NOTHING!

Clever stuff bringing Rafael on give that slightly more offensive midfield. It's only one game now, anything could happen!

Yes, Van Bommel seems to have ways with the refs. He is ridiculously late in most of his tackles.

Ah well, Holland had some good play, but also too much wobbly play. They need to be more secure to beat whoever they face in the final.

Back