Half-Life 2: Deathmatch Released

mine won't play either. seems to be a really widespread problem right now... possibly corrupted files due to high network traffic.

I'm digging through the Steam_etc.mdmp file that gets generated in my Steam\SteamApps\michaeldanger\half-life 2 folder after attempting to run it.

Something interesting I see in there are references to files I don't have installed, e.g. probably something that was installed on the development computers at Valve, that have their path still in the code somewhere. A couple of examples:

C:\hl2_rel\src\launcher\Release\launcher.pdb
C:\hl2_rel\src\filesystem\filesystem_stdio\Release_STEAM\filesystem_steam.pdb
u:\p4clients\rel_beta\Projects\GazelleProto\Client\Engine\VC70_Release_Static\SteamEngine.pdb
U:\rel\src\materialsystem\shaderdx8\Release\shaderapidx9.pdb
u:\p4clients\taylor_valve_cser\ThirdPartyCode\DebugNet\Release\BugslayerUtil.pdb

Something like a U: drive generally means a network drive, which is also what makes me think those are specific development paths. I'm not sure if that really has anything to do with the problem we're all experiencing, since it all does seem to work for a fortunate few, but it's all interesting nonetheless.

i tired clicking in the .exe and it said "gameinfo.txt doesnt exist". does this mean anything? maybe the files are corrupted?

OMG i just looked on browse games and you can play resistance vs. combine!!!!1 how kewl! NOW WORK STEAM, YOU PILE OF CRAP!

I get something similar Suicide, only my error box says "This application has failed to start because Steam.dll was not found. Re-installing the application may fix this problem."

I have indeed tried re-installing - no luck!

I have teh fix!

Roll your computer up in a bundle of dynamite and throw it down the street!

maybe you guys should be more patient?
For me it worked perfectly, it just took some time. And even if Steam is started and ready it still D/L some files.. so all you have to do is wait a little more before playing. I don't think that you've encountered a bug.

Oh and im playin' on ISDN smooth as silk, if the server is decend.. so no way its only broad band, even though it might help

naa im off playin' again.. hf

I'm pretty sure the problem might lie during the process hl2.exe accesses the shaderapidx9.dll.

Also, checking on the HL2 update news link in their support section, it states that the latest fix was a fix related to incorrect buffer settings for video cards thereby causing crashes.

And for those saying "be patient," it is a bug, as Steam dumps the memory information into a file when hl2.exe crashes.

I meant to add that I also get a second error when trying to launch the exe by itslef, which is "Can't Load D:\Games\Steam\SteamApps\michaeldanger\half-life 2\bin\filesystem_steam.dll"

I wonder if this is a problem caused by not installing the game in the default path (C:\Program Files).

I feel sorry for all you who can't play, it works for me and it's frickin' sweat. There are radiators EVERYWHERE. Servers run fine on my wireless broadband if I pick the right one. Hard to get in to one since they are all full right now.

Patience...

Edit: BTW, what is up with all these passworded server?

OMG, I tried launching the game from the browse games window and it says "Cannot run game. You currently have another game launch in progress, please wait until that is complete"
It must be that when the game disappears to oblivion it actually still is trying to run in the background?

ACK! This is bullshit! What makes me more mad is that I can't run any HL2!! Grrrrrrr........ :angry:

i delete the local game contents and reinstalling to see if that does anything

To bed I go - I've spent enough time on this tonight!
Although it sucks that I can't play the game I bought earlier today, it doesn't suck as much as being a Valve employee coming into work in about 8 hours =)

Peace, out.

MichaelDanger said:
To bed I go - I've spent enough time on this tonight!
Although it sucks that I can't play the game I bought earlier today, it doesn't suck as much as being a Valve employee coming into work in about 8 hours =)

Peace, out.

cya. im off to do my english exam now, and when i come home im going to scream at steam some more. bye now.

cliffe said:
*Also: A Half-Life 2: Deathmatch Map Making Contest has been announced. The winning entry will receive a cash prize of $5,000. Two runner up entries will receive a cash prize of $3,000.
i think valve are being lazy on making maps :p

That was amazing fun! Physics + lag takes a little getting used to but it's worth every second! :D

I was playing on the Nova Prospekt map and there seems to be some way to stop the magnum spawning? Something to do with the electricity plug next to it?

A patch that stops all my Source based games from launching

I love this platform.

In fact, I love it so much, that I'm one step closer to returning this game.

Well hello, heres a notice HL2DM changes several configs in for HL2 which cuases the other source programs to Crash/not work at all. Do not Download Or use HL2DM unless you plan on reinstalling with out HL2DM

If you are having problems, do you have the SDK downloaded?

DaveInsurgent said:
A patch that stops all my Source based games from launching

I love this platform.

In fact, I love it so much, that I'm one step closer to returning this game.

Same problem here. So this is the first time i really hate this ****ing platform.

If you are having problems, do you have the SDK downloaded?

Nope. Would be totally stupid when you've got to download a development kit to play source based games.

I have the SDK downloaded, it's the only thing with a hl2.exe that still works, heh, but it uses a different executable than Half-Life 2/CS:S/HL:S/HL:DM.

Broken Steam after update

:flame: :flame: :flame: :flame: :flame: :flame:

WOOT! Don't care if this has broken any thing, wub VALVe.

hmm everything worked fine for me, whats broken?

I dont like HL2 DM personally, felt more like sink dodging with weak guns.

Back to CSS.

WTF WONT VALVE SAY ANYTHING!? a "We're working on something right now to figure out what's going on, we'll keep you posted when we find something" would be absolutely great!

DM came out 4 hours ago and it's now 1 AM where Valve is, and you expect them to start making announcements? Go to bed!

On that note, it is annoying when a gun disappears from it's respawn point.

Goto the e3 prison map, run around the sink and shower area throwing barrels at spawned combine.

There's your hl2dm.

azz0r said:
Goto the e3 prison map, run around the sink and shower area throwing barrels at spawned combine.

There's your hl2dm.

Well piss off then, if you're too good for it.

DM came out 4 hours ago and it's now 1 AM where Valve is, and you expect them to start making announcements? Go to bed!

Then perhaps it should have been released with some buffer time so that they could address any problems.

Many gamers sleep mesesd up hours. This is no secret. The time of day that something is released at is no excuse.

This is just ****ing absurd. How does one screw something up like this? I can't even fathom it.

ThrasherX9 said:
WTF WONT VALVE SAY ANYTHING!? a "We're working on something right now to figure out what's going on, we'll keep you posted when we find something" would be absolutely great!
Is this what you wanted?
cliff said:
We're working on a fix, should be out in a few minutes.
That is from this thread:
http://www.halflife2.net/forums/showthread.php?t=58190

He posted in there just a couple of minutes ago.

spamdog said:
Well piss off then, if you're too good for it.

Oh stop crying - not everyones blinded by the Valve love.

ferment said:

On that note, it is annoying when a gun disappears from it's respawn point.

For one, Valve released it late late in the day, 9PM their time. Secondly they should be prepared for anything to go wrong instead of "Well, I'm sure everything will be just fine. Good night, hope I didn't **** anyone over!".

I heard HL2DM was released and a minute later my doorbal rang with the delivery of HL²: Raising the bar.

Schweet.

Back