Half-Life 2 Delay Discussion Thread

"Half-Life 2 still remains one of the most anticipated games of the holiday shopping season, especially now that it's scheduled to release during the holiday shopping season."
(http://pc.ign.com/articles/431/431079p1.html?fromint=1)

Haha So true. As much as I wanted to play this game on September the 30th Im not gonna go crazy over this. This gives me more time to save up for upgrades, and I will be able to buy components that will run the game faster. If a 9800Pro runs HL2 at pretty much full spec, than the next card will run it even faster and prettier, and if you dont have the money for the best card, the 9800 Pro will be down in price then. Its both a blessing and a curse. It depends on how you look at it.

On a slightly lighter note, It appears steam is preloading movie #5, I know that doesnt seem important right now, Just mentioning it hehe.

Edit: It's set to go active tonight at 4pm PST (expect it tommorow)

Also I think people should be contacting Doug Lombardi instead of Gabe Newell, Doug is valves marketting director and it is his job to answer this stuff.

gulp

"If you have been to E3 of 2003, you will probably think this game is the best thing ever, but the truth is, a lot of events in the tech demo shown in E3 are entirely scripted, so the game is probably not going to be 100% as good as in E3...

maybe only 60%, I would say..."

It doesn't matter how many new sites post this info bit, they all got it from the same source anyway so it's the same as 1 site, got it? =e This topic is still just speculation until someone at Valve releases us from our agony :p

Or this might be another Valve's leet evil plan. They will keep the 30 sep only for Steam, and release the Vivendi's boxed versions like 2 months later! who knows :b

Originally posted by Shanks
gulp

"If you have been to E3 of 2003, you will probably think this game is the best thing ever, but the truth is, a lot of events in the tech demo shown in E3 are entirely scripted, so the game is probably not going to be 100% as good as in E3...

maybe only 60%, I would say..."

I think not, They are holding out on us bigtime... I'm positive of it.

Half-Life 2 will rock and so will all the mods made for it... with that aspect included this game has limitless potential.

Or this might be another Valve's leet evil plan. They will keep the 30 sep only for Steam, and release the Vivendi's boxed versions like 2 months later! who knows :b [/B]

I highly doubt it, if they did this they would lose a lot of customers to warez... people are just impatient.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just my Two cents people, If in fact this game is delayed you won't hear a single complaint out of me. Too many games nowadays are being rushed out before actual completion and they turn out to be dissapointing with minor bugs or some missing content.

Delaying a game only makes it better, and I would rather wait for a completely finished product as opposed to getting one not quite finished.

I trust valve's judgement and I know they would only delay the game for said purpose.

damn big bad rumor peeps making little hl2 fans cry..

c'mon. if gabe tells us it will mkae the date then it will make the date..30 september it is!

As long as they don't rush it :p

I don't want to push them too hard to get it out fast just cuz they said they would.

Also the more you e-mail gabe, the less time he spends working on the game.

Originally posted by Zigrah
Just my Two cents people, If in fact this game is delayed you won't hear a single complaint out of me. Too many games nowadays are being rushed out before actual completion and they turn out to be dissapointing with minor bugs or some missing content.

Delaying a game only makes it better, and I would rather wait for a completely finished product as opposed to getting one not quite finished.

I trust valve's judgement and I know they would only delay the game for said purpose.

I agree with you, but there is one BIG thing missing in your logic: The person who knows whether the game needs a delay for fixing/finishing is Gabe Newell of Valve. He would be the one to decide, announce, and schedule any delay if the game needed finishing.

The fact of the matter is that he hasn't heard of the delay, so there are two possible options:

1. Vivendi is delaying the game for business/money reasons, and Valve can't do jack about it.
2. There's been some huge miscommunication.

I'm one of the reviewers at http://www.gameclubcentral.com and we have also posted the delayed bit. According to our little news clip Vivendi has been quietly letting the media know, meaning they've probably sent out an e-mail to the news sites, rather than publishing some big press release. I'm not one of the news guys at Game Club Central, so I wouldn't have seen it. I also haven't spoken to that guy yet, so I'm not even sure if we did in fact get an e-mail or he's just grabbing it from the other sites.

I can see Vivendi stating this without being told by VALVe for several reasons.

One, they might want to be on the safe side. The original Half-Life kinda single-handedly screwed over Sierra's quarterly earnings estimates five quarters in a row because of its delays. If Vivendi operates under the assumption that Half-Life 2 will be delayed then it's all smiles and giggles when the game ships before their delayed date.

Two, Activision kinda did the same thing when it announced Doom III's delay... I think. They said Doom III would be released in 2004, but openly admitted it's up to iD when the game is released, and that iD is still operating under 'When it's done.' The 2004 delay was just their estimate as to when iD would be finished with the game. As far as I know iD still hasn't confirmed or denied 2004. Vivendi may have just been monitering the progress of the game as usual, and then decided on its own that September 30th seems unrealistic.

Sorry if I sound like im ranting but i cant wait that long for a game. Seriously we have been waiting so long and now we have to wait more , I know it aint there fault , but this is kind of getting dumb now. ; ( Holiday season is around December , thats another 4 months. I Just hope this is all fake.

*whimper*

its not that bad though cause it gives me time to save up for the radeon 9800.

No no no please tell me it's not true!!@@EW&@1111!

Please no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no non o no o no no no no no no no no no no non ono onndfgsdv dfgplmdcv :flame: :flame: :flame: :flame: :bounce: :borg:

HAGGGGHDFJXCCN

NOOOO!

Originally posted by CyberGeek
I can see Vivendi stating this without being told by VALVe for several reasons.

One, they might want to be on the safe side. The original Half-Life kinda single-handedly screwed over Sierra's quarterly earnings estimates five quarters in a row because of its delays. If Vivendi operates under the assumption that Half-Life 2 will be delayed then it's all smiles and giggles when the game ships before their delayed date.

Two, Activision kinda did the same thing when it announced Doom III's delay... I think. They said Doom III would be released in 2004, but openly admitted it's up to iD when the game is released, and that iD is still operating under 'When it's done.' The 2004 delay was just their estimate as to when iD would be finished with the game. As far as I know iD still hasn't confirmed or denied 2004. Vivendi may have just been monitering the progress of the game as usual, and then decided on its own that September 30th seems unrealistic.

a well-written, informative post. thanks for the info, insight, and i hope you'll be around here more often!

Originally posted by Tork
Sorry if I sound like im ranting but i cant wait that long for a game. Seriously we have been waiting so long and now we have to wait more , I know it aint there fault , but this is kind of getting dumb now. ; ( Holiday season is around December , thats another 4 months. I Just hope this is all fake.

Are you serious?! We just found out about HL2 at E3 this year and you're complaining that we've had to wait too long? Give me a break. Another 3 months (or less, since 3 months from Sept 30th would be Dec 30th, thus holiday season) is not going to kill you. There are quite a few people on this board who are going overkill over this release. If HL2 doesn't come out on Sept. 30th, HELL if it doesn't come out at all, it's not going to be the end of the world.

Originally posted by Sirius
Another 3 months (or less, since 3 months from Sept 30th would be Dec 30th

Im talking about right now , its July 30 , from now to Dec 30Th would be 4/5 months , If it still set to Sept 30 then it would of been only 2 months. They bring your hopes up and bam! inject you with that stuff and it seems like it will never be released. 4/5 months is alot trust me. Lets just hope it releases on Sept 30.:cheers:

Sadly, I am beginning to believe the speculation. But oh well, it gives me plenty of time to save up for my new motherboard and RAM. My crappy mobo only allows the use of PC133 SDRAM! They don't even make that stuff anymore, and this comps only a year and a few months old :( My Radeon 9700 Pro can start pumping out the big time FPS rates the second I upgrade to the Kingston 3200 HyperX RAM, with a SOYO Platinum Ultra, P4X400.

Supposedly that board does not support HyperX, but a man I know who has been custom building PC's for many years got it working :) Nice board that will support my P4 1.7gh processor and that hella fast memory. Total price: nearly $250 dollars.

I don't have a job at the moment, but pull in $25 a week for doing crap jobs around the house. It'll all be worth it in 10 weeks :)

Originally posted by Tork
Im talking about right now , its July 30 , from now to Dec 30Th would be 4/5 months , If it still set to Sept 30 then it would of been only 2 months. They bring your hopes up and bam! inject you with that stuff and it seems like it will never be released. 4/5 months is alot trust me. Lets just hope it releases on Sept 30.:cheers:

I agree fully , 2 months is a long time. 5 is basically half of a year. Also this sets HL2 up for a long series of Delays. Its really up to Valve and vivendi to get this game out the door on Sept 30. CS:CZ has given everyone a sour taste and reminder of Valve release dates. They should try to prove that reputation wrong now.

I find it curious that the gaming sites aren't actually quoting Vivendi Universal at all but rather "reliable sources" which I've learned can mean anything at all. Further more, none of these gaming sites seem the least bit interested in contacting Valve regarding the rumor.

I'm not going to believe the delay rumor until Valve confirms it themselves.

Proof of HL2 newsites copying

http://www.halflife2news.com/

Look down 2 news articles.

Just saw on Gamespot that Half-Life 2 won't be available on the September 30. According to Vivendi Universal, the game is now schedule for the holiday season, with no specific date.

September 30? It was too good to be true...

Quick update: nw909 from the steam forums got word from Gabe Newell about the delay of the game:
First time I've heard about this.

So... there is still hope

See, one site could have just spread a rumor about a delay, then all the other sites copy it and put it into their own words to make it seem real. Hopefully this can calm some of you down. :)

EDIT- They closed down my thread, so I'll post this in here.

Edit- was posting in zeus's thread but it closed. all good. at least 8 of them already :p

I hardly find this surprising. happens all the time.

not neccisarily a good thing, but each tries to serve their own community (as our news posters do, hopefully while attributing more of the credit to the original source), and often don't put a whole lot of effort into confirmation. the internet is a very effecient rumor-machine.

with an apparent denial from Gabe, it's dissapointing that so many sites seem to readily believe this (which I don't, as of yet).

-Phision

vivendi is the publisher right? so .. maybe gabe didnt hear about it...

But they would have told him before anyone else...

wtf... they had 5 years to get this all ready and im sure they're close to finished...

why would vivendi delay it?.... god damn..:flame:

volvo did not release full information such as what multi the game will have ... so on, becuase they know they are going to release it in xmaz, so there going to be time in the future to release the information for the fans.

In other words we need to wait for Gabe to tell us whats really happend?

do you agree?:cool:

Originally posted by Sirius
Are you serious?! We just found out about HL2 at E3 this year and you're complaining that we've had to wait too long? Give me a break. Another 3 months (or less, since 3 months from Sept 30th would be Dec 30th, thus holiday season) is not going to kill you. There are quite a few people on this board who are going overkill over this release. If HL2 doesn't come out on Sept. 30th, HELL if it doesn't come out at all, it's not going to be the end of the world.

Well, after hearing that Valve was confident with a September 30th release, the HL community started to have faith in Valve and then when they hear of a delay, they get mad because they felt that Valve let them down.....we havent been waiting that long....please we have been waiting for 5 FREAKIN YEARS! though we didnt really have a offical announcement of HL2 until April ro May, we all knew they were going to have a sequal.

Whatever happens, happens. All I know is lets get CS:CZ out 1st no matter what happens!

On the other hand, the fact that Valve has failed to immediately squash this rumor does not fill me with confidence.

Originally posted by Gorgon
did Gabe answerd the fans, if this news is true?:dozey:
Wonder if he has the new link to this board?
I'm also surprised at the lack of an official follow up.
FS and Bluesnews are staying quiet.

Maybe they're trying to see how POd the fans would really get.

Well, if the suits are reading this, I'm POd.

Its valve who choses the release date, and i havnt heard them say anything about it yet,.

I sent him an e-mail late last night. Well, me and probably about a million other anxious gamers. What he really needs to do is put together a comprehensive press release that either categorically denies the rumor or (and I hope it doesn't come to this) confirms the rumor with a clear explanation for the delay and why they so adamently promoted September 30th as the release date in the first place.

Edit: POd (pronounced pee-ode): "pissed off" which is slang for "really freakin' upset."

I am sure that Valve, Sierra, & Vivendi are having telephone conversations right now to get this situation straightened out once and for all. Multiple time-zones, schedules, and accountability issues will complicate these talks.

This bruhaha is more about corporate mis-communications than it is about Valve or Gabe's reputation. Whoever it was at Vivendi (if it was anyone) who contacted the gaming news people sure has some explaining to do as to why they contacted the press before they contacted Valve.

Frankly, I hope no one loses their job over this, but I also hope that this will be a good lesson to the PR executives and gaming press about propriety. Maybe this fiasco will even make it into the "Making Of Half-Life 2" book.

Right now, all we have are unsubstantiated rumors. Hopefully we'll hear something official by the end of today's business day.

Given that the only attribution I've seen for this rumor so far is "reliable sources" I'm lead to believe that it didn't come from official channels.

The more I think about it the more it sounds better.

-Meaning I can get my parents to buy me a new computer. Just in time for christmas.

-I can also get my parents to buy me HL2 easier.

-School is over during holidays and I can play the singleplayer without any fears of marks going down.

If they took the time and made it a clean clean polished product. Which I beleive they will, then it will make alot of people happy.

Back