Half-Life 2 goes gold. [GAMESPOT RUMOR CONTROL]

im not taking this too seriously right now since VU and Valve have declined comment on the situation.

Dr. Freeman said:
im not taking this too seriously right now since VU and Valve have declined comment on the situation.
If anything, that is probably a good sign.

If it hadn't gone gold, they would have no reason not to shoot it down.

Dr. Freeman said:

Declining comment is usally a sign it's true. If it was false, VALVe would flat out say "no." Like they have in the past..

Shuzer said:
Declining comment is usally a sign it's true. If it was false, VALVe would flat out say "no." Like they have in the past..

Or Gabe's favorite word, "Bogus".

has anyone bothered to check the .php thing on the official hl2 website? remember the move=s. i would go check but drunken laziness is consuming me.

travisneary said:
has anyone bothered to check the .php thing on the official hl2 website? remember the move=s. i would go check but drunken laziness is consuming me.
still says "this was not a test."

Gamespot has been really really reliable, in my experience anyway, with their rumor control stuff. This must be true, have faith in the Gamespot.

id be willing to bet the pinata was full of candy
everything associated with Gabe is food. sry :p
hope this is real

hmmm, theoretically, it can still make the Nov. 2nd date :D But probably not.

It makes me feel so glad that I all ready have Half-Life 2 payed for, so I'll be able to play it right off.

SaiboT said:
cause people are assholes

Unfortunately they are. Valve have been extremely receptive to the community by and large, and it's a shame to see how some people repay them by acting like idiots.

why wouldnt they comment ? the last time somthing lke this happened they were quick to say false or not true soo this has to be true.

P43.2/1Gig/X800P said:
why wouldnt they comment ? the last time somthing lke this happened they were quick to say false or not true soo this has to be true.

I just keep wondering why peopke keep saying they've declined to comment, when they've done nothing of the sort according to Gamespot's report.

Gamespot said:
What we heard: Ever since the release candidate for Half-Life 2 was submitted to VU Games in mid-September, a piñata has hung in the lobby of Valve's headquarters. The plan: to bust the sucker open when the game achieved gold status. Earlier today, GameSpot learned from an informed sourced that "the piñata has been broken" and the game has gone gold. Further evidence of the game's completion was a press release issued this afternoon touting the first review of "the entire game." Though nothing official has been announced yet, it appears the fat lady is at last clearing her throat.

'Nothing has been officially announced' could just mean Gamespot hasn't been able to get in touch with VUG or Valve as of yet to ascertain an answer. But they won't give one anyway.

No doubt they'll do it on their own watch and in a manner of their own choosing.

Helevitia said:
hmmm, theoretically, it can still make the Nov. 2nd date :D But probably not.

I may be wrong but HL took 10 days between gold and release. and doom 3 took 15 days.

so it wouldn't be impossible to see a early nov. release.

Concept said:
I just keep wondering why peopke keep saying they've declined to comment, when they've done nothing of the sort according to Gamespot's report.

'Nothing has been officially announced' could just mean Gamespot hasn't been able to get in touch with VUG or Valve as of yet to ascertain an answer. But they won't give one anyway.

No doubt they'll do it on their own watch and in a manner of their own choosing.
Source: If we told you, we'd have to kill you.

The official story: Both VU Games and Valve declined comment.

What we heard: Ever since the release candidate for Half-Life 2 was submitted to VU Games in mid-September, a piñata has hung in the lobby of Valve's headquarters. The plan: to bust the sucker open when the game achieved gold status. Earlier today, GameSpot learned from an informed sourced that "the piñata has been broken" and the game has gone gold. Further evidence of the game's completion was a press release issued this afternoon touting the first review of "the entire game." Though nothing official has been announced yet, it appears the fat lady is at last clearing her throat.

Bogus or not bogus?: Not bogus.

Look at this

Agent.M said:
Further evidence of the game's completion was a press release issued this afternoon touting the first review of "the entire game."

What do they mean by first review of "the entire game"?

HL2 + HL2 Multiplayer? (I'm keeping my fingers crossed)

Kohman77 said:
id be willing to bet the pinata was full of candy
everything associated with Gabe is food. sry :p
hope this is real

Candy gibs and none other!

anything can happen. it could go gold and come out a day after :smoking:

or it could come in weeks...its another wait for all of us

frusion said:
anything can happen. it could go gold and come out a day after :smoking:

or it could come in weeks...its another wait for all of us

Actually it has to go to packing first so it could take a week and a half or maybe a whole month.

dream431ca said:
Actually it has to go to packing first so it could take a week and a half or maybe a whole month.
yeah i know... i just want the damn game ASAP :cheese:

Robinhood_01 said:
If only we could play it over steam the second it does go gold

well, even "gold" is a left over from the days of CDs and DVDs - online distribution means that wenever valve thinks it's done, they could release it. Too bad for the software distribution agreement with vivendi.

Erm.. this has 'fake' written on it. Considering this email that has Gabe confirming they have no Pinata that is already posted in the valve questions/anwsers thread.

Then again, look at the Sent: date. They could have gotten one since then.. But im willing to bet this is all bogus info once again.

Don't know. The original was a surprise.

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Thursday, September 16, 2004 12:17 PM
To: Gabe Newell
Subject: Headcrab pinata - i know you have one ....

Hi gabe

I was wondering if anyone at valve or your relations has made a Headcrab
Pinata for when VU games give the all clear and you go gold

Just like this one from gamespot when half life went gold
http://www.gamespot.com/features/ha...l/screen33.html

If you have one can u take some pictures of it

Thanks Gabe

Alex Markham

Back