*~*Half-Life 2 preload begins August 17*~*

Ok well if Vivendi was smart they would have had all the other stuff made by now

Yay... :)

I'll be moving the day after it starts preloading, and may not get to play Half-Life 2 until after it's been out a while... but... yay...

Well guys. notice he said things that dont change will start preloading. so that could mean just the shit theyre sure isnt gonna need improvement will be pre-loading. that could mean they still have shit to work on.

Lol, if Valve does miss the pre-load date, its gonna be funny to see all the "OMG! Valve is teh coolest!" posts turn into "Valve sucks! They fooked us over! Again! #&%$!". Either way, we're up for some high quality entertainment. Good times.

guinny said:
Well guys. notice he said things that dont change will start preloading. so that could mean just the shit theyre sure isnt gonna need improvement will be pre-loading. that could mean they still have shit to work on.
All they have been doing is bug testing, that means maps probably won't come, the .exe won't come and the .dll files won't come. They have them all complete but debugging can take a very long time.

As long as I can see progress being made, I'm a happy guy. Thanks for the news. :)

But isn't the SDK supposed to be out before the game is released? In either case at least it's going to preload early which is good news. Unless they miss the preload like they did with CS:S. But let's hope not... I mean it's just textures and sound... those have to be done.

Son_Kane said:
But isn't the SDK supposed to be out before the game is released?
I know they said that 1 or a 100 times but i'm pretty sure plans have changed. SDK after the game now.

Well how about a benchmark? We are going to have it all and it's supposed to be bug free right? So how can they not make 90 seconds of gameplay as a benchmark? Just so I can tell myself I don't need a new computer yet.

And you are probably right about the SDK plans changing. I mean why let us know anyway? I'm just hopeful that's all.

Son_Kane said:
I mean it's just textures and sound... those have to be done.
it's not JUST textures and sounds... i predict that they will send everything except maps (maybe maps will come, i don't know) and the engine (exe, dlls, etc)... and they will send those when the game goes gold

Mr. Redundant said:
I am so almost ready to make that my sig, unfortunately I dont believe we will be seeing hl2 this month, or the next.
I really hate being so negative..
remember how I was back in the day Dr. Freeman? :)

ah well.

hehe yeah i remember those days Mr. Redundant.. u were one of the most optimistic members here back then.. even after September 30th u had some hope.. but yeah i can understand ur frustration and negativity.

i hope this bit of news hopefully has swayed u just a tad.. we need more pple on the "optimistic train" cause its pretty empty these days.

let me just take this post to point out that i think all these delays probably raised ur expectations of Doom3.. and perhaps thats why ur disappointed.. i hope ur not expecting HL1 like leaps and bounds as far as HL2 is concerned. :)

Mr-Fusion said:
CS:S beta accomplishes the same thing as a benchmark.

negative! negative!

CS:S does NOT accomplish the same thing as a HL2 benchmark, as it doesn't have the:

-scripted sequences
-AI
-more complex environments
-more physics content including the manipulator
-more complex models

all these things would impact framerate

There's extra source engine test type things within the beta apparently. I don't know what exactly, but it's not only dust. I'll try and dig up where i read that.

The Mullinator said:
All they have been doing is bug testing, that means maps probably won't come, the .exe won't come and the .dll files won't come. They have them all complete but debugging can take a very long time.

You are forgetting the "Bug Free by the 5th" date. Even if they are behind this target they can't be THAT far behind. CS:Source was meant to start Pre-loading on the 5th, which was the same day as the "Bug Free" date. (This would've still given Cyber Cafés a weekend to play it if it was unlocked for them on the 6th).

It's my personal belief that the reason that CS:S wasn't uploaded is because they get bug free on time. But it's been uploaded now, which implies that they consider Half-Life 2 bug free.

God, I'm not sure what I'm talking about, so I'll get to the point. I think the maps will come because the only thing that needs to be changed is the engine.

Feath said:
God, I'm not sure what I'm talking about, so I'll get to the point. I think the maps will come because the only thing that needs to be changed is the engine.

not true, young padawan... the maps would have to be tweaked along with the engine. for example: say there is a bug that keeps scripted sequences from ending... they just loop and loop. the engine would have to be tweaked to keep this from happening... but that map's scripted sequence would have to be tweaked as well to be compatible with the new scripted sequence coding

thehunter1320 said:
not true, young padawan... the maps would have to be tweaked along with the engine. for example: say there is a bug that keeps scripted sequences from ending... they just loop and loop. the engine would have to be tweaked to keep this from happening... but that map's scripted sequence would have to be tweaked as well to be compatible with the new scripted sequence coding

I'd be interested to know how you think CS:S is going to test scripted sequences.

Like I said, Half-Life 2 is probably apparently Bug Free as far as Valve are concerned. They are testing for little things (Gabe Example: Widescreen mode not working with version of bios on certain graphics cards). The testing of the maps and scripted sequences is probably complete.

EDIT: By the way I'm sorry for not making much sense, or if my tone seems a bit harsh. I haven't had much sleep, it's nothing against anyone.

Feath said:
You are forgetting the "Bug Free by the 5th" date. Even if they are behind this target they can't be THAT far behind. CS:Source was meant to start Pre-loading on the 5th, which was the same day as the "Bug Free" date. (This would've still given Cyber Cafés a weekend to play it if it was unlocked for them on the 6th).

It's my personal belief that the reason that CS:S wasn't uploaded is because they get bug free on time. But it's been uploaded now, which implies that they consider Half-Life 2 bug free.

HL2 was bug free according to the testing procedures that they have been using, of course more testing will reveal more bugs. The "Bug free" date was when they estimated they could send a release copy to Vivendi so that Vivendi could do its own testing. Vivendi could send it back to Valve for more tweaking and then Valve could be ready for another "Bug free" date. Its only going to go gold once Vivendi decides it can. Valve may consider the game done but its Vivendi that will actually make the decision on that.

The Mullinator said:
HL2 was bug free according to the testing procedures that they have been using, of course more testing will reveal more bugs. The "Bug free" date was when they estimated they could send a release copy to Vivendi so that Vivendi could do its own testing. Vivendi could send it back to Valve for more tweaking and then Valve could be ready for another "Bug free" date. Its only going to go gold once Vivendi decides it can. Valve may consider the game done but its Vivendi that will actually make the decision on that.

Thus spoketh, the harbinger of doom retreats into the murky shadows whence he came. :)

Feath said:
I'd be interested to know how you think CS:S is going to test scripted sequences.

Like I said, Half-Life 2 is probably apparently Bug Free as far as Valve are concerned. They are testing for little things (Gabe Example: Widescreen mode not working with version of bios on certain graphics cards). The testing of the maps and scripted sequences is probably complete.

it was an example, other things like that could come up after the 17th... and we'll just have to wait how big the pre-load is to determine whats in it... i estimate the engine itself is 150-200 MB... and Gabe said the game would be 2GB compressed (in a .GCF i presume)... so if the pre-load is like 1.7GB-1.8GB... :D

thehunter1320 said:
it was an example, other things like that could come up after the 17th... a

Actually, I submit. I agree with what you are saying, now that Mullinator mentioned stuff.

Well thank god. :p

Now, instead of threads asking what brand of pants the G-man wears, we'll have threads asking what brand of pants the pre-load wears.

Now I just need to get me an adequate PC. :)

redrain85 said:
Gabe made an interesting post on Half-Life Source. (Scroll about halfway down the page to see it.)

http://www.halflifesource.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10616&page=2&pp=19

I wonder what he meant by that? That the testing of of CS:S is irrelevant to the release status of HL2?
Gabe Newell said:
The engine test (CS:Source plus de_dust) for cyber-cafe's started pre-loading at 6. This has nothing to do with Half-Life 2.

Gabe
I think he means that the event of pre-loading CS:S is completely unrelated to HL2. Although he may have meant that the beta testing of CS:S won't effect HL2 but I find that scenerio unlikely.

They can easily ship HL2 (without CS:S) and then let people download CS:S if they want to, but since all those dilays and metal anguish, they better give us a whole lot of extra software with the release.

Do you guys realize, the game most of us here on this forum have been following since last may, is very close to being in our hands? Its almost inconceivable.

guinny said:
Do you guys realize, the game most of us here on this forum have been following since last may, is very close to being in our hands? Its almost inconceivable.

the thought of the HL2 box, against my salad fingers is almost ORGASMIC

so what does this pre loading date really mean? will half-life 2 be available for online purchase on august 17? or will this just apply to those who have a half life 2 key from an ati card purchase? im slightly confused.
and since audio and textures are being preloaded, wouldnt this be the majority of diskspace used by the game? im presuming the engine code and map codes etc dont take up much space.

BigJack said:
so what does this pre loading date really mean? will half-life 2 be available for online purchase on august 17? or will this just apply to those who have a half life 2 key from an ati card purchase? im slightly confused.
and since audio and textures are being preloaded, wouldnt this be the majority of diskspace used by the game? im presuming the engine code and map codes etc dont take up much space.

The pre-load means that we should have HL2 within 3 - 5 weeks at best. Maybe before then, i dunno, i don't work for Valve

For all those who are confused just chill out, nothing major in terms of actually playing the game is happening (even if this means your one step cloer to it). Just the start of pre-loading some content that we cant even touch. Shesh... people are gonna go crazy when the gold announcement comes.

if you read my question, i was really asking does it mean half-life 2 will be purchasable online on august 17? if not, on whose computers will the content be preloaded upon?

Really hope its true, preloading hl2 onto my computer should be interesting "Hey I got most of hl2 on my comp but cant use it!" Ohh the evilness... :(

guinny said:

quoted for emphasis, n3wbs

BigJack said:
if you read my question, i was really asking does it mean half-life 2 will be purchasable online on august 17? if not, on whose computers will the content be preloaded upon?

we don't know... maybe; anyone who wants to can pre-load HL2 (there will be a dialouge that comes up asking if you want to pre-load on the 17th)

thehunter1320 said:
we don't know... maybe; anyone who wants to can pre-load HL2 (there will be a dialouge that comes up asking if you want to pre-load on the 17th)

That's how it worked with CS:CZ and Codename: Gordon, so it is entirely possible that this is going to be the case

Back