Half-Life 2 : Substance mod

A panel is what VGUI2 uses to do almost everything menu related. The scoreboard, for example, is a panel. They're explained in the documentation for the SDK coding, as far as I remember.

-Angry Lawyer

Angry Lawyer: can I create a new panel with a console command,like I can edit an existant one with ctrl alt shift b?

EDIT 1
6 forms are too many,one can't decide between them and each of them does not enough to justify a such big ammo loss. Sticking to 1 weapon only is not fun. The forms are acquired 3 by 3 at 1/6 and 1/2 of the game: it's okay when you are before the 1/2,because you don't have that many weapons after all and losing 2 of 3 while still having one that has unlimited ammo is not that bad. But later is unbearable,you don't get enough from the forms. The latter 3 must contain the previous 3,so you'll have 2 sets of infinite weapons and special skills at the same time,and only really 3 more powerful forms to choose from. What do you suggest? I'd go for:

1/6 vulcan raven (smg1,bullet time) + 1/2 sniperwolf (sg550,bugbait expansion)

1/6 ocelot (eagle,ggun expansion) + 1/2 liquid (napalm/grenade,regen)

1/6 gray fox (crossbow,speed) + 1/2 snake (pistol,stealth)

EDIT2
ok,it's decided this way: 3 forms only will be available for the first half of the game,not so powerful. Then 3 new ones will be added,that will reprise and upgrade the old ones leaving them with little use whatsoever. (as stated above) Also the new zero ammo requirements are MUCH MORE simpler now and actually can be memorized. Here they are:

Gray Fox and Solid Snake forms requirements:
empty weapon slot 2+3

Vulcan Raven and Sniperwolf forms requirements:
empty weapon slot 2+4

Revolver Ocelot and Liquid Snake forms requirements:
empty weapon slot 4+6

EDIT3
a frequently expressed desire by the players is having the OICW/FN2000 work a little more as it normally does. So let's give the flaregun the old colt model recolored,let's trash the XM8 model which I never liked totally and give the fastshotgun-like weapon the FN2000 recolored model. Also with a precision shoot when zoomed and a burning fatality.

henkjan: about a week,more or less. There's been a bit of turmoil recently after the first 1.0X testing,in fact you can see that the HEV Forms page on the site is totally changed now (for better!)

EDIT
I have a question for you english-speakers: how do you call better the separate submenus of the onscreen weapon selection menu,"weapon slots" or "weapon buckets"?

I need other infos as well: number of bullets in a real USP/Desert Eagle

i'm really liking this mod, it just keeps getting better and better.

however i think the general consensus is that most people want the sniper rifle disintegrate off. Or at least slow down the the disintegrate effect and give the bullet some force so that we can see the target get pushed by the bullet before it goes poof.

also if you are going to keep it disintegrating stuff, have it do the same to corpses.

also here's an idea for a weapon. make some sort of gravity grenade. have a grenade that has 2 "explosions" the first explosion could have a warp shader and feature a strong negative push. (if you ever set the pushscale to negative numbers in hl2 stuff flies into explosions rather than away) second explosion could have a strong outward push. IT would make a cool contracting and expanding effect.

FlyingDebris: I think we can change the total disintegration in a superggun disintegration,so corpses get black and float in the air before disappear in a muzzle... believe me when I say I've tried everything with those damn corpses,but they seem to enjoy staying there doing nothing (!) no matter what you try. I need more help (people) to do the contraction explosion,alone we 2 can't do that yet...

today's news is the :devil: DOOMSDAY BUG :devil:
I don't know where in the development of the 1.0X,the 084 savegames became not compatible. I don't think the fault is in the HEV Forms,that were already present in the working 1.0T (they were just not playable): I point my finger to the colored HUD new reference system

EDIT
a no-news actually,I strongly suspect it was all my fault when copying the DLLs... The 1.0T download was down,I reuploaded it: go see if you like more the flaregun,M3 and FN2000 looks now (they still work the same),let's start with a little 1.0X feedback...

hi, first off, i love the mod, makes half life 2 so fresh when you play it again.

I have one problem with it, alot of times when i try to load a game, or quick load while i'm playing, it boots me back to the main menu, and then when i try to load again it kicks me out of the game. The only way i can play again is to load the level i'm on through the console. But this brings me to the start of the level?

Any idea why load teh game would crash the game.

My system is fine, i have palyed half life 2, 2 times through and never had one crash.

xdiesp said:
today's news is the :devil: DOOMSDAY BUG :devil:
After many hours of a very enjoyable HL2 replay, thanks to your terrific mod, xdiesp. I thought I'd share my highs and lows.

The new weapons and new ways to use them, really adds to the game. I haven’t figured out the new HEVforms yet, but didn’t try much. I wasn’t even sure if they were turned on in the current temp release. Plus I was expecting something different when I dropped a weapon.

My biggest issue however is with loading saved games. This is different from the Doomsday Bug in that I'm having trouble loading quicksaves I just created moments earlier. I get dropped to the main menu. Then when I try again HL2 crashes and I get two error messages before I can reload and try again. I can get much more detailed if you’re interested.

Anyway, what’s really cool about this mod is that it’s available now, and makes you want to replay the best game in existence since HL1

Thanks xdiesp

*darkness*

read one post above yours, i have the exact same thing, and i have no idea what it is. It's really holding me back from playing this amazing fantasic mod.

Lol sometimes when the quick load does work, after i reload my game a couple of times i have infinite bullettime, now that makes the game easy.

holy shit, i got farther on route canal, after you knock the doors apart with the steel beams, after that damn its hard. Wtf is up with that. I got rape when the strider starts shooting at you, how do you get past them if you only have 3 rockets, i know i could play on an easier level for that part, but there has to be a better way.

IMO (not my mod so feel free to ignore me) but i think that as your driving along it would be much cool if the striders were fighting a bunch of rebels and ignoring you as you drive by, they have like near perfect aim when they shoot. Its like 3 hits and your dead.

Drizzt said:
*darkness*

read one post above yours, i have the exact same thing, and i have no idea what it is. It's really holding me back from playing this amazing fantasic mod.
wow, talk about saying this same thing at the same time.

What I've been doing is trying to remember to make allot of manual saves along the way. They seem to have a better chance of working than quick or auto saves.

Drizzt: check the FAQs on the site to see for causes/solutions to the crashing problem. Let's repeat them here:
1) crashes can be: a sign you're running HL2S with too high detail;
2) random HL2 memory management errors that appear after 1hr+ games,to solve them you can enter a cheat to reload the level: the v1.0X will have a "Bugfix This" button exactly for this;
3) due to a bug with proximity headcrabs that will be solved in the 1.0X,don't use them if after you did that the next level can't be loaded anymore;
4) sometimes autosavegames screw up for unknown reasons,use quick and normal ones better than those: in the 1.0X,autosaves will be disabled;
Is the strider that's been killing you in a canal with a lot of fire and explosions that lift cars? There is a covered passage right along the wall to pass under and ignore the enemy: I placed cops beside it for you to see where it's located.

Darkn3ss: you're probably having problem n.3,the proximity headcrabs/a.firemode bug. It will all be solved within a week in the 1.0X. The hevforms and doomsdaybug are 1.0X related only

this evening I'll start the levels update process in preparation of the new 1.0X,it will take me some days. Our coder Jerry is at the same time working on a penultimate row of fixes to the code. A final row more will be needed too,more sophisticated but also faster to be realized.

hmmm, thanks xdiesp, but my computer should be more than enough to play the game at high detail. Its a P4 3.2 Ghz, 1 gig of ram, radeon 9800 pro 128 megs.

Thanks for the tip on the stider part.

Guess i will just wait another week until the 1.0X comes out, i can't wait, keep up the good work.

:p :p i cant wait either. i stopped playing befor this mod came out. but now i have another reason to play hl2. i realy like the new weapons cause u can realy own those zombies and other things running around.
xsiesp, are you gonna make more mods?
is it possible to make a new car in the game?
would be fun driving around in an f1 car.
i wish i knew how i could make mods and stuff
and maybe a stupid question but how can i see how mutch ram i have? cause i'd like to play this game with totaly no lag.
you say in the FAQ that i should do something to make the game faster? something like this. press the right button on the "Half-Life 2" voice on Steam/PlayGames and then click on Properties->LaunchOptions to access them,and here type: -console -debug -heapsize [half or your ram x 1000; mine is 512 so I type -heapsize 256000]. but how do i see how mutch ram i have? dont know mutch about pc's.
and one more thing, i like the pic on the background at credits on your site:p i hope the next patch will be bugless so i can just restard and go trought all of it with not having to restard the game or using any cheats or whatever. and one more thing,
at the part where the antlions help me i only get 1 antlion at most parts. is that seposed to be or will that be changed in 1.0x?

to see how much ram you have, right click on "my computer" wither on your desktop, or if it is not there, then click start and it will be on the right.

After you right click on it, click on properties and it will say under computer.

no it doesend... under computer it says AMD Athlon(tm) XP 2600+
clockspeed 1.92 GHz, 512 MB

you didn't read it all then, that 512 MB is the ram.

for me it says P4 3.2 Ghz, 1.00 Gb of RAM

xdiesp said:
Darkn3ss: you're probably having problem n.3,the proximity headcrabs/a.firemode bug. It will all be solved within a week in the 1.0X. The hevforms and doomsdaybug are 1.0X related only
I think your right about that, guess I'll have to avoid proximity headcrabs for a while.

Sorry about not looking at your FAQ more closely. The word crash threw me off a little because I didn’t consider my problem "a crash". I saw it more as a loading problem.
Glad I looked again because I'm going to have to make use of the cheats in your "I cannot load" q&a.

Thanks for the info.

would be fun if u could play single player with more people.. like single player in multiplayer
when 1.0X comes out, i will restard the game and play in f12 mode.. hehe guess it's hard but that's what i like

henkjan: I've asked around if co-op was possible but no,the only chance would be modify the maps with hammer itself. The mod would weight 600 megs

i just cant wait for the next patch
what is mpeg?
hmm this is weird sometimes when i load a saved game
god mode is automaticly on...

henkjan: mpeg is a movie format... About the forgotten god mode,in which levels did it happen? It is perfectly solvable,if I find where it is.

dont remember where it is sorry
and it wasent a forgotten god mode, i never used it. it just turned on autmaticly when i loaded a saved game
i hope 1.0X will be out this saturday, cause then i will be playing hl2 again... i can only play it in the weekend cause hl2 is on the pc at my dad's house.
i guess that god mode thing happend somewhere in the beginning..
the part where you jump in the water and the enemy trowing exploding barrels in the water.
or a while after it. dont remember

well, all i can say is that i would download a 600 meg mod to play half life 2 substance co-op, that would be the sweetest thing ever. Lol it would be awesome to play route canal with like 5 people, that would mean 5 airboats :cheers:

Wait for Sven Co-Op 2 to come out, then you could release HL2:S as a map pack.

henkjan: I'll see if I forgot god mode in that level. Try not to think too much about release dates,it's always better if you have to wait a little more but in the end the product is more finished

Kebean PFC: impossible as long as it's impossible to load savegames in a coop game

only some weapons adjustments and the reshape of Snake's abilities are needed to finalize the code and start playtest. I confirm that the doomsday bug is dead. Today I will start updating ALL the levels savegames,so we are definitely in pre-launch.

Yes, yes and yes! Horay! :cheese:

btw: new design is sweet! =)

I've dowloaded 0.84 version but it isn't working.Game is loading and after load i get some eror about c++ runtime library, and abnormal program termination and game quits to windows:(
any idea what can help?
i wanted to play this mod becouse i heard i's harder then hard mode in original version.

weird, i am at the part where u have to shoot those striders with a bunch of squads and new striders coming. i just ran somewhere and it just went out of the game without saying any error..
just at the part where an auto save is and where a strider is about to shoot a building with some kind of blue beem..
it just made a noice, a noice that u here when an error shows up.
how do i uninstall the 1.0T patch? or maybe i should just wait till 1.0X comes out. but í'm allmost at the end i cant wait another week... cause sunday i will be leaving again.. and i wont have hl2 with me wich is too bad

henkjan: uff,it's written all over here and on the faqs everywhere. Reload the level,insert a level cheat

Shuger: is the HL2 original? try reinstalling everything and reapply the last 1.0T patch,otherwise I can't help if the game doesn't even start...

oh right sorry, but i wont be able to load it from the exact place where i was. so i will have to load a next big load, that would mean i wouldnd have to do the strider part. dont like not doing something :p

anyway the new Bugfix This button of the 1.0X will do exactly this,reload the current level

Please help the noob

Hi. I'm missing something totally obvious, but at the beginning I keep getting smacked with the electric cattle prod when I go through the turnstile, and I can't get past the metrocop. My team seems to walk right around him.

I tried the other exits and nothing else seems work.

I can't believe I'm stuck so early, and I can't wait to actually play the thing.

paganlord: have you installed the 1.0T patch? That's an old bug...

let's say thanks to our friend Ozzye that today has spent something like 12 hours hunting down sound files for the mod in the MGS1 and 2: we now have all we need for the HEV Forms to sound right when activated. I've also been searching for a substitute for the present P90 model,because of Authority13 intervention (it was something I had to do since last month but I kept forgetting). I liked famas in MGS,but now I can't stand them in fps games,so no famas. M4a1 are too strong to be used as P90/smg1,I would have never released the high definition pack for HL1 where the M16 overwrote the mp5 if I'd been in charge of that. On the contrary UMP/TMP are too weak. The only other P90 available is Spezz's,but it is little and you can't see the mouth of the gun. There is an interesting "mega M4",overpowered with gadgets,and that doesn't go either: it could be used as a sniperrifle or AR2 replacement,but not now. There were also beautiful SG552 replacements,but they were really small compaired to even the part of P90 you see now. In the end I found something similar to the original smg1: it's not too mean looking,good quality and generally average on everything,that's why it could be good as the standard weapon most used in the game - you don't have to notice it. What do you think?
http://www.bullet-head.net/cssreleases/darkstorn.stoke.552.jpg

I don't get, why you don't want to use mp5, but it's look ok. p90 looked better...

I have idea - make help in game...something like in Garry's mod. There we can read, how to use HEV forms and what we need for it.

henkjan: not by today,anyway I'll post here the link to the playtest page as soon as the coding is finished

all right,I'm not sure either about what to do with the P90 candidates. If I'm not 100%,I will change nothing: there's few to see of this weapon,but it is cool + doesn't leave our ugly hands in sight and doesn't feel so strong (as it should be). The other candidates are diverse: in this image you can see all of them,tell me what you would pick. That is the effective size of the weapon,so you see what I meant by little and big weapon on screen. As of now the best candidates are: the old P90,the M41+sight on the left.
http://ludus1942.ngi.it/immagini/candidates.jpg

if you want to start helping with the 1.0X,tell me how much longer do you have to wait and if the levels run smoother then once you insert these 2 commands in cfg\autoexec.cfg.

cl_forcepreload "1"
sv_forcepreload "1"

Back