Half life ... THE MOVIE!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Half Life would make a horrible movie. It's good only in the game format.

Now hold on a second, Half-Life has a deep and twisting plot, if you look closely enough. It is filled with small things that matter, aswell as bordering on a Horror game in some levels. If the movie was made by someone who understood the game in every way, did all the research, and put alot of effort in, A Half Life movie would actually turn out well. Perhaps, the movie could be based on the events in HL2, with flashbacks to Black Mesa showing what happened in the terrible accident. I would change a few things from the game, such as not including silly things like the logic puzzles, and I would make Gordon talk. Of course he would be a quiet, outspoken person, however it would make more sense. No 1st person, because that would make it seem like a game movie. If one who had not heard of or played Half-Life or any games for that matter could understand and like the movie, it would be a job well done.

Well, thats my opinion anyway

An alien empire forced into exile by another, only to be invaded by humankind. Right before earth is conquered by the latter empire. Sounds like movie material to me. :naughty:

Those scenes with the tripods in "War of the worlds" made me think how fight scenes with striders might look:naughty:

Its true, the Half-Life 2 plot has tons of great movie potential. If HL2 was a book, more people would certainly want it to be a movie.

If Valve WERE to do a Half-Life movie, I would prefer it if the movie didn't follow Gordon. Perhaps Barney or someone... maybe bumping into Gordon every now and then or whatever... but following Gordon would mean he would have to have a voice, which wouldn't suit it :p

If they were to make a film based off Half-Life, they would have to keep everything EXACTLY the same, because when big movie industries change things around from their original plots, we, the viewer, end up with something like Doom the movie.

Video games are better than movies in my opinion. I like having that interaction there. Half-Life should remain a game.

Half-life won't work as a movie, to do that Gordon would have to talk and I think that would ruin it...

who says gordon must be in it. I would not mind a 7 hour war based movie, if it was made by competent people with lots of supervision from valve.

That almost ruins the point of HL
Besides, no one knows what the 7 hour war is cept hardcore fans

GordonFreeman911 said:
That almost ruins the point of HL
Besides, no one knows what the 7 hour war is cept hardcore fans

That's why we need a movie :p

I still think it should be shown in the POV of a resistance member has doesn't bump into Freeman. That = rawk.

The good news is that Valve are considering the options with a HL movie rather then plunging in.

Valve said so far the scripts they are being approached with are either rubbish or uninspired, plus they dont want Uwe Boll to get his hands on this EVER.

Half-life's better as an interactive movie, as it already is.

But after saying that, I like the idea of doing a movie on the 7 hour war. Sorta like a War of the Worlds clone, to be sure, but it'd be a great movie without any need of mentioning any HL characters short of Breen. Same universe with all the combine and aliens, and all that jazz, but no need to give away any plot from the games.

Or they could do a Mr. Shepard return... either way.

Rennmniscant said:
Half-life's better as an interactive movie, as it already is.

But after saying that, I like the idea of doing a movie on the 7 hour war. Sorta like a War of the Worlds clone, to be sure, but it'd be a great movie without any need of mentioning any HL characters short of Breen. Same universe with all the combine and aliens, and all that jazz, but no need to give away any plot from the games.

Or they could do a Mr. Shepard return... either way.

I'm imagining a very good script right now that would follow the 7 hour war. It could be made alot like the original war of the worlds. There could be basically no exposition or explaination, basically following the daily chores of some random eastern european, and then all of the sudden, all hell breaks loose, and it follows his attempts to survive the 7-hour war. Then, at the very end, he would be captured, and the last thing we see is the citadel rising out of the ruins of city-17.

You could also very breifly do the 7 hour war, and focus on the combine opression exclusively.

Or, you could start in the combine opression, and then details are filled in about the 7-hour war, and it ends with the resistance guys leaving on a train.

Really with the episodes it could be a really great trilogy.

But sadly no moviemaker desires to do something artistic or dramatic. When they hear videogame movie they think "yes! let's throw in the rock with a chaingun! everyone will want to see it!"

EDIT: if you've seen the Pianist that's quite what I think a hl2 movie should be like.

What I think they should for a movie on Half-Life 2 is not the seven hour war.

How about you take it as a point of view of a citizen. A citizen who eventaully becomes a rebel. Or more of a saving private ryan type movie where it's a group of guys trying to get to a certain point and having to go through hell.

You would never see gordon but you would hear about him a few times in the movie.

I think it should start in City 17 in an apartment. It would open showing the oppresion of the combine and people being beaten and etc.. Then it would come to one man. Just your average oppressed citizen. Eventually word gets around about Gordon and people start revolting and he joins them. Then it goes through his story. Fighting combine, making there way out of the city. Fighting multiple striders along with combine troops.

You remember that E3 video when we first seen the strider? Think of it like that. Then combine troops breaking open windows firing down at the rebels. Rebels shooting rockets at the striders from windows. Just take a few city blocks and put them through 20 minutes of hell. Have drama when people die etc... Showing all the relief after the rebels win a battle. Anger when somone dies. Make it dramatic, make it action. People signing up to be metrocops and people getting in fights over if they should or not. Seeing a friend being transported off to Nova Proskpect.

I think focusing both on the oppression, life\death, and battle scenes would we have a movie with a lot of flavor.

I think that would be one kick ass movie.

You could easily do something similar to V for Vendetta, chronicling an oppression and the subsequent revolution, yeah.

If I wanted to see a Half-Life movie, I'd want to have Gordon in it. The problem is that Gordon is an empty vessel and any attempts to characterize him would never pull off entirely. And the entire narrative style would be sacrificed.

There's no reason to make it a movie. Keep the franchise in gaming, is what I say.

Honestly, the story to HL/HL2 is pretty good, however, making a movie about a mute scientist fighting a race of aliens with a gravity gun might not do so hot. Some games are better off just being games. But if it was ever made into a movie, Id be the first one in line.....

Same thing with Halo, except they are in the process of making it....so that will be interesting. Do a search on google and you get get a partial copy of the script...Sounds pretty good.

I saw Silent Hill a few days ago and that film was a trip, absolutely awesome.
If the same guys would make a movie of the first Half-Life then that would be a winner for sure:)

tarantino has said he'd like making a HL movie.. i think he could do it

Ennui said:
tarantino has said he'd like making a HL movie.. i think he could do it

All rumor, I believe. And no. As much as I like his work, I believe that the Half-Life franchise is one that simply cannot translate to film.

If we wait until the entire story is told, and look at it from that point of view, I think the storyline can lend itself quite well to a good movie. Half Life by itself, for example, probably wouldn't stand alone as a movie.

To do a Half-Life movie wouldn't be hard, Gordon is silent in the games, but he is mostly on his own and only interacts with characters every now and again. So, to keep him quiet throughout a film wouldn't be hard. For me personally I wouldn't want him to talk much or have a cheese Master Chief styled voice, I'd have him very normal and not played like an iconic character. He's a scientist, nothing more before the Black Mesa incident, so to have him walking in being all iconic and acting all cheesy would make the film go down hill from the start.

The characters, setting and story are all there, its a case of how well can someone translate it to film...would love to try it myself :)

Jono

HAY, if bungie can pull it off with HALO(made of BS may i point out!) then surely valve can do it for half life and half life 2!

a half life movie would be awesome, except make sure its not directed by some idiot like all those other game to movie movies

i think steven spielberg would do a great job directing it, and if they kept the story the way it is the movie would be amazing

I always thought Charlie Sheen would make agood Gordon. Particularly if he played him the way he did his character in The Arrival. That's how I've always immagined Gordon.

HL movie... hhmmm??? BRILLIANT! they say they want to make a movie, but theyre VERY, VERY careful about the script, gabe newell himself said that the scripts they read "all sucked" so they will get around to it (the scripts were probably as corny and predictable let alone, NOTHING like the game as resident evil)

people were saying edward norton would make a good gordon, danny glover as eli etc. it would be good to make it EXACTLY like the game, same lines, environments etc. BUT, while filming, dont show gordons face, his body, but not the face... or just a movie, which is really the game, but you can see gordon

it would be an honour to be gordon!!!

I agree that there should be a movie, BUT....

If it's directed by Speilberg,
Gordon is not played by a well-known actor,
AND........
if and only if many scripts are reviewed.

It could be a decent movie if you've never played the game before, but I wouldn't go see it. The fundamental difference betwixt games and movies is that games are interactive challenges. I want to interact with characters, solve all the puzzles, surmount all the obstacles to the end goal and finally whip the ultamate bad guy's ass, not see it done for me.

A True Canadian said:
My Idea:

A Half-Life movie with the concept of PULP FICTION!!! :) :D

Think about it. We have so many characters that each have seperate STORIES to tell in Black Mesa.

We break up the episodes accordingly and throw in all the characters with good stories (i.e. Gordon, Barney, Adrian, etc.). What made the expansions so good was the way they intertwined with the original storyline. If the movie did the same...

i think this idea could work, and they could show all scenes with gordon from his first person perspective and scenes without him wouldnt use first person.

I did'nt Like Pulp fiction too much, and a HL movie in First Person persective would suck, thats one of the reasons Doom sucked becides the Corny story.

Well here what I think of the Actors/Actresses that should be in a HL Movie
20060710.jpg

Nice, except for the comedians. They're too well known and when seen in a movie I'd be "Oh Mike Myers" and not "Oh its Father Gregori"

When I look at Mike Myers I cant stop laughing but Adam Sandler would be great as Barney because Barney is that funny/Comic Comediean type of guy and adam fits his role just well. Jessica Alba Fits alexs role just well I think She looks like the closest to alex than any other Actress. IDK about eddie murphy as Eli, Eddie murphy is just too young. I want Mike Myers as Fr. Gregory, he'd be like this "I am one shagadelic Monk, Yeah Baby".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back