HL2 on Hard completed with 0 total damage

Status
Not open for further replies.
Buckfutter said:
I did this once, but for the first Half-Life. If I can recall, the only part that requires you to take damage is getting through the energy-sapping freezer area (and if you want to include the Hazard Course, the "drop onto the target" and radioactive waste segments). It's not quite the same thing as HL2, but I will say that it doesn't require as much skill as some people may think. I should know, because I generally suck at twitch-based first person shooters. It just means you have to quicksave every five goddamn seconds. Got hit with a bullet? Reload, and sidestep right instead of left. Save. Repeat for what will feel like an eternity.

In HL, isn't there also a short sequence in Residue Processing in which you are travelling in a conveyor belt and you eventually go through a furnace and get some burn damage, and there's no way around it?

kelerain I admire you. If I ever attempted that I would take years to complete it, if that, lol. Now all you have to do is do what you did with just the gravity gun... somehow?... lol :thumbs:

Good read. I guess it is possible. The buggy part made me laugh. I'm suprised you did it. Well done.:)

Mr.Wotsit said:
2. Anyone could do this. This isn't impressive because of any skill involved but because of persistence. If you can click the quicksave and quickload keys, an army of monkeys would achieve this after a while.!

The skill lies in figuring out how to get through parts without taking any damage. Yes, you can reload a part over and over again but that doesn’t mean you can get through it in the first place without taking any damage. Dodging left or right doesn’t make a difference most of the time, it’s the challenge of getting through the game without taking any due to the fact that the game has a linear path that most players follow.

Mr.Wotsit said:
3. There's no reason not to believe him because, like I said, it's nothing truly exceptional, just something that most people can't be arsed to do because it doesn't sound very fun. But good for him if that's how he gets his kicks!

For example, he wasn’t willing to except any damage at the buggy start so he had to figure out how to get all the way to the finish without using a buggy. That’s the skill in it.
Besides he’s not boasting and your post sounds more like a personal attack.

*rattles saber* :sleep:

Good Job by the way!

well done. must have been hard!

im on easy, And i die a fair bit near the end!

good job

Good job! I think it's a sign of good design decisions in a FPS when there is always a way to proceed without taking damage. The accusations of fraud seem to have died down some finally. People need to calm down.

I think it's a sign of good design decisions in a FPS when there is always a way to proceed without taking damage.
Let me second this. When I look at how well a game was designed, I look to see how easy/hard it is to save in a position that would make it impossible to win. For example, if there was a spot on the map that you HAD to drop and take fall damage, you might save with 1HP right before it and then find that you have to start the game again. Now, with HL1/HL2's saving system, it's easily possible to save as you're falling to your death in a ravine. However, you have to be pretty stupid (or too F6-happy, like me!) to do that, and there's always autosave as backup.

Anyway, it's cool to know that this is possible! I might try it sometime.

Hey can someone tell me how to watch the two movies. I dled them but dont know how to watch them. I wanna see this guy pwn hl2 to no end. tia

Bump: Can anyone please tell me how to watch the movies? Theyre dem files or something but i dont know how to watch them :-( please help. thanks

Dasparov said:
just like that goldeneye 007 cheat...they say complete aztec in under 9mins.....you try!!!!!...but..... ;(

lol, easiest 3 minuites i've ever played :D

So you ditched the buggy? How did you fall from the dock without taking damage then?

I believe he used a technological extravagance that future civilisation refers to as a "ladder".

Watched those two sample movies, and they are really cool! You are very talented.

Could you please show us some more, with different techniques used?

Danimal said:
First of all fab, it does not make a person on the internet feel important to flame (Well, most people but the normal people post here) Also, how do you know if he did finish the game on hard without damage? How do you know if Jesus exsists? How do you know if we are all not made up and that you are not in a coma after having your kidneys taken out in a seedy hotel? I do not know these things...

I don't believe kelerain. He needs some form of proof, it is like someone murdering people and saying 'I didn't do it' in court and the judge would reply 'Good Job on not killing those people'.

I need a hug.

In the countries I've lived in (and the country I'm living in now) the law usually follows the common principle of 'innocent until proven guilty'. Its only once there's evidence of your guilt, that you need to provide proof of your innocence.

Other than that, what's wrong with believing someone's word for once? Of course taking someone's word for something would be rather stupid if there were rather large sums of money involved - but this is only a post on the internet for god's sake; there's couldn't possible be any damage done through believing him?

Anyways, I just prefer to think positively and in this case, the positive thing to do is to believe him instead of being a sarcastic arse (that doesn't refer to you Danimal but some others earlier in the thread).

PS: Lol, in some of the other forums I've visited recently, and left straight after, the majority of the members do get a kick out of flaming people...

PS2: I hope I'm not in a seedy hotel getting a kidney taken out :|

PS3: I coudn't find a hug emoticon

DEATH eVADER said:
***cough cough Leaches cough cough***

If you've actually tried this, you'd know that leaches are only in the deeper water as they are there to prevent you from hitting the end of the map. It doesn't take much water to kill the antlions anyway.

Besides, most of that place can be done by simply jumping and gaining momentum untill the group is so big that you need to go into the water.

If you really did do that... then nice.

So you did this while constantly saving and reloading? I think a lot of people could probably do that *if* we had the time. So did you do it so you could post on the Internet that you did it? Or do you just love the game that much? Or are you just bored?

It's funny, for the speedrun we've just found out a way to complete the coast without the buggy and it's MUCH faster than using the buggy. Of course, we take a lot of damage and we end up 'breaking' the game (i.e. climbing up walls, nade boosting in naughty areas).

Good stuff.

Yes this all nice and wonderfull how yall are talking about not getting any damage and beating the game fast and such, BUT HOW THE **** DO I PLAY THE .dem FILES?! I wanna see the two dems this guy put up on the thread. Thanks in advance.

Put it in your hl2 folder, open up the console, "playdemo xxx" without the quotes.

Thanks but do they go in the first hl2 folder or the hl2 folder inside the first one? thanks marsh ur my hero

Bullshit. Horseshit. Cowshit. Birdshit. ****in shit.

There is no way you completed the game on HARD without taking one single damage.
Unless you can provide a video of you playing through the whole game, I will think otherwise.

Mr.Wotsit said:
1. It's pretty acceptable to have taken the damage from the buggy dropping as it's unavoidable and really not worth doing the walk...

Worth it maybe, but I enjoyed myself. It helps to be a little off center of course. There were several other places where a small amout of acceptable damage would have made things a lot easier, but that wasn't my focus.

CriYam said:
I'm going to guess 200 hours of playtime to do this? Good job! :)

Its hard to say, I wish there was an in game counter, but I think it came in lower than that. A few scenes did take several hours.

DEATH eVADER said:
***cough cough Leaches cough cough***

Try it. :) There is a 'buffer zone' of something like 10-15 feet that is 100% leech free. Only when you go into the deeper water do they apear.

Sir_Rule said:
YOU want to hear IMPRESSIVE?!?!?

Remember that guy who beat Super Mario 3, in 12 minutes without losing any life....

I think the speed run you are refering to is manually scripted in an emulator, there wasnt a person at the controls. It was never presented as a 'real run', but someone got the idea in their heads, and it kinda spread after that. Its still a very impressive video however.

Danimal said:
Oh, my mistake. I thought this thread was made for you boasting about it. Can I still have a hug?

Sure. *Hugs Danimal*

footsteps said:
That's pretty cool. Now try playing on hard with nothing but the USP and crowbar. I've started such a game but haven't had much time recently so I'm not very far.

Hmm. There are portions of the game where you will run into ammo issues, as the guards don't drop pistols, and are too far away to crowbar effectively. I'll assume the gravity gun is also allowed, once you get it. Good luck with that!

Raziel-Jcd said:
Cool stuff. Im going to make my own little mission soon. :p

WacK said:
hehe.. me too :D

Cool! I was hopeing to inspire a few people to do silly challange stuff like this :)

rumblefish said:
take dog's ball to ravenholm, what does it do there?

Magic! Actually its just a very useful physics object. Its dense, and rolls well, so its not going to bounce away from you easily, it rolls after you and makes noises because of the mine AI so its easier to keep track of, and the zombies mark it as an enemy so it will distract them. Its basically a steamroller for ravenholm. I was quite sad when the water section at the end forced me to leave it behind.

TriggerHappy said:
Good job! I think it's a sign of good design decisions in a FPS when there is always a way to proceed without taking damage.
Yes. The freezer section in the origional halflife really did tick me off. What would happen if someone showed up there with 3 health, and haden't saved in a while? The buggy scene is kinda similar, what if someone got in the buggy with 5 health? Before both there is a bit of health nearby though, so its not awful, but I think any mandatory damage is poor design. I'm glad HL2 was flexible enough to behave reasonably when I ditched the buggy, instead of doing some silly "the buggy must be here trigger". Actually there was one of those, at New Little Odessa, you have to drive the buggy up to the gate for him to open it. The work around is to get a box, and place it by the edge of the road, hop on it, then over the railing behind the gate.

semi-psychotic said:
Let me second this. When I look at how well a game was designed, I look to see how easy/hard it is to save in a position that would make it impossible to win. For example, if there was a spot on the map that you HAD to drop and take fall damage, you might save with 1HP right before it and then find that you have to start the game again. Now, with HL1/HL2's saving system, it's easily possible to save as you're falling to your death in a ravine. However, you have to be pretty stupid (or too F6-happy, like me!) to do that, and there's always autosave as backup.

Anyway, it's cool to know that this is possible! I might try it sometime.

The theory goes that you could be in almost any part of the game with 1 health and not very much ammo, and still win. The nice part about this challange is that everyone can succede at it :) Time trails are fun for that crowd, but there is always competition.

Hercules331 said:
Hey can someone tell me how to watch the two movies. I dled them but dont know how to watch them. I wanna see this guy pwn hl2 to no end. tia

The two demos are HL2 .dem files. Extract them to your
steam\SteamApps\[email protected]\half-life 2\hl2\
folder. Run the game, open the console (the tilde key ~, if you have the console on, under keyboard settings > advanced). Then type "playdemo DEMONAME" (with no dem extension). I think it gives you a list of possible demos.

James Isaac said:
Watched those two sample movies, and they are really cool! You are very talented.

Could you please show us some more, with different techniques used?

Thanks. I think it is more patient than tallented. Each demo took around 20 tries to capture. There seems to be interest in this, so I may write up a walkthrough with the different tips I use, and record demos or maybe videos if someone will lend a hand of the interesting parts.

Audiophile said:
If you really did do that... then nice.

Hopefully just the concept is interesting enough to be worth your time. I can, of course, give you little more than the demos and my word that I did.

justmatt said:
So you did this while constantly saving and reloading? I think a lot of people could probably do that *if* we had the time. So did you do it so you could post on the Internet that you did it? Or do you just love the game that much? Or are you just bored?

Yeah, liberal saves, and about 10 times that in loads. It did take a while, like I said, I have no life. I did it because I like the game, and I like the challange. I learned a lot of little things about the AI, caught more sceenes and story bits, and had some great success moments. I did it for me, but I like to share.

marshmallow said:
It's funny, for the speedrun we've just found out a way to complete the coast without the buggy and it's MUCH faster than using the buggy. Of course, we take a lot of damage and we end up 'breaking' the game (i.e. climbing up walls, nade boosting in naughty areas).

Good stuff.

I was wondering if something like that might happen. :) The buggy forces a lot of routes on you, and the speed jumping thing gets you going pretty fast.

joule said:
Bullshit. Horseshit. Cowshit. Birdshit. ****in shit.

There is no way you completed the game on HARD without taking one single damage.
Unless you can provide a video of you playing through the whole game, I will think otherwise.

Good to see the skeptics are healthy. Like I have said before think about it logically. I did spend a ton of time, and a lot of saving and reloading. If there is a specific sceene or two that you don't think I could do, I'll explain it, and demo it if I have the time.

kelerain said:
Good to see the skeptics are healthy. Like I have said before think about it logically. I did spend a ton of time, and a lot of saving and reloading. If there is a specific sceene or two that you don't think I could do, I'll explain it, and demo it if I have the time.
:upstare:

:eek: :O
WOW! That has got to be the most quoted post I have ever seen! Good one. ;)

And yes, sorry about the blast. I didn't mean it so harshly. It seemed rather impossible. You should have recorded your playing. That would have been awesome, no doubt.
I also didn't think about you reloading a certain area over and over again. It now becomes logically probable.

Ahahahah. A-HA.

Listen, buddy. Are you out of your @&^ing mind making a claim like that?

Not ONE point in damage? Whole game on hard? You have got to be the dumbest motherfu*@er on the face of this planet.

No, seriously. This is ridiculous. Show me a movie of ONE map. ONE, in which you do the entire level, kill all the bad guys, don't "run through it" and sustain not one point of damage.

What drugs are you on?

thi sounds great but somewhat pointless, if you did the game in a natural amount of time without taking any damage then great. But if you use a million saves then surely anyone could do what you have done. It would just be a dull f7 trip.

Just to answer something, how did you do that section with the automates turrets..i may be being fairly stupid but in that building and onto the roof you face a fairly constant stream of bullets.

Anyhow, good work, come up with something a little more fun that you can be challenged at next time ;)

WHat does saving and reloading mean?

You just reloaded a part right before you took a hit of damage?

This thread is absolutely stupid. You obviously did not play the game through, like a NORMAL person, on hard, killing all bad guys and not skipping parts and not taking one point of damage.

Explain saving and reloading.

How did you manage to get through the area after you get the buggy? There's a jump that you can only get over once you use turbo on the buggy. I don't think you can reach it jumping...

:Rex Saw: said:
WHat does saving and reloading mean?

You just reloaded a part right before you took a hit of damage?

This thread is absolutely stupid. You obviously did not play the game through, like a NORMAL person, on hard, killing all bad guys and not skipping parts and not taking one point of damage.

Explain saving and reloading.

:Rex Saw: said:
Ahahahah. A-HA.

Listen, buddy. Are you out of your @&^ing mind making a claim like that?

Not ONE point in damage? Whole game on hard? You have got to be the dumbest motherfu*@er on the face of this planet.

No, seriously. This is ridiculous. Show me a movie of ONE map. ONE, in which you do the entire level, kill all the bad guys, don't "run through it" and sustain not one point of damage.

What drugs are you on?

What a wonderfully intelligent post, you've made a real contribution to these forums... dickhead.

Five pointers that may or may not help you:
1. Read the thread before you post (the saving and reloading and his methods have been explained.. numerous times...)
2. Think before you post.
3. Think again.
4. Think a third time.
5. Actually, screw the thinking and do your peers a favour by jumping off a cliff.

Crispy said:
How did you manage to get through the area after you get the buggy? There's a jump that you can only get over once you use turbo on the buggy. I don't think you can reach it jumping...
i think he explained that somewhere, he found a small ledge or something which he used to jump around that part IIRC. Just go back a few pages, i think he explained it.

So, how did you get past the metro cops with the stun sticks, the ones that knock you out?

:p

I just wanna know how you did Entanglement, especially with the insane amount of enemies that spawn while you defend your turrets, and the part right before you go into Nova Prospekt with the two gunships.

Dasparov said:
just like that goldeneye 007 cheat...they say complete aztec in under 9mins.....you try!!!!!...but..... ;(

hehe i did it :) , i used to play the hell outa that game

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back