HL2 PCGAMEPLAY NL score!

nutcrackr said:
That is quite a low score for a highly anticipated game, including CS:S as HL2's multiplayer imho would be a far better alternative to HL2DM. Maybe the review is made up because of all the bitching about HL2DM. But if the original HL was to come with CS instead of HLDM I would've have rated the game much much higher.

and how do you know it will if you haven't even tried hl2MP yet? maybe it wouldn't be DM, but a complicated team based gamemode.

The Mullinator said:
I don't think they would subtract 10% all becuase of no DM. How many games are there out there that were single player only and didn't have any problems with the marks?

Did the first Splinter Cell game get marks off because of a lack of multiplayer from anyone (especially anything like 10%).

yeah but ur comparing the expectations of Splinter Cell to expectations of HL2? before all this news about HL2's MP, everyone and their grandmother was banking on at least DM/TDM/CTF as the minimum for HL2's MP..

consider the disappointment of it in just this forum alone.. and -10% wasn't that harsh, was it?

Well obviously, but it seems clear that valve have put their effort into CS:S. I am not one to complain, it's just another type of MP.

it wouldn't be -10%, thats assuming it would have gotten 100% in the first place.

Valve probably pulled a fast one n gave em the leaked version.
^_^

in my opinion is nice score

but I dont need to see score cuz I am convinced long time ago that HL2 is good :)

also sometimes games get reviews they dont deserve

Dr. Freeman said:
yeah but ur comparing the expectations of Splinter Cell to expectations of HL2? before all this news about HL2's MP, everyone and their grandmother was banking on at least DM/TDM/CTF as the minimum for HL2's MP..

consider the disappointment of it in just this forum alone.. and -10% wasn't that harsh, was it?
Actually from what I have seen this forum has had the most... Critical opinions of Valve for not releasing an official HL2 multiplayer out of any HL2 forum.

One member from another forum which we cannot name even said this:
I must admit I was actually surprised to hear of no deathmatch on release, but it’s not the end of the world some people over at HL2.net make it out to be.

I can understand reviewers not liking it but they must follow strict rules when reviewing a game and I suspect that somehow one of those rules will mean that a lack of multiplayer isn't something that should be looked upon too harshly, especially when in the future it will be getting it anyway.

poseyjmac said:
it wouldn't be -10%, thats assuming it would have gotten 100% in the first place.

well.. as a reviewer isn't it easier to start (every game that u review ) at 100% and then deduct the % in whichever area is lacking?
at least thats how i thought it worked.. oh well

The Mullinator said:
especially when in the future it will be getting it anyway.

in the same respect, we should also be complacent if the game is bug-ridden on ship, because hey in the future the bugs will be fixed anyway.

no..

They just gave them the leaked version. ^_^. (ive made myself think this..).

Ok HL2 got a 90% becuz it made a NEW SCALE SYSTEM.
Farcry is now 1%.
Thus HL2 is really 89% higher than farcry.

God am i the only one who can think of that?

Dr. Freeman said:
well.. as a reviewer isn't it easier to start (every game that u review ) at 100% and then deduct the % in whichever area is lacking?
at least thats how i thought it worked.. oh well

ehhh. so you're saying that if it had hl2mp, it would have receieved a 100%?

The Mullinator said:
Actually from what I have seen this forum has had the most... Critical opinions of Valve for not releasing an official HL2 multiplayer out of any HL2 forum.

One member from another forum which we cannot name even said this:

I can understand reviewers not liking it but they must follow strict rules when reviewing a game and I suspect that somehow one of those rules will mean that a lack of multiplayer isn't something that should be looked upon too harshly, especially when in the future it will be getting it anyway.
that's true, pc game reviews wouldn't take off points for having a multiplayer that wasn't hl2 themed as long as they thought it was fun. but they also wouldn't add points to the game based on the fact that there will most likely be awesome mods in the future, they can only review what they already have

So is this real or what? It just seems like another "friend of a friend" thing

poseyjmac said:
in the same respect, we should also be complacent if the game is bug-ridden on ship, because hey in the future the bugs will be fixed anyway.

no..
Alright fine, I give up. All I am trying to say is that most major reviewers won't look too harshly upon a game that doesn't have multiplayer. I could be wrong, I will never claim to be 100% correct on anything until it actually happens, but I just don't think we will be seeing multiplayer as being a major concern comming from PC Gamer or most other major magazines.

Here's the thing i dont get.

The guy says he got a look at the magazine, but he doesnt say anything about it being 8 pages long and he says nothing about the 40 new screenshots?

Plus its all just hearsay at this moment. Until i hear something official, its bogus to me

Xcellere said:
WAIT WAIT WAIT......

Everyone here is believing some random guy on some random internet forum that gave us a 5+ word review? LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wait until there are scans of it. Also, the summary he gave sounded like some retard wrote the review:

Duurrr Duurrr good gameplay
Duuurrrr NO HL2DM

:| :| :|

What he and the rest said.

after more obvious looking, that's the most ridiculous idea of trying to fool people into thinking it got a 90%

Alec-Eiffel said:
after more obvious looking, that's the most ridiculous idea of trying to fool people into thinking it got a 90%
what do you mean, more obvious looking?

I honestly can't believe that, after 18 pages, some people are still unconvinced that this is all unmitigated bullshit. Which excuse for a gaming magazine is going to put "good gameplay" and "good physics" as pros and "no DM" as a con? Seriously, which magazine could possibly get away with those as valid points? "Good gameplay"? Are you kidding me? Is that not the laziest, vaguest way to describe a game ever? "Duhhhh, it got good physics, yeh!" Just imagine yourself reading the thing and imagine scanning down to the conclusion and it summarising Half-Life 2, a game that's been in development for 6 years and is arguably the biggest PC release ever, as having "good gameplay, good physics, no DM".

I will eat a bag of shit and take a picture of myself doing so for the forum, if this account of the PC Gameplay review is true and if it has indeed got 90%.

Sparta said:
what do you mean, more obvious looking?

My bad, I phrased that incorrectly, I meant, looking at what the guy on the Dutch forum said, it's SO ridiculous. I initially went into looking at that thinking it was 100% true. Now looking at it again, it's absolutely ridiculous.

Alec-Eiffel said:
My bad, I phrased that incorrectly, I meant, looking at what the guy on the Dutch forum said, it's SO ridiculous. I initially went into looking at that thinking it was 100% true. Now looking at it again, it's absolutely ridiculous.
I can't read dutch, so i'm just wondering why is it ridiculous?

give me this email of this guy..ill knock some sense into this person, probably some halo fanboy trying to piss us off... Ohh ill deal with him.
*Gets his HL2 videos ready, a chair, some chains, and a "Invitation" to a Halo lan party*
Ohh, when im tie him up and force his eyes open, he will stop pissing us off, infact this fanboy for whatever game will make a new rumor of it being 110% :).
As Gordon once said:
" "
dont you love it when he says something soo....amazing?

Sparta said:
I can't read dutch, so i'm just wondering why is it ridiculous?

I can't either, I did a babelfish translation, and he simply said the pros and the cons (which have been said already in this thread), and then someone asks "which magazine", and he says "oh yeah I forgot to mention, PC GamePlay". It's just so obviously fake, because he just talks like an ass. I mean, even if it was just a quick peak, I'd remember what it said if it was Half-Life 2...mainly because that's the kind of thing people just remember.

Alec-Eiffel said:
I can't either, I did a babelfish translation, and he simply said the pros and the cons (which have been said already in this thread), and then someone asks "which magazine", and he says "oh yeah I forgot to mention, PC GamePlay". It's just so obviously fake, because he just talks like an ass. I mean, even if it was just a quick peak, I'd remember what it said if it was Half-Life 2...mainly because that's the kind of thing people just remember.
You'd also remember the review being 8 pages worth, with 40 new screenshots, and he doesnt mention any screenshots at all

An 8 page review. I don't think a mag would dedicate 8 pages worth of space to a really good game. It would give that space to something unbelievably good that scores near 100%.

Xcellere said:
An 8 page review. I don't think a mag would dedicate 8 pages worth of space to a really good game. It would give that space to something unbelievably good that scores near 100%.
How many pages did this magazine give to Doom 3?

Sparta said:
You'd also remember the review being 8 pages worth, with 40 new screenshots, and he doesnt mention any screenshots at all

He doesn't make a mention of anything really...because he's just taking the same setup of what people said with Doom 3. Posting the score and the pros/cons, all just to fool people.

Alec-Eiffel said:
He doesn't make a mention of anything really...because he's just taking the same setup of what people said with Doom 3. Posting the score and the pros/cons, all just to fool people.

^^^People did that with Doom 3?

Anyone remember anything like that happening with Doom 3 besides Alec?

Xcellere said:
I don't remember hearing about people doing that.

No...I'm talking about that nobody did that with Doom 3, so if he used the same method, more people would fall for it.

ya why would the game get docked so much just because it doesnt have a flipping deatmatch with it, i mean the games mods will more than make up for it

-merc

ya why would the game get docked so much just because it has so many bugs and crashes, i mean the games patches will more than make up for it

*whistles*

they aren't reviewing the game in a few months, they are reviewing the game valve showed them now.

merc said:
ya why would the game get docked so much just because it doesnt have a flipping deatmatch with it, i mean the games mods will more than make up for it

-merc

that guy is an idiot for giving it a 90 trust me ... tomorrow is thursday ... so the week is almost over ... comeeeee PC GAMER ... and otmorrow is september 30th ... i think something big is happening tomorrow ...

poseyjmac said:
ya why would the game get docked so much just because it has so many bugs and crashes, i mean the games patches will more than make up for it

*whistles*

they aren't reviewing the game in a few months, they are reviewing the game valve showed them now.

what are you saying????? the game crashes and has lots of bugs???? the games done ...

Back