HL2 PCGAMEPLAY NL score!

Raidea said:
Heh, why would any self respecting games magazine have a con as no deathmatch, and even more stupid, the pro as good gameplay.

I mean, if you post a hoax, at least try to make it believable...

The review will be a lot more then just the pro&cons.

I'm sry, but what self respecting magazine would give doom 90% + score?

I understand the "jumping to hoax conclusion" people here. But it also says on the forum that he had a "quick" look, probably because he wasn't allowed to or anything.

If he would have posted 93% , nobody here would have thought about a hoax.

Xcellere said:
I forgot to mention that HL2 is on the cover for the mag. Can anyone link to what the editors of PC Gameplay said about their experience?

The cover says in very tiny letters 'Definitely succeeded, but Valve also still has a surprise up their sleeves' (loos translation accept for the definitely succeeded) .

Torre said:
The review will be a lot more then just the pro&cons.

I'm sry, but what self respecting magazine would give doom 90% + score?

I understand the "jumping to hoax conclusion" people here. But it also says on the forum that he had a "quick" look, probably because he wasn't allowed to or anything.

If he would have posted 93% , nobody here would have thought about a hoax.

Well, given the first post, aren't a lot of people blindly believing it?

I mean, coincidental that it was confirmed yesterday that there was no HLDM? Good gameplay - that's about as vague as you can get, even if it was a quick look I would never expect the pros and cons to be those in a million years.

Still, that's just my view on it, we will have to see!

Concept said:
Below 50% = Not worth considering
Above 50% = Worth considering

Because when you look at it objectively regardless of distortions within most videogaming media that's what 50% is. The middle. The average.

I prefer my scoring system to be logical rather than being completely tilted on one side and being unrepresentative as to what the numbers/text mean.
50% IS average, but would you play a game that has so much against it that it looses 50% of it's score? probably not. that is why REALISTICALLY, 50% is NOT average.

and saying anything below 50% is not worth considering and anything above 50% is worth considering is WAY too black and white of a view. know what i'm getting at? 49% is not worth playing but 51% is (by your definition i mean)? i mean, magazines DO go by what you're saying, however most people would never go for a game that gets 60% as they would view something with that score to be very poor, and the magazines i think, adjust accordingly.

we're trying to look at why magazines rate the way they do REALISTICALLY, not a black and white cut and dry 50% = average. yes theoretically because of numbers, 50% IS middle, but in reality, i would NEVER play a game that got less than 70%, i would consider a 70% game to be meh... so so; even with a strict, tough grade system. bottom line, 90% is a very good score on any scale... it's excellent no matter how you think of it.

Raidea said:
Well, given the first post, aren't a lot of people blindly believing it?

I mean, coincidental that it was confirmed yesterday that there was no HLDM? Good gameplay - that's about as vague as you can get, even if it was a quick look I would never expect the pros and cons to be those in a million years.

Still, that's just my view on it, we will have to see!

Totally understandable.

But i know that dude from Spelletjesgarnaal longer than today, and I also know for a fact that he doesn't talk crap. Well, I have never known him too anyways.

Considering the many "omfg there's no hldm!!!" posts recently etc, it seems clear to me that a lot of people DO see this as a very big con.

The good gameplay pro well, let's say the gameplay is really really good, and it is discussed fairly in the review. Why not put "good gameplay" as a sum up in the pro's ?

You guys are rediculous, you can't judge a game based on ONE freaking review. Heck, I seriously doubt this entire fiasco is true in the first place. Hell, some magazines gave DoomIII a 75% and some gave it a 95%. Reviewers aren't meant to show how everybody will feel about a game, their supposed to show how THEY feel about the game. Get a grip

guinny said:
if hl2 really did get a 90...im beginning to get very...very scared that ive wasted the past year and a half of my life...

I agree, but we don't know of this is real or not.

I am choosing to think that it's fake, all will be revealed in the next few days when the mag is released.

Nobody who can sent a e-mail to PCGameplay to let them confirm this?

Let's not turn this into a real-life rendition of Jisatsu circle. ;)

Torre said:
Totally understandable.

But i know that dude from Spelletjesgarnaal longer than today, and I also know for a fact that he doesn't talk crap. Well, I have never known him too anyways.

Considering the many "omfg there's no hldm!!!" posts recently etc, it seems clear to me that a lot of people DO see this as a very big con.

The good gameplay pro well, let's say the gameplay is really really good, and it is discussed fairly in the review. Why not put "good gameplay" as a sum up in the pro's ?

Well, you never know on the internet, still...I don't actually know the reviewing format of the magazine yet...

No HLDM just seems like a bad point plucked out of the anger on the forums of just CSS as Multiplayer to justify the (low(in terms of other games scores)) score.

Gameplay is a vague word, I mean you could sum it up like that, but it's a bad summery, as I pointed out I don't know the reviewing format, but going by the PC Zone pros and cons (when they have a few) they could have broken it down.

Anyway, that's it for me because there is no point in debating now what we will be able to prove in a few days time! :)

Common sense goes a long ways people

NO, and I mean NO reviewer is going to put *physics engine and gameplay* as a pro. And considering we just learnt there was no DM yesterday, I find it funny that exactly one day after somebody *Claims* to have seen the score. Put 1 and 1 together and wallah, you get 2

So my conclusion? Bullshit

Dsty2001 said:

NO, and I mean NO reviewer is going to put *physics engine and gameplay* as a pro. And considering we just learnt there was no DM yesterday, I find it funny that exactly one day after somebody *Claims* to have seen the score. Put 1 and 1 together and wallah, you get 2

why wouldnt physics engine and gameplay be pros? they wouldnt put it that simply, but if the guy look at it for a few mins i doubt he would recall it word for word

Dsty2001 said:

Yes, and that means it's true!
I'll be laughing my ass off at you if it turns out to be valid.

For now, i'm just gonna wait patiently till it arrives at bookstores.

why wouldnt physics engine and gameplay be pros? they wouldnt put it that simply, but if the guy look at it for a few mins i doubt he would recall it word for word

Have you ever seen a review done by Pros and Cons? They don't just put *Good graphics, gameplay, cool gunz!* Usually if a game has good gameplay, good physics, bla bla bla it would be like

Pros: Innovative Gameplay with mind blowing action
Mind blowing physics engine
Mind blowing story that keeps you on the edge
Detailed graphics with some amazing special effects

There not just going to put 1 thing as the Pro, trust me. If review is true then I will be VERY, VERY suprised.

Have you ever read the magazine?

Like mentioned, it could be a short sum up from his head.
Don't get me wrong, i'm not blindly believing this, but there are a lot of factors which for me make this plausible.

Only time will tell.

Having no HLDM is a bull sh*t reason for taking off points, HELLO, its about whats IN the game not whats OUT of it. bah, therefore i say that this score is not valid, wait for PCgamer

Hyperion2010 said:
Having no HLDM is a bull sh*t reason for taking off points, HELLO, its about whats IN the game not whats OUT of it. bah, therefore i say that this score is not valid, wait for PCgamer

That in a way is a very good point there should be no reason they take away points for no hldm thats rediculous even tho Im not a big cs fan any valid professional reviewer bases reviews off of what is there not what the fanboys wanted that wasnt put in there they base there review off of what has been presented to them....Im starting to think this review is pretty rediculous or BS!

Like you said hyper wait for pcgamer!

Hyperion2010 said:
yea
lets just wait for PCGamer

90%? that's way to high... hl2 should be around 80% maybe 65% or something like that... since it's so crappy, after all we all have played it... or wait a minute! ...

man you are all so sad for beliving a random guy that says he's grandpas nanny had a sneek peek at a mag cover...

Hyperion2010 said:

God, that is so true.

It is obviously fake since the only people who care about HLDM are people in forums like this one..and not professional reviewers.

Foxtrot said:
It is obviously fake since the only people who care about HLDM are people in forums like this one..and not professional reviewers.

it has nothing to do with hldm. it has to do with HL2MP. plain old DM, or a elaborate new gamemode.

this isn't going to be uncommon. its unparalleled what valve has done with hl2, which is instead of hl2mp, put in a game that has nothing to do with the SP game.

reviewers ARE going to complain about it. casual gamers ARE going to wonder as well. because what people have come to expect from a FPS game like this, is a good SP, and then some MP themed around the SP. its simple really.

-

the only people who don't think its odd what valve has done are CS players. while their number is large. they don't make up the whole gaming community.

yeah that review is lame ... and if your friend told you about it he would just say this to you ... "yeah dude the pros: gameplay and physics ... cons : no half life 2 deathmatch " ... yeah right ... lame

Hyperion2010 said:

its a bit more complicated than that. the question is, if CS:S wasn't included, would it be docked off for not having its own themed mp?

i say no. when reviewers get a hold of HL2, they see a SP component and a MP component. unless they are biased CS players, they WILL say that its strange, and they will think, well if they have a MP component, why not make it related to the game?

it doesn't matter how GOOD CS:S is, reviewers will see it as a shortcoming because it has nothing to do with the game and they are reviewing the game hl2.

whatever
How long can it take for a group of people to do an hl2dm mod anyways...

poseyjmac said:
it has nothing to do with hldm. it has to do with HL2MP. plain old DM, or a elaborate new gamemode.

this isn't going to be uncommon. its unparalleled what valve has done with hl2, which is instead of hl2mp, put in a game that has nothing to do with the SP game.

reviewers ARE going to complain about it. casual gamers ARE going to wonder as well. because what people have come to expect from a FPS game like this, is a good SP, and then some MP themed around the SP. its simple really.

-

the only people who don't think its odd what valve has done are CS players. while their number is large. they don't make up the whole gaming community.
Of course its odd that they didn't do it, but reviewers are suppost to take a look at the features that it does have and evaluate them, not ones it could have had.

I suspect the PC Gamer review will have something like this to mention any actual HL2 multiplayer:

"It would have been nice being able to play a HL2 themed multiplayer after we finished the amazing single player but what are you going to do. I guess thats what mods are for."

However they probably won't subtract anything from the final score because of it.

drhansson said:
whatever
How long can it take for a group of people to do an hl2dm mod anyways...
Not long at all, this site already has one in the works.

it wont take long to make a mod i suppose

take all the netcode and scoreboards and crap from CS:S, add in some respawning, make some crap map, throw some hl2 weapons in there. it doesnt seem too complex to just whip it up, could take a week or two if some talent worked together and did it. of course, it would take longer to get great maps and good balance.

That is quite a low score for a highly anticipated game, including CS:S as HL2's multiplayer imho would be a far better alternative to HL2DM. Maybe the review is made up because of all the bitching about HL2DM. But if the original HL was to come with CS instead of HLDM I would've have rated the game much much higher.

mannyfresh027 said:
it wont take long to make a mod i suppose

take all the netcode and scoreboards and crap from CS:S, add in some respawning, make some crap map, throw some hl2 weapons in there. it doesnt seem too complex to just whip it up, could take a week or two if some talent worked together and did it. of course, it would take longer to get great maps and good balance.
Exactly, We will probably see the first HL2 multiplayer map (a basic cube map for testing purposes) within a couple of days of the SDK being released, and then two weeks at the most before well made re-creations of HL1DM maps start popping up.

The Mullinator said:
Of course its odd that they didn't do it, but reviewers are suppost to take a look at the features that it does have and evaluate them, not ones it could have had.

I suspect the PC Gamer review will have something like this to mention any actual HL2 multiplayer:

"I would have been nice being able to play a HL2 themed multiplayer after we finished the amazing single player but what are you going to do. I guess thats what mods are for."

However they probably won't subtract anything from the final score because of it.

we'll see. but like my second post said, since there is a MP mode present. reviewers might say, well they should have used the time porting that over to make their own themed MP game. many people don't want to buy counterstrike, and want to buy hl2 and they want to play hl2 in all respects that a modern FPS lets you.

The Mullinator said:
Exactly, We will probably see the first HL2 multiplayer map (a basic cube map for testing purposes) within a couple of days of the SDK being released, and then two weeks at the most before well made re-creations of HL1DM maps start popping up.

i think people already know this, but im talking in context of why reviewers might ding a score for not having it out of the box.

Back