HL2 Source Code

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally posted by G0rgon
Edge, I think you re very sad man right now,

nothing very seroius happned man. its only a bunch of code not even playable.

That bunch of code represents much of the know-how the whole Valve dev team has accumulated during the past five years.

Others will now be able to apply that knowledge in perhaps a matter of months without paying a dime.

YOU GUYS THINK YOU MAGICALLY AND ACCIDENTALLY STUMBLED ONTO THE SOURCE CODE FOR HL2!!?!? AHAHAHAHA, ROFL, LMAO, LOL, ummm WHAT ELSE. STFU! LOL. CSL!! ROFL!! THE SOURCE CODE TO HALF LIFE 2 IS GUARDED BY A QUADTRIPLEDGE MAJOR STEEL REINFORCED ALCATRAZ PRISON DOOR HOLDER CRAZY LOCK COMBINATION SUPER FANTASTICAL CODE VAULT INSIDE GABE NEWELLS ASS. YOUR NOT GONNA GET IT! LOL> ROFL> LMAO> STFU!! HAHA

My word...

Originally posted by grekster
so by that reckoning i can knowingly get a stolen car, for free and not be done for it because i have no intention of passing it on? i dont think so.
The difference? This file can be duplicated infinitely, and thus spread to people without traces of who all might have it. A car cannot be copied.

yeah, i found this earlier but decided not to post it :)

has anyone determined that this is not just the sdk? valve has said the sdk gives you almost full control over all aspects of the engine, so this very well could have been leaked by someone who already has the sdk, ie dod development team.

Do you think nVidia leaked this piece of art?

Could it be interesting for them to do this? And how could they have access to Source?

Exe version 1.0 (protocol 2)
Build: 07:54:29 Oct 2 2003 (2)
Adding: Z:\Half-Life\valve\bin\server.dll
Game .dll loaded for "Half-Life 2"
Unable to load manifest file 'scripts/game_sounds_manifest.txt'
Proof that you can't use the game yet, even with this source code.

Originally posted by madCoder
The difference? This file can be duplicated infinitely, and thus spread to people without traces of who all might have it. A car cannot be copied.

that doesnt make it any less illegal, just like with music and films, there still illegal copies

Originally posted by Hanta Swe
If person nr 1 takes a car from person 2 , and gives it to person 3, nr 3 can be punished, at least in Sweden. :cheese:

and in uk... "receiving/harbouring stolen goods". its only a matter of time until they make it relevent to copywrited digital material :(

wow... it would be nice after all if the sucker who leaked this gets into prison for 10 years...

Hope he gets raped in the showers...

make a manifest_blah_blah.txt file that says "HL2 - RUN !"

that ought to fix it up!

i'm pretty sure this is just the sdk. it doesn't include any of the bsp's or models or sounds that half-life 2 uses, because if they released the sdk to dev teams early (dod team) they wouldn't give them those things.

In the US alone, it's estimated that more than 60 million people download copywritten material. The only way to crack down on file sharing would be to criminalise 1/4 of the population... which is never going to work.

Originally posted by rootbin
i'm pretty sure this is just the sdk. it doesn't include any of the bsp's or models or sounds that half-life 2 uses, because if they released the sdk to dev teams early (dod team) they wouldn't give them those things.
They also wouldn't need those things in an archive of the source code.

I highly doubt it's the SDK. There's sourcecode included for some other well known Valve games they definately would not release to the public.

you can't enforce a law that no-one will obey.

i'm pretty sure that's part of your constitution.

Originally posted by razorblade kiss
YOU GUYS THINK YOU MAGICALLY AND ACCIDENTALLY STUMBLED ONTO THE SOURCE CODE FOR HL2!!?!? AHAHAHAHA, ROFL, LMAO, LOL, ummm WHAT ELSE. STFU! LOL. CSL!! ROFL!! THE SOURCE CODE TO HALF LIFE 2 IS GUARDED BY A QUADTRIPLEDGE MAJOR STEEL REINFORCED ALCATRAZ PRISON DOOR HOLDER CRAZY LOCK COMBINATION SUPER FANTASTICAL CODE VAULT INSIDE GABE NEWELLS ASS. YOUR NOT GONNA GET IT! LOL> ROFL> LMAO> STFU!! HAHA

:eek: :eek: :eek:

Assuming this is real...

Would all these files (once compiled) be held within heavily-encrypted Steam cache files?

If so, would this measure prevent hackers from substituting their own altered versions of the files?

steam is probably already set up to check those sort of things. otherwise, you could remake counter-strike with the same netcode, but make it display special things (wink), and connect to normal counter-strike servers.

Someone over at the steampowered.com forums said it was a fake done by altering the HL1 SDK source to make it look like HL2 source. Could someone who has previously seen or used the HL1 SDK please confirm or deny this?

Somewhere, John Carmack laughs heartily... btw i have the source code now too :p wont post a link though cause i know its bad :( its rarred in 31 mb but unconpressed it uses a whole 160 mb from your hdd

I'm looking at it and I think it's real and that Valve is probably in too much of a state of shock to respond right now. :(

So much for any online HL2 fun, the cheaters are going to have a field day with this!

(BTW-This is much, MUCH worse than just an alpha version of the game being leaked early......MUCH worse! :( )

steam is probably already set up to check those sort of things. otherwise, you could remake counter-strike with the same netcode, but make it display special things (wink), and connect to normal counter-strike servers.
yes, but if you had the source code, and that source code also includes the areas of the code that validate the file, then you can make the necessary change to the source to bypass that check, and report falsely that it is an original. Most if not all of these problems can be solved by VALVe before the release of the game ... Since this is being released before the game is released, it's very easy for them to make a change in the code to make this leaked source not work. (it would have been difficult to do so had the game already been released). But like I said -- the code gives anyone who is interested insight.

Word of advice:

Take everything "my g0t" releases with a grain of salt. They just want to anger HL fans.

Ta.

lets hope this wont be usefull for the creators of cheats :(

There is server and client code here so expect to see isolated served buiilds popping up.

Ie servers that don't use won or steam etc

there is some HL1 source in it also, which looks the same (kinda) as the so called HL2 source.

Possible it was just altered HL1, I guess.

Originally posted by Wesisapie
there is some HL1 source in it also, which looks the same (kinda) as the so called HL2 source.

Possible it was just altered HL1, I guess.

I have no doubt at all that this is just an edited HL1 SDK released by "my g0t." Have a look at their site, this is the kind of stunts they like to pull. Not to mention, the guy who "released" this on the Steam forums and over MIRC is a my g0t member.

Coincidence? :dozey:

Originally posted by klopper
I have no doubt at all that this is just an edited HL1 SDK released by "my g0t." Have a look at their site, this is the kind of stunts they like to pull. Not to mention, the guy who "released" this on the Steam forums and over MIRC is a my g0t member.

Suspicious :dozey:

HL 1 sdk didnt have source code in it ,and since the HL 1 source code is never released ur totally wrong :dork:

Originally posted by WaSwAt
wow this thread is getting longer and longer :/

and rounder and rounder lol ;)

edit: for anyone who didn't get that, i meant its going in circles.

Originally posted by madCoder
yes, but if you had the source code, and that source code also includes the areas of the code that validate the file, then you can make the necessary change to the source to bypass that check, and report falsely that it is an original. Most if not all of these problems can be solved by VALVe before the release of the game ... Since this is being released before the game is released, it's very easy for them to make a change in the code to make this leaked source not work. (it would have been difficult to do so had the game already been released). But like I said -- the code gives anyone who is interested insight.

this does not include the source code for steam. steam would be making those checks, so no, you can't modify it.

Still, having an open mind is always good.

I guess we'll see how things pan out concerning this.

Originally posted by klopper

Coincidence? :dozey:

yeah that is possible... can someone e-mail gabe about it? i cant wait to see his reaction :devil: :cheese:

Originally posted by Diablo2k
HL 1 sdk didnt have source code in it ,and since the HL 1 source code is never released ur totally wrong :dork:

Don't put it past these my g0t people to spend a few months creating bogus files and filenames

But if you know the backdoor steam wont block it

Originally posted by MrD
and rounder and rounder lol ;)

edit: for anyone who didn't get that, i meant it's going in circles.

Edit:
whoops!!!! lol what on earth am i doing.

ignore this rofl!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back