HL2 Source Code

Status
Not open for further replies.
if they got a hold of the HL2 source code (supposing it IS real), why didn't they get the graphics, maps and models too?

So it looks like Valve is being typical and just keeping their yaps shut for the time being. I imagine they've spent the whole day trying to determine the source of the leak and determining what kind of damage this could do to the company and don't want to further publicize the leak by making a formal statement.

At the same time, I wonder if they would consider denying it, saying that it's a very clever hoax just to throw people off the scent?

RE: Source code HL1 - only the SDk source has been released, not the entire HL1 source.

>> 2) A few days ago we spot a fired next to an artist which opens up a discussion on why valve would publically do that

>> 3) Yesterday/today the artist name the totally dissapears from the employee list even tho valve state he still working there

confirmed as a joke. Have you checked the site? He's there with a full bio.

The source code seems code from Half-Life 1 the SDK and source files from the old Quake game.

Originally posted by Nathaniel
that's a frikkin SDK, not the entire sourcecode....

This is the full Half-Life software development kit, version 2.3, including source code, binaries and tools.

Edit: Haha, shuzer beat me to it.

Originally posted by Nathaniel
if they got a hold of the HL2 source code (supposing it IS real), why didn't they get the graphics, maps and models too?

Probably due ot the size of grafix files these days, the code is about 160Mb by itself. easier to grab the code than the whole thing

this has been posted on half-lifenews.

UPDATE:
I am now being told, by someone who knows, that what is in this "leak" is actually a reworked Half-Life1 Source that's been tweaked to look like the Half-Life2 source.

If this is orchestrated by valve then then the only reason they could have for doing it is to justify a lengthy delay...... ie. bullshit us into thinking that they have to make some changes to the code which would give them more time to sort out Steam and Nvidia or whoever.

I hope this is bullshit, remember the Email hoaxes from Gabe prior to the release date. Lets just hope this is more of the same.

Originally posted by chewysplace
thats a Software Development Kit! NOT SOURCE CODE!

Put your pantiese back on, compose yourself, and re-read the file description at FilePlanet.

Originally posted by Killerlagger
Hummm lets look at the facts a bit:

1) Around a week before the release date Valve say they wont be releasing HL 2 on the 30th of Sept and dont give a set date which is very odd as I would think with all the pushing to get to 30/9 they must be very close to the end and maybe needed 2-4 weeks extra.

2) A few days ago we spot a fired next to an artist which opens up a discussion on why valve would publically do that

3) Yesterday/today the artist name the totally dissapears from the employee list even tho valve state he still working there

4) 2/10 Leak is out on net

Well someone asked what would make valve to do this to an employee publically on their website this could just be it... I mean Valve may have found out about the leak of the source and pulled back the launch date to rework on the code to stop it being manipulated by cheats etc...

EDIT: okie his name back up so he might not be the source but i have a feeling valve knew about this in advance

Dhabih Eng was not fired. It was just a joke played by someone at the Valve office. This has been confirmed by Dhabih himself in a forumpost.

That "source code" they mention is just the game dll source code... it doesn't include anything else, like engine code.

They are NOT the same. Whatever this is it is not just the hl1 sdk.

It remains to be seen if it is actually hl2 tho.

Originally posted by OCybrManO
That "source code" they mention is just the game dll source code... it doesn't include anything else, like engine code.

Like I said, I was going on the description alone.. :)

Veteblue you should have read the edit before replying mate :p

Anyway the point is still there did valve know there was a potential leak 1-2 weeks ago?

That "source code" they mention is just the game dll source code... it doesn't include the anything else, like engine code.

because releasing the entire source code would be stupid :\

If I'm not mistaken, Half-Life used the Quake engine, which has been released to the public. The SDK can be modified for DLLs, and the Quake source for the exes.

well the "leaked" HL2 source and teh quake source only match up by 8% so its no "modified" Quake 1 code

Edit: still downloading the SDK :/

Originally posted by The Cleaner
this has been posted on half-lifenews.

UPDATE:
I am now being told, by someone who knows, that what is in this "leak" is actually a reworked Half-Life1 Source that's been tweaked to look like the Half-Life2 source.

If it is only a tweaked HL1 source, why does valve not announce it officially. Everything would again be quiet afterwards....

The engine is supposed to be a little Quake, maybe a pinch of Quake 2, and a lot of new code.

vacs: Maybe because valve want people top get excited about HL2
again...

If someone finds out how to make use of that source code I'll fear what I'll do...

Valve doesn't really seem like the type of company to make timely announcements.

ok, can now someone please leak the HL2 benchmark?

Originally posted by nw909
Well, at least the game isn't leaked.

This is worse than the game leaking, and the reasons why have been stated several times

Originally posted by nw909
Well, at least the game isn't leaked.

the source code being leaked is much worse...as has been stated many times :\

The engine is supposed to be a little Quake, maybe a pinch of Quake 2, and a lot of new code.

That's exactly what they would use for it. They're cunning people, these hoax artists.

the source? no its completly valves own work, just becuase it might have commands that look the same does not mean its baised on it, many diffrent game engines "look" simmilar at certian times. (becuase there all doing the same thing, driving a game engine) just like a ford engine looks the same as a ferrari one, does not make them all made by "chevy" or whatever, there just baised on the same idea.

By fragmaster, at planethalflife:

lot of wacky crap is currently going down in Half-Lifesville. There are a lot of rumors and bad information out there at the moment, just keep in mind that most of it is inaccurate or only partially true.
The Half-Life 2 source code has in fact been leaked, though. While this certainly isn't good, it doesn't appear to be catastrophically bad at this point either, since no actual Half-Life 2 game content or art was included. Again, downloading the source code will not enable you to play the game.

We're hoping Valve will step up, do some damage control, and clear everything up.

Don't think so. Valve says they created Source from scratch. I'm sure they're basing it on original code they wrote for the Half-Life 1 engine, but I don't think iD is going to get any royalties for Half-Life 2 or Source licenses.

My question is HOW could it have been leaked.

Valve isn't dumb enought to leave comps hooked to the internet that have code, so thats pretty much out. the only other way i could think is that they had a burned cd of the code and someone swiped it somewhere, say a convention or maybe the janitor

Originally posted by Bramski
If this is orchestrated by valve then then the only reason they could have for doing it is to justify a lengthy delay...... ie. bullshit us into thinking that they have to make some changes to the code which would give them more time to sort out Steam and Nvidia or whoever.

I hope this is bullshit, remember the Email hoaxes from Gabe prior to the release date. Lets just hope this is more of the same.

I actually thought this same thing this morning, though I can't quite bring myself to believe it. If Valve comes out and says, "due to the source code leak, we'll need extra development time to secure our product," let conspiracy theories begin.... At Valve office right now: "Well Erik, we've gotten you the time you need to implement P2P in Steam. Mwuahahahahaha."

Personally, I think this is Modified HL1 Source + HL2 SDK Source.

you know, don't read the source code guys. If it's real there are quite a few spoilers in it.

The thing that looks scarily legit is all the build batch files in one of the screenshots.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back