HL2 Source Code

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, just looked through the archive carefully, and here is what i think. there are some odd things, but there are a number of things that indicate that this is real.

there are 7,670 files in more than 300 folders. every one of them was written very carefully, and has a different date/time stamp. Too much work for some hacker kids, i'd say. anyhow, the data that is in some of those files seems to point to it being the source code for the E3 demo, or some early build. The enemies listed in one of the files are only the enemies that we've seen or know about, and it's clear that Valve is planning on surprising us with new stuff...there's no new or surprising stuff in that file. I e-mailed gabe, and we'll see if we hear back. for now, good night.

================
SV_FinishCertificateCheck

For LAN connections, make sure we don't have too many people with same cd key hash
For Authenticated net connections, check the certificate and also double check won userid
from that certificate
================

User tried to sneak in with lan authentication, even though we are requring full

PUT IT IN A COMpiler!!!! and see what it makes!!!!! now!!!:cheers:

Originally posted by Clay
PUT IT IN A COMpiler!!!! and see what it makes!!!!! now!!!:cheers:

You probably get a executable or two and some dll's but as a other user said, you'll be missing 2/3 of all files anyway so you probably won't be able to run it anyway.

And if this is the real source code.. shame on you that stole it. :bonce:

People have been saying "Why would he be pming himself?" Well, if he was making a hoax, wouldn't that make it that much more believeable?

Does anyone have any more info on whats it in, where it was got from, if it is legit or not, etc?

Originally posted by DaveKap
Why the hell would t0y be PMing himself?

Because he's such a loser that nobody wants to talk to him, so he talks to himself?

========= Copyright © 1996-2002, Valve LLC, All rights reserved. ============
//
// Purpose: Giant walking strider thing!

Originally posted by Spiffae
anyhow, the data that is in some of those files seems to point to it being the source code for the E3 demo, or some early build. The enemies listed in one of the files are only the enemies that we've seen or know about...
Or it is fake and that explains why it only contains the few monster we already know about. Still, I agree it appears to be too much work to be fake.

Ok I am truly scared.. I have looked through it and it looks totally legit.. but I am not a programmer. I PRAY THIS IS FAKE or and outdated version.. a leak of the source code will be detrimental to HL2

Originally posted by Sh0t
The hax will be amazing.

I'm excited.

dipshit... the game will be delayed if not suspended... not just hacks.. someone with the right compiler could MAKE HL2 and release it on the net.

Originally posted by Edge
dipshit... the game will be delayed if not suspended... not just hacks.. someone with the right compiler could MAKE HL2 and release it on the net.

no they can't, the important files are protected.

[edit]

and the "right" compiler is any c++ compiler, although they use visual studio specifically.

actually from browsing it, most of the game engine is there along with havok's physics componant.

You could build the engine but thats about it.

No maps, levels models etc.

However, I expect a huge number of underground games to come out using it.

Life doth suck for valve perhaps?

hmm, id love to get my hands on this purely for the educational purposes - I'm a CS major, and would love to see the kind of code they are writing...btw, I thought it was kinda funny, my software engineering TA looks JUST like a young Gordon Freeman. I sit there imagining i'm being taught by Gorden. its cool.

/loser

hmm, i'm wondering if this was someones way of getting revenge for hl2 not being out on the 30th...

Originally posted by Sh0t
actually from browsing it, most of the game engine is there along with havok's physics componant.

You could build the engine but thats about it.

No maps, levels models etc.

However, I expect a huge number of underground games to come out using it.

Life doth suck for valve perhaps?

too bad the important files are on a protected server, therefore you can't get them, therefore, yeah...

both threads are now deleted... dont suppose someone took the initiative to save them and will mirror them,,,?

Originally posted by Pol
hmm, i'm wondering if this was someones way of getting revenge for hl2 not being out on the 30th...
Although I agree someone should teach Valve a thing or two about how to treat your fans and customers, nobody deserves this for a game they've worked on for that long.

Probably Pol

Eclipxe, what year CS major?
Unless you are pretty familiar with c++ and more specifically the setup of the media frameworks, it's not really "helpful" from a learning standpoint.

Outside of a gaming franchise, it probably wouldn't fly.

structure isn't the best, not enough commenting, a lot of self admitted "hacks" are in it (comments say it).

Stick to the class exercises :)

Although I agree someone should teach Valve a thing or two about how to treat your fans and customers, nobody deserves this for a game they've worked on for that long.
exactly, its a bit harsh

Originally posted by thefunkygibbon
both threads are now deleted... dont suppose someone took the initiative to save them and will mirror them,,,?

i have a copy of the email and the source pictures, i didnt copy erik's post from the email thread though.

Sh0t - I'm a second year CS major, but I've been working as a programmer for about a year doing the backend for www.fictionwise.com. I've pretty much learned all I know from looking at other code...hands on.....i want the source! thats the kind of thing id read all day just absorbing info...hehe

a.) Hacks.
b.) VALVe loses TONS of money because Source no longer needs to be licensed.

Consequently, if they choose to take action on this, it'll mean a HUGE delay of HL2.

Anyone using this source to make their own engine is donig so illegally, so I can't see any devs trying it.

Originally posted by PiMuRho
Anyone using this source to make their own engine is donig so illegally, so I can't see any devs trying it.

Do you think that's going to stop people from looking in the code, prying things apart, and just copying and pasting?

Sure, they might not use *Source* per se, but release a "new" engine that has a great deal of Source in it.

Originally posted by PiMuRho
True, and assuming the elusive SDK ever comes out using that to make a mod is really a much better and easier way to get access to the engine.

Originally posted by Rice-Rocketeer
a.) Hacks.
b.) VALVe loses TONS of money because Source no longer needs to be licensed.

Consequently, if they choose to take action on this, it'll mean a HUGE delay of HL2.

the source floating around is old, no legit developer who would be licensing source engine would ever develop a retail game with this, also the source is missing important files, alot of it won't compile at all.

Whether or not it is old, it doesn't matter.

Hackers will have a headstart if they have a rudimentary understanding of the engine code.

And as I said...nobody is stupid enough to use an outdated Source engine for their game, but what is to stop them from taking bits and pieces of technology to make their "own" engine?

Well well welll...There ya go... Thats what happens when u dont release the most anticipated game of the year on time. prolly a programmer was pissed and said F$ck it!

Originally posted by He@t!
Well well welll...There ya go... Thats what happens when u dont release the most anticipated game of the year on time. prolly a programmer was pissed and said F$ck it!

...thereby potentially ruining his/her livelihood?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back