HL2 Theories

Once again, Gearbox did it. Though I've been wondering...if HL2 doesn't factor in the Gearbox add-on plot developments, and the story is indeed this 'conspiracy theory'-type plotline, then they'll have to really work had to avoid any plot holes (which may mean that they'll make loose tie-ins with the add-ons, but nothing that'll REQUIRE you to have knowledge of the add-ons...much like "Final Flight of the Osiris" did with Matrix: Reloaded)

-Vert

I don't think Gearbox Addons will factor too largely in HL2... that'd be a bit weird, IMO it'd be a bit lame... unless they make Sheppard just another Barney... whatever side he takes.

Thing I'm thinking is that the addons had a similar story to HL, could the writer have worked with Gearbox on the mods? If so there's a chance some of that could come into play... then again it could just be that they don't touch on any of that, instead of ignoring it. Idunno...

Well, I've been thinking about it a bit more, and honestly, if they don't factor Op4 at all into HL2, I'll be a tad disappointed. I mean, Sheppard's locked away in a dimension that knows no time, and is put there until he is needed again....aaand he's never needed again so he's just there forever? Sounds kinda dumb to me, but I guess for all those who never played Op4, they'd be none the wiser...ah well.

-Vert

I think the deal with Freeman and G-man is this:

I think that originally G-man didn't pay any attention to freeman...he probably thought that Freeman would die under the "resonance cascade"(or whatever that rift-dimension-thingie was called) and if not there...then when he sent in the marines and assasins to clear out the area...

but suprisingly Freeman manage to get thru all this and I think to some degree pretty much screw up G-man plans(at least the original ones, whatver they might have been) but instead of seeing it as a loss...he's discovered how resource full Freeman is....and instead turn defeat to victory by hiring Freeman.

I don't think that G-man intended to hire Freeman in the first place...I don't even think he would have guessed that Freeman would survive for so long...

Originally posted by PriNcE oF SpAcE
I don't think that G-man intended to hire Freeman in the first place...I don't even think he would have guessed that Freeman would survive for so long...

It's all in the Hazard Suit.

Maybe the Barney in HL2 is the one who escaped in Blue Shift :) So Shephard could be in there somewhere as well.

Yeah that's what I was thinking, Votka.

Just need to know if the HL2 Barney is Barney Calhoun, 'cause thats the dude we played as in Blue Shift.

I doubt that you will see any of the characters played by the player in HL1 +exp. as NPC's...

Originally posted by PriNcE oF SpAcE
I doubt that you will see any of the characters played by the player in HL1 +exp. as NPC's...

Why not? Besides, theres bound to be mods (hopefully by Gearbox!) which let you play as some of the NPC's.

Originally posted by Dave
Why not? Besides, theres bound to be mods (hopefully by Gearbox!) which let you play as some of the NPC's.

because it would be lame...

it would ruin the feeling of that it was you who accomplished all the things back in the original HL1 +exp.

you've might hear story bits of what they've been doing...but that probably won't be anything huge, since it will be a shame to let the player out of those actions...

Well, I don't think it would be lame. It would help explain how Barney got out of BM in the first place, too.

Originally posted by Dave
Well, I don't think it would be lame. It would help explain how Barney got out of BM in the first place, too.

what barney u talking about?

The Barney in HL2.

If it is indeed Barney Calhoun from BlueShift, then we already know how he got out of Black Mesa.

In the videos you do hear Barney say "Remember when we thought Black Mesa was bad!" or something similar.

I haven't played blue-shift...but

isn't that fat a-hole security guard from Op4 called barney?

I think personally it would be cool, to either fight alongside Adrian Shephard, or play as him in an expansion for HL2.

As for theories in HL2, I think its highly likely the Combine ARE aliens as is the G-Man, due to the fact of the odd writing on their equipment, and also of the name. The G-Man speaks with that slur 'sssssss' which I think makes it very obvious that he's an alien. Thats a very good way of letting you know straight away that he probably isn't human in my opinion.

As for my own theory, this one is kind of crude, and I haven't thought of it all the way through. All this teleportation, could be linked with time travel. For example, Nihilanth says 'You are the last' if I remember correctly. Perhaps Gordon is the last time traveller? You saw all those dead bodies in HEV suits, they might have been time travellers before Gordon. Xen could perhaps be some planet from the future, which you need to teleport through time to get to? Also about the G-Man's 'employers' at the end of Op4. I think that the G-Man is only the 'ambassador' or showpiece of something very big, and very sinister, perhaps another alien race, or race from the future? I'm not sure on everything myself, but do you think Time Travelling could be a plausible idea?

Yeah I think time traveling could be plausible.

Personally, I am sure the G-Man is an Alien, as are the Combine. I say this because in the video where you see the Black Citadel taking over the city, which IMO is the Combines work, on one of the recordings Gabe explains that it is an Alien structure. Therfore, if it is Combine owned, it most likely proves that the Combine themselves are Aliens, thus wearing the strange uniforms and gasmasks.

nah, Combines are aliens (or wat we can conclude from all the information), but the "troops" are indeed human that are "influenced" by the combine

Gabe did say in the beginning of the strider video, "the alien combine..."

Originally posted by Alzxul
I think personally it would be cool, to either fight alongside Adrian Shephard, or play as him in an expansion for HL2.

As for theories in HL2, I think its highly likely the Combine ARE aliens as is the G-Man, due to the fact of the odd writing on their equipment, and also of the name. The G-Man speaks with that slur 'sssssss' which I think makes it very obvious that he's an alien. Thats a very good way of letting you know straight away that he probably isn't human in my opinion.

As for my own theory, this one is kind of crude, and I haven't thought of it all the way through. All this teleportation, could be linked with time travel. For example, Nihilanth says 'You are the last' if I remember correctly. Perhaps Gordon is the last time traveller? You saw all those dead bodies in HEV suits, they might have been time travellers before Gordon. Xen could perhaps be some planet from the future, which you need to teleport through time to get to? Also about the G-Man's 'employers' at the end of Op4. I think that the G-Man is only the 'ambassador' or showpiece of something very big, and very sinister, perhaps another alien race, or race from the future? I'm not sure on everything myself, but do you think Time Travelling could be a plausible idea?

TIME TRAVELLING???

WTF -- WHY, WHERE, WHO, WHAT THE **** !!!

Gman an alien ?? uhmmmmmmm.... he could work for some dark human organziation btw

Maybe the Barney in HL2 is the one who escaped in Blue Shift So Shephard could be in there somewhere as well.
In this one interview I saw somewhere, Gabe Newell was talking about HL2. And he specifically said that Barney CALHOUN was making a comeback. So thus, Barney in HL2 is indeed Barney from Blue Shift. Now, we need to be on the lookout for Shepherd. I bet he'll factor back into the story at some point... maybe not Half-Life 2, but perhaps in Half-Life 3.

Originally posted by Speculator
nah, Combines are aliens (or wat we can conclude from all the information), but the "troops" are indeed human that are "influenced" by the combine

I agree...it wouldn't make much sense to issue standard human gear/weaponry to aliens...

maybe barney wont be a security cop this time...maybe a rebal fighter, or a super hero set out to crush world domination.

Oh yeah i can see it now;

"Look up in the sky, is it a bird?
"Is it a plane"
"Nah, it's some cop in bodyarmour an a blue cape"

*realisation dawns on crowd below*

"IT'S SUPER-BARNEY-MAN!!"

And faintly from above comes his famous cry, "Man, I'll be happy to get out of this with all my body parts intact..."

Heh, yeah, but now when he says "You'll wish you hadn't done that", it'll at least sound cool and intimidating...I mean, with the cape and the obligatory tights, and all...

-Vert

Spiderbarney...
BatBarney...
Barney the Hulk...

just some exempels, he he he he he

While i do believe that the two expansions for Half Life will play a part in the story of HL2 (Well... Op4 at least, as Blueshift added very little to the story, other than barney and the 4 scientist models escaping), as Gearbox worked with Valve's story writer to make the games...

If any Add-ons are made for HL2, I doubt they'd be made by Gearbox. There's strong rumour that the relationship between Valve and Gearbox has ended, since Ritual took over from them on the CS:CZ project. Oh well.

I'd really like to see Shepard again... particularly as an end-game/level boss. Make his AI seriously uber, give him a decent arsenal, a few "traps" of his own, and you'd have an interesting enemy :D I can really see Shepard as an enemy, much more than a friend. I can't see him have any reason to work with Freeman, who slaughtered a load of his good buddies. Oh me oh my.

True, but Shepard, at least in my eyes, is a guy who's really a good person, just put between a rock and a hard place...he had to do what he had to do for survival, not because he loves killing innocent people. Though it definitely would be interesting (and very satisfying) if Shepard did factor into HL2 as an NPC...it'd be cool to see how he's played out by Valve...

-Vert

I'd prefer to see Shephard as an ally, but I can see where you're going with the enemy part. As he was detained by the G-Man, which has presumbly pissed him off, and Gordon is working for the G-Man in HL2, so if he is put into it, you might get some conflict.

I think the aliens s pissed because of their moms operation went wrong and the doctor left a crowbar in her heart by accident and they tacked it down to gordon...( *just kiddin'* )

:bounce:

Shephard doesnt know that Freeman has killed some marines (they never mention it in opfor).

Man, he doesnt EVEN KNOW WHO THE **** IS GORDON FREEMAN, he just hears people talking about him and such, and when he saw a guy in an orange suit didnt even realize that he was freeman.

And also, the marines killed by Gordon could not be friends of Shephard.

edit: the scientist says "freeman hurry up" (or something) so he know that freeman is a guy in a orange suit with red hairs.

Anyway the rest of the previous message is correct i hope

Would be pretty interesting to see Shepard as an enemy ;)

Maybe Gordon is working for the G-Man with the Combine, but then rebels and goes against them. The G-Man takes a trip to Xen to get his backup - Adrian Shepard. Gives him a Combine uniform and sends him off to assasinate Gordon. :E

Gearbox made an expansion pack for HL called "Opposing Force". In it you play with the Military Grunts sent in to Black Mesa. You play as a Military Corporal named Adrian Shepard.

Aah...I see....I have all of them but I havent finished them all yet...
Do you think I should?

:bounce:

Of course you should, I replayed through HL, Op4, and Blue-Shift again recently because I was so bored waiting for HL2 :cheese:

Back