Magazine coverage of HL2

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am sure it will leak in to the whole internet fast.. so this talk is totally unnessecary.. lets just get back on topic.

One more thing I want to know.

Could someone tell me how to send a file through PM ? thanks

Ok ive got the new pc gamer (uk)

its a rehash of everything we already know with a part 2 coming next month.

1 thing cuaght my eye though

"As we go to press Valve still arent ready to give a concrete release date. But if theres one word you can take away from this feature, its this: SOON!"

The reason PCG UK hasn't printed any new info is that PC Zone UK have the exclusive rights to reveal the new info/screenies first. Atleast, that's what I gather.

SFA said:
The reason PCG UK hasn't printed any new info is that PC Zone UK have the exclusive rights to reveal the new info/screenies first. Atleast, that's what I gather.

i hope thats true.

I prefer Zone to gamer, and would like to see Zone actualy fulfill their promises unlike gamer.

"next month everything you want to know"

*looks at "next months" issue*

yip nothing new here. :sleep:

SFA said:

I feel to see why they would get exclusive rights... I think it's more likely that there's another NDA.

offcourse there is.. but if you want to sell a magazine you want to say .. ooh look at me I am 1337magazine, we have exclusive rights.

Dougy said:

1 thing cuaght my eye though

"As we go to press Valve still arent ready to give a concrete release date. But if theres one word you can take away from this feature, its this: SOON!"

Nice :)

But can you confirm it really says

Scorps said:
It does say they got to play HL2. "We've just been over to Valve's HQ in Seattle for our first hands-on play of the game. And we can tell you this: it's everything we've hoped"
?

If it's true, then atleast you know it's worth the waiting :)

PvtRyan said:

?

Yeah, it does say that.

notice the date on those other scans... april 22, 2003. those were from PC Gamer. maybe that's when we'll see scans.

Arg.... (bangs head into monitor)

We know that PCGamer UK's got nothing. It's PCGamerUS that we're interested in. :)

PvtRyan said:

?

yes it says that.

id scan it in but my scanner is fooked.

*never try to scan your shoe, while your foot is in it*

Although i can quote whatever bits you want.

PC Gamer UK, interesting quotes:

"PC Gamer is the first UK Magazine to be given a hands-on play of Half-Life 2, and I'm sure it won't ruin the surprise if I just let slip... it's fantastic. Valve have lost none of their genius for pure game design"

"We've just been over to Valve's HQ in Seattle for our first hands-on play of the game. And we can tell you this: It's everything we've hoped. As we go to press Valve still aren't ready to give a concrete release date. But if there's one word you can take away from this feature, it's this: Soon"

Those are the only vaguely new things iin PC Gamer UK. The first quote to me seems to indicate that there's definately an NDA.

Orange said:
could you, say,
quote the whole article? :D

*scotty voice from star treck*

Its 6 pages long Capn!

i dinnae hae the pooer!

Blast!
Well rather than starve on a lack of information, are there any quotes you find interesting Dougy taht you could share with the class :D?
Tanks fo yo time : )
Don't feel like you have to though.

6 pages of things we already knew about? whatd they do just post their old article again?

I'd like to know what they mean by taking out "soon"... they dont think it'll be soon then? so it doesn't seem complete?... hm...

and usually i get my magazine 14-16 days into the month... i still havn't gotten my US gamer...

If its just a rehap, im going to be very dissapointed... and alot of their reviews and thigns are going downhill.. i dont like it :angry:

Dougy if theres anything worth posting just quote it... anything is fine with me right now.

"I'd like to know what they mean by taking out "soon"... they dont think it'll be soon then? so it doesn't seem complete?... hm..."

They don't mean 'remove all instances of the word "soon" from the article' or that it won't be soon. Basically they are saying, if you gain one single bit of information from this article, it should be the word "soon".

In other words the author thinks that HL2 is coming out soon. I somehow think that their idea of soon might be somewhat more akin to VALVe's than ours ;)

The Article would contain new info if you didn't have the net. A lot of the info came from the Valve Info thread as well as various online interviews.

The bottom line, though, is that no one REALLY knows when it will be be out. Even if Valve thinks things are looking good for a post-e3 release, you never know what could crop up. So don't get your hopes up until it goes gold.

Apos said:
The bottom line, though, is that no one REALLY knows when it will be be out. Even if Valve thinks things are looking good for a post-e3 release, you never know what could crop up. So don't get your hopes up until it goes gold.

There's confirmation that the game will release this year, but you'd expect that anyway... so meh.

I was told by some newsstands that they expect PC Gamer this week. who the hell knows at this point though.

another quick question...
has the UK PCgamer been identical to the US's?

and techincally.. hasn't this week sort of.. ended already? or do you mean the 20th? ah well...

man... this is kinda.. stupid..

Joeyslucky22 said:

and techincally.. hasn't this week sort of.. ended already? or do you mean the 20th? ah well...

PC Gamer US and UK are different things.

Feath said:
PC Gamer US and UK are different things.

ok so now it makes more sense as to why you're all expecting something new. :LOL:

:highhopes!:

Problem with a word like "soon" is that some people get an idea on how long that is.
weeks, months, quarters, etc. and they get expectations.

If the expectation is not met, a lottal feces hits the fan like it did post sept30th
"maybe it;ll be out it OCt!"
"Maybe it'll be out in Nov!"
"X-mas?"
Im not flaming the release, but I'm saying people might think soon is much sooner than it really is ; ) .

Also, when they say soon, that's only an estimation. Something could come up that pushes it back. So don't get too giddy yet ; )

As I've said before, the way a company like Valve works is that they make plans to acheive some design goal. And when they get there, they sit down and say "okay, we did most of what we wanted to do. There are clearly more things we could do, some things we've had to leave out, and some things that aren't as good as we hoped. Do we polish this up and stop here, or do we push on?" And nobody knows prior to that discussion what the answer will be. It might be to stop, it might be to push on. They won't know until they sit down with what they have to make the final decision.

Or, who knows, there could be another unforseen disaster.

The real question we have now is: is the "soon" in PCGamer Valve's soon or some more strict sense of "soon." :)

Joeyslucky22 said:

my bad... i meant next week. i was looking at old news posts on other web sites, and i noticed that the HL2 magazine stuff hit on the 21st and 22nd of april. maybe we're looking at a repeat performance this year.

"Valve are toying with making the strider a driveable vehicle"

"theres going to be a great dark story hole"

"minor weapon mods within days of sdk release, full blown mods months after"

"40 million dollars" (i seriously doubt ALL that go put into hl2)

"part 2 next month
fresh screens
what its like to play
the word from Gabe"

Apos

Well put m8,Love what youve said there.

Dougy.
"40 million dollars" (i seriously doubt ALL that go put into hl2)
well thats what the man said,

What does "great dark story hole" mean? Do they mean "great dark story TWIST?" what the heck is a story hole?

Apos said:
What does "great dark story hole" mean? Do they mean "great dark story TWIST?" what the heck is a story hole?

Its when theres a big space of nothing in the story :p

So, the first part of the story was just set up to advertise the second?
That's a bit of a rip-off, IMO.
Even the driveable strider thing isn't new.

Hopefully the second part will live up to the hype.

Edit:
Maybe the "story hole" is a reference to the dynamic soundtrack Kelley Bailey was working on.
He gave an example of how he could make jumping down a dark hole sound creepier, subconciously.
:)

Mechagodzilla said:

yeah but PCzone will already probably have those new screens before next months issue... psh...

Oh well, zone will most likley be the one with the new screens first.

looking forward to the 29th :D

Mechagodzilla said:

Edit:
Maybe the "story hole" is a reference to the dynamic soundtrack Kelley Bailey was working on.
He gave an example of how he could make jumping down a dark hole sound creepier, subconciously.
:)

A lot of people (including me) are under the impression that there's another NDA. That's why PC Gamer had to split it up into "Old stuff" and "New Stuff".

The story hole was in relation too.....

For the majority of Hl2 you wont know wtf is going on.

apparently you dont remember anything from, Hl1 to Hl2.

ie... you blacked out at the end of 1 and woke up in the beginning of 2.

and i state once again "40 milloin dollars" on HL2? i dont think so.

and i state once again "40 milloin dollars" on HL2? i dont think so.

whys it a hard concept to grasp.?
the software market is a multi billion doller market.
Development costs paying wages for the past 5 years, Other projects linked to HL2 (TF2) all mounts up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back