Mass Effect - PC

Sigh, Best Buy says their shipments are still all the way in Rhode Island.

It's 12 GB for the English install, 14 GB for the European version. Presumably, the extra languages' dialogue is what takes the extra space.

VirusType2 said:
someone said Conan was greater than 30GB raz

Oh man... I just realized, that I had read what was said as gigabytes of memory... not hard drive space.

I feel so stupid. :eek:

I was thinking... 12-14 gigs of ram, wtf?

I saw Mass Effect at 2 stores a little while ago. So it's out.

On the back of the box it - from the way it was worded, it seems to still require internet connection to play.

:thumbs down:

I got mine at about 1pm today. I played it for a couple of hours, and it is probably the best port I have ever played. It runs perfectly smooth with all settings high (except AA because I don't have DX10). The new inventory is very good and easy to navigate. The loading times, especially in the citadel is much better. If you don't have it for 360, definitely get it. If you already have it, there's really no good reason to buy it though.

I got it for 360 ages ago, like months. I personally wish I hadn't spend 60 bucks on it. The graphics are nice but 95% of the game is generic optional side quests and the dialogue is an oh so simple good-neutral-bad set of choices that lead to very little complex ideas or decisions...

I got mine at about 1pm today. I played it for a couple of hours, and it is probably the best port I have ever played. It runs perfectly smooth with all settings high (except AA because I don't have DX10). The new inventory is very good and easy to navigate. The loading times, especially in the citadel is much better. If you don't have it for 360, definitely get it. If you already have it, there's really no good reason to buy it though.

Specs?

I just picked up my copy from Walmart, can't install it though not enough hd space... bought a new 100gb hd from newegg, should be getting that within the next 2 days. :)

Meh, anything can run brilliantly on a rig like that.

I'm really taking in consideration that this is a port, which often transfer poorly in terms of performance (ie R6 Vegas 1&2, Splinter Cell DA). Plus I'm running at 1680x1050. The point is, they have made significant optimizations over the 360 version.

It's odd that you say it runs so well, though, because... well, it is BioWare. They're not really known for their technical wizardry. All of the gameplay movies they've released so far have shown lots of framerate drops, too.

Well, you could take into consideration that movie recording software tends to drop your FPS a bit.

a gameplay movie runs at - what ... 24 Frames per second? so you are missing frames, and the movie capture is not in sync with the framerate of the game. So you get every second or third frame of the game on the movie, and it's not going to be consistent.

Well, you could take into consideration that movie recording software tends to drop your FPS a bit.

That's why you record a demo and then force playback at a constant framerate. It'll take much longer to render but you wind up with a video that doesn't show any lag. Then again Bioware are probably too lazy to care about making their game look decent performance wise.

a gameplay movie runs at - what ... 24 Frames per second? so you are missing frames, and the movie capture is not in sync with the framerate of the game. So you get every second or third frame of the game on the movie, and it's not going to be consistent.

Refer above.

Got the PC version. I'm not sure how staticprimer can run the thing so well with his system, considering I get plenty of framerate drops virtually everywhere. Hardly unplayable by any means, but it's not exactly a perfect 60 fps either.

Annnnd what are your specs?

For anyone playing the game could you post your specs too?

AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ overclocked to 3.2 GHz, ASUS EN8800GT overclocked to 675/1685/1900 MHz, ASUS M2NPV-VM motherboard, 2x1 GB DDR2 667 RAM, and running on Windows XP with Service Pack 3 and ForceWare 175.16 drivers.

In Mass Effect, I tend to get framerate lows of close to 20 or 30 fps; I have everything on high (very high textures) at 1024x768 save for film grain and motion blur.

That's odd. I thought the 8800GT's were supposed to be a lot better than the older 8800GTS's like mine. I'm getting 40-60 normally (no less than 40) and 25-35 around the citadel, in the 'outside' areas, with very high textures and motion blur and no OC'ing. Maybe you have a setting at the driver level enabled, like global AA or something?

Not too off-topic: is it true that Unreal Tournament 3 is a good benchmark to evaluate Mass Effect performances? (same engine and so on...)
On my mid-range machine (Intel Core2 6600 2.4 GHz, 2 GB RAM, ATI Radeon X1950 512 MB, WinXP) Unreal Tournament 3 runs very smooth, so I am positive about Mass Effect.

Can anyone say how well it would run on a Nvidia 8600 GT 256? I don't have any Unreal games to test it on.By the sound of it, it looks like it won't run well at all.

Sounds like your performance is about the same as mine, then.

I guess we have different standards of what is smooth then. As for the citadel outside, having played the 360 in which the performance was pretty awful, 25+ is pretty good I think.

My 7800gt is going to make me cry when I start playing this game. I wish I had money to get an 8800.

My 7800gt is going to make me cry when I start playing this game. I wish I had money to get an 8800.

i'm going to test my system 2moro, i hop my 7800gtx sli can run this.

btw: nvidia next gen is due in July

Yeah, but I don't feel like going out and buying more ram and coming home and opening up my computer to install it.
If I don't absolutely need it, no big deal.

ok but you seem pretty concerned about performance. i got more ram and it made a huge difference in windows and games

takes 30 minutes if you have problems.. 'getting it in the hole', 5 if you have the touch.

ok but you seem pretty concerned about performance. i got more ram and it made a huge difference in windows and games

takes 30 minutes if you have problems.. 'getting it in the hole', 5 if you have the touch.

Well, I managed to run Gears of War on medium settings with atleast 20(heavy action)-30 FPS, aside from somewhat long load times.
And I can play Rainbow Six Vegas 1 + 2 on high with no hitches, I can play the UT3 beta demo cranked without a problem.

Can that give a hint at how I might be able to play Mass Effect?

Also, I'm mainly saving up for a new processor, this shit's getting old fast... I really wanted to play Assassin's Creed, I exceed the minimum but can't even run the game cause of my processor.
It's only a 2.09ghz, so maybe I'll buy ram along with that when I scrounge up the cash.
Blew all my money on plane tickets to Las Vegas & California at the end of July for my sister's birthday.

I'm just pretending I played this one, since I've gotta make up for buying that pile of shit Jade Empire from Bioware a while ago. That way I can get Dragon Age. :p

Performance is so-so on my 7600GS, but it's very playable.

But it's crashed on me twice already, overheated my computer one time and crashed to desktop on another.
Updated my video card and that was fixed.

I'm pissed with the train station bomb defusal mission in the beginning, god damn it I hate those missions.

Can anyone say how well it would run on a Nvidia 8600 GT 256? I don't have any Unreal games to test it on.By the sound of it, it looks like it won't run well at all.

Well, I've got a BFG 8600GS Overclocked, and it runs nicely for me, dunno if that helps.

So I got my copy today and ran it on one of my rigs not busy folding.

E6600 - Stock clocks
2GB 4-4-4-12 Corsair 800mhz
Galaxy 8800GT

Runs perfectly smooth on max bloody everything. My 4ghz E8400/9800 would be overkill I think.

I'm pissed with the train station bomb defusal mission in the beginning, god damn it I hate those missions.

Huh? They give you tonnes of time to complete that one. Not to mention you have a radar thing which guides you to them.

Mine's pre-ordered (yeah I like in the UK, laugh it up) and it'll be coming on Friday to take up the last of my HD space.

And I have a pretty similar powered PC as you Kyorisu, is AA enabled and what resolution are you running?

So I got my copy today and ran it on one of my rigs not busy folding.

E6600 - Stock clocks
2GB 4-4-4-12 Corsair 800mhz
Galaxy 8800GT

Runs perfectly smooth on max bloody everything. My 4ghz E8400/9800 would be overkill I think.

Huh? They give you tonnes of time to complete that one. Not to mention you have a radar thing which guides you to them.

Well, I got to one of little flags on the radar, I was right on top of it...
The bomb was no where to be seen, and guess what... It was right below me.
Now since you can't do a simple jump over the railing you have to go all the **** around to a ramp to get there!
It ended up blowing up as soon as I got there.

But luckily I managed to defuse them all on my second run.
Progressed pretty far after that.
Great game, except for the shitty save system.
Having to rely on the scarce autosave, quicksave's broken... and the save option in the menu is greyed out.
What the ****? :frown:

You can't save during combat or when there are enemies around. However, I've heard of a couple of people that have problems saving even out of combat, so there might be a bug that needs fixing.

I'm actually waiting on a patch to finish the game. I love it, but there's bugs that stop some later side-quests from finishing properly, and I feel slightly cheated that the "free DLC at launch" has yet to come out.

Yeah, I'm trying to save and there's no enemies around... I'm just looking for a bar with that bounty hunter frog guy.

I started playing this today and am having a kick with it. I can play it with every single shit maxed out, and it blows my mind every time. No glitches for me so far

I went against what I said and bought it yesterday. :p I know, I know... but it was on sale!

I don't have any problems saving or anything... 1680x1050 resolution runs good... playing as a Vanguard and I'm really liking it so far! Combat is the only thing that's kinda on the iffy side... seems way too easy to die, and some of the hardest battles have unskippable cutscenes right before them so that's a bit bunk. I'm running around in hot pink armor right now too... with a red shotgun.

Probably the best thing I can say about it is that all of your crew are actually LIKABLE! It's ****ing amazing to actually play an RPG with likable characters! Not since the infinity engine days has this happened! :LOL: I'm actually not forced to play as a complete bastard!

Well, I got to one of little flags on the radar, I was right on top of it...
The bomb was no where to be seen, and guess what... It was right below me.
Now since you can't do a simple jump over the railing you have to go all the **** around to a ramp to get there!
It ended up blowing up as soon as I got there.

But luckily I managed to defuse them all on my second run.
Progressed pretty far after that.
Great game, except for the shitty save system.
Having to rely on the scarce autosave, quicksave's broken... and the save option in the menu is greyed out.
What the ****? :frown:

*cough*crack*cough*

Actually for legitimate versinos the savegame is greyed out if your C:/My Documents folder is elsewhere than... well... C. The game is hard-wired to the C drive so if your My Documents folder isn't there, saving buggers up. If that's the problem you're having, there's a solution elsewhere on the interwebs.

If you're having the OTHER save problem (and you'll know, because the Galaxy Map will bugger up when you get to it), well... we can't talk about it. Not, you know. Not in the open.

*cough* *cough*

/EDIT In other news I did a marthon 6 hour session yesterday and it was TOTALLY WORTH IT

God I'm screwed for my english exam today. :3

Back