Mass Effect - PC

The galaxy map works fine. :|
Auto saving works fine, I can load up the saves just fine...
I just can't quicksave or anything.

Meh, I posted on Bioware forums and apparently it's a widespread bug.

So far I've found the game to be enjoyable, but to me the texture resolution seems a bit dated by today's standards, even at 1600x1200 and ultra-high texture quality. The self shadowing is also very poor, and I wish I could disable it without turning off dynamic shadows in general.

MEtexture.jpg

MEtexture2.jpg

(not replying to sea)

I thought it looked like shit on the box even

it looked extremely good back in the early screenshots before it came out on the 360.

I've never seen the game in real life though, but just comparing the above to what I remember

The self-shadowing can be improved with some INI tweaks; try finding the min/max shadow resolution in BIOengine.ini and doubling them to 64 and 1024.

As for the textures, I know that there's at least one bug in the game that stops the high-resolution texture being used up close for a character's face (Garrus), and they did improve some of the face textures for more important characters, but you're definitely right when you say that some of the others look dated. If BioWare doesn't do anything (and I doubt they will; they seem slow on even providing official responses to technical problems and patch requests), then I won't be surprised if the mod community comes up with some better textures for the game.

Oh, and the film grain and motion blur effects do at least do a decent job of hiding some of the pixelated shadows and lower-res textures. :p

I didn't even think of tweaking the .ini yet, but I'll get right on it. As for film grain, I tried it for a couple minutes, but I couldn't stand it. We'll see how the tweaking does.

The only thing i've seen about the game was a couple screenshots. That purple alien girl on a ship, and a couple other NPC's. Looked pretty awesome. not crysis or anything, but yea

DAMNIT!!!!! WHY DID I HAVE TO CHOOSE!!!!

/cries

Earlier parts of the game, I was able to save perfectly fine, but when i got out of the offroading car, into a snowy lab, I couldnt save the entire freaking time. There wasnt a single auto save either. I died, and lost about 2 hours of progress. WTF?

Also, the enemies are ridiculous! For some reason, most enemies I encounter kill me within 2-3 shots, along with my teamates. WTF?

Pirate?

The saving doesnt work in a cracked version. But there are times where you cant save because you're considered in a fire fight. Usually they're broken up enough though that you can save, and it should have autosaved at some point.

You need to learn what the weapons do. Snipers and rocket dudes can kill you in one hit. I'd suggest getting shield upgrades for your armor, it will give you some time to get out of the fire.

Pirate?

The saving doesnt work in a cracked version. But there are times where you cant save because you're considered in a fire fight. Usually they're broken up enough though that you can save, and it should have autosaved at some point.

You need to learn what the weapons do. Snipers and rocket dudes can kill you in one hit. I'd suggest getting shield upgrades for your armor, it will give you some time to get out of the fire.

Well, i wasnt able to save for a entire section of the game until I eventually died, and was set back ridiculously far. Also, Its not just snipers and rockets, most enemy i encounter can take me down in a few hits. What gives?

Actually, I will be more specific when I cant save. Im in the offroad car, there is a huge facility door, if I get close, save option gets grayed out, anytime before I get close to it, I can save perfectly fine. It sayed greyed out for ever.

Pirate?

The pirate version has been fixed now, how do you think I can play when I'm in the UK and it is not Friday yet?

Looking around in the forums, I noticed several others have save issues, not like mine, but none the less, an issue saving.

Mine seems like past a certain point in the game, I cannot save no matter the conditions.

By the way, I would definitely recommend forcing 2x AF through your video card's control panel if you don't take too big of an FPS hit. It really help clear up the distant blurry textures:

No AF:

ME1.jpg

2x AF:

ME2.jpg

*cough*crack*cough*

If you're having the OTHER save problem (and you'll know, because the Galaxy Map will bugger up when you get to it), well... we can't talk about it. Not, you know. Not in the open.

*cough* *cough*

Oh you mean the nuked cracks that are shit and made by idiots without a clue? "Yeah we'll just bypass the online check and not bother having a look at all those other securom entries. Surely they can't do any harm let intact? Right?"

However the save fix crack combined with the contribution from gniarf we're all good. I'd rather not use my activations :)

Why only 2x AF? Crank it up to 8 or 16! AF barely hits performance on most modern cards.

I'm doing all the side quests before finishing the third planet storyline.

The pirate version has been fixed now, how do you think I can play when I'm in the UK and it is not Friday yet?

I'm in the UK and have already bought it, most retailers are selling it already.
Can some one say at what resolution should i set the shadows at?, i'm playing at 1280*1024 and the self shadowing looks really ugly.

Oh you mean the nuked cracks that are shit and made by idiots without a clue? "Yeah we'll just bypass the online check and not bother having a look at all those other securom entries. Surely they can't do any harm let intact? Right?"

However the save fix crack combined with the contribution from gniarf we're all good. I'd rather not use my activations :)

There is another crack now, which enables saves anf fixes the GM, which does not have all the AI breaking code workarounds of the Gniarf workaround as it only changes one code entry :p

I'm in the UK and have already bought it, most retailers are selling it already.
Can some one say at what resolution should i set the shadows at?, i'm playing at 1280*1024 and the self shadowing looks really ugly.

Shadow Fix:-

1. Open "bioengine.ini".
2. Find these values and set them to:
MinShadowResolution=64
MaxShadowResolution=1024
3. Save .ini .

It should be noted that it isn't really a "fix" per se; rather, you're just increasing the shadow resolution. Theoretically you can increase it even higher, but that would degrade performance further. It doesn't actually change the way the game draws its shadows or anything.

I'm aware of that, but it's that or nothing :rolleyes:

Can't you wait a week?

No. :p

Stemot is a pirate. Theres been a couple other games where he admits to it also. :p

Me too :D

Well not tomorrow, but as soon as I get my paycheck.

Did I pirate the game ? Yes 100%

Did I enjoy the game ? Yes 1000^36 %

Buy the game tomorrow ? Yes 100% its ****ing woth 35 pounds

see ya.

So far, I spent roughly 4ish hours on the game, and so far, I am disappointed with my two different class choices ive made. I created a soldier, too much run and gun, not enough biotic and tech action. I created a Infiltrator, which I found has very low practical uses with sniper this far into the game, im not too sure in later game tho. I am thinking of making a mixed combat and biotic or tech class.

Unfortunatly ME is going to be released here in Portugal on 20th June (seems like for EA we are not Europe) so... 2 more weeks waiting... :frown: its very tempting to pirate it, but i like Bioware and they deserve my money.

The Biotic/Soldier class (Vangaurd?) works well for me, but I'm playing on absolute easy difficulty.

It is getting extremely repetative already, but I'm glad the main missions are crafted so well.

Still, I don't see this lasting more than a week. : /

I'll still probably end up buying it whenever the **** it comes out here. God damn Australia.

You know what I want to see? Bioware doing Fallout. Now that would be rad.

Unfortunatly ME is going to be released here in Portugal on 20th June (seems like for EA we are not Europe) so... 2 more weeks waiting... its very tempting to pirate it, but i like Bioware and they deserve my money

holy shit another portuguese dude, shouldnt you be watching metallica right now? ;)

I've pirated the game, yes

I'm enjoying the game very much, yes

No, I'm not buying it. There are things that deserve 50 euros more than a game,such has a whore, for example

ktkzbye

edit - will I buy it once it hits a budget price? maybe

oh and yes, I implied that whores are "things"

I guarantee you that in the next two weeks you will spend 50 bucks on something not as worthy as this game.

My mom is valueless.

Wait, I MEANT PRICELESS.

You know what I want to see? Obsidian doing Fallout. Now that would be rad.

Fixed.

Bioware isn't a proper developer for Fallout, what with "modernising" their games and everything.

Fallout was NEVER intented to go with the flow.

Warning: on Bioware forums there's a talking about a known issue with ATI Radeon X1900 and X1600 series (weird pixelated background). It's not quite clear if the thing can be fixed by Bioware with a patch or by ATI with a driver update.
My card is a X1950 so I am not buying at this moment.

Fixed.

Bioware isn't a proper developer for Fallout, what with "modernising" their games and everything.

Fallout was NEVER intented to go with the flow.

Of course my ultimate dream would be Troika doing anything, up to and including Fallout, but... man.

Damnit Troika, why you die. : (

Damnit Troika, why you die. : (

Blame Activision and their suicidal idea to release VTM:B on the same day as Halflife 2. If they'd waited a month they could of capitalised on the positive buzz surrounding the Source engine the numpties....

Back