Mass Effect - PC

Finished it.

Not as impressed as I thought I would be.

It's very... it's very... it's very Bioware.

God damn those cinamatics are cool though.

I guarantee you that in the next two weeks you will spend 50 bucks on something not as worthy as this game.

Well, I won't for the simple reason that I have somewhat big plans for my summer vacations, and that is worth more than a game

We i'm really enjoying this, but i hear Kotor is better. Would anyone here recommend getting it?

KOTOR is only better due to it having the Star Wars license to go with it, I think technically, this game is better.

Well I'm enjoying Mass Effect. Combat is a bit meh at times but I'm getting there gradually (the squad orders are a bit pants imho). The core gameplay isn't dramatically different than what we've seen before with KoToR and JE, but the game does look glorious, and the story if B movie is kind of interesting.

The squad control is shit, tbh.
They're too dumb to follow the orders half the time.

The squad control is shit, tbh.
They're too dumb to follow the orders half the time.

This. They really piss me off sometimes.

"Dammit, Kaiden get into cover!"

Furiously points and smashes the up arrow.

*Kaiden dies from standing in the open*

It's happened so many times. They hate getting to cover, because one of your squadmates will get into the cover, and the other won't go right next to them, but tries to go to that same point, which is occupied by the other member.

I hope they improve upon that in ME2.

Honestly I dislike squad based combat in any game. I never use it when given the option. In this game I just leave them be. Seems to work fine enough.

I thought the PC version was supposed to remedy the squad commands so that each squadmate was controlled seperately, instead of both at the same time.

haha, I always leave them behind, take care of things, then let them follow me.

Yeah, leave them to it. There AI are to stupid to understand your commands, and i find it worse than not telling them to do anything.

I'm thinking of buying this game upon recommendating from a friend, but my question is this: are the graphics significantly better on PC than they are on Xbox?

I occasionally have AI fustration issues, but for the most part they seem to mow down the enemy fairly quickly and of their own accord.

I stopped playing. It doesn't seem worth it anymore.

how far are you jintor?

I beat the 360 version, I want to play it again I just can't seem to will myself to start all over again (even with the same character)

Finished it.

Kinda sucked.

The Codec information and Wrex were the best bits of the game imho.

Been playing it all weekend and I absolutely love it. 12 hours in and so far it's one of the finest RPGs I've played with sublime presentation from graphics to sound and seemingly unending depth. It's such a refreshing change to have such stellar voice work too; even minor characters feel real and fleshed-out. The combat does feel a bit clunky if you're used to games such as Gears of War, but the biotic powers make it great fun once you're used to implementing them.

I really don't know why so many seem to have such an issue with this game. I want to know what RPG they're playing that makes them so critical of Mass Effect.

Edit @ Sulkdodds: The graphics are a fair bit better if you're playing on high resolution, but there is no change in the textures. The main improvements come in totally smooth performance (I play on an 8800GT, but I know someone with an 8600 who still enjoys playable framerates) with minuscule load times and obviously the mouse and keyboard control. Mako use is far less frustrating than on the 360 and the ability to order your squad members individually is a real help.

I'm honestly very disappointed with it.

The inventory system is confusing as ****, combat is boring as ****, squad commands are pointless as ****.

But, the voice work is fantastic, I love the music and the story is fascinating.

I don't see how the inventory can confuse you. It's really, really basic compared to every other RPG I've played.

It took me 15 minutes to actually figure out how to use attachments and upgrades and all that.

I like it when my inventory is a lot more visual, like KOTOR's.

how far are you jintor?

I beat the 360 version, I want to play it again I just can't seem to will myself to start all over again (even with the same character)

He said he finished it a few posts ago.

I havent had any squad AI problems. Every once in awhile they wont move somewhere, but I just move my cursor a little and re-issue the command and they go.

I have a feeling I'm pretty damn close to the end. I wish it wasn't the end since I'm really enjoying it, though.

Inventory isn't confusing (good stuff at the top worse stuff below... pretty simple) but it is pretty clunky when it comes to the item limit and turning crap into gel.

Combat is pretty "eh" still to me... my guy is a ****ing monster so it can be fun but I still feel you and your party can die too easily sometimes. Rockets and sniper shots are 1-hit KOs so whenever I get hit by one it's a guaranteed swearword shitstorm. Enemies seem to have too much HP too... they can just run up to you like an idiot with you and your squad firing the whole time at them and actually make it up to you to start rifle butting and shit.

Squad commands are indeed useless... I haven't told my guys to do -anything- since the tutorial. They're still helpful but commanding them is... why break up the action? If they die, I just mop up and MAGIC they're alive again! Yay! The cover system is also totally pointless... yeah I wanna glue myself behind something instead of just strafing in and out on my own like in any other shooter and actually be mobile!

I get the feeling lots of the dialogue "choices" aren't really choices at all, but I still mainly look forward to the roleplaying sections. Like I said my guy is a monster, though, so combat's still fun. :p I'm playing as a Vanguard and shit... is this the easy mode class or what? I can do it all! Shield myself, throw dudes around, smack 'em with my gun, weaken their defenses, lift 'em off the ground, exploding shots, reset my cooldowns with adren rush... and shotguns aren't even THAT close-range... I even have intimidate maxed for conversation for ****'s sake.

How's everyone handle their squad selections? Me, I always use the same two... Liara and Garrus. They're my homies. Everyone else has GOT to be bored! :p

(edit: Oh, and I gotta say they did a good job with visual style/feel... the kinda shaky follow cam + film grain is pretty neat. Like playing a movie. )

True, I love the shakey follow cam, film grain effect... it does feel very movie-like.

What bugs me is probably the generic nature of the enemis and the horribly B-Grade storyline. And the ridiculously. Repetative. Side-quests.

I dunno, it's missing something that KOTOR had while adding a lot of Hollywood-ish improvements. I don't know, I enjoyed this the first day I played it, enjoyed it the second day I played it, by the third day I was kinda meh about it.

Yeah, I was near the end! Just finished! :LOL:

Ending was balls... the concept of the story isn't baaaaad, but the mission structure and its presentation is kinda ****ed up. Its like they had to try way too hard to come up with stuff for Shepard to do between the beginning and the (borked) end.

I only did Citadel sidequests and one space one just because Garrus asked so those didn't really bother me. :p

I wanted to see if the sidequests were any good. THEY WEREN'T.

The Sadistic Choice was good, even if I recognized it for what it was from about 5 miles away.

How's everyone handle their squad selections? Me, I always use the same two... Liara and Garrus. They're my homies. Everyone else has GOT to be bored! :p

Liara and Ashley :naughty:

Rofl, Krynn.

I use Wrex and Tali. They have mad skills.

I normally use garrus and the human dude, starting with k. I cant remember his name. So far, Ive reached lvl 33ish? and the game became a instant and ridiculous cake walk.

I like the Quarians and the Krogan, but the "Big Three" Races kinda sucked. You had the Big Warrior Race guys, the Hyperactive Intelligence Agency guys, and the Psychic Space-Babes. Yaaaaaaaay.

/EDIT Btw, I discovered that the guy who voiced Kaidan ALSO voice Carth Onasi in KOTOR I and II. Woo, I knew his voice sounded familiar.

Also, Anderson = Arbiter.

I knew that was Carth the second I heard Kaidan speak. I even refered to him as Carth on accident when I was talking about the game to a friend. Even their characters were alike.

Very true, but I didn't know they had the same voice actors.

Yeah, leave them to it. There AI are to stupid to understand your commands, and i find it worse than not telling them to do anything.

Where are the times when RPGs put you in direct control of your whole party? :-(

Don't forget Jennifer Hale, together with cam clarke one of the best in the field of voice acting.

Don't forget Jennifer Hale, together with cam clarke one of the best in the field of voice acting.
Jennifer Hale voices female Shep. She's the main reason that i'm choosing a woman Shephard in my first play. She was fantastic in KOTOR as Bastila.

Rofl.

But Wrex has those kick-ass biotic abilities.

Tali's shield neutralizer is super-helpful later in the game. Well, Ok, it's only really useful against Saren. Then I shot him with my shotgun over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over...

Been playing for about 2 hours and im very impressed. I love the conversations, i was planning on being a ruthless bitch, but i guess im to nice of a person to do that.

TBH, I pretty much always play the nice guy. But in ME I've been playing a good deal
renegade. The thing is, in previous games, you had to chose between being evil and
good. In ME, it's often between being a vagina and saying it like it is.

I wish that renegade and paragon were not linked to how much points you could spend
on charm or intimidate. A couple of times I've said what i wanted to say, then reloaded
to chose the path which wouldn't **** me over in the skill tree, which is a shame.

I've still mostly played nice simply because I would more often feel bad if i was not able
to resolve an issue by charm, then intimidate. But to be able to get that high in charm i
was forced to concede in other cases, which mattered a little less. It's choice I which I
wish I did not have to make.

Back