NEW HighQuality CS:Source Pics & Jess Cliffe Interview

The quote is a little fuzzy. It can read two different ways..

HL2 will come with CS:S. Right now, we do not plan to include any other multiplayer games.

Meaning HL2 will be HL2 for SP, and CS:S for multiplayer.

OR

HL2 will include HL2 MP. And CS:S. No other multiplayer "games."

Someone find out! The question was worded crappily!

i assume they mean, that it will include hl2 sp, hl2 mp, cs: s, but you'll have to download TFC: s, DOD: s, etc.. it makes sense considering cs is the most played mod.

ill be saddened if they dont at least add hair to the player arms.

what kind of respected terrorist (or CT for that matter) would wax their freaking arms

guise said:
ill be saddened if they dont at least add hair to the player arms.

what kind of respected terrorist (or CT for that matter) would wax their freaking arms

Well the ugly, hairy, mask wearing terrorists are always the first ones to die..

If Valve didn't have any proper HL2 themed multiplayer at all, it would be the stupidest mistake they could make

^^^^^^^^^

Agree... I mean, i want people basing their mods off of HL2DM, not CS:S. People should get HL2, play some HL2DM, get some cool ideas, make upgrades of HL2DM, then evolve into a completely new mod progressively. I don't want a million people that ONLY LIKE CS to be the only people making mods because they were thrown off my not having HL2DM.

I still think they will include HL2DM tho.

EDIT: Imagine what it would do to their review scores... reviewers will lower the rating because Valve skipped out on HL2DM and rushed an unfinished game out the door.

"The final version of Counter-Strike: Source will ship alongside Half-Life 2, which is slated to be released this Fall." --> a quote from the csnation article.. what's that suppose to mean?!

Hmmm, purchasing CS:CZ looks like a plan now, just for CS:S beta

Do you guys have reading comprehension problems?
"Half-Life 2 will come with CS: Source. Right now, we do not plan to include any other multiplayer games with Half-Life 2."
It would take an incredible level of blind denial to interpret that statement as "we also may include another multiplayer game". Asking Rizzuh to clarify that is pretty funny. Tell me, how exactly could you word it that would be more clear? If Valve issued a press release it would have to look like this:

"DOD will not be included with HL2. TF2 will not be included with HL2. TF will not be included with HL2. HLDM will not be included with HL2. Ricochet will not be included with HL2. No 3rd party mods will be included with HL2. Captain Winky And His Jubilant Men will not be included with HL2. All other imaginary products will not be included with HL2. A can of pineapple juice will not be included with HL2."

Even then people here would be convinced that they actually meant to say HL2 will come with a dog and an inflateable couch.

er, dscowboy, so are you saying you believe HL2 will come with HL2DM, or it WON'T come with HL2DM?

Re-read the question and the answer.. it's fuzzy. They could've meant "seperate games," as opposed to rewording "multiplayer modes."

Shuzer said:
er, dscowboy, so are you saying you believe HL2 will come with HL2DM, or it WON'T come with HL2DM?

Re-read the question and the answer.. it's fuzzy. They could've meant "seperate games," as opposed to rewording "multiplayer modes."

I second this, I cant tell what the hell your trying to say through all the sarcasm :(

I think the problem is that people aren't asking about other mods, they're asking if HL2 has it's own simple deathmatch, and because he said there will be no multipayer GAMES included, that still leaves there being a multiplayer in HL2 as well.

Although I think they'd probably have told us by now if this was the case, at least nothing they'd like to big up.

But then it would take precisely 0 effort to just let us run our own HL2 server and people could all join in a single player map, so I think that will happen. Valve maybe just don't want to call that a multiplayer..

Ok, I'll say it more simply. Cliffe said

"Right now, we do not plan to include any other multiplayer games with Half-Life 2."

It would be pretty nuts to assume that he meant

"Right now, we do not plan to include any other multiplayer games with Half-Life 2. (except of course for the mutliplayer game that's ALREADY included with Half-Life 2)"

Well that would be exactly what he meant because the HL2 multiplayer wouldn't come in the category of other :p

I think we can safely assume that if HL2DM actually existed, it would fall under the category of 'multiplayer game' which cliffe explicity denied would ship with HL2.

I'm not saying that that's not true, I just think that the words are open for interpretation.

I really don't understand why they wouldn't make a HL2DM, though , it'd be so easy it's insane....

Abom said:
Nice shots, but they've messed the glock up. The shell ejection port should be on the other side of the gun, to prevent casings from being ejected in front of the user. Don't quite know why they've done it like that.

it goes back to the origional cs release. since gooseman is a lefty he made everything left handed. In doing so he mutilated the guns and put certain parts on the wrong side of the gun so you could see everything from a lefty view. when they added the right handed side they just mirrored everything. SO: before right handed models- ejection port was correct, but slide lock lever and mag release were on wrong side. Right Handed: levers and buttons on correct side but the ejection port is now on the wrong side. And I can't figure out for the life of me why they have never bothered to officially remodel them to do the correct thing.

same thing goes for all the guns, not just pistols.

Crusader said:
I'm not saying that that's not true, I just think that the words are open for interpretation.

I really don't understand why they wouldn't make a HL2DM, though , it'd be so easy it's insane....

I don't think Valve is really into deathmatch anymore, since CS changed the whole online action genre. You're right, it would be easy to make... which is why there will be a dozen HL2 DM-mods a week after release.

I'm sure Valve believes that if they make a product they should put some time and quality into it. But they're already a year late, and they won't even be done with the TF and DOD ports by release time apparently. Not to mention TF2. I think they have enough on their plate already without making a whole other multiplayer game.

Though I would like to see something inventive done with a team-based manipulator-filled MP game, I think it's pretty clear now that Valve won't be making one.

I'm pretty glad it's on the wrong side actually, it looks more interesting ^^

CS:S is looking great! Everything that's displayed in those screens look excellent.
I still can't wait to see if we can nail frag grenades out of the air.

About the MP stuff, everyone look at their versions of the HL2 E3 demos and check for something. I believe it was the second presentation in the video that started with Gabe saying something to the effect of "As the intro's were the same, we'll skip ahead a little." While he was doing this, the most current HL2 menu was on the screen (it overlooked the rooftops of C17). I'm not sure if anyone's copy will be clear enough, but check to see if there is a "Multiplayer" option in the menu. I ask because even if CS:S is HL2's MP, I doubt they'd link to it directly through HL2's menu.

hype.db said:
CS:S is looking great! Everything that's displayed in those screens look excellent.
I still can't wait to see if we can nail frag grenades out of the air.

About the MP stuff, everyone look at their versions of the HL2 E3 demos and check for something. I believe it was the second presentation in the video that started with Gabe saying something to the effect of "As the intro's were the same, we'll skip ahead a little." While he was doing this, the most current HL2 menu was on the screen (it overlooked the rooftops of C17). I'm not sure if anyone's copy will be clear enough, but check to see if there is a "Multiplayer" option in the menu. I ask because even if CS:S is HL2's MP, I doubt they'd link to it directly through HL2's menu.

Here you go, a screencap..

New Game
Load Game
Options
Quit

not looking good :x

Attachments

• hl2menu.JPG
    hl2menu.JPG
    17.5 KB · Views: 352
Shuzer said:

New Game
Load Game
Options
Quit

not looking good :x
Ack, well.. there's a little more confirmation. Still can't be certain.

I'm in denial.

Sparta said:
Indeed they would. I never thought of that. Plus they go out of HL2 to load CS:S.

Seriously Sparta, I couldn't care less about HL2's MP. It would be some stupid deathmatch anyway, and I highly doubted that after 6 years of FPS gaming we would want yet another deathmatch - and I highly doubted we'd have maps with so many physically stimulated objects and the manipulator gun. That doesn't mean that the prospect of having cs:s as HL2's MP is actually amazing, but after seeing the new screens I can imagine that it would be at the very least promising.

I had told you guys there wouldn't be a HL2 MP, and you came out with silly "one deathmatch map from the beta" and "console commands in beta" excuses. It's now right in front of everyone : There.Will.Be.No.HL2.MP.Period.

dude.. the source is a powerful tool.. valve is a talented team and i am pretty sure that if an HL 2 MP exists its gonna be waaay cooler than just a run and gun death match..

it might be as good as the splintercell online style stuff. that was awsome..
it would be cool if they tried 3rd pov vs fps in the source..

After 5 years of playing CS, i don't want to play an updated version of it instead of HL2 multiplayer. I at least want to be given the choice of playing a multiplayer portion of HL2 that is themed in the HL2 universe. I don't want to wait for a mod of it to come out

Sparta said:
After 5 years of playing CS, i don't want to play an updated version of it instead of HL2 multiplayer. I at least want to be given the choice of playing a multiplayer portion of HL2 that is themed in the HL2 universe. I don't want to wait for a mod of it to come out

I have the same thoughts, but if valve is smart enough to add more modes in cs, we might have more variety. I too, was hoping for HL2's proper MP - but I will let my judgement wait untill I play cs:s.

CS:S is something I want to play, but I think it's horribly dumb to have it as the HL2 MP. It's simply jarring. One minute I'm killing aliens and Combine with a buggy, but when I load up the MP, I'm fighting terrorists with a Colt? WTF? Where the hell is the consistency?

I'd prefer to have something with the HL2 theme. Something that, y'know, makes sense. I wasn't even thinking of DM. I was hoping that the MP would have been something team-based, expansive, and with vehicles. Something to raise the bar. Instead, I'm getting Counter-Strike with new gfx. Don't get me wrong, it looks good. But I expected more.

I really don't want to look like a dick and call Valve lazy, but it sorta looks that way to me. Instead of putting more effort into consistency and quality, they just threw in whatever they knew would pe popular.

Absinthe said:
CS:S is something I want to play, but I think it's horribly dumb to have it as the HL2 MP. It's simply jarring. One minute I'm killing aliens and Combine with a buggy, but when I load up the MP, I'm fighting terrorists with a Colt? WTF? Where the hell is the consistency?

I'd prefer to have something with the HL2 theme. Something that, y'know, makes sense. I wasn't even thinking of DM. I was hoping that the MP would have been something team-based, expansive, and with vehicles. Something to raise the bar. Instead, I'm getting Counter-Strike with new gfx. Don't get me wrong, it looks good. But I expected more.

I really don't want to look like a dick and call Valve lazy, but it sorta looks that way to me. Instead of putting more effort into consistency and quality, they just threw in whatever they knew would pe popular.

Thats exactly my view on it. And thats exactly what i had in mind for HL2 MP

Absinthe said:

I agree as well.

But what the hell if it pans out to be that there is no "real" HL2 MP, then i hope there'll be some public betas soon after release :)

New Game
Load Game
Options
Quit

I know it's a crime around here to even think about the stolen build, but there may or may not be 2 extra options in the menu.

Back