Possible IGN story 12am PST...

this does make me feel a little better than those crap shots we saw a while ago that looked like they were from a leak of hl2.

but this isnt real new info, other than the fact that we will probally get a specific date on the release of HL2 @ e3.

ok im going to sleep ;) nite guys

There is also a new video interview with doug lombardi for ign insiders.

What's the video interview say? Anyone wanna write a transcript or summary?

Neutrino said:
That was incredibly stupid.

"Believe it or not, Half-Life 2 will actually come out -- and it may be sooner than you think."

and then

"that it would be, simply, 'this summer.'"

To paraphrase: Half-Life 2 will actual come out and it will be sooner than you think because we were told it will be released "this summer", which we've been hearing all along.

What the hell? That was just dumb.
As if everyone is a hl² fan, they have to type for people who just heard of halflife2 or else you will get annoying questions from readers about what the hell they are talking about.

Once im done downloading it I will watch it and see if there is anything new or interesting.

This is all new info to me. Unfortunately I wasn't blessed with the mag info or screens, so all of this is brand new, and it feels damn reassuring.

The way this guy describes what it was like for him to play really makes this game stand up to what I had imagined it would be in my mind. God I can't wait, this marketing is working like a charm on me. BTW can I borrow someone's pants?

Man i can't wait until E3, hopefully then we'll FINALLY get to see/hear what the AI is like

please, holy one , I beg of you to use your wonderful impressions to make a better game

Varsity said:
Not as good as the very first ones, no. Doesn't matter, we know what the engine is capable of.
I find this screenshot alot more impressive :) cool antlion texture (unfortionatly they changed it to the blanco version with minimal body patterns)

and @ vergio, Obviously you know the precise build and date when this screenshot was taken so you offcourse know that this hasnt been changed to something more impressive :rolleyes:

Sergio said:
What the hell is this: http://pcmedia.ign.com/pc/image/article/512/512580/half-life-2-200405081121328.jpg

Look at the building to the right, are we not past the days where large detailed buildings are just a box with a brick/window texture? Look at the buildings in the background, and the lighting on the Combine. None of the other ones were any better. Is this what hl2 looks like?

Not impressed.

i just noticed that screen shot, yeah the background does look fugly. hopefully thats just something that wont appear in the final lol.

Just FYI--Any IGN insider members...there is a pre-E3 video interview with Doug Lombardi...

I would suggest signing up for the founders club + insider[fileplanet/gamespy/ign]...only 10 bucks a month...worth it in my opinion.

Originally Posted by Sergio
What the hell is this: http://pcmedia.ign.com/pc/image/art...05081121328.jpg

Look at the building to the right, are we not past the days where large detailed buildings are just a box with a brick/window texture? Look at the buildings in the background, and the lighting on the Combine. None of the other ones were any better. Is this what hl2 looks like?

Not impressed.

Did you not see the strider video? When the Strider shoots the windows, the glass shatters and everything is realistic.

Not impressed? Hmm so many points to make, which one should I pick? Maybe I'll pick one later.

Look, I don't mean to offend anyone here, but this is just plain ugly.

http://pcmedia.ign.com/pc/image/article/512/512580/half-life-2-200405081121500.jpg

These graphics are horrible. Look at the pic above. The models are horrible and floating, the shadows are unimpressive, the lighting is aweful. Every aspect of that shot is simply fugly.

And all the rest are the same.

I hope Valve delays another few months and gets this game looking decent. How can we go from FarCry to this? Pfft.

they tore out the F and the U but i heard you couldnt tear out the other letter o_O

You're right about the zoombie screen, but IMO the rest of them are great.

Sergio said:

http://pcmedia.ign.com/pc/image/article/512/512580/half-life-2-200405081121500.jpg

These graphics are horrible. Look at the pic above. The models are horrible and floating, the shadows are unimpressive, the lighting is aweful. Every aspect of that shot is simply fugly.

I hope Valve delays another few months and gets this game looking decent. How can we go from FarCry to this? Pfft.

@ vergio, Obviously you know the precise build and date when this screenshot was taken so you offcourse know that this hasnt been changed to something more impressive
:rolleyes:

Polykarbon said:
Just FYI--Any IGN insider members...there is a pre-E3 video interview with Doug Lombardi...

hey how about this...check out page 9 ;)
ek0st0ns said:
There is also a new video interview with doug lombardi for ign insiders.

Sergio said:

i can tell how that mid action screen shot wouldn't be able to compare to a functioning game that is running on your own computer, your analysis is totally valid and not the droolings of some ill educated band wagon member, please stop, it's hurting

Not impressed? Hmm so many points to make, which one should I pick? Maybe I'll pick one later.

You can tell that event was scripted. Look at the windows before they were shot out, they look different than the rest. Why? Because they were set up to be shot out. Why else does the strider shoot the whole side of the building hitting only those windows and then hits the car to blow it up? Because he was scripted to do that, it's obvious.

ValVed RaY said:
they tore out the F and the U but i heard you couldnt tear out the other letter o_O
hey, mister pessimistic is back :)

Sergio said:

:lol: Sure you looked at the other pictures? I will go find a bad picture of an otherwise impressive game like say Max Payne 2 , then Im going to declare the whole game is ugly. Better yet if I had a game from an old build of Max Payne 2 , BRILLIANT.

Oh and PS- The glass breaks brilliantly.

Yes, there are scripted sequences that actors will carry out at a logical time. It doesn't mean the city will still be entirely flat buildings with bump-mapped window ledges, though.

The strider aims straight, then aims down, thus hitting the windows in the process.
Even if it was/is scripted (could be) it still demonstrates an effect of the Source engine. If you look through the Valve Info thread one of the Valve guys says that this effect (shooting out windows) is a capablity of the source engine. It would've only been scripted to show off that effect

The game isn't complete, obviously Valve wouldn't release a game with FLOATING zombies and charactors that are like that. IMO the textures look good, the lighting is good, shadows aren't casted from the lens flare (but so what? they are still casted from the other lightsource and dynamically). I think your standards are just a tad too high. Maybe mine are too low. Whatever it is, when HL2 is released I will bet $50 you won't call it fugly :)

how are these screenshots an old build, i think you cant just accept the fact that half life 2 doesnt look that great anymore.

I'm not here to offend, but I don't see how anyone in their right mind would be anything but disgusted by those new screens. They lack anything that makes a game look good these days. They don't only not look good, they look ugly as shit on a stick.

If the game looked like the HDRI techdemo vid, then it would be fine. but even Doug said in an email that the game wasn't really meant to look like that, it was just a technology demo to show off what could be done with directx9 features. These new screens are a much more accurate representation of what the game will look like because they are shots from the game, rather than a pure tech demo that wasn't meant to represent the game(the HDRI vid).

The physics/interactivity sound awesome, I just wish the graphics would atleast be up to par with last years games. So far it doesn't look like they will be.

On a side note, I'm sure they could have come up with a better name than "rollermines", that makes me cringe.

Oh and sorry I didnt see it before , but Im pretty sure Sergio is a gimmick. Valved Ray is close.

ValVed RaY said:
how are these screenshots an old build, i think you cant just accept the fact that half life 2 doesnt look that great anymore.

Who said anything at all about an old build?

@ valved ray - I dont know .. nobody knows, so to base the quality of the graphics of this game on some screenshots that could be from an old build is pretty stupid imo

EDIT: next time i'l use quote tags

ValVed RaY said:

You can never make anyone's opinion change. And you can never say someone is a moron because of their opinion. Otherwise you'll look like a total fool. (Just to clear it up, you didn't say he was a fool but im just saying that if you/anyone did, that's what would happen)

Back