preload at 6pm gabe newell

Status
Not open for further replies.
I really dont see what the big deal is with this pre-load they way people are going on you think this was the actual release. the only thing this signifies for me is that the game is surely gold now....

Plus i dont think id bother purchaseing a game of steam anyways last time i checked they were highly overpriced anyway pre-load might be worth it if you can check out the files...

Basically, you not going to play HL2 today or 2morrow, you are going to wait another MONTH/S

Dr. Freeman said:
clarky, just take things with a grain of salt man.. i mean a pre-load is all nice and dandy and everything but i don't think it will cement that HL2 will be out before November...

pple are overlooking the CS:Source beta so much.. but the truth is...its still a bit buggy and as long as thats the case, we won't be seeing HL2 as soon as we'd all like to.

They could always update CS:S through steam. After all Cs was a mod that was downloaded.

I wonder how many people out there are going to try and unlock HL2 before the official release?

On a side note...this is my first post in the HL2 Discussion Forum since June.

AmishSlayer said:
I wonder how many people out there are going to try and unlock HL2 before the official release?

This is my first period. What a great way to start! :thumbs:

AmishSlayer said:

Dude, you can't unlock it, its unplayable. :O

AmishSlayer said:

I dont think they would be able to unlock since its missing a lot of major files critical for it to run, but im sure they will try to use the material from the preload for whatever reason they want to and im sure they will succeeded in this.

Here let me try toe xplain a few things to you

You are playing cs:S to fix relevent bugs inside the source engine itself. Thats why alot of things were left out that people say wtf to all the time. Skywalking etc lol

It wasnt meant to be a beta test of cs, but a beta test of source itself. To fix the crashes. Once all the crashes are gone. and a vast vast vast majority of the relatively widespread ones are in fact now gone Than you move onto your release candidate. The bugginess of cs:s gameplay will not effect the hl2 release date whatsoever.

Gorgon said:
Dude, you can't unlock it, its unplayable. :O

From what I understood, a preload would be d/ling HL2 onto my hard drive...just with encryption and certain measures taken so I couldn't play it. I'm just wondering how many people will try their hardest to get it playable.

EDIT: I don't doubt that Valve has taken plenty of precautions to prevent this...but there are some really resourceful people out there...who knows.

Head_Crab_04 said:
They could always update CS:S through steam. After all Cs was a mod that was downloaded.

i think u mis-understood my post there.

smash<Steam> said:
This is my first period. What a great way to start! :thumbs:
it's that special time when a girl turns into a woman..... :)

Ever think about how big the Preload will be ? Maybe just 50 MB ? Then i think the Final Game is far far away... ;)

The preload is just sound and texture files that won't change till the games release nothing more.

Sashq said:
Ever think about how big the Preload will be ? Maybe just 50 MB ? Then i think the Final Game is far far away... ;)

I'm hope its a big chunk of the game 500mb-1gb so I don't have to download the full 3+gb on its release.

Grand Architect said:
I'm hope its a big chunk of the game 500mb-1gb so I don't have to download the full 3+gb on its release.

Most likely the preload size will be the same as CS:S.

So again for those of you whom don't understand that cs:S being buggy won't delay hl2, as long as it isnt super crash bugs, here somes info for you.

http://www.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=130414

The release of CS:Source is basically the Source engine plus CS game
code plus the content to play one map (probably de_dust).

The reason we are doing this is primarily to find out what problems
there are with the Source engine when we give it to a couple of hundred
thousand people.

We're doing this before we RC Half-Life 2 to give us time to fix any
issues that surface (e.g. "on this graphics card with this version of
this BIOS and this video adapter the game won't run in widescreen
modes").

We also get information back from the engine when it crashes, which is
also very useful in evaluating how close we are to being done (one crash
per play year - good! One crash per play hour - bad!).

So don't think of this as a CS:Source beta as much as it is a Source
engine configuration and compatibility test.

CS:Source is in great shape, and I don't see it impacting the RC date.
It is the plan to include it in the regular and collectors edition
boxes.

Gabe

I only posted this to give people an idea of what cs:s that we are testign actually is.

i think ist more than 1 Gb more like 1.5 Gb-2Gb but then you'll be able to download it in phases

Dr. Freeman said:
clarky, just take things with a grain of salt man.. i mean a pre-load is all nice and dandy and everything but i don't think it will cement that HL2 will be out before November...

pple are overlooking the CS:Source beta so much.. but the truth is...its still a bit buggy and as long as thats the case, we won't be seeing HL2 as soon as we'd all like to.

lol, I have played it, and to be fair, the gameplay and engine are solid. buggy.. :| lol, more like it needs a few tweaks,. :cheers:

Grand Architect said:
There'll be a portion of it tonight, then there's likely to be a second pre-load once the game goes gold with the rest of the content.

If you're buying on Steam you will have the full game on your system before it's release so it can be unlocked and played as soon as it's available.

Chris_D said:
There'll be a portion of it tonight, then there's likely to be a second pre-load once the game goes gold with the rest of the content.

If you're buying on Steam you will have the full game on your system before it's release so it can be unlocked and played as soon as it's available.

I get it for free :D:D:D happy days :E

w00t...so Erik did tell the truth in my e-mail. Go Valve! :bounce: I really wish that we all wouldn't get so P.O.'d at Valve so much though. Maybe he would have posted here instead! I guess it doesn't matter...we get the information anyways.

Sashswash said:
w00t...so Erik did tell the truth in my e-mail. Go Valve! :bounce: I really wish that we all wouldn't get so P.O.'d at Valve so much though. Maybe he would have posted here instead! I guess it doesn't matter though...we get the information anyways.

no one has told the truth yet per se. we will see.

Sashswash said:
w00t...so Erik did tell the truth in my e-mail. Go Valve! :bounce: I really wish that we all wouldn't get so P.O.'d at Valve so much though. Maybe he would have posted here instead! I guess it doesn't matter...we get the information anyways.
No he didn't. He sent the e-mail to you on the 24th so technically it should have pre-loaded yesterday :)

Wake up mister freeman, wake up...and smell the burning steam servers.

T - 1 hour 34 minutes, and counting

Chris_D said:
No he didn't. He sent the e-mail to you on the 24th so technically it should have pre-loaded yesterday :)

maybe they pushed to hard and it rolled over the hill to the next day which is today? :thumbs: :farmer:

clarky003 said:
lol, I have played it, and to be fair, the gameplay and engine are solid. buggy.. :| lol, more like it needs a few tweaks,. :cheers:

hmm.. i dunno about that.
i get random crashes.. granted few than before.. but its stuff like this that they need to fix before HL2 goes gold :p

What time will it open in the UK, on GMT? Sorry, im too incompetant to work it out... anyone? help me pleashe? :)

Synthaxx R-or said:
Wake up mister freeman, wake up...and smell the burning steam servers.

T - 1 hour 34 minutes, and counting

Don't mean to be mean. But that Gman quote is started to sound like a broken record.
:monkee:

Chris_D said:

I guess so...but he was really smart in how he phrased it. It allowed him 2 days based on the interpretation :LOL:

itd be nice if they released to us the 60mb benchmark while leaving all the other hl2 files encrypted. heres hoping

poseyjmac said:
itd be nice if they released to us the 60mb benchmark while leaving all the other hl2 files encrypted. heres hoping

That would require releasing the engine client DLL, which would be alot more hazardous in the hands of the warez community than the dorment art resources.

Unless they used the CSS dll which would again be like releasing the beta to everybody, or making a Benchmark specific DLL which would take lots of time which they clearly dont have.

Actually whats sweater is they are compiling the benchmark info and are going to post it. So that you get raw user data from all the users, who submitted the stress test results.

But yeah it would be nice to release the benchmark to all non steam users. Than again in this community doing somthing like that might just result in some people with to much time on their hands doing some naughty stuff

Lobster said:
dr0ndeh said:
thats 1am GMT btw....

edit: i have the same fear as lobster, who knows what little tidbits theyre going to stash away in this preload

PST = GMT -8

6pm PST = 2am GMT and 9pm EST

No, he is right. It is 1am GMT. However it is 2pm BST, which is British Summer Time.

GMT is one hour behind BST.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back