Religion:The stupidest thing invented by mankind?

I'm talking at the time. At the time it was logical to think a God created everything because...well anyone got a better explanation? No one really did at the time. Today however it simply is silly and illogical. I'm talking thousands of years ago.

Badgerman said:
In fact, a lot of the 'illogical rules' in the Bible were in fact very logical, but only really applicable back in the time in which it was written. The laws against homosexuality exisit simply because there weren't that many people. Therefore the emphasis on sex for procreation.

Religion tends to develop alside a structured society, as I've mentioned before - seemingly to justify the existance of the status quo - for example the emphasis on poverty as a viture, and in a sense justify the existance of the govermental system.

I do not agree with that, in the video posted before featuring Richard Dawkins he says:
Science is a dicipline of investigation and constructive doubt, questioning with logic, evidence and reason to draw conclusions.
Faith by contrast, demands a positive suspension of critical faculties.
Science preceeds by setting up hypothesese, ideas or models and then attempts to disprove them. So a scientist is constantly asking questions, beeing sceptical.
Religion is about turning untested belief in to unshakable truth trough the power of institutions and the passage of time.

Now no matter what time religion is still illogical, furthermore it does not take modern science to disprove a religion, Aristoteles, Plato and their followers managed to disprove it by simple logic and reasoning, no empherical evidence needed to be put to the table to expose the governing paradoxes. There were however no means of disproving their main believe in how the planet was created and us humans, but reason alone could cast doubt weather or not they(religius people) were lying about that too.

And while I am sure that bastardized version of religion have served their purpose troughout history and helped civilazation progress in light of what Mecha has posted one cannot but come to the conclusion that if the bible is very very illogical even for it's own time and had it been follow as the bible says it should have been followed it would have had negatieve effects on humans now, but also then. And since the bible explicitly says that only what it says is the christian religion, by logical reasoning you cannot conclude that christian religion has ever helped civilazation along since it were the bastardized versions that served that purpose and they cannot be considerd true christian religion.
I used Christian religion and the bible as an example but this offcourse applies to most of the major religions today.

Mecha, I have a question. Do you actually hate religion + religious people or are you just saying that it's stupid in a somewhat angry tone?

you completely missed everything he said. It went right over your head

When you die, the sensation is exactly the same as before you were born.. Do you remember that? Then there you go.

Mecha, I have a question. Do you actually hate religion + religious people or are you just saying that it's stupid in a somewhat angry tone?

As Stern said, you have vastly missed the point.

Name one person on Earth, on the entire planet, who follows the bible to the letter.
Name one person on Earth who follows every explicit command in the Koran.

The answer is that no-one does.

There are no religious people.

I hate the people who currently call themselves "religious" for the same reason I hate chernobyl and George W.
They are failures to follow the system, not reasons to decry the system itself.

If you say you love the Atkins diet and then eat an entire loaf of bread each day, are you really an Atkins person?

Can I be arrested by someone who flunked out of Police School?

No and no.

Comrade: The difference is between "logical" and "personally advantageous".

Innervision: Bingo.

I'm talking at the time. At the time it was logical to think a God created everything because...well anyone got a better explanation?

That's not logical. That's convenient. There's a massive difference.

The definition of logic doesn't just suddenly change and warp over time.

I've always liked this quote from Asimov:
"To surrender to ignorance and call it God has always been premature, and it remains premature today."

'xactly.

For years now, I was confused at how christians could follow the bible, which is currently full of contradictions, nonsensical commands and glorified genocides.

The answer is that they are not following the bible at all.
It's the fanfiction.
Nearly all of the biblical contradictions come from people like jesus and the pope(s) - both of whom are false prophets by definition - adding fanfiction into it.

People don't even read the real bible anymore.
They say "oh that is the old testament it is disqualified for no reason" so they ignore god and follow jesus.

Why do people follow Jesus? Because he claimed he was a new god and did magic tricks.
Jehovah specifically outlaws magic tricks and anyone claiming there is a new god.
They are to be killed on sight.

Today's "religion" is constantly attempting to brundlefly their increasingly bizarre fanfiction with an increasingly sensible reality.

The bible promotes abortion. God is the world's most proficient abortionist.
Any baby under one month old isn't worth much, according to god himself. Killing a fetus gets you a small fine.
But society doesn't like that, so we have the "pro life" movement.
They say life begins at conception.
According to god, that is a heathen lie.

Society doesn't like sex, but the one-day quarantine after ejaculation isn't enough for them. So contraception is now illegal.
God never said anything against contraception.

So as you can see, what people call "religion" is actually an insane people's political movement.
"The Insane Party of America", larger than both the republicans and democrats.

lol
I never considered associating fanfiction with the Bible.

What's the point of that question, other than to insinuate that he doesn't know what he's talking about?

I can suggest that the Harry Potter series is a bunch of crap, but to honest, I've never read a single page of any of the books. After viewing one of the films it held some entertainment value. (IMAX baby, good times)

I think its pretty clear that he has, also he mentioned he was raised as a christian few pages back.

Mechagodzilla have you read the Bible?

Yes I have - and, although I have not memorized it as some have, I have quoted it extensively in this thread.

Are you implying that we should not follow the ten commandments or the unequivocal laws of god?

If you aren't listening to god, what is the basis of the religion?

Fanfiction.

'I told you, "Make no agreements with the inhabitants of this land. Tear down their altars." But you have disobeyed me. Why have you done this?'
(Judges 2:2)

Religion is fine, as long as it dosn't interfere with others lives.

Oh dear.

Judges 2:2 said:
'And ye shall make no league with the inhabitants of this land; ye shall throw down their altars: but ye have not obeyed my voice: why have ye done this?

That's a reference to the inhabitants of the Promised Land ie Israel, the ancestors of modern day Palestians.

Did god just come out of the blue with that statement?
Did he make up the altar-smashing rule on the spot?

No. It is in reference to god's law as written by moses and as recorded on the tablets of the ten commandments.

It is very clear:

NO worshiping other gods.
NO carvings or altars.
NO living in a town which houses false prophets.

The penalty for all three crimes is DEATH, either by hanging or by stoning.
The city must be burnt and quarantined - and the altars, along with all other objects, destroyed.

If you do not follow this law, you are disobeying god and he will torture you until you die.
The law is PERMANENT.

If it "only applies to jews" then you had better damn well convert to judaism or you will be tortured until you die and then be tortured eternally in hell.
Assuming that you aren't first killed for being the wrong religion.

Look at the context of the passage.

"Jesus wept" John 11:35.
That means nothing out of context, but if you look at the whole picture, it's concerning the death of Lazarus.

First of all. Let's look at the speaker. Judges 2 starts like such:

Judges 2:1 said:
And an angel of the LORD came up from Gilgal to Bochim, and said, I made you to go up out of Egypt, and have brought you unto the land which I sware unto your fathers; and I said, I will never break my covenant with you.

angel of the LORD

angel isn't captalized and therefore this angel is not divine. So, your right in saying
Mechagodzilla said:
Did god just come out of the blue with that statement?
Did he make up the altar-smashing rule on the spot?
Jehova isn't the speaker, but the angel is speaking on Jehova's behalf.

Judges 2:1-4 said:
And an angel of the LORD came up from Gilgal to Bochim, and said, I made you to go up out of Egypt, and have brought you unto the land which I sware unto your fathers; and I said, I will never break my covenant with you.
And ye shall make no league with the inhabitants of this land; ye shall throw down their altars: but ye have not obeyed my voice: why have ye done this?
Wherefore I also said, I will not drive them out from before you; but they shall be as thorns in your sides, and their gods shall be a snare unto you.
And it came to pass, when the angel of the LORD spake these words unto all the children of Israel, that the people lifted up their voice, and wept.

Israel's disobedience and punishment for such.
Israel was commanded to remove the inhabitants of the Promise land and failed to do so; and instead placed tribute on them.

Look at the previous chapter
Judges 1:29-33 said:
Neither did Ephraim drive out the Canaanites that dwelt in Gezer; but the Canaanites dwelt in Gezer among them.
Neither did Zebulun drive out the inhabitants of Kitron, nor the inhabitants of Nahalol; but the Canaanites dwelt among them, and became tributaries.
Neither did Asher drive out the inhabitants of Accho, nor the inhabitants of Zidon, nor of Ahlab, nor of Achzib, nor of Helbah, nor of Aphik, nor of Rehob:
But the Asherites dwelt among the Canaanites, the inhabitants of the land: for they did not drive them out.
Neither did Naphtali drive out the inhabitants of Bethshemesh, nor the inhabitants of Bethanath; but he dwelt among the Canaanites, the inhabitants of the land: nevertheless the inhabitants of Bethshemesh and of Bethanath became tributaries unto them.

By doing such they allowed the inhabitants' culture and lifestyle to infiltrate Israel's society which wasn't in Jehova's plan.

"Look at the context of the passage."

Ok.

"[context]"

That context doesn't change anything about what I said.

God communicated with the people, asking them why they were not following the law (the law that says you must kill other religions), and then god punished them for not killing religions.

This single instance of specificity is a repetition and re-affirmation of the unequivocal law.

It's not my fault the bible is repetitive.

"By doing such they allowed the inhabitants' culture and lifestyle to infiltrate Israel's society which wasn't in Jehova's plan."

How could it not be in jehovah plan? He cursed them into being taken over. It says right there.

I will not drive them out from before you; but they shall be as thorns in your sides, and their gods shall be a snare unto you.

God let them be taken over, as punishment from breaking his law.

You can't honestly claim that god's command here has nothing to do with his law.
The law says destroy altars. God asked them to destroy altars.

Put two and two together.

This is what happens when people simply reduce the bible down to select passages and ignore the overall message of the work.
By ignoring the UNEQUIVOCAL PERMANENT LAW, you are not adding context. You are removing it.

How about that new testament?
Let's just pretend for a second that Jesus is not a false prophet and not destined for eternal torture in hell.
Jesus says:

'Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law of Moses or the Prophets. I have not come to abolish them, but to fulfill them.
In truth I tell you, until heaven and earth pass away, not even the smallest stroke of a letter will pass away from The Law.'

(Matthew 5:17 & 5:18)

Here is the new law (accidentally commiting a crime is equally punishable unless marked otherwise):

Death Penalty:
-Killing someone while angry at them.
-Killing someone while not angry at them (unless you stay in a City of Refuge (a safe zone built by the government).
-Killing someone with a weapon.
-Leaving a City of Refuge.
-Bestiality.
-Attempted Bestiality.^
-Homosexuality.
-Having sex with your mother, daughter or sister (actual genetic relation not required).
-Having sex with your father, son or brother (actual genetic relation not required).^
-Being married to both a mother and her daughter.
-Adultery.
---Looking at a woman with lust.
---Remarrying after a divorce.
---Marrying a divorced woman.
-Raping a married woman.
-Being raped (while married in an urban area).^
-Being accused of having premarital sex by your husband (and not being able to prove otherwise).^
-Beating your slave until he dies.
-Disobeying your parents.
-False prophecy (asking people to worship anything other than Jehovah. This does not(?) include jesus and the holy spirit).
-Living in a town where a false prophet is.
-Performing magic tricks, or any illusion.
-Ingesting blood.

Torture:
-Hitting a man in the crotch - your hand is cut off.*^
-Starting a dispute - beaten up to 40 times.
-Injuring a pregnant woman - equal trauma on yourself.
-Falsely accusing your wife of having premarital sex - beating.

Quarantine:
-Ejaculating (24 hours).
-Having sex (24 hours).
-Menstruating (7 days).^
-Having sex with a menstruating woman (7 days).
-Living in a town where a false prophet is (eternity).
-Being castrated (eternity).

Small fines:
-Hitting a man with a rock, as long as he does not die.*
-Causing an abortion.
-Menstruating (four birds).^
-Rape.
-Falsely accusing your wife of having premarital sex (100 silver coins).

Specifically Unpunished:
-Killing a man who leaves a City of Refuge.*
-Being raped in a non-urban area.
-Male genocide (only during war).*
-Adultery.^
-Slavery.
-Beating your slave (as long as he survives).
-Racial segregation.

* = Accidents (negligence, passion, etc.) not included.
^ = Female-specific crimes.
Bold text = new laws.

-----------------------
There are many more (plus several additional ones), but those not listed here are not strictly illegal; they (along with the above) are auto-punished by god, so human intervention is not required.

Even if you are not caught, you will be tortured to death by god for commiting any of these crimes and those not listed.

Disagreeing with the law - death by god.
Failure to follow the law - torture by god.
Making any law other than those listed above (such as putting poison labels on poison. Or the entire American justice system.) - torture by god.

And then you'll be in hell. Again.

Matthew 5:17-19 said:
Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil.
For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled.
Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least commandments, and shall teach men so, he shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven: but whosoever shall do and teach [them], the same shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.
The Scriptitures in they're entirety point to Christ, His virgin birth, life, death, resurrection, and eveuntal return. He came to fulfill such.

John 8:1-11 said:
8:1 Jesus went unto the mount of Olives.
8:2 And early in the morning he came again into the temple, and all the people came unto him; and he sat down, and taught them.
8:3 And the scribes and Pharisees brought unto him a woman taken in adultery; and when they had set her in the midst,
8:4 They say unto him, Master, this woman was taken in adultery, in the very act.
8:5 Now Moses in the law commanded us, that such should be stoned: but what sayest thou?
8:6 This they said, tempting him, that they might have to accuse him. But Jesus stooped down, and with [his] finger wrote on the ground, [as though he heard them not].
8:7 So when they continued asking him, he lifted up himself, and said unto them, He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone at her.
8:8 And again he stooped down, and wrote on the ground.
8:9 And they which heard [it], being convicted by [their own] conscience, went out one by one, beginning at the eldest, [even] unto the last: and Jesus was left alone, and the woman standing in the midst.
8:10 When Jesus had lifted up himself, and saw none but the woman, he said unto her, Woman, where are those thine accusers? hath no man condemned thee?
8:11 She said, No man, Lord. And Jesus said unto her, Neither do I condemn thee: go, and sin no more.

Matthew 7:1-7 said:
7:1 Judge not, that ye be not judged.
7:2 For with what judgment ye judge, ye shall be judged: and with what measure ye mete, it shall be measured to you again.
7:3 And why beholdest thou the mote that is in thy brother's eye, but considerest not the beam that is in thine own eye?
7:4 Or how wilt thou say to thy brother, Let me pull out the mote out of thine eye; and, behold, a beam is in thine own eye?
7:5 Thou hypocrite, first cast out the beam out of thine own eye; and then shalt thou see clearly to cast out the mote out of thy brother's eye.
7:6 Give not that which is holy unto the dogs, neither cast ye your pearls before swine, lest they trample them under their feet, and turn again and rend you.
7:7 Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you:

"The Scriptitures in they're entirety point to Christ, His virgin birth, life, death, resurrection, and eveuntal return. He came to fulfill such."

Wrong. Jesus has not yet returned for a second coming.
It might be eveuntal, but it has not happened yet.
Come on, this is basic stuff.

"John 8:1-11"
This says only that crimes cannot be punished if there are no accusers.
All the laws are subject to a divine mercy clause:
If one aspect of the trinity personally intervenes, punishment can be rescinded.
If one doesn't, they are tortured.
Jesus intervened here.

Along with Matthew 7:1-7, the message is clear:
"Judge not, that ye not be judged."
That says nothing more than that the law has equal application to everybody:
You are allowed to judge - but only if you agree to the laws.

Nowhere does jesus say "the permanent laws are void now".
He says the opposite: The permanent laws are permanent.
So, logically, we must assume the laws are true.
And, thus, these special cases must be interpreted accordingly.

You lose all context if you ignore the UNEQUIVOCAL PERMANENT LAWS.

On a scale of 1 to 10 how ironic is it that I now worship Mecha as a result of his posts?

On a more serious note religion is there because the thought on non-existance scares the living shit out of people (it does to me anyway)

On a scale of 1 to 10 how ironic is it that I now worship Mecha as a result of his posts?

On a more serious note religion is there because the thought on non-existance scares the living shit out of people (it does to me anyway)
It does everyone, it's kinda apart of human nature to be afraid of what we don't know. Some people will tell you it doesn't, but deep down it does everyone.

I'll give Gia $20 if he can tell me what religion judaism/christianty/islam borrowed many aspects from. Also tell me what was, more then likley the FIRST, monotheistic religion?

The real irony is that - by preaching the laws verbatim as the only true laws of god, and not enforcing them - I am now the only true christian on the entire Earth. :p

Everyone else worships a fanfiction.

By the way, I am an atheist.
There is no law in the bible against atheism.

So now an atheist is the only true christian on Earth. :D

Loopholes, lol!

I'm something, I can't pinpoint it tho. D:

Oh wait, I'm an asshole, that's it.

So now an atheist is the only true christian on Earth. :D
Not technically a law, but still:

Psalm 53:
1 The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Corrupt are they, and have done abominable iniquity; there is none that doeth good.
2 God looked down from heaven upon the children of men, to see if there were any that did understand, that did seek God.
3 Every one of them is gone back: they are altogether become filthy; there is none that doeth good, no, not one.

When I was a regular church-goer, this was always the passage used to damn atheists.

I have faith that god will implement the divine mercy clause, since I am the only true christian on earth and all.

Only the laws I have listed need be judged and punished by humans. The rest is up to the lord.

If I am not struck down by illness and god's other tortures, I can only assume that I am innocent.

Also, a fundamental aspect of my religion (Christian Atheism) is that I do, in fact, do no good.
I choose not to enforce the law, as jesus allows.
If this offends god, he may strike me down with his curse.

That is assuming, of course, that this song is in fact part of the divine law.
(Which it can't be. It wasn't in the list of permanent laws.)

Hmm... a much simpler argument than above, but here it is.

Athiest - Can't you see that religion has been made obselete by science?
Religious Guy - Aye, but that's what faith is: unquestioning acceptance of God's existance despite all the overwhelming evidence to the contarary.
Athiest - Uhh... okay...

OR

Athiest - The universe, that is everything, always existed.
Religious Guy - Nope. It needed God to create it.
Athiest - Who made God?
Religious Guy - Oh, Him? He always existed.
Athiest - Uhh... right...

Seriously, these sumarize what I have heard people say.

Mechagodzilla said:
This says only that crimes cannot be punished if there are no accusers.
All the laws are subject to a divine mercy clause:
If one aspect of the trinity personally intervenes, punishment can be rescinded.
If one doesn't, they are tortured.
Jesus intervened here.
Not quite sure where you got that from, intervenment and such, but regardless; Christ intervened on the cross for the sins of humanity.

Mechagodzilla said:
"The Scriptitures in they're entirety point to Christ, His virgin birth, life, death, resurrection, and eveuntal return. He came to fulfill such."

Wrong. Jesus has not yet returned for a second coming.
Thanks for the obvious. :)

Mechagodzilla said:

Romans 1:20-25 said:
1:20 For the invisible things of him from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, [even] his eternal power and Godhead; so that they are without excuse:
1:21 Because that, when they knew God, they glorified [him] not as God, neither were thankful; but became vain in their imaginations, and their foolish heart was darkened.
1:22 Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools,
1:23 And changed the glory of the uncorruptible God into an image made like to corruptible man, and to birds, and fourfooted beasts, and creeping things.
1:24 Wherefore God also gave them up to uncleanness through the lusts of their own hearts, to dishonour their own bodies between themselves:
1:25 Who changed the truth of God into a lie, and worshipped and served the creature more than the Creator, who is blessed for ever. Amen.

Psalm 14:1 said:
"The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God."

Mechagodzilla said:
You lose all context if you ignore the UNEQUIVOCAL PERMANENT LAWS.
I never said they were unequivocal. Arent we all morally bond to them? You've got massive list and I'm not sure where you got your information from... ie

Mechagodzilla said:
Death Penalty:
-Killing someone while angry at them.
-Killing someone while not angry at them (unless you stay in a City of Refuge (a safe zone built by the government).
-Killing someone with a weapon.
-Leaving a City of Refuge.
-Bestiality.
-Attempted Bestiality.^
-Homosexuality.
-Having sex with your mother, daughter or sister (actual genetic relation not required).
-Having sex with your father, son or brother (actual genetic relation not required).^
-Being married to both a mother and her daughter.
-Adultery.
---Looking at a woman with lust.
---Remarrying after a divorce.
---Marrying a divorced woman.
-Raping a married woman.
-Being raped (while married in an urban area).^
-Being accused of having premarital sex by your husband (and not being able to prove otherwise).^
-Beating your slave until he dies.
-Disobeying your parents.
-False prophecy (asking people to worship anything other than Jehovah. This does not(?) include jesus and the holy spirit).
-Living in a town where a false prophet is.
-Performing magic tricks, or any illusion.
-Ingesting blood.

Torture:
-Hitting a man in the crotch - your hand is cut off.*^
-Starting a dispute - beaten up to 40 times.
-Injuring a pregnant woman - equal trauma on yourself.
-Falsely accusing your wife of having premarital sex - beating.

Quarantine:
-Ejaculating (24 hours).
-Having sex (24 hours).
-Menstruating (7 days).^
-Having sex with a menstruating woman (7 days).
-Living in a town where a false prophet is (eternity).
-Being castrated (eternity).

Small fines:
-Hitting a man with a rock, as long as he does not die.*
-Causing an abortion.
-Menstruating (four birds).^
-Rape.
-Falsely accusing your wife of having premarital sex (100 silver coins).

Specifically Unpunished:
-Killing a man who leaves a City of Refuge.*
-Being raped in a non-urban area.
-Male genocide (only during war).*
-Adultery.^
-Slavery.
-Beating your slave (as long as he survives).
-Racial segregation.

* = Accidents (negligence, passion, etc.) not included.
^ = Female-specific crimes.
Bold text = new laws.
Where are such suggested?

"Christ intervened on the cross for the sins of humanity."

Where does it say the crucifixion cancelled the UNEQUIVOCAL PERMANENT LAWS.
Jesus himself said the laws can and must last forever, unaltered, until he arrives before the apocalypse.

Q: Is jesus lying?

A: No, he is not. The laws are permanent and unequivocal.

"I never said they were unequivocal."

Who cares what you say?

These are the laws of god almighty, who you will have no gods before.
That is the definition of unequivocal.

As for the laws, I thought you had read the bible? Check them yourself:

The Law:

Numbers 15:15, Deuteronomy 4:6-27:10
Deuteronomy 25:1-3
Numbers 35:11-27
Exodus 21:18-25, Deuteronomy 25:11-12
Leviticus 15:16-33
Leviticus 18:23-20:16
Leviticus 18:22-20:13
Leviticus 18:7-20:14
Deuteronomy 22:23-29
Deuteronomy 24:5
Deuteronomy 22:13-20
Deuteronomy 20:13-21:14
Numbers 5:13-28
Exodus 21:2-21, Deuteronomy 15:16-17
Deuteronomy 21:18-21
Deuteronomy 13:1-6
Deuteronomy 13:6-10
Deuteronomy 13:13-17
Deuteronomy 23:3-8
Deuteronomy 21:23
Deuteronomy 23:9-14
Leviticus 7:27-11:42
Deuteronomy 23:1
Deuteronomy 6:6-9
Leviticus 26:22, Deuteronomy 28:15-63
Deuteronomy 29:19-20

The Ten Commandments:

Exodus 19:1-23:1

Jesus' Bonus Definitions of Adultery:

Matthew 27:27-28
Matthew 5:32, Mk 10:11

I can save you a lot of reading though, by assuring you that I have made no error.

This is religious law and, as such, it must be treated with the same care and thought as secular law.

If the law says it is permanent until the apocalypse, it is permanent.
You cannot change the law of jesus to suit your needs.

As for atheism, I agree that I am a fool.
Since I aquiesce to god's law and agree with his judgement, I have been tried and punished in full for my crime of athiesm.
I have followed the laws of jesus to the letter, and have been tried for my crimes.

Fool though I may be, I accept the laws of god and do not lie.

You do not follow the laws, yet lie and claim you do.

Who, then, is the greater fool?

I will go to hell, which I know does not exist.
You will also, except you believe in hell.

Repent!

I'll give Gia $20 if he can tell me what religion judaism/christianty/islam borrowed many aspects from. Also tell me what was, more then likley the FIRST, monotheistic religion?
Come on gia. It's time you learn something new about your religion. Hell can you even name the one of the earliest sects of christianty. Well?

FUN CHRISTIANITY FACT:

If Gia is a true Christian who wants to avoid hell, you can ask for any possession of his and he must give it to you.
(Matthew 5:41, Luke 6:30)

Gia, I ask that you lend me your computer.
Immediately.

Also, just for the record, the only recorded punishments for atheism are "lustiness" and "dishonourability".
Of course, I fully accept god's law, so that cancels out the dishonour.

So I'm lusty. Oh well. :p

Is this what it's come to? Ridculing people?

I am not ridiculing anyone. I am only quoting what is said in the bible.

Please show some religious tolerance.

Didn't anybody ever tell you not to read the bible so literally?

TBH I think it should happen more often.

Only those who are contemptuous should be ridiculed. Otherwise what's to say your logic shouldn't be perfectly allowed under any other circumstances? Homosexuals deserve no ridicule, but they recieve it. Often from religious people, yes... and they shouldn't do it, since homosexuals are just as entitled to their lifestyles as those religious people are having their beliefs. Without being unnecessarily and scornfully judged.

Yes, but that's stupid talk.

It says the laws are permanent until the apocalypse.
What is to interpret there?
It is very clear.

You can find metaphors anywhere.
Do we treat secular law metaphorically?
Maybe my parking ticket is a metaphor for joy?
"Thou shall not kill."
Is that a metaphor for tasty bananas?

What law is based on metaphors?

Jesus says:
'...to those on the outside [of the flock], everything comes in parables [metaphorical stories] so that they may look and look but never perceive, listen and listen but never understand.'
(Mark 4:11-12)

Metaphors are only used to confuse the enemies of christ.
The law is distinctly non-metaphorical, contrasted to the parables - which are explicitly metaphorical.

Why are your standards for the bible so much lower than those you apply to the secular world?
Is it just because it is the work of god?

God says: ADD NOTHING AND TAKE NOTHING AWAY.

Meh. I hate religious threads. Full of bigots on either side. Going back to off topic.

Didn't anybody ever tell you not to read the bible so literally?

This is a cop-out for people who don't follow God's word to a tee.

Only those who are contemptuous should be ridiculed. Otherwise what's to say your logic shouldn't be perfectly allowed under any other circumstances? Homosexuals deserve no ridicule, but they recieve it. Often from religious people, yes... and they shouldn't do it, since homosexuals are just as entitled to their lifestyles as those religious people are having their beliefs. Without being unnecessarily and scornfully judged.

They should recieve ridicule just the same as the goman who swears that a pink meterosexual unicorn runs the US government through his human puppets.

Actually, it's not so much that they should be ridiculed as much as it is that religious beliefs shouldn't be given any kind of social protection, since they're ridiculous.

Back