Secret Santa Discussion 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.
Glenn, could we ask Valve when the sale is? Explain why and hope they reply...

Can I just buy Gabe like five games in exchange for some info on Ep 3?

I kind of want to do it this year since I have money now... but I also kind of don't because I hate Secret Santa type things and having to select gifts for people. It's a truly miserable experience for me.

I'm guessing since this is a secret santa deal our personal information will be kept totally hidden? If so I'm down.

Only information needed is matching a steam ID with your forum account.

I want to add the SEGA Mega Drive Classics 3 pack to my wish list, but it doesn't work damn it!

I have $10-$15 to spare, and it sounded like it was fun last year...

Am I allowed to participate, with my pathetic 0.99 posts per day? :eek:

Like others have said, it would be good to give it until the sale ends. Would make no difference to me if I receive my gift on the 25th or the 27th.

Shit, I'd be fine with 1/1/11. Great way to start the new year right?

At least all the sales would have passed, for the most part anyways.

I have $10-$15 to spare, and it sounded like it was fun last year...

Am I allowed to participate, with my pathetic 0.99 posts per day? :eek:
Of course!
Like others have said, it would be good to give it until the sale ends. Would make no difference to me if I receive my gift on the 25th or the 27th.
The Steam sale timing is a well kept secret, I asked last year and the response was literally 'we can't tell you that!'. I have asked again in a footnote to an email I sent earlier but don't hold your breath.
Shit, I'd be fine with 1/1/11. Great way to start the new year right?
I kind of want to get the gifts while it still feels christmassy, also I'm not around on new year, it would end up being several days after that.

I'll try be as flexible as possible when the time comes...if the Steam sale has a day left on the 28th, I'll extend it. The only problem will be that I won't be able to send out everyone's gifts around that time, perhaps Sliver could save the day.

You can understand why they'd want to keep sale dates a secret. If the date got out beforehand, Steam sales would probably slow down considerably until it started.

I want to add the SEGA Mega Drive Classics 3 pack to my wish list, but it doesn't work damn it!

Most packs can't be added to your list, as far as I can tell. You have to put on the individual games, which would cost the gifter more in most cases.

Maybe, in light of this, we should have people add an addendum to their wishlist posts about packs? Or just notify someone to compile them into a post when we start gifting. I wouldn't mind doing it.

You can understand why they'd want to keep sale dates a secret. If the date got out beforehand, Steam sales would probably slow down considerably until it started.

Yep. Though I'm sure anyone aware of the previous sales has been holding off anyways. Having a huge sale each year probably comes with an unwelcome effect of people getting wise and holding off their purchases when it gets close. I know I have. Theres been one game I'm itching to buy, but im holding off to see if there is a sale. If I were Steam, honestly, I wouldn't even have a big sale this year, and possibly not even next year. That way they keep everyone guessing and don't make it so nobody buys games until the holidays. I mean, I don't know the numbers, but I imagine that when games are 75% off they don't make a whole lot off each sale. Unless the number of purchases is through the roof (which it very well might be) it might not be worth having people buy fewer games throughout the year at full price, and then only buy when they get smaller profits.

Most packs can't be added to your list, as far as I can tell. You have to put on the individual games, which would cost the gifter more in most cases.

Maybe, in light of this, we should have people add an addendum to their wishlist posts about packs? Or just notify someone to compile them into a post when we start gifting. I wouldn't mind doing it.

I thought about doing that actually. I have a game in there called Theatre of War 2 that actually has three full-blown expansions and the original game for just $45 bucks, whereas the one game itself is $20. If that pack goes 75% off that would make it much more likely to be a potential gift.

Is it okay to just pastebin my wishlist with Steam Store links?(Private profile)

I'd be okay with the gifts all flying a little bit after Christmas.

Wait wtf, MDK and MDK2 are on steam?! I ****in want those.
Damn lack of adding combos, could get both for $14.99 if I could add it that way to the wishlist.

Maybe if people want something special like combos, they can just note it down like here or in their sign-up post, so that if their santa is not super-lazy they can figure it out?

Also, I'm good with waiting for sales too.

Ah, in that case, IF YOU HAVE A HEART mr./mrs. anon, GET ME THE MDK COMBO PACK.

I would be inclined to sign up this year given last year was a major hit with everyone here, but I have good standing with the forum and I know I'll f*ck that up by forgetting to live to the agreement

How do we find out who we are buying a gift for, will it be by PM?

Ah, in that case, IF YOU HAVE A HEART mr./mrs. anon, GET ME THE MDK COMBO PACK.

Probably best to edit this kind of thing into your link post in the main thread, since that's what your secret santa will be looking at.

I dont wanted to enter due to money constrains but since I read that minecraft will stop costing 10 euros or whatever them I was hoping that I could enter and ask minecraft as my gift and I send a steam game
I dont have paypal account and dont want to put my card that isnt entirely mine in more internet stuff cuz I am a bit afraid of it so...

it can be done? cuz minecraft has a gift option too isnt?

and if the price is higher than 10 dollars them I send a gift that cost more cuz it would be a litle more isnt?

I want to get rid of my Halflife2: Episode 1 gift that has been sitting in my account for a few years now. Its current selling price is 6.99 Euros = 9.350523 U.S. dollars, so its right there on the limit. I also think most of you guys already have episode 1 seeing this being a half-life fan forum. Just checking to see if i should sign up or if its futile, what do you guys think? Its no problem if im not allowed, i just want to get rid of the gift already lol

unsent.png

I really really want to go in on this but looking at my wishlist I really can't say that any of those games I really want and want somebody wasting money on to get me.

Frustrating situation to be innnn..... can't I just buy somebody a gift?

Well all I can say is it would be better if you entered only because you wanted to take part in this as a community event rather than getting hung up about specific games. You're pretty well known Raz and I'd imagine your SS will have fun looking for a game for you, that you don't already own or know about...which they think you would enjoy.

Wishlists are a good guide, which helps people to lock onto specific games but in some cases I'd imagine SS's may buy something similar which that person overlooked.

I want to get rid of my Halflife2: Episode 1 gift that has been sitting in my account for a few years now. Its current selling price is 6.99 Euros = 9.350523 U.S. dollars, so its right there on the limit. I also think most of you guys already have episode 1 seeing this being a half-life fan forum. Just checking to see if i should sign up or if its futile, what do you guys think? Its no problem if im not allowed, i just want to get rid of the gift already lol
You can sign up, but you can't sign up with the premise that the person you get randomly drawn won't own EP1 and will want it. That is plain ridiculous. Sign up if you want to be involved in a community event. Think of the poor bastard who would get you!

If you want to get rid of that gift, come into HL2.net steam chat and just say it's going free. Ravioli is REJECTED from signing up.

I really really want to go in on this but looking at my wishlist I really can't say that any of those games I really want and want somebody wasting money on to get me.

Frustrating situation to be innnn..... can't I just buy somebody a gift?

You mean without HL2.net's permission?

Question: can I use those over-the-counter credit cards to make online purchases? 'cause I kind of don't have my own anymore >_>

Question: can I use those over-the-counter credit cards to make online purchases? 'cause I kind of don't have my own anymore >_>

I've used the Visa gift cards plenty of times to make Steam purchases.

Discounted game down to $10 is fine, I've put all this information in the first post. Please read it, also this is NOT the discussion thread...sign ups & wishlists for this thread. Use the other one for questions, you're making my organisation difficult :(

It is almost time, folks... The deadline is fast approaching.

I've used the Visa gift cards plenty of times to make Steam purchases.

Is there any kind of service charge or other fee (recurring or otherwise) on those? And can it be used as if it were a credit card on Paypal? I've been using those MoneyPak things but the $4.99 service fee is a little steep considering I don't put loads of money in at a time. I only do this for Paypal-only purchases so I really need something Paypal compatible.

I swear I'm not making anonymous illegal purchases. I just don't like the idea of tying anything to Paypal. :p

Discounted game down to $10 is fine, I've put all this information in the first post. Please read it, also this is NOT the discussion thread...sign ups & wishlists for this thread. Use the other one for questions, you're making my organisation difficult :(

People have been using the signup thread for discussion, but I think you're a bit muddled there. :p

Someone moved them for me, since someone is kind and helpful unlike all you guys.

I'd be more helpful and kind if I had mod powers ;)

Just to make this clear to you clearly dyslexic bunch of fools - THIS THREAD, the one we're in right now, is the sign-up thread. THIS THREAD is for any other discussion.

TBH, I was fine until I read your post. Then I went to the other thread to post my "Sign me up!"....thank god I re-read like 3 times.

We're closed for business guys, I had to leave it till the clock ticked over for the entire world onto the 18th. The list of names is there...me and Sliver are doing the draw, you'll get a PM shortly. Give us some time to get down the list to everyone - if you posted in the sign up thread, you're in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back