What are YOU reading right now?

I picked up Game of Thrones. Looking forward to reading it.

But I also bought Grendel by John Gardner. Story of Beowulf from the point of view of Grendel. Gardner turns him from one dimensional villain into philosophical anti-hero. Seeing as how I just read Beowulf, I'll probably read Grendel before Game of Thrones.

"The 2nd Korean War"

War novel. North invades on 2016, December 20th. Bit long, about the size of Harry Potter 6.
So that's what Korean kids read instead of books about wizards?

So that's what Korean kids read instead of books about wizards?

Hey, "...the entire platoon flew in the air, as the devastating aftershock of the neutron bombs swept them. To be awake and aware that your heart has stopped, that is true fear.

Even though the neutron bomb is called a 'clean bomb', for it leaves no residual radiation, there was nothing clean about an entire company of marines simultaneously losing bodily control, including the bowels."

Is better than Harry Potter. :p

I think i've seen it too, quite a while ago.

Good choice :)

The Guards books are probably my favourite of the discworld series, along with anything involving Death - big fan of Mort, Reaper Man and Soul Music.
I love the Death books and I absolutly loved Hogfather. I heard there's a film version coming out, I hope they do Death's voice well.

Yeah, i agree with Warbie. I love all the discworld books though, Death and Captain Carrot are my favourite characters though.

Also, the George RR. Martin books are fantastic, really amazing... so cant wait for the next one. I much prefer reading whole series once they;re finished... so i dont have to wait for the next book. It'll be years before that series finishes :(

Catcher in the Rye

Best ****ing book I've read for school.
\o/

For anyone who hasn't read it:

I was way early when I got there, so I just sat down on one of those leather couches right near the clock in the lobby and watched the girls. A lot of schools were home for vacation already, and there were about a million girls sitting and standing around waiting for their dates to show up. Girls with their legs crossed, girls with their legs not crossed, girls with terrific legs, girls with lousy legs, girls that looked like swell girls, girls that looked like they'd be bitches if you knew them. It was really nice sightseeing, if you know what I mean. In a way, it was sort of depressing, too, because you kept wondering what the hell would happen to all of them. When they got out of school and college, I mean. You figured most of them would probably marry dopy guys. Guys that always talk about how many miles they get to a gallon in their goddam cars. Guys that get sore and childish as hell if you beat them ag golf, or even just some stupid game like ping pong. Guys that are very mean. Guys that never read books. Guys that are very boring - But I have to be careful about that. I mean about calling certain guys bores. I don't understand boring guys. I really don't. When I was at Elkton Hills, I roomed for about two months with this boy, Harris Macklin. He was very intelligent and all, but he was one of the biggest bores I ever met. he had one of these very raspy voices, and he never stopped talking, practically. He never stopped talking, and what was awful was, he never said anything you wanted to hear in the first place. But he could do one thing. The sonuvabitch could whistle better than anybody I ever heard. He'd be making his bed, or hanging up stuff in the closet - he was always hanging up stuff in the closet - it drove me crazy - and he'd be whistling while he did it, if he wasn't talking in this raspy voice. He could even whistle classical stuff, but most of the time he just whistled jazz. He could take something very jazzy, like "Tin Roof Blues," and whistle it so nice and easy - right while he was hanging stuff up in the closet - that it could kill you. Naturally, I never told him I thought he was a terrific whistler. I mean you don't just go up to somebody and say, "You're a terrific whistler." But I roomed with him for about two whole months, even though he bored me till I was half crazy, just because he was such a terrific whistler, the best I ever heard. So I don't know about bores. Maybe you shouldn't feel too sorry if you see some swell girl getting married to them. They don't hurt anybody, most of them, and maybe they're secretly all terrific whistlers or something. Who the hell knows? Not me.

The ENTIRE BOOK is like that. :D

Catcher in the Rye's a good book and all, but not as much as its hyped up to be. It's nothing you wouldn't find in someone's livejournal entries, just better written with a message.

The best book the school ever made us read will always and forever be To Kill a Mockingbird.

I picked up Game of Thrones. Looking forward to reading it.

But I also bought Grendel by John Gardner. Story of Beowulf from the point of view of Grendel. Gardner turns him from one dimensional villain into philosophical anti-hero. Seeing as how I just read Beowulf, I'll probably read Grendel before Game of Thrones.

Characters in ASoIaF are anything but one dimensional. You may find yourself hating, loathing, a character in one book and suddenly feeling sympathy for the character in the next.

Kinda thinking of reading Beowulf.

Update on what I'm reading: Still re-reading A Game of Thrones (near the end), nearly finished "reading" Harry Potter 6 in audio book format.

Catcher in the Rye's a good book and all, but not as much as its hyped up to be. It's nothing you wouldn't find in someone's livejournal entries, just better written with a message.

The best book the school ever made us read will always and forever be To Kill a Mockingbird.

I enjoy it, as it helped me understand a fair bit about myself..To Kill A Mockingbird is ace, I also enjoyed Of Mice And Men

This thre-

I mean, Hmmm. I don't have any new books so I'm re-re-re-re-reading my Sandman collection (by Neil Gaiman), hopefully I'll grab American Gods sometime this month.

Personally the best text that the school made us read was either 12 Angry Men or One Flew over the Cuckoo's nest, but I haven't read To Kill a Mockingbird yet. I didn't like Of Mice and Men that much.

This Thread

EDIT

Damn i just found out previous ppl have said thuis... DaMN, Jintor almost said it...

Bear in mind that CitR was written 50 years ago. It was pretty revolutionary back then. This book introduced a more loose sort of story telling that was unheard of in the 1950's (hence the similarities with live journals). CitR has been an inspiration to generations of writers. Books like 'On the Road', 'American Psycho' or 'Bright Lights, Big City' wouldn't have been possible without it.

This thread. :|

I'm also re-reading Lian Hearn's series. The one that starts with The Nightingale Floor.

EDIT: CRAP I should actually read the thread first.

Way to be original

Grapes of Wrath

And that catcher of/in? the rye extract looks excellant, I'll pick it up from the libary sometime.

Lunar Park by Bret Easton Ellis
System of the World by Neal Stephenson
The Watchmen series by Alan Moore

Bear in mind that CitR was written 50 years ago. It was pretty revolutionary back then. This book introduced a more loose sort of story telling that was unheard of in the 1950's (hence the similarities with live journals). CitR has been an inspiration to generations of writers. Books like 'On the Road', 'American Psycho' or 'Bright Lights, Big City' wouldn't have been possible without it.

Oh no doubt, I'm pretty sure it was big in the 60s and 70s with the counter-culture and all. But, I guess you have to really understand or live in that period to like certain books. Like for instance, A Separate Peace. Haven't found a single person who liked it. I thought it was great. Takes place during the 40's I believe.

Catcher in the Rye definitely, like Comrade, helped me understand a bit of myself. But, after hearing everything about it being the greatest book ever, I was a bit underwhelmed and Holden even came off as a bit annoying in the beginning.

This thre-

I mean, Hmmm. I don't have any new books so I'm re-re-re-re-reading my Sandman collection (by Neil Gaiman), hopefully I'll grab American Gods sometime this month.

I thought American Gods rambled on a little too loosely and could have benefited from being split into a few different books or storylines. However, its psuedo-sequel Anansi Boys is excellent and I definitely recommend it (its not really necessary to have read American Gods first).

Personally I'm reading The Historian right now. For anyone of a morbid bent and with a serious attention span its pretty darned good. Otherwise most people will probably get bored with its slow pace and extreme length.

Back