2006 FIFA World Cup Football Tournament

The Monkey said:
Wtf is wrong with the team? Everything they did was wrong, the defence, the attacks, the finish... It seemed like every single pass went wrong. And T&T only had 10 players for the entire 2nd period!

If this is the best we can do, we don't deserve to be in this tournament.

don't be so harsh on your team, I thought they played well but ultimately you do need a bit of luck here and then.

Yeah monkey, not a thing right? They didn't lose, or concede any goals. The attack showed promising developments from Larsson and Ibrahimovic, you were just held by a team on a mission today. Could have been worse :)

It's just that everybody here took it for granted that we would win against T&T as well as Paraguay, and that the only real challange was England. But now everybody thinks: If we can't even beat The World Cup's worst team when they only have 10 players, how the hell are we supposed to beat England? Although technically we could get away with a draw against England provided we beat Paraguay. But then we probably would have to face Germany in Round 2.

Argentina v Ivory Coast…… any predictions?

3/2 Argentina

I actually think Sweden will kick England's arse very hard, if you compare the 2 performances. You vikings are not dead and buried yet I say...

3-1 to Argentina, I would say... But then again, I predicted 4-0 against T&T :(

Many thanks to you Monkey, we'll get poland, you can have germany hehe. Chin up, things change very quickly!

The game this evening will be very physical i think, expect a few yellow cards. But...3-1 Argentina with Drogba on the scoresheet for Ivory Coast.

baxter said:
Argentina v Ivory Coast…… any predictions?

3/2 Argentina

I am hoping for 0-0 or 1-1, but it'll prolly be something like 3-1.

Well shit, 3 x 3-1 score predictions, we might be football pundits of the future :)

RoyaleWithCheese said:
I actually think Sweden will kick England's arse very hard, if you compare the 2 performances. You vikings are not dead and buried yet I say...

Compare what two performances? If you think Paraguay are a bad side you're sorely mistaken. We still beat them at the end of the day despite it not being a convincing performance.

Ok the game is underway, Argentina vs Ivory Coast, looking at the teams now, i think Ivory Coast is going to win hehe. Crazy but possible. The African Champions are physical blokes.

mortiz said:
Compare what two performances? If you think Paraguay are a bad side you're sorely mistaken. We still beat them at the end of the day despite it not being a convincing performance.

I'm not saying England had an easy opponent, but football-wise I think the Swedish team has done much better today, although they did not win.

I'd agree with that, but after the 1st half (which was good) we were tired cos of the heat.

Well the 3-1 prediction is still on target, halftime and argentina winning 2-0 (Crespo and Saviola)

Now that's football! A fast, fun play from both sides. I'd love to see the Ivorians score, they really deserve it, but I still think that Argentina will get three points. That was fun to watch! :D

Yeah 2-1 isn't bad, i wanted Ivory coast to get something out of it, but our predictions weren't too far wrong, and Drogba scored the goal :) That's all the WC games for today, phew!

Yeah, cool game. The Ivorians deserved more though. They're a great team. They will be a hard nut to crack next wednesday ....

The best game of the tournament so far.

Hey, here's food for thought, who thinks England would have won against either of these teams?

I'm not just bashing England, just being realistic, if you really believe that England are contenders, then this is what you are up against. All be it these are just the opening games, the contenders I rate so far are, Germany, Argentina and even the Ivory Coast. We are yet to see Brazil, France, Spain, Holland, Italy etc.

No disrespect to those I have not mentioned, but the reality is, our only home team has hardly made an earth shattering entrance to the tournament.

baxter said:
The best game of the tournament so far.

Hey, here's food for thought, who thinks England would have won against either of these teams?

I'm not just bashing England, just being realistic, if you really believe that England are contenders, then this is what you are up against. All be it these are just the opening games, the contenders I rate so far are, Germany, Argentina and even the Ivory Coast. We are yet to see Brazil, France, Spain, Holland, Italy etc.

No disrespect to those I have not mentioned, but the reality is, our only home team has hardly made an earth shattering entrance to the tournament.

Yes, because one game (that we won) spells disaster for Englands whole campaign :rolleyes:

Sure, England need to play better but there's no reason why they shouldn't. Englands only real weakness is the manager imo.

Need to play better ?Jesus, They need to play like world champions and not a team that simply gives up just because they have a one goal lead and it is too hot.
It's the same very single tournament they go into, all full of hope and glory, singing along to Baddiel and Skinner “Footballs coming home". It's not mate, it left here years ago and went abroad. Europe, South America and now Africa have laid claim to football, we have been left standing on the side line. I know Scotland are shite, we never even made it, England did, if you want to believe they will go the entire way fine,ok, I'll cheer you along.

Infact I'll go so far as to say I will dance naked round my garden singing "Vindalou", photograph myself and post the snaps here if England win. I'll even do it if they reach the final. Would you if they don’t?

Argentina vs ivory coast was pretty good :)
And rio ferdinands world cup wind ups was funny as ****.

Hehe. You brits and your soccer.

Wish I could watch along with you. I don't think its even being broadcast in the US.

DarkStar said:

Wish I could watch along with you. I don't think its even being broadcast in the US.

It's on the spanish channel sometimes. You can make out "GOOOOAAAALL" occasionally.

DarkStar said:

The World Cup is shown on ABC, ESPN and ESPN2 in the US.

If you can't take the trouble to watch the world's most popular sporting event, you deserve to die a gruesome death.
At the hands of Barney the purple dinosaur.

DarkStar said:

brits ? you mean the WORLD.

90 More minutes and Holland will kick off their first match. I am getting a slight bit nervous.

Shakermaker said:
90 More minutes and Holland will kick off their first match. I am getting a slight bit nervous.
damn that game should be good, stupid work atm ftl. Watched the highlights lastnight(sry i wasnt on xfire dude :(), god england sucked balls, joe cole looked good though, the aregentina ivory coast game was quite good, Riquelme FTW!

Dude, question: who are those crazy bastards that cover the world cup for Irish TV? I saw a clip about them yesterday and I laughed out loud a couple of times. They were constantly complaining about the fact that they couldn't get any alcohol in the stadium.

Shakermaker said:
Dude, question: who are those crazy bastards that cover the world cup for Irish TV? I saw a clip about them yesterday and I laughed out loud a couple of times. They were constantly complaining about the fact that they couldn't get any alcohol in the stadium.
lol:LOL: i dunno, RTE cover it for ireland but i didnt see anything like that, got a link? it might have been a spoof coz after the main show there is a small spoof segment called 'apres match' that is basically a big pisstake of the main programmes presenters and pundits aswell as the teams and managers.

I hate Riquelme, although he's an amazing player. He helped knock out Rangers from the Champions League :(

Can't wait to see how Holland do.

jimbo118 said:
lol:LOL: i dunno, RTE cover it for ireland but i didnt see anything like that, got a link? it might have been a spoof coz after the main show there is a small spoof segment called 'apres match' that is basically a big pisstake of the main programmes presenters and pundits aswell as the teams and managers.

That's prolly what I saw. Because that's exactly what it was: one giant pisstake. Very funneh.

Gonna get ready for the match now ...

My predictions for today:

Serbia-Montenegro 0-1 Netherlands
Mexico 3-1 Iran
Angola 0-2 Portugal

S&M have a great defence, they've only let in one goal in ten games, but I'm still rooting for Holland.

Back