2006 FIFA World Cup Football Tournament

Thank god that second half is over. But yay for 3 points \o/.

well better win badly than lose beautifully I guess, I hope this wasn't England's best play, I only saw the last 25 minutes but the team looked tired and unispired.

Yeah definately knackered and not with it. It was too hot, so they got tired. Also Sven made 2 shit substitutions, we need Rooney back, and the first game is always slow. So good thing we got 3 points, but needs to get better :)

We *should* beat Trinidad and Tobago so a draw against Sweden will be more than good enough to put us through to the second round. Then we should have Roony back. In some ways the Paraguay game was the hardest and most important of the group stages given how it's the first match and could have set the tone for their whole campaign. As it stands we won so that's good.

England were nervy as hell the second half, If Sven can't get more out of this group of players he's sealed it in my mind that he's a no good manager.

Only saw the 2nd half. That wasn't especially entertaining. I'd expected more from Crouch. Beckham was a nice surprise. He actually played quite well I thought. Altho he made some blunders near the end.

England's attack on the whole was lacklustre.
They should have crushed Paraguay in the first half when they had the chance.

Lampard needs to put more bend on his kicks. He had some awesome cracks.

But Paraguay were fairly terrible. Way too much posing for frees and they seemed to have absolutely no structure when going forward.

Notice the spin on the ball from Beckhams kicks? Seems to orbit some bizzarre axis.

0-0 in half-time. We need to move more. Some players are just standing there, waiting for something. We need to push on and keep attacking.

0-0 so far, Sweden coming forward looking very dangerous with some good chances, but T&T are holding their own and will be happy with that at half-time. Sweden have gotta come at out and attack now so expect some action in the 2nd half :D

Hectic Glenn said:
0-0 so far, Sweden coming forward looking very dangerous with some good chances, but T&T are holding their own and will be happy with that at half-time. Sweden have gotta come at out and attack now so expect some action in the 2nd half :D
The coach must have a serious talk with the team now. We can do better than this, I assure you.

Ok I’m a Jock but hey, watched the game. Come on guys it was a really bad game. Where is all the passion?

Despite it all I really do wish England well but with the talent at your disposal you should be walking all over teams like Paraguay.

(And please, please stop mentioning 66, it was 40 years ago.)

I don't get why Sweden is playing 4-5-1 against a team like T&T. They should really attack more.

Right, 2nd half. And we have a red card already .....

Yeah A.John sent off for a stupid lunge, even though he was on a yellow card already. After all the effort his team have gone to, he's done something as silly as that, now Sweden have a huge chance. If they can't do this i'll be surprised.

If Sweden can't finish this game off sharpish I'll be flabbergasted. T&T are one of the lowest rated teams in the WC, lower than Paraguay...and with 10 men.

Sweden and Trinidad & Tobago is scoreless at the 88th min...wow

I can't believe i went into work at 7:30 this morning so i could get a 2 hr lunch break to watch the england match, was pretty disappointed really. They coulda done so much better imo and the OG was just pure Rofl, along with Para's keeper going off Crying :p funny shit on a whole.

Biggest upset of the WC so far. Absolutely astonishing. I think T&T have proven themselves a team that you shouldn't take forgranted...England, take note.

mortiz said:
Biggest upset of the WC so far. Absolutely astonishing. I think T&T have proven themselves a team that you shouldn't take forgranted...England, take note.

Hislop was absolutely amazing.

Shakermaker said:
Oh my god. Sweden = PWNED
T&T ftw
Don Leo ftw

I was gonna say that!

holy crap, I love the Swedish team for their superb play (Ibrahimovic and Larsson ftw) but why the hell did they leave so much defenders in against 10 lower rated players?

RoyaleWithCheese said:
why the hell did they leave so much defenders in against 10 lower rated players?

heheheh, Evert ten Napel (the dutch commentator) was constantly complaining about that. He went wild in the end. "Sweden should be ashamed!!!"

Passion and Pride of their country took T&T through, i'm so pleased for them, its like a win! (very good for england too!) Sweden have been equaled by two small islands who will party the night away, what a game! One of the best so far.

Argentina vs Ivory Coast a bit later, going to be AWESOME

Hectic Glenn said:
Argentina vs Ivory Coast a bit later, going to be AWESOME

Yeah, interesting game. They're in the group with Holland (ftw). Maybe Ivory Coast will do a big stunt too.

The judge was a joke. He added 3 minutes, shit. Only the substitutes was 3 minutes, and then the T&T players went crying when they're not injured at all. One guy was laying in the field for 1 minute, 30 seconds later he was running full speed after a ball.

Hypnosos said:
The judge was a joke. He added 3 minutes, shit. Only the substitutes was 3 minutes, and then the T&T players went crying when they're not injured at all. One guy was laying in the field for 1 minute, 30 seconds later he was running full speed after a ball.

The Judge!? Omg! I didn't see any balifs.

I'd expect Argentina and Holland to go through. I'm a quarter dutch, so i have a soft spot for the oranges, but they always underachieve in competition, their team looks so good on paper.:( If we take Argentina as group winners and the battle between Ivory Coast and Holland, you should do it, but they are tough cookies with Drogba, Eboue and Toure, so you got a fight. Which is why i can't wait for them to clash with the Argies :D

Right. And the red card for T&T was caused by swedish player doing the same thing. Get over it, it's part of the game

Hectic Glenn said:
I'd expect Argentina and Holland to go through. I'm a quarter dutch, so i have a soft spot for the oranges, but they always underachieve in competition, their team looks so good on paper.:( If we take Argentina as group winners and the battle between Ivory Coast and Holland, you should do it, but they are tough cookies with Drogba, Eboue and Toure, so you got a fight. Which is why i can't wait for them to clash with the Argies :D

Not true, the last 3 tournaments we came to quarterfinal (euro 2004) semifinal (euro2000 and wc 98)

okay, wc 2002 we weren't there, but other than that a lot of people tend to forget that we come very far even if it doesn't always look to good.

RoyaleWithCheese said:
Not true, the last 3 tournaments we came to quarterfinal (euro 2004) semifinal (euro2000 and wc 98)

okay, wc 2002 we weren't there, but other than that a lot of people tend to forget that we come very far even if it doesn't always look to good.

It's the same with Germany. In WC 2002 they had a distinctly average side but they still managed to get to the final.

I don't think you need a great team to win the WC, you just need to know how to win it through being gritty and nicking the odd goal here and there. A string of 1-0 victories and the odd penaly shootout will get you there. Of course Brazil have a great team AND know how to win.

Don't get me wrong, i'm a fan and supporter of Holland, i sit there cheering them on with my Opa and Oma, yes indeed you do get to quarter and semi-finals, but i'm talking about finals and wins. I've always thought the ability in the dutch teams has been phenominal and they should have won something. And yeah, lets not talk of 2002.

mortiz said:
It's the same with Germany. In WC 2002 they had a distinctly average side but they still managed to get to the final.

I don't think you need a great team to win the WC, you just need to know how to win it through being gritty and nicking the odd goal here and there. A string of 1-0 victories and the odd penaly shootout will get you there. Of course Brazil have a great team AND know how to win.
exactly. Italy being one example too. Mostly they play defensively and try to counter quickly. Very often they score in the final stage of the game. When they have to perform, their true quality shines through, I wish they would show that more often, other than frustrating the spectators with their cowardly play

Hectic Glenn said:
cheering them on with my Opa and Oma
lol, you really are (partly)Dutch, right? Because Opa/Oma are typical Dutch words for Granny and Granddad

Of course i am, thats what i meant. They are from the hague in the glorious west! I call them that :) I'll have to remind them Holland are playing tomorrow but we'll still be cheering them on over here.

Wtf is wrong with the team? Everything they did was wrong, the defence, the attacks, the finish... It seemed like every single pass went wrong. And T&T only had 10 players for the entire 2nd period!

If this is the best we can do, we don't deserve to be in this tournament.

Perhaps the Swedish coach had organized crime threatening him :D

Apparently you could turn your 1 euro into 1000 if you had bet on T&T ;p

Back