2006 FIFA World Cup Football Tournament

I've money on Holland winning 2-0 - so one more goal and no more!!

(I also had some cash on Argentina winning 3-1 yesterday. Was not happy when that goal was disallowed :/)

1-0 in half-time, although I think it will end up with 2-1 to Holland.

Good first half. We're in control. Robben was on fire. I hope Van Persie will get some more chances in the 2nd half.

PvtRyan said:
Lol, what was that, shoving the ref? :D

hehehe, that's the 2nd time this tournament. Happened yesterday as well.

The Dutch look amazing. They are playing so well together. This is how soccer should be played.
NED vs ARG = awesome matchup in Group C

If the Dutch keep this level of play up, they will go very, very far in the tourney.

kirovman said:
Yeah, every country is paying attention to this. Even the ones that didn't qualify.
my country didnt qualified but everyone is hooked

woohoo! 3 points are in the pocket, goddamn that was a nervous wrecking 2nd half

<RJMC> said:
my country didnt qualified but everyone is hooked
Hey mate I was in your country in 2000, you call the Dutch "la machina Naranja" right? Beautiful country and really nice people, I'd like to go back there sometime

Adidajs said:
The Dutch look amazing. They are playing so well together. This is how soccer should be played.
NED vs ARG = awesome matchup in Group C

If the Dutch keep this level of play up, they will go very, very far in the tourney.

I hope you're right. 'We' were in total control. Robben was amazing.

Robben is my favourite dutch player, and he did really good today. Although the 2nd half was painful for Holland :( Held onto the 1-0 though, reminded me of the similar situation with England and paraguay yesterday. Looked good coming forward, tad shakey at the back though. Good start overall.

Hectic Glenn said:
Robben is my favourite dutch player, and he did really good today. Although the 2nd half was painful for Holland :( Held onto the 1-0 though, reminded me of the similar situation with England and paraguay yesterday. Looked good coming forward, tad shakey at the back though. Good start overall.

yeah, there were a couple scares for the Dutch defense, but i remember one awesome play where the Dutch defender split two strikers right in front of the goal. great defensive play.

holland played fairly well, i expected a tiny bit more, though i think there were 2 or 3 shots in particular that were incredibly close, the last one was that left foot by robben.

how timezones suck, the world cup is killing my sleeping habits.

Robben is my favourite dutch player
Robben is just about my favourite player full stop! He was a class above everyone on the field today, total freak.

Next match Iran vs Mexico.

Don't know much about either team.

Holland looked damn shakey second half.

hopefully it's just the heat.

I can tell you, Iran vs U.S. is going to be a grudge match.

The Dutch played well, in the first half. A GREAT goal from Robben.Bit shaky second half

Maybe it was the heat, I heard on the radio the FA have complained to FIFA about players not getting enough water during the afternoon games.

baxter said:
Need to play better ?Jesus, They need to play like world champions and not a team that simply gives up just because they have a one goal lead and it is too hot.
It's the same very single tournament they go into, all full of hope and glory, singing along to Baddiel and Skinner “Footballs coming home". It's not mate, it left here years ago and went abroad. Europe, South America and now Africa have laid claim to football, we have been left standing on the side line. I know Scotland are shite, we never even made it, England did, if you want to believe they will go the entire way fine,ok, I'll cheer you along.

Infact I'll go so far as to say I will dance naked round my garden singing "Vindalou", photograph myself and post the snaps here if England win. I'll even do it if they reach the final. Would you if they don’t?

I'm not saying we'll win it, but going on talent in the team alone there're not many teams better than us. The only one I would say that has the upper hand as far as density of good players is Brazil. So we have as much a chance as anyone, if Sven comes through and motivates the players and doesn't make stupid decisions as far as substitutes. As far as the heat goes it shouldn't be an issue anymore since the rest of Englands games in the World Cup will at least start at 6:00.

Again winning it is unlikely, however there're not many teams with a better chance. It's just taking those chances.

Ok, we'll see what their next match brings, they have no excuses, they have the talent, the skill and it will be an evening kick off.

Believe me I really do want England to do well, I really want them to go out there and show the rest of the world what they can do.

It's not about winning it's about putting up a good fight and doing themselves proud rather than turning out poor performances. The best team will win this tournament, but sometimes the best praise goes to those who gave it their all.

Watching Mexico vs Iran atm...

As for England's performance: the plain fact is we didn't score any goals, and despite the hyperbolaic praise from the commentary it was a lucky break that won it for us against a pretty mediocre Paraguay team. England's problem has been the same for nearly a decade - we can only play a 55-60 minute match and then we get bored, slack off, and sit ridiculously deep in our half without pressing the ball. Rewatch our performances in every major competition in recent memory and you'll see the same phenomenon.

I hate Rooney's attitude, but at the same time we need fiery players like him to inspire the team to keep at it. A bit of the same spark in our manager would be even better.

baxter said:
Hey mate, don't take this the wrong way but you do know that the USA is actually in the World cup don't you?

Lol, the USA team gets about as much recognition in the states as our olympic curling team.

Just look at our two largest sports coverage companies:

ESPN.com's main page features tennis lol, with a side story about soccer.
Sports Illustrated's main page is featuring hockey right now.

Well thats just the states, the World Cup is the biggest sporting competition across the world, that is recognised by the masses. The states doesn't really care, but the American team has got better and i think its growing in popularity more than anything. But if you guys want to ignore it, thats fine, cos the rest of the world is having the time of their life! :)

it will be funny if the USA won the cup and the people in the usa dont care

american:"fifa world cup?is soccer a real sport? is pussy and gay!"

Hectic Glenn said:
Well thats just the states, the World Cup is the biggest sporting competition across the world, that is recognised by the masses. The states doesn't really care, but the American team has got better and i think its growing in popularity more than anything. But if you guys want to ignore it, thats fine, cos the rest of the world is having the time of their life! :)

Oh for Christ's sake cut the shit. We know it's the most popular sport in the world, yada yada yada. I'm sure if you give it 20 years, it will be pretty popular in the U.S. as it is gaining fans, mostly (IMO) due to the ridiculous amount of soccer programs available for kids in the states now. Soccer is also becoming a pretty popular sport in high school, along with football (American) and baseball. We're not ignoring it so much as it just hasn't caught on here at all. Like the metric system though, we're getting there.

And if the US were to win it, I'm sure no one would know lol. Which would be extremely ironic.

If the U.S.A make the final 4 i'd say the internal interest would skyrocket.

Anyway, go Mexico!! Iran deserves to lose after knocking Australia out of the qualifying for the world cup in 1998. argh!

Mr-Fusion said:
If the U.S.A make the final 4 i'd say the internal interest would skyrocket.

Perhaps, though I think it would still take some years to gain popularity like other countries have. We're very set in our ways. We like football.

Laivasse said:
Watching Mexico vs Iran atm...

As for England's performance: the plain fact is we didn't score any goals, and despite the hyperbolaic praise from the commentary it was a lucky break that won it for us against a pretty mediocre Paraguay team. England's problem has been the same for nearly a decade - we can only play a 55-60 minute match and then we get bored, slack off, and sit ridiculously deep in our half without pressing the ball. Rewatch our performances in every major competition in recent memory and you'll see the same phenomenon.

I hate Rooney's attitude, but at the same time we need fiery players like him to inspire the team to keep at it. A bit of the same spark in our manager would be even better.

couldn't agree more. I really have had high hopes for the Brits, but their performance was lacking. I didn't see much team effort, just some individual performances, like J. Cole.

as for the lack of US interest, I would echo a comment that I think it would take the US getting deep in tournament before they are noticed at home.

mexico 3 - 1 iran

looks like iran won't make the knockout stages, so no ahmadinejad visit to germany

Iran were all right in the first half but they've really slacked off in the second, and their passing has been kind of shoddy all game. Mexico are 3-1 up and still attacking. Let that be a lesson to teams who get lazy and try to settle for a draw or even a 1 goal lead!

Iran played great in the first half, in the second Mexico returned and got a well-earned victory.

Good cup. I'm happy that the stadiums have real fans, not coreans dressed in other team shirts...if you know what I mean....

Right now I'm kind of pissed that "big teams" are wining small teams by 1 lucky goal ( England, Netherlands etc etc).

Did any one see the swedee game vs Trinidad and Tobago? fantastic game, Trinidad was only in the defence, but they managed to draw the game. When the referee signaled the end of the game, they celebrated as like they had won the game ! The goal keeper who was actually the bench keeper was great.

All I want, is that Brasil dons't win the freaking game, its getting boring with them. Allez les Bleus !

Yeah i think most of us saw the Sweden and T&T game, if you go back in this thread we've analysed pretty much every game so far i think hehe. I was very happy they got that draw.

I wouldn't be pissed off the big teams are winning by small margins, its because its all they need to do. The first game is always very slow usually. I always love the underdog (within reason!). But yes, i agree its been a really good cup so far. Games tomorrow guys:

Australia vs Japan
USA vs Czech Republic
Italy vs Ghana

All worth the watch i'd say.

Robben was awesome today

Robben Robben Robben Robben Robben Robben Robben Robben Robben Robben Robben Robben Robben Robben Robben Robben

GO NETHERLANDS !!!

Angola vs Portugal was so boring and Ronaldo was eeky

Hectic Glenn said:
Games tomorrow guys:

Australia vs Japan
USA vs Czech Republic
Italy vs Ghana

All worth the watch i'd say.
especially the australia vs japan one. ;)

yeah I'm having to go in early to make time to catch the Japan/Aus game. freaking 2pm kickoffs

well, they're sounding pretty good especially so after they won that asia cup some time recently (yeah, vague i know.. just woke up. :x).

it'll be a tough match but australia's last few matches (like vs greece & holland) have been really well played, so, it'll be a fairly even match but i think australia has a high chance of winning. :)

nofx said:
Angola vs Portugal was so boring and Ronaldo was eeky
I missed most of that match and didnt see it till he came off. What do you mean by eeky?

Back