2006 FIFA World Cup Football Tournament

3-1...Japan pissed it away, playing like England. But well deserved for Australia.

My ass. Japan were clearly better than the Aussies for 80 mins.

(i'm just bitter cause I lost 2 quid :/)

****ing Yesss!!!

Go Australia!!!!!

Timmy Cahill You Champion :d :d:d:d:d:d

Holy shit, i can't believe that game, that was awesome. Japan invited that continual attacking from Australia but to get those 3 goals was fantastic, that showed real determination. Really well done to the Oz boys, great finish!

I feel sorry for Japan now, Australia were definitely not 3-1 better than Japan. That's the nature of the game I guess, it's weird to think that 6 minutes before time Australia were still 1 down.

Japan had piss poor delivery all through the game, with crosses flying into orbit. They built up well but were too content to sit back and be attacked after they got their jammy goal - that's England-style all over.

Australia on the other hand connected well and passed beautifully. You can't afford to give a team like that so much space in your own half, because, frankly, you're asking for 3 goals in 6 minutes.

australia won that match damn well, japan had some good runs and on [their] right they had a ton of good opportunities since aus was pushing alot, but they choked every time.

hiddink and the aus team really picked it up in the second half, as they were saying on sbs, the first half hiddink had quite a few players out of position but corrected his mistakes.. though, it was good to bring aloisi/cahill in later, so they were fresh off the bench and had that extra 'oomph.'

anyone know somewhere to download the match ? high-def would be nice..

brazil next in 7 days. D:

To the football pros, should Schwarzer have recieved a free kick for the first Japanese goal? Are you allowed to block the goalkeeper out of it like that?

He's 6'5" and he should be dominating his 6 yard box by coming out and punching it into orbit. He misjudged the flight of the ball, got his positioning wrong, putting him in a place where he was never going to win the ball. He realises it and falls over easily hoping for a free kick. So its not a free kick, a striker is more than entitled to go for the ball, but keepers usually have nothing to worry about with their height and their arms stretched above their head too. But no need to worry about it! Comeback was real class.

Well Japan did have a shout for a penalty. I'm of the personal opinion that Schwarzer was fouled so things balanced themselves out, but if you think he simply mis-judged the kick then you'd have to say Japan were hard done by.

Mr-Fusion said:
To the football pros, should Schwarzer have recieved a free kick for the first Japanese goal? Are you allowed to block the goalkeeper out of it like that?

It's pretty controversial. You're not allowed to intentionally block out the keeper, but in theory if it's a 50:50 ball then it's fair game to jump for it and whoever gets it, gets it.

However what most often happens is that the ref gives it the keeper's way and everyone mutters and mumbles about how the keeper has been lucky. When, rarely, a foul is not given, they start muttering about how maybe it was a foul because normally the decision would have gone the keeper's way. But you can't have it both ways... I don't think there was much obstruction there, if anything it was cancelled out by the Japanese guy getting shoved into the goalie by another Australian defender. I'm all for letting the keeper fend for himself; they've got the advantage of their arm length, so they shouldn't need all the officials on their side, treating them like the Virgin Mother as well.

Ah, forgot about the Czech Rep game! I've been wanting to see how the Czechs do. No offense, Merkins, but they've been one of my favourites for a while so that's where my support lies...

EDIT: 5 minutes in and it's 1-0 to Czech Rep! Koller header.

The States better watch out or they're gonna get dismantled.

EDIT2: 2-0! Rosicky skeelz. It's against the run of play really, the US have had some good movement and have even hit the post. Even so, it's not looking at all good.

What a strike from Rosicky. Canneh wait to see what he gets up to at the Emirates next season. :D

Ouch, nasty injury to the czech striker though, I wonder how it'll affect them second half? It's sure to be a major confidence blow.

They were always gonna get hammered. Usa are a decent team but they just dont have the quality to compete with the genuine world class sides.

The Czechs played very well. They might get far this tournament. They're at least a semi-final contender.

Yeah, I remember enjoying all their matches back in 2004. Rosicky impressed back then, too. Just a shame they lost Koller today.

Well done to Australia, only caught the last half but they did well.

The Czech's looked mighty impressive.

Tonight, Italy 3 maybe 4 nil.

The Czechs would've gotten far if their best player hadn't been injured.

missed all the matches again :( oh well highlights again i guess.

DeusExMachina said:
Ghana and Italy are playing pretty good.

Toni just had a hell of a chance. I am to and fro'ing from my rig to my tv and back.

This game is great so far, chances at both ends every few seconds.

WAAAARGH Ghana just missed a SITTER

Both Italy and Ghana played really well in the first half, great match so far.

That's how football is supposed to be played! I loved both teams, but I think that Ghana deserves a goal. I think it will end up 1-1.

The Monkey said:
The Czechs would've gotten far if their best player hadn't been injured.

isnt he going to be back later on in the world cup?

Back