BF2 Thread

Can someone answer my question please?

I want a 6600gt for my computer, however I have a 300w PSU. Will I be able to run a 6600gt on it?

I have seen the XFX site about the power needs for this card. It says both 300w and 450w. So which one do I need?

Nabobalis said:
Can someone answer my question please?

I want a 6600gt for my computer, however I have a 300w PSU. Will I be able to run a 6600gt on it?

I have seen the XFX site about the power needs for this card. It says both 300w and 450w. So which one do I need?
I doubt a 300w would work, but I don't know too much about this kind of stuff.

http://www.jscustompcs.com/power_supply/
maybe that will help.

AmishSlayer said:
And copious amounts of insane jealousy ensues :flame:
Ya, too bad HL2.net doesn't review games...

Hmm should be OK when my 6800GT gets here, but I can't believe this game is going to be so demanding. I just hope that people were playing older builds where things weren't as optimised.

Oh, and who the hell is Bossman? :p

Foxtrot said:
Ya, too bad HL2.net doesn't review games...

well Im going to have to step up and accept that position for Hl2.net then, it only seems right.
:D

Less chitchat more BF2

Here's a write up by a clan member who had the chance 2 sample the game.

Instead of writing a review (there are now many of those, and are written far better than I possibly could), I will attempt to answer some of the questions that have been asked with regard to BF2. They will be divided up into categories, and I will hopefully cover these questions within them. I have also been told by the EA rep that I am welcome to pass on some of the unanswered questions to him, so that he can get some answers from the EA techs. I will be taking advantage of this and posting any subsequent information.

Play-test PC specs

The $64,000 question seems to be “will BF2 run on my PC?” This is obviously a difficult question to answer simply, however I was able to take down the specs of the PC that was used during the EA play-test:

CPU: P4 3.2Ghz
RAM: 1Gb
HDD speed: 7200RPM
Video: ATI Radeon X800 Pro 256Mb
Sound: (soz, didn’t take this down)
O/S: Win XP SP2
Connection: LAN (I did confirm that we were playing on a LAN and not internet)

The game resolution settings were 1024 x 768. All BF2 Graphics detail was set to “Medium”. Anti-Aliasing was turned off, and view distance was set to 95%.

I was informed by the EA Rep that the graphics were set to “medium” because on “high”, the graphics were slow. Having said this though, the build version we were playing on was 4-5 months old, so it’s quite possible that the final build that ships will have tighter and more efficient code (EDIT: Correction, code was 5 WEEKS old, but new builds were being done almost every day). I can say though that even on Medium, BF2 outclasses anything I have seen in terms of game graphics to date. This includes your Half Life 2’s and Far Cry’s. My gut feel is that EA are setting the graphics bar high with BF2 in order to get some longevity out of the game, so that 12-18 months down the track, it will still be considered a “high-detail” game, and able to compete well with new games released at that time.

Make of this what you will, however I do believe that many may need to upgrade to a current spec video card in order to get the kind of graphics quality you have come to anticipate from the game (eg. through seeing the screenshots and watching the videos). My advice though is to wait until the demo is released and make up your own minds. Speaking of which….

“When will the demo be released? Can you give me some details?”

Another couple of commonly asked questions. I can say that at this stage EA will be releasing the demo for download from the U.S. on Friday 10th June. This will most likely equate to Sat 11th June Aus. time. I do not have any information on a specific release time, only the date at this stage.

With regard to the demo itself. It will have more than one map and WILL be multiplayer. I have no information at this stage of any Australian servers that well be hosting the demo server-side for multiplayer action, however it’s quite likely that there may be US servers available at the time of the demo’s release. That’s about all the info I have regarding the demo at this stage.

Game Physics

Overall, I found these to be very realistic. Blowing up a moving vehicle won’t send it cart-wheeling off madly like it’s made of polystyrene, but there is some momentum there. Enough to remind you that you’ve just blown something big and heavy up. It seemed just about right.

Map Sizes

For the play-test, the server was set up for 32 player map sizes. The EA rep explained to me that the reasoning behind this was so that we could see all aspects of the map and everything it had to offer. This was great, however, with 8 PCs (4v4), the maps were overwhelming. Way too big, as a matter of fact. At 32 player, they are easily equivalent or larger than the largest 1942/DC maps (El Al, Bocage etc.), and much more densely populated with buildings/structures etc. IMHO a 12v12 comp would be ok on a 32 player map. A 14v14 (including Commanders), would be brilliant.

Game Play

You know the natural cover and camouflage we were all hoping for in BF:V but didn’t get? Well hold on people, because I’m here to tell you that in BF2, it’s very difficult to see your enemy. There is more than enough natural foliage, and also urban sprawl to hide in and about. Add to this the camouflaged uniforms that are standard kit on your average soldier, as well as different lighting effects, depending where you are, and there is a real challenge there.

Teamwork teamwork teamwork. Pretty much all the reviews I’ve read have said that this will be an integral part of the game. This is absolutely, unequivocally true. Being a lone-wolf, or a tard will only get you so far within the game. When you need ammo or first aid, you’re screwed. It’s as simple as that. Get used to forming squads and working as a team, even in pubs. I cannot stress this enough. You will extract much much more from the game by working in a squad.

Aircraft questions: Regarding all matters aircraft, I will leave these questions to TBI Major Damage, and TBI Corporal Punishment, who were both also present at the play-test this afternoon. Being two of the best pilots in DC, I think they’re much better qualified to answer these questions than myself. I will say however, that guns and missiles are the order of the day for most aircraft I saw. Something else interesting to note is that there is some very effective AA. One vehicle in particular looked a little like a DC Pantsyr. It was equipped with quad .50 cal guns as primary fire, and had Heat-seeking missiles for secondary. The heat-seekers mean that you have to keep the aircraft/helo in the target reticle for about 3-4 seconds to get a lock before firing. Doesn’t sound like much, but it’s very different when you have an aircraft flying overhead towards you at a great rate of knots.

Infantry Classes

Assault or Medic? Assault has an M16 with grenade launcher, Medic has an M16 without. Assault has frag grenades, Medic has smoke. Assault has body armour, Medic has the ability to heal himself and others. I think there’s enough difference between these classes to provide a challenge.

Anti-Armour: a very useful class, more so now in BF2, as there is a heavy vehicle emphasis. You won’t have to go far before encountering an enemy vehicle that’s just crying out to go “KaBoom”! Whilst there are fixed mounted rockets dotted about the map, it will still be incredibly useful to have an anti-armour kitted soldier in the squad to “pop-up” and take out that pesky vehicle.

Spec-Ops: This is one of the most interesting classes in the game. As mentioned in Freewheelin’s review, Spec-Ops soldiers are invisible to Commander “scans”. They are also the only class to be equipped with C4, which coincidentally is the only weapon that will destroy a Commander’s radar hut, or artillery emplacement. I think we’re all seeing the true purpose behind the Spec-Ops now….that is, to sneak into enemy territory and cut the legs out from under the Commander.

Sniper: The rifles are more powerful and in that sense, now better reflect their real-world counter-parts. Add to this claymore mines, and an amazingly effective Ghilli suit and you have a very effective and capable class. Rifles shoot in semi-auto and un-scope to reload (same as DC). There is no lead to speak of, but I’m unsure of this on internet play. Another important thing to note that has been touched on in previous write-ups is that helo cockpits are now susceptible to a sniper’s bullet. I was able to view this first hand when I saw a helo hovering about 200m from my position. I dropped to prone and fired off half a dozen shots in quick succession, and was rewarded by a kill and to see the helo drop gracefully to the ground and explode. Quite satisfying. As one who has chosen the sniper class as a primary calling within DC, and have attempted to excel in it, I am both happy and dismayed by the sniper class in BF2. On one hand, it is a well balanced kit. One the other, with the lack of scope-sway and no real bullet-lead required, I can envisage it becoming a real n00b-cannon, and seeing every man and his dog jumping on-line for the first time and making a bee-line right for this class. Sure it happens now, but I predict that it will be much more prevalent in BF2. I really hope I’m wrong here, but….

Is the game worth it? IMHO, yes. The developers have gone to great lengths to provide a balanced, playable game with something for pretty much everyone. I went into this playtest with some pretty high expectations, and a lot of questions, and I was not disappointed. My advice again is to download the demo and make up your own minds, but I personally will be placing my pre-order tomorrow (yes I’ve held off until this point).

I think that’s about enough from me for the moment. As I mentioned, I’ll pass on some of these other questions to the EA techies for response and I’ll post again with the results.

Cheers, hope this helped.

Mr. Redundant said:
well Im going to have to step up and accept that position for Hl2.net then, it only seems right.
:D
Lol, leakz the game!

Bah.

Now I'm wondering whether it's worth it to go from the x800xl to the 6800 gt for an extra $90 on my new comp that I'm gonna buy because I hear that no ati cards support pixel shader 3.0 and new geforce's do...

AmishSlayer said:
Bah.

Now I'm wondering whether it's worth it to go from the x800xl to the 6800 gt for an extra $90 on my new comp that I'm gonna buy because I hear that no ati cards support pixel shader 3.0 and new geforce's do...
I got my 6800 GT for $400.

eh?

taken from a www.planetbattlefield.com newspost

Ganondorf from EA Play Australia has posted information about the demo. I do remind you that this isn't 100% solid and set in stone.

Although final dates for the Battlefield 2 demo have not been locked down we understand we will be allowed to make it available in little over a week. Once again these features are NOT 100% final but the demo will contain:

One map
16-player single player
16 and 32-player multiplayer
Time limit per round
EA Play Australia

Foxtrot said:
I got my 6800 GT for $400.

I got my 9800 pro (128mb) the week it came out, cost me around 500 bucks :p

Foxtrot said:
Yup, so that still means about the 10th for the demo.
yep, but I thought they said it would be more than one map (although I am in no way complaining)

Mr. Redundant said:
yep, but I thought they said it would be more than one map (although I am in no way complaining)
That could mean 1 multiplayer map and 1 single player, like BF1942 was...or was BF1942 just 1 map?

Foxtrot said:
That could mean 1 multiplayer map and 1 single player, like BF1942 was...or was BF1942 just 1 map?
I believe it was one map (Wake)
and I seriously think it's one map period, just that we will be able to play a 16 player game with bots (same map, smaller play area, remember maps are scaleable) while we can go to 32 (half the max map size) players online.

so in essence two maps (if you look at it that way)

the thing that sucks is, you won't be able to practice flying SP, in this demo... as the 16 player map size is close combat (watch the 29 min area51 vid) and does not include the US carrier with the planes and chopper.

Mr. Redundant said:
I believe it was one map (Wake)
and I seriously think it's one map period, just that we will be able to play a 16 player game with bots 16 players (same map, smaller play area, remember maps are scaleable) while we can go to 32 (half the max map size) players online.

so in essence two maps (if you look at it that way)
Ah that reminds me, BF1942 was two maps. The single was some desert map (Brits against Germans) and the multiplayer was wake. I heard 32 is massive too.

Foxtrot said:
Ah that reminds me, BF1942 was two maps. The single was some desert map (Brits against Germans) and the multiplayer was wake. I heard 32 is massive too.

I believe that map was added to the demo later down the pipeline, in fact Im almost certain. (I played the demo extensively, when my old comp was trash)

Foxtrot said:
Low to medium I am guessing :( more on the low side

Thanks.

Just an unrelated noobish question, does the type of screen on any way change the performance?

The_Monkey said:
Thanks.

Just an unrelated noobish question, does the typre of screen on any way change the performance?
Not at all.

GOLD!! AHHHHHHHHHH!

http://www.gamershell.com/news/22475.html

Release Tuesday, June 21, 2005 AHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!

I know i'll hate this game, but im still going to buy it so I can slate it to s**t ;)

P.S. Sorry if it was mentioned just get to hell if you think im looking through the last 70 pages when it doesn't show you when the posted date was

Foxtrot said:

BF1942 was actually 2 separate demos

The first was SP only - That was Tobruk (sp?) and had only land vehicles. Then some people from the MP beta found a way to kinda hack the demo and allow play on Wake Island (no bots) for demo folks.

Later a Wake Island MP demo came out.

I'm looking at the various 6800GT cards on newegg. What's the major difference between the various brands? I see BFG has 20mhz faster core clock speed and 2 DVI's (que?) instead of just 1. The price difference ends up being like $60 between the cheapest 6800GT and most expensive.

AmishSlayer said:
BF1942 was actually 2 separate demos

The first was SP only - That was Tobruk (sp?) and had only land vehicles. Then some people from the MP beta found a way to kinda hack the demo and allow play on Wake Island (no bots) for demo folks.

Later a Wake Island MP demo came out.

I'm looking at the various 6800GT cards on newegg. What's the major difference between the various brands? I see BFG has 20mhz faster core clock speed and 2 DVI's (que?) instead of just 1. The price difference ends up being like $60 between the cheapest 6800GT and most expensive.
The BFG tech IMO is the best.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=6684652&type=product&id=1083712392168

AH_Viper said:
GOLD!! AHHHHHHHHHH!

http://www.gamershell.com/news/22475.html

Release Tuesday, June 21, 2005 AHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!

I know i'll hate this game, but im still going to buy it so I can slate it to s**t ;)

P.S. Sorry if it was mentioned just get to hell if you think im looking through the last 70 pages when it doesn't show you when the posted date was
Yea was mentioned early yesterday. Oldnewsbaby.com!

AmishSlayer said:
Woah, first of all that's agp and I need pci-e but even the pci-e version is cheaper than newegg's even with shipping

Ohhhh...scratch that...Best Buy.com is gonna tax me. Back to newegg :p
When I got mine best buy was the only place to get it, but there is also a $40 rebate.

Foxtrot said:
When I got mine best buy was the only place to get it, but there is also a $40 rebate.

For the agp card yeah, but the pci-e card doesn't have that $40 rebate :(

enybody knows will SM3.0 be fully supported in bf2?
i must make my mind, will i take x800XL or 6800GT ( GT is 50 £ more)

AmishSlayer said:
For the agp card yeah, but the pci-e card doesn't have that $40 rebate :(
Just get it from newegg.com then, they are the best :thumbs:

6800gt, and Leadtek's a good brand. Avoid Gigabyte, that cooling system looks cool, but absolutely sux.
btw, from what ive read, people with these new cards (6600gts, x800pros, and maybe even 6800gts) will only be running at medium-high spec, not maxing out the engine at all, if they want decent framerates. (apparently looks amazing regardless)

J_Tweedy said:
6800gt, and Leadtek's a good brand. Avoid Gigabyte, that cooling system looks cool, but absolutely sux.
btw, from what ive read, people with these new cards (6600gts, x800pros, and maybe even 6800gts) will only be running at medium-high spec, not maxing out the engine at all, if they want decent framerates. (apparently looks amazing regardless)

Ok, now the question is...is the difference between the BFG 6800GT and the Leadtek 6800GT big enough to merit an extra $40?

EDIT: It seems that the Leadtek is the choice to make if I would OC it... Is it easy to OC a gfx card? I don't know how, so I wouldn't wanna risk it without consulting lots 'o help first. I'll have extra case fans on my comp to help with cooling and circulation...if that means anything.

antimatter said:
"The file you tried to download could not be found."

There's a link from earlier in this thread. It's from yesterday but it's a good vid.

Back