Crysis news/info thread

http://blogs.nvidia.com/developers/2007/05/crytek_last_wee.html

crytek_parallax_occlusion_mapping.png

One of the most difficult things about writing into a blog is that so much of what I see and what we get involved in cant be written about. Last week I was in Frankfurt, Germany with Avni, Cevat and Faruk Yerli of Crytek. I really enjoy working with the Crytek guys. In a cynical world its nice to be able to work with people that really care about their art and their story.

Crysis is looking good. I really cant reveal details but its coming on wonderfully. And there are some great surprises coming too. This is one of those rare games where you actually a book a day or two off work just to be able to shut the front door, turn off the phone and immerse yourself in the game. Its going to be that good. We are working now with EA to be able to tell some more about where the game is at very soon.

And to think thats effectively just flat sheets...dear god what an age we live in.

Indeed, as soon as there is a concrete release date then I will be making plans to upgrade, too soon and you can almost guarantee you'll be spending too much money, especially considering those who want to play it in dx10. Just think how much cheaper the 8800 range will be in several months or more considering Crysis will most likely get released in September to December time.

Indeed, as soon as there is a concrete release date then I will be making plans to upgrade, too soon and you can almost guarantee you'll be spending too much money, especially considering those who want to play it in dx10. Just think how much cheaper the 8800 range will be in several months or more considering Crysis will most likely get released in September to December time.

Not much cheaper.

Not much cheaper? you might have to elaborate on that a bit more. The Nvidia 8800 range has already come down atleast 100 pounds in price since last November. When you add the combined decrease in price of every component it becomes significantly cheaper.

Dunno if they're new to you guys, but I just saw these on another forum. DX9-10 comparisons.

http://www.gametrailers.com/player.php?id=19965&type=wmv

http://www.gametrailers.com/player.php?id=19967&type=wmv

All I noticed was more shadows + sunbeams in the 1st vid and rain + fire movement in the 2nd. Videos should've been on a set track with the same events for good comparison. The dx9 Hunter section was less than 50% of what was shown in the dx10 vid (time-wise that is).

Also, why can't they show rain + a few pieces of debris in dx9? It's not like the rain was super-amazing or anything.

It almost felt like they turned the settings down on the Hunter vid for dx9. There aren't any large shadows from the large piles of debris (or maybe it's just the completely different angle) and it looks like the texture on the ground is lower-res.

EDIT: These videos are definitely rigged - Especially the Hunter vid. There's more geometry, content and good textures in the DX10 (and rain :|). DX9 looks like an alpha.

Nice videos. The 1st one had a lot more foliage for DX10 than 9. It almost looked like a different scene but the same trees were there.

I?m getting a new computer for this, STALKER and SC2 this winter. Nice.

As if SC2 will demand a new computer!:LOL:
SC2 looks just like WC3 with shaders thrown ontop, it wouldn't be unlike Blizzard to reuse alot of old code.

God I cant wait for this game!!!!!!! Im definitely getting a DX10 card just for this game!

lol at all the comments. Those videos are a joke. It should have been exactley the same for both of them, so we could compare. They are doing this on purpose to get people to buy a dx10 card, even though what the card actually does for the game is extremely minimal.

Not much cheaper? you might have to elaborate on that a bit more. The Nvidia 8800 range has already come down atleast 100 pounds in price since last November. When you add the combined decrease in price of every component it becomes significantly cheaper.

Haven't you heard about all the price fixing accusations against Nvidia and Ati? besides with Ati flopping like it did with the 2900, nvidia really has no incentive to hurry and drop prices.

Dunno if they're new to you guys, but I just saw these on another forum. DX9-10 comparisons.

EDIT: These videos are definitely rigged - Especially the Hunter vid. There's more geometry, content and good textures in the DX10 (and rain :|). DX9 looks like an alpha.
As you've pointed out, it's a pointless comparisons imo. If they were the exact same footage, I would scrutinize it more. But obviously they spruced up the Dx10 footage: added smoke, threw a grenade, and what not.

If they want true converts, they should provide more applicable benchmarks or perhaps show resolution or framerate information.

I'm sure they will. There's no drawbacks, I mean, if you don't have the hardware, then you can't see the, "pretty lights." No biggie. As long as there's no dramatic gameplay (dis)advantages in either mode, there's no reason for them not to implement them, besides being lazy. DX10 will get more popular as DX10-featured games come out (Crysis?), with the general public, and hardcore gamers alike, seeing the visuals of DX10 versus DX9.

I'm sure they will. There's no drawbacks, I mean, if you don't have the hardware, then you can't see the, "pretty lights." No biggie. As long as there's no dramatic gameplay (dis)advantages in either mode, there's no reason for them not to implement them, besides being lazy. DX10 will get more popular as DX10-featured games come out (Crysis?), with the general public, and hardcore gamers alike, seeing the visuals of DX10 versus DX9.
Except for the fact that they said that they wern't sure what they were gonna do.
Blizzard isn't a company thats big on graphics. They are gameplay-focused and will devote there time and energy to that before anything else.

Haven't you heard about all the price fixing accusations against Nvidia and Ati? besides with Ati flopping like it did with the 2900, nvidia really has no incentive to hurry and drop prices.

D:

Well I'd atleast like to get the best bargain possible for a dx10 machine that can run Crysis at top settings, even if that means waiting till the last minute.

Except for the fact that they said that they wern't sure what they were gonna do.
Blizzard isn't a company thats big on graphics. They are gameplay-focused and will devote there time and energy to that before anything else.

Yes, that's true, but they also have as much time as they need to complete the game. So, short of just not wanting to put the effort into implementing any DX10 goodies, I don't see any other reasons not to.

All I noticed was more shadows + sunbeams in the 1st vid and rain + fire movement in the 2nd. Videos should've been on a set track with the same events for good comparison. The dx9 Hunter section was less than 50% of what was shown in the dx10 vid (time-wise that is).

Also, why can't they show rain + a few pieces of debris in dx9? It's not like the rain was super-amazing or anything.

It almost felt like they turned the settings down on the Hunter vid for dx9. There aren't any large shadows from the large piles of debris (or maybe it's just the completely different angle) and it looks like the texture on the ground is lower-res.

Just to let everyone know, all of the footage shown in those two videos is over a year old.

The DX10 they were showing back then was emulated on DX9 hardware, so it's quite pointless to use these videos to make any sort of judgement.

We may see a more updated version at a later date, once DX10 has been worked out more in Crysis.

Just to let everyone know, all of the footage shown in those two videos is over a year old.

The DX10 they were showing back then was emulated on DX9 hardware, so it's quite pointless to use these videos to make any sort of judgement.

We may see a more updated version at a later date, once DX10 has been worked out more in Crysis.

That is correct!

Im still waiting for that surprise that Chevat yerli promised or was that bogus??? It was siad in a interview a while back that there is a surprise coming soon. How long is soon.

Ah tis true, but then could yee attempt to pick that leaking barrel up and cast it upon yonder persons head, I think ney.

Man that Video is intense. Bloody awesome looking game!

Back