Gordon Freeman is a bumbling idiot

I believe the ending, just is. Imagine trying to explain in Half-Life 3 how anyone survived that explosion? Getting caught up on the semantics as to how they survived would do more harm than good.

The ending just is. They survived because they need to. The lack of answer, really is the answer. It seems to me that Valve has taken a philosophical view with HL2.

While I believe my theory that Gordon is the player, I still believe that Valve has tried actively to fuel these scientific-philosophical-quasireligious discussions purposely.

About the lint on Alyx's jacket, I kinda missed that part in the awe of the moment; seeing this huge explosion stop completely is rather awe inspiring.

I would go with the idea that the G-man could be compassionate for Alyx, taking care of her as has been mentioned before. This could be a subtle reference as to how Alyx survived to be seen again in the expansion.

However, this would also suggest that the G-man is a concrete aspect of the HL2 world; in other words, he is not symbolic of something tangible outside the game, but rather part of the game, as in either being a human, a god or a technologically superior alien.

I'll have to go back to that part of the game to replay it and see how everything unfolds. Maybe then I can give more insight on it.

General Zex said:
I believe the ending, just is. Imagine trying to explain in Half-Life 3 how anyone survived that explosion? Getting caught up on the semantics as to how they survived would do more harm than good.

The ending just is. They survived because they need to. The lack of answer, really is the answer. It seems to me that Valve has taken a philosophical view with HL2.

It is harmful for the narrative causality to just ignore an important piece of the plot, not to mention that it breaks the suspension of disbelief for the player. Saying that they "just survived" would be incredibly stupid - perhaps fit for Doom IV in some campy sense, but completely inappropriate for Half-Life. Neither Gordon nor the player can be kept in dark forever and still expect them to keep interested and motivated.

It would be pretty meh if Alyx was rescued by Gman, something just doesn't seem right. But then, I've always maintained the idea that Gman did not actually stop time itself (because it'd be ludicrous did he do so), and merely altered Gordons perception of time.

Come on guys, "Gman is valve", they "just survived becouse they needed to"
NO! Half life is a valve game, and i can agree with the surviving part, but it will be something telling us how. Alyx maybee got teleported away, i mean it was a big reactor powering a teleport. Or the explosion might have been a small one. Becouse the reactor will go up in flames, but we dont know how soon. But there IS still time.

Gman brushing of Alyx jacket, just showing how cool and ignorant gman is, and being emotionless about the situation.

i've recieved some interesting offers for your services. Ordinarily, I wouldn't contemplate them, but these are extraordinary times".
Gman want something, and he cant get it himself, maybee hes people and the combine has some kind of truse, and they cant show doing something against the combine themself. Thats where gordon fits in.
I belive we will get an explentaion to everything. Half life feels like that kind of game. And it better be.

Valve will definately provide an explanation to Alyx's survival. While I said that G-man could have rescued her, I personally believe that DOG saved her at the last second. I can imagine him climbing up the citadel, jumping up onto the platform at the moment Gordon is teleported away, and snatching Alyx up. Another scenario might be that the force of the explosion threw her back into the control room, and something as simple as a blast shield--triggered by the explosion--came down and shielded her. Or perhaps some other kind of deus ex explanation, like her simply meeting up with you later and commenting, "When the explosion happened, I blacked out...and then somehow I was here."

On Gordon confronting the G-man, I think I should clarify that I did not mean the G-man would literally teleport Gordon into a painful place; it was a play on "put him in a world of hurt." I meant that if Gordon tried to assault the G-man, he'd get a briefcase to the face and have to contend with the awesome powers I believe the G-man to possess.

And Gordon's situation with the G-man is complex because, while he really must be getting tired of being left in the dark (both literally and figuratively), I'm sure that he's aware of how he's benefitted from being in the G-man's employ, and his constant intervention. Not only has he saved Gordon from certain death twice now, but he is also helping Gordon do what he's been wanting to do for most of his life: assist humanity. Of course, he never thought it'd be like this, but it is what he wanted. So I think that Gordon Freeman realizes that confronting the G-man (at least at this point in time) would be a foolish move.

Now, as for getting information out of him, well, even if he demanded it the G-man wouldn't give it to him. He has no reason to tell Gordon anything more than he does. And while Gordon's probably not OK with that, he's going to hold his tongue anyway. That's just how he is. He gets what information people give him, doesn't bother to ask for more, and acts on what he has. Maybe it's because he understands they're only giving him what he needs and he's fine with that, or perhaps he's just not the kind of guy to speak up and demand more information.

And Samon, I still think the G-man's "manipulating" time, at least in the beginning. He's stepping into one moment in time, where the explosion is frozen. He steps in, sets up his sphere of influence on Gordon, the screen flashes, and they're gone--even though Gordon's still glimpsing that shot in time. Lightice, there's no "typical" teleportation effects because the G-man is using something different. Something that allows him to open a door into (seemingly) any place and time he wants, and isolate it. His technology is very subtle, without the need for any flashy lights and sounds.

Lightice said:
It is harmful for the narrative causality to just ignore an important piece of the plot, not to mention that it breaks the suspension of disbelief for the player. Saying that they "just survived" would be incredibly stupid - perhaps fit for Doom IV in some campy sense, but completely inappropriate for Half-Life. Neither Gordon nor the player can be kept in dark forever and still expect them to keep interested and motivated.

Well, at the end of Half-Life, when the player is given the choice to either work with the G-man or fight him and his armies, I chose the latter.

Valve had no problem rescinding player choice in favor of the former, to make Half-Life 2 correct continuity wise. Something they corrected in Half-Life 2 by this G-man quote:

Rather than offer you the illusion of free choice, I will take the liberty of choosing for you, if and when your time comes round again.

As I said, the ending just is. To explain the ending would make it lose its meaning. Gordon was removed from the Citadel, probably put into stasis, as was the result of Half-Life and will await there until further orders.

Alyx on the other hand... I doubt that Dog could climb up the Citadel in time, especially if time is stopped. Altering Gordon's perception of time is not a sufficient explanation.

First off, if it was only one's perception of time, and not time itself, Gordon would have died without a doubt. Time doesn't stop for anyone, regardless of whether or not your brain says it should.

G-man must be outside of time then, if he is able to manipulate it, unless of course he really is just Valve's self integration into Half-Life 2. The dusting of Alxy's jacket is not G-man's ignorance of the situation. He stopped time. He knew damn well what was going on. The huge ball of flame is quite indicative, no matter who you are, of impending doom.

Not only that, G-man's english is superbly eloquent, albeit a tad monotonous. He is surely not ignorant by any stretch and I'd warrant that genius would be an understatement.

General Zex said:
Alyx on the other hand... I doubt that Dog could climb up the Citadel in time, especially if time is stopped.
Considering the time Gordon was in the citadel, it's entirely plausible that Dog was climbing his way up the citadel during that time. He would've had to reach the top at the precise moment of Gordon's teleportation--which, as we know, is an all-too often occurrence.

First off, if it was only one's perception of time, and not time itself, Gordon would have died without a doubt. Time doesn't stop for anyone, regardless of whether or not your brain says it should.
"Time stops for only one man." - G-man, Raising the Bar.

G-man must be outside of time then, if he is able to manipulate it...
Exactly. I believe he operates outside of both time and space, somewhere where he can directly intervene at any place or moment.

A lot of people have trouble with the "G-man stopping time" scenario because it sounds cliche, and makes him too powerful. They also point out things like how he can go transparent, walk on thin air, and mess with Gordon's psyche: showing him the test chamber in BMRF, the Nova Prospekt outpost, and appearing very large or prominently in Gordon's head during parts of his speeches. This leads me to believe that he really is messing with Gordon's mind, but I still feel he really DID "stop time"; he stepped into a single moment of time and space and extracted him.

I like the idea of DOG climbing up the Citadel, it isn't hard to imagine - DOG goes to great effort to save Alyx, and Robin Walker already mentioned that he helps Gordon and Alyx out early on in the game.

When I said Gordons perception of time, I meant as in he steps in, takes Gordon away but leaves Gordon with the image fixed in his head. The idea of him manipulating time itself is just so...meh. I believe he has absolute control over Gordon, and he is very much manipulating Gordons mind.

The problem in the rescue scenario by the Dog is, that that explosion appears to be huge, once it really starts off. Big enough to possibly utterly wreck the top levels of the Citadel. While the Dog could propably get up in time, I see no way how he could grab Alyx in the fraction of second he has and get her away from the explosion's reach. Running away from an explosion just doesn't work. The idea about some sort of blast shields has much more merit, IMO.

As for G-Man stopping the time, I think that at the best he could have stepped outside it to lock Gordon in a single, frozen moment. If he could manipulate time as he wishes, he could have taken Combine down by now, by himself, just by arranging a series of timing-related disasters. Ofcourse if you want to give in-game explanations for off-game happenings, you could say that G-Man manipulates the time every time the players loads the game. :rolleyes:

What says that the explotion is huge? The blast whould probably knock Alyx down, but why does it have to be enormus enough to blow up the top of the citadel?

I agree with Samon, thats the most likely cenario.
"Time stops for one man" Well Gman is a man of metafors and cryptic spech. :p

Soon we will get the answers. I just hope they wont go all wired with the game. Gman isnt valve more than Gordon and Alyx is, Gman is Gman.

Yes, I find alot of people seem to spruce up the explosion more than it needs to be. It isn't the explosion that ultimately destroys City 17, its whatever the Citadel unleashes due to it being in critical meltdown.

The explosion is probably minimal. I can imagine the explosion blowing out, then sucking back in and exploding its way down the reactor spire. Or something to that effect. :p

Lightice said:
As for G-Man stopping the time, I think that at the best he could have stepped outside it to lock Gordon in a single, frozen moment.
Yes, that's how I believe it happened. And from a sci-fi, teleportation standpoint, it makes a great deal of sense; time and space are linked, and if you have the ability to teleport anywhere, it's plausible to teleport to anywhen.

Rizzo89 said:
"Time stops for one man" Well Gman is a man of metafors and cryptic spech.
For once, he wasn't being cryptic. He was being completely candid with Gordon Freeman, and literally meant that time will stop for him. "Time stops for only one man, Mr. Freeman," and then he places you in the traincar, where you see everyone around you frozen momentarily, before time resumes. That's when one of the passengers was supposed to remark, "I didn't see you get on."

In retrospect I'm actually glad they took that out. I always thought it sounded a bit cheesy.

Samon said:
The explosion is probably minimal. I can imagine the explosion blowing out, then sucking back in and exploding its way down the reactor spire. Or something to that effect.
That's exactly how I always saw it in my head, the explosion sending numerous, concussive blasts down the reactor core. Similar to how the primary weapon on the alien ships in Independence Day went up.

Darkside55 said:
That's exactly how I always saw it in my head, the explosion sending numerous, concussive blasts down the reactor core. Similar to how the primary weapon on the alien ships in Independence Day went up.

Bingo. I'm sure thats enough time for Breen to get away from the Reactor as well, seeing as he is actually in the core.

Yes, i realy think Breen survives. It whould be boring if he wasnt in at least episode 1.

I'll be disappointed with episode 1 if Breen isn't in there. He adds so much to the story and creates an interesting conflict as Earths negotiator.

Samon said:
I'll be disappointed with episode 1 if Breen isn't in there. He adds so much to the story and creates an interesting conflict as Earths negotiator.
We'll find out if he's alive at least.

Because of the chance Breen might live? I suppose that also means you're not going to be buying ANY of the other episodes, not if you want the story to make coherent sense. Great, you're not going to finish the Half-Life story because of a silly reason! (You'll cave in and buy it, don't lie)

Anyway, I will hold to the idea that Breen perished at the end of all that. Although, the fact that his survival was mentioned in the Robin Walker interview, and the picture of him on the life-support system from RtB have me doubting that he died. While I feel it would mean more if he HAD perished--ultimately having died trying to escape from the humanity, which he was trying to protect--it would also be an interesting twist if he did manage to live and once again tried to usurp control...or maybe even change his opinion that humanity needed to be saved, and tell the Combine to wipe us all out. I could see that happening.

"Unfortunately it seems as if my faith in this species was misguided. I had hoped that we could become part of something greater, to achieve that which we had only previously imagined. I now see the errors in my thinking."

Well, you can see him very much alive at the end of HL2. Albiet within the reactor spire itself, but hey. I don't think he'll manage to transform himself into a Combine with time on the Citadel ticking away, but I do wonder if any of the reactor innards effected him...

I'm sure he is alive, it'd be such a waste if he died.

On the bumbling idiot matter, and Breen taunting him about that hes not accomplished anything, how about when Mossman is praising his reserch(i have no idea how to spell that.) in black mesa east? "ive been a big fan of yours before you even got to black mesa" or something. Thats gotta mean his a pretty good doctor, capeble of more than flipping a switch.

Freeman's prior work was just his further studies at Innsbruck. Visiting fellows are independent researchers who might attend a class or two. It was likely all written research and observations, no actual applications of theoretical physics. He wrote a few fancy papers.

He might be able to put complex concepts down on paper, but once it comes to him actually DOING something, he screws up. The only thing he's good at is making stuff go boom; that's why they gave him a HEV suit, a gun, and told him to stay away from the equipment at BMRF.

I find it hard to believe that Breen survived. He was nearly in the heart of the explosion, the 'explosion theory' that you surmise would certainly kill him, if the explosions went down the reactor spire, where Breen was rather close to.

As well, the explosion being minimal is wrongly stated as well I feel. If such a matter warranted the stopping of time, by the G-man I'd say the explosion was more than adequate to destroy the entire top of the Citadel.

The sheer energy involved in opening a portal of such magnitude would say its so as well.

We will have to wait until Episode 1 to find out the sheer amount of damage done to the Citadel, but I'd believe it is far more significant than many people give it credit for, which I can only deduce is reasoned by the thought that Alyx couldn't survive without G-man's or DOG's intervention.

Seeing that G-man stopped time, I can't believe that DOG would have made it in time, since you know its stopped, nor would I understand G-man saving Alyx unless he did so only to show Gordon that he understands the human experience. Which I would assume he does because he sent Gordon to 'save' those of City 17.

G-man realizes Gordon and Alyx are a team. I'm willing to bet he set them up at that point where she saved him from a beating.

General Zex said:
1. I find it hard to believe that Breen survived. He was nearly in the heart of the explosion, the 'explosion theory' that you surmise would certainly kill him, if the explosions went down the reactor spire, where Breen was rather close to.

2. As well, the explosion being minimal is wrongly stated as well I feel. If such a matter warranted the stopping of time, by the G-man I'd say the explosion was more than adequate to destroy the entire top of the Citadel.

3. .... G-man understands the human experience. I would assume he does because he sent Gordon to 'save' those of City 17.

I split up your post into three nice points here.

1. The elevator orb that Breen was in could also have protected him, as he seems to fall down inside it. Some people have also pointed out that if you look closely, he is alive, but this could have been a game error rather than a plot point. Nevertheless, seeing as this is a game, I think there would be a good chance of VALVe wanting him back for plot reasons, as Apocalyspe stated above.

2. I agree that the explosion was large, because Breen says to think of the people below, but I'm not sure about your G-man evidence. G-man may have stopped time simply because Gordon had completed his objective (you'll see this happens in the first game also). Secondly, I don't think it would take much effort to stop time, since he telports all the time and seems to only stop it in Gordon's view.

3. I strongly disagree with this statement. G-man never shows any human emotion as far as I can tell, and all he speaks of is his and his employers' choices for Gordon. As far as I can tell, he acts only to his own personal gain.

General Zex said:
that he understands the human experience. Which I would assume he does because he sent Gordon to 'save' those of City 17.

Doubtful. In Aftermath I'd assume Gman is merely acting on one of these new offers presented to him, someone wants City 17 evacuated.

Breen tell Gordon to take it easy and think of the people below yes... But thats becouse the ressult of what hes doing is going to be a meltdown. The explosion isnt the "big deal".

Breen knew exactly what would happen if the reactor went into meltdown.

Yes... But i was onely pointing out that when Breen told Gordon to think of the people below, he didnt refrer to the explotion that happens when Gman pops in.
Breen was infact refering to the meltdown itself, if Gordon whould go on with destroying the core, the people below could die.

Not would, becouse Gordon will save the day in Ep.1!!!

Breen may have been claiming that the whole Citadel would be destroyed, but don't you think some of that was a bluff to try to stop Freeman?

I've thought quite the opposite: Gordie knows damn well what he's doing. I like to think that Gordie isn't a righteous, honest, good samaritan, but either knowing or unknowing, he (via Gman, perhaps), is the evil-doer. What we're guiding through in these games isn't a hero, but the anti-hero, perhaps even the Bad Guy.

I hope I didn't ruin your day.

imagod284 said:
Breen may have been claiming that the whole Citadel would be destroyed, but don't you think some of that was a bluff to try to stop Freeman?

Yes and no. If Gordon knew what would happen, would he have went ahead with it? Possibly. But at the same time, Breen was right wasn't he. He told you it would bring down the Citadel, and in Aftermath thats exactly what happens.

Rizzo89 said:
Not would, becouse Gordon will save the day in Ep.1!!!
Don't hold your breath. Look at his track record. And if he saved the day, there would be no reason for Episode II, would there? ;)

AIDisabled said:
I've thought quite the opposite: Gordie knows damn well what he's doing. I like to think that Gordie isn't a righteous, honest, good samaritan, but either knowing or unknowing, he (via Gman, perhaps), is the evil-doer. What we're guiding through in these games isn't a hero, but the anti-hero, perhaps even the Bad Guy.

I hope I didn't ruin your day.
Ruin my day? Quite the opposite. :LOL:

While he's not a bad guy, Gordon's pretty close to being an anti-hero, or rather, a failed hero. He tries to help, to do the right thing, but ultimately screws everything up (even worse than it had been) and has to try again. He's not intentionally trying to eff things up, but he knows what he's doing is going to cause more problems. He just doesn't care.

It's an interesting duality: Gordon's moral code renders him incapable of shooting an innocent civilian or a friend, but he'll doom them to alien invasions, city-leveling explosions, and exodus into the wasteland.

imagod284 said:

I didnt say that it was a bluff. I was onely pointing out that Breen was telling Gordon about the Meltdown, and that explosion isnt the end ressult. And if it is... Gordon will need alot of batteri juice to out run that explosion.

Darkside55 said:
It's an interesting duality: Gordon's moral code renders him incapable of shooting an innocent civilian or a friend, but he'll doom them to alien invasions, city-leveling explosions, and exodus into the wasteland.

Thats easily preventable though: just don't play the game, then Gordon has no choice but to cease these actions ;)

Seriously though, being a hero is about risks, not only for oneself but for others around you. Now I can't really say that Gordon is a true hero, because VALVe puts us in such a position that he really isn't. But anti-hero? Did G-man ever tell Gordon to prevent Breen from teleporting? Not that I recall, but Alyx seemed bent on stopping him.

The mere fact that G-man never once told Gordon what needed to be done, makes him like a hero. Barney, Eli, Alyx and Dr. Kleiner gave him his instructions through out the entire game. Everything Gordon did was the result of orders from the people who lived their day to day lives in City 17.

G-man just put Gordon in the right place at the right time.

Keep in mind, anti-hero doesn't literally mean "against heroes" or heroism, just that he has flaws that keep him from being a true hero. He's really an "everyman" archetype, an average guy put into an incredible situation, and he has to act for good. Problem is that he goes about it in the wrong way, thinking he's right.

And a big part of the problem is due to what you said: he follows the orders of the resistance leaders. He doesn't think for himself, and by the time Breen's begging him to stop (during Anticitizen One), he's already too far gone. He can't turn around to Barney and the other rebels and say, "I really should stop and consider this. I DID want to serve mankind."

General Zex said:
G-man just put Gordon in the right place at the right time.

He puts the right man in the wrong place.

Freeman isn't evil. He just gets lucky...alot and happens to be in the right place at the right time..making himself a hero.

I mean, anyone could have done some of the things he did. Seriously, they aren't difficult.

aarondacosta said:
I mean, anyone could have done some of the things he did. Seriously, they aren't difficult.

Uhh...Yeah. Because we all know that urban warfare is child's play in which anyone with a gun can mow through endless hordes of enemy troops. Gordon generally wins only, because he has the might of Load Game at his side.

Might of load game... lol.
Not everyone could do what gordon did. He defeated a big Alien army and their leader. Thats pretty intense... And just to wake up and have a bigger Alien army aginst him. Gordon is a hero. And not just any hero.

Back