Gordon Freeman is a bumbling idiot

ríomhaire said:
No it doesn't.
"It's OK, he's a friend"
Silence! Every word Master Chief says is cool :thumbs:

"I need a weapon"
"Tell that to the Covenant"
"I won't"

I had a dream last night Gordon talked. He was really nerdy sounding and very scared.
I had to go fight of some aliens for him he was so scared.

And then a kid stole his dad's RV and put the steering wheel on top where there was a deck for having barbecues but he had to stop because of the giant force feild.

_Z_Ryuken said:
I had a dream last night Gordon talked. He was really nerdy sounding and very scared.
I had to go fight of some aliens for him he was so scared.

And then a kid stole his dad's RV and put the steering wheel on top where there was a deck for having barbecues but he had to stop because of the giant force feild.
That makes so much sence that its completely illogical

Rizzo89 said:
Gordons not a nerd. Hes a badass
He's a scientist, and a fraud!

Speaking of which, Megalomaniac's post about Gordon getting his doctorate from an online course or out of pity made me think: did anyone else notice how he isn't called "doctor" by the G-man? In fact, even in the beginning of the game he addresses you as, "Mr. Freeman," rather than "Dr. Freeman." He doesn't call him Dr. Freeman until the end, perhaps just to humor him. Maybe Freeman isn't a real doctor. Maybe he forged his doctorate, quietly slipped away to Innsbruck, and was picked up by the G-man (who many believe to be his corporate sponsor). Perhaps that is also why he was chosen for the menial task of rolling a cart into a laser beam; he can't do any real scientific work.

The guy's on a free meal ticket from the G-man, and everyone else is just oblivious, calling him doctor when he clearly doesn't deserve it.

I like your opening line but I realy doubt that.

Kleainer whould probably know if he wasnt a real doctor.

BTW, Gordon's suit creates a portal into hammerspace, where he stores all his ammo and stuff.

ríomhaire said:
I like your opening line but I realy doubt that.
Indeed. :) I do find it curious though that the G-man always did address him as "Mr. Freeman" right up until the end. Was it just oversight?

Also, Gordon's status at BMRF was pretty low. You would think that with his experience, and tutelage under Drs. Vance and Kleiner, he'd get a different sort of job, something befitting his education, like working with the machinery or running calculations. Instead he gets the HEV training and is in charge of a decidedly un-scientific job. Apparently everyone who gets HEV training deals with these sorts of jobs (Drs. Cross and Green transporting the sample, for example).

Jintor said:
BTW, Gordon's suit creates a portal into hammerspace, where he stores all his ammo and stuff.
That's what I always say; pockets of interdimensional space.

This is the same Gman that seemed to have only a passing familarity with
the english language?

You could argue that it just didn't occur to him that it matters to those silly
people at Black Mesa what title you call them by.

Darkside55 said:
Indeed. :) I do find it curious though that the G-man always did address him as "Mr. Freeman" right up until the end. Was it just oversight?

Also, Gordon's status at BMRF was pretty low. You would think that with his experience, and tutelage under Drs. Vance and Kleiner, he'd get a different sort of job, something befitting his education, like working with the machinery or running calculations. Instead he gets the HEV training and is in charge of a decidedly un-scientific job. Apparently everyone who gets HEV training deals with these sorts of jobs (Drs. Cross and Green transporting the sample, for example).

That's what I always say; pockets of interdimensional space.
Maybe he was indulging Freeman, finaly giving him his title. He refers to Adrian as Corperal.

"Er....I'm a doctor actually"

"We'll see...about that."

Hey they call you mr freeman in half life one, all the security guards. Thats wired init!!!

Rizzo89 said:
Hey they call you mr freeman in half life one, all the security guards. Thats wired init!!!
Well, BM is full of Doctors so I guess it doesn't really mean much. I also heard that in the first edition Gordon only had a bacholers degree and that it was later changed to a doctorate, probably wrong though.

Allow me to shed some light on this:

We are Gordon Freeman. So it is our fault that anyone was killed in the process of our actions.

We were doing what we were told. Gordon Freeman is just our medium of existence in an otherwise non-existent world.

General Zex said:
Allow me to shed some light on this:

We are Gordon Freeman. So it is our fault that anyone was killed in the process of our actions.

We were doing what we were told. Gordon Freeman is just our medium of existence in an otherwise non-existent world.

No, this isn't true. If it was true everyone would have a completely(rarely slight) difference. We are acting out what Gordon Freeman is doing. We have no choice becuase Gordon Freeman has already done it...this is just a playable memory of his...:rolling:

Is it? I feel quite confident otherwise. Let us look at why Gordon Freeman, doesn't speak.

Quite simply because Valve clearly designed Gordon Freeman to be us. They felt that giving him a voice of his own would break immersion for the players and forward the idea that we aren't Gordon, but merely playing as him.

The developers chose wisely with their actions and I think it was quite clear that they intended for us to be Gordon Freeman. How much time spanned between Half Life and Half Life 2? Does anyone know for sure?

Gordon had not aged a day since the events of Half Life and Half Life 2. Which is another point I am going to make. Had Gordon aged, then one could say we are just playing as him, not being him.

Why is it that after Half Life 2, we are removed from the Citadel, and placed into a void? Because our purpose was fulfilled. Not Gordon's purpose, our purpose. We defeated the Combine and subsequently saved humanity. And it plays well into Half Life 3, where we will be called again, awoken again and stirred to action. Until that purpose be fulfilled as well.

As Breen said, "Did you realize your contract was open to the highest bidder?"

That is a subtle hint, I feel, playing on the notion that we are Gordon Freeman. That the highest bidder, is in fact not a Half Life entity, but one in our real world. That we have had the choice to make contracts with the lives with which to live in the virtual worlds. He is questioning our reasons for playing Half Life 2, rather than some other game.

All of his reasons, while making for a very interesting game, seem to point out the fact that we are Gordon Freeman. That our inaction would be to allow the Combine victory.

Gordon is not some metaphysical reincarnation of Jesus or the next Buddha. Bumbling idiot? No.

He is us. If he is a bumbling idiot, it is only because we didn't take our hands off the mouse and keyboard and thought of the repercussions of our actions. Did you think of the people below the Citadel that might perish if you succeeded?

Exactly my point.

As for the not being able to fit through some openings; think about it. It's a game... the best way for all this is just a crouch key or maybe a prone key in some games.

Think about the ability to store infinite amounts of ammo and weapons in your back pocket, without a backpack.

That's what pocket dimensions give to you.

General Zex said:
The developers chose wisely with their actions and I think it was quite clear that they intended for us to be Gordon Freeman. How much time spanned between Half Life and Half Life 2? Does anyone know for sure?
Why is it that after Half Life 2, we are removed from the Citadel, and placed into a void? Because our purpose was fulfilled. Not Gordon's purpose, our purpose. We defeated the Combine and subsequently saved humanity. And it plays well into Half Life 3, where we will be called again, awoken again and stirred to action. Until that purpose be fulfilled as well.

Yes, it was around 10 years - and Gordon didn't age because he was in a place where time does not exist. Besides, we didn't actually defeat the Combine, and its not going to lead into Half-life 3 - it'll be Aftermath.

I'm not sure, I like to think of Gordon as a character, even though he never actually speaks. For instance, the characters drop their own little jokes in every now and then, about Gordon himself. The story isn't pioneered around, its Gordon and his role in the universe - he just doesn't talk because it'd seperate the player from the character.

Well i dont. But id like to see a mirror or something.

Rizzo89 said:
Well i dont. But id like to see a mirror or something.
I agree. The silent thing is cool...probably how I'd be if I was a one-man army of killing prowess too. But all throughout Half-Life 2 I walked into each bathroom fully expecting to find an intact mirror to get a good look at myself. One of the few small things HL2 dissapointed me on, but what can you do.

General Zex said:
He is us. If he is a bumbling idiot, it is only because we didn't take our hands off the mouse and keyboard and thought of the repercussions of our actions. Did you think of the people below the Citadel that might perish if you succeeded?

Exactly my point.
:eek:

You have convinced me that I am a terrible murderer. All this time I was blaming Gordon Freeman for his reckless irresponsibility and willful disregard for innocent life, but it's been me at the reins, putting the whip to his back all along. I am thoroughly ashamed.

As for the rest of the stuff you said...eh, a little too much fourth wall-breaking, in my opinion. Breen's words are a plot point, not a joke on purchasing HL2 over another shooter. The thought, "that we have had the choice to make contracts with the lives with which to live in the virtual worlds," is a real mind-bender, but I think you're delving too deep into the meaning of "the highest bidder."

On mirrors:

I'm a bit torn on the subject. Seeing Gordon's reflection does make sense in establishing that we are him (the act of looking into a mirror and seeing yourself), but on the flipside it might seem...odd. I can't quite put it into words, but I don't think it'd work as well as it does now (NOT seeing your reflection). It'd be breaking continuity to include it now anyway.

True, but i might have been cool, seeing him. In Kleiners glasses or something.
And yeah, the silent thing is cool. Hes a one or two expretion kind of guy.

But, MIRRORS IN HALF LIFE 3!!!!

AND OMG THAT WHOULD MEAN A MODEL FOR GARRYS MOD!

Not only is Gordon an idiot, he's a fisherman!

gorton.jpg

Great post and replays Love reading this thread.

Very very interesting thread. A lot of good points were brought up, but I think Gordon didn't really have too much of a chioce, rather an ultimatum. Either you kill metrocops/oppressors in order to live to have a chance of surviving or you get killed and kill the rebels morale. It's obvious the G-Man is using Gordon but for what purpose really? It has to be more than just stopping Breen and shutting down the teleporter in the citadel. That's one of my questions...what exactly is the G-Man's goal? I don't think Gordon is a bumbling idiot, it's more of the fact that he's just stuck in a situation he doesn't want to or didn't ask to be in so I find myself agreeing with Samon again, although Darkside did bring up some interesting points that made my eyebrows go in the air.

We all know/typed that if G-Man was so powerful he could've done all the work by himself w/out the use of Gordon. He doesn't work for his 'employers' in HL2 anymore I don't think since he never mentioned them in that game. I'm hoping that the G-Man starts talking in Aftermath very quickly and shed some light on our unstoppable crowbar wielding Gordon Freeman.

Gordon reminds me very much of Solid Snake in Metal Gear Solid (Shadow Moses Incident) about the fact that the two are just pawns. But even if Gordon is a pawn....do you think he can become a player and maybe gain some ground or at least an idea of what's going on? Or possibly confront the G-Man perhaps?

If we look at Gordon as being the player, as I believe, alot of these questions are answered.

G-man is powerless without Gordon(the player). Think of the G-man's last speech:

Rather than offer you the illusion of free choice, I will take the liberty of choosing for you if and when your time comes around again.

It seems evident that Gordon and G-man may just be the player and Valve respectively. Thinking outside the box, Valve is responsible for "if and when our time comes around again."

I also think it may be of some merit to bring up this portion of the npc_gman.cpp file:

// Purpose: The G-Man, misunderstood servant of the people.

Servant? Certainly that is not a word I would attribute to a god or demigod. However it does skew things a tad, since I wouldn't call Valve a servant of the people either. But the latter is more plausible than the former.

As well, what concern is it of the G-man's if Earth is conquered or even the portal storms were resultant of his prior assignment to Gordon? If G-man is truly an extremely powerful/technologically advanced being, what good is Earth to him?

However, if the G-man is Valve Earth is of mighty concern to him. Gordon Freeman and his trials and tribulations thus become highly important to the G-man if he is indeed Valve's presence in the HL universe.

Personally, I believe that G-man's ability to manipulate the world around him is extremely limited, even though his ability manifest anywhere is in comparsion practically unlimited. He needs pawns like Gordon to make actual physical actions. The only things he is seen physically manipulating throughout the Half-Lifes are electronic devices and I think he doesn't physically flip switches and press buttons to do this - that wouldn't help in manifesting in TV-sets, in any case.
This, I think is why the monsters ignored him in the original Half-Life - he wasn't really there, at all and the creatures thus couldn't sense him.

In some way I think that he indeed represents Valve, being inside and outside the game at the same time, but I do think, that he has an in-game identity, apart from that. What that could be? Well, the time will tell, as he would undoubtedly say...

slumber said:
GORTON FREEMAN
I love you.

JDark said:
Gordon reminds me very much of Solid Snake in Metal Gear Solid (Shadow Moses Incident) about the fact that the two are just pawns.
"Gordon! We're not tools of the G-man, or anyone else!"

"We'll see...about that!"

I've thought before about a confrontation between the G-man and Gordon, whether to demand an explanation or to fight him, to try and take his life back. Gordon's too complacent to go for the first option, but brash enough to try the second. It's more of his nature to shoot first and ask questions never (any answers the G-man would reveal to him in either scenario would be completely voluntary, and not at Gordon's behest). I dread fighting the G-man, simply because I know he'd teleport Gordon into a world of pain.

General Zex said:
Fourth Wall
Again, I personally believe that drawing parallels between the game characters and real-life people/organizations is a bit much (and should only be reserved for the all-knowing vortigaunt), but I must say that you make a compelling argument. The fact that Gordon is supposed to be the player would indeed lend credence to the theory that G-man is a representation of Valve, leading us along and subtly controlling our actions and choices. Whether Valve intentionally drew these parallels, or if it's all just a big coincidence, I wonder.

However, this doesn't explain away the things G-man (or anyone else) says in the context of the HL universe. They have their own important meanings that exist within the boundaries of the gameworld. I'm sure any referrences to the real world are purely for laughs.

Lightice said:
Personally, I believe that G-man's ability to manipulate the world around him is extremely limited, even though his ability manifest anywhere is in comparsion practically unlimited. He needs pawns like Gordon to make actual physical actions. The only things he is seen physically manipulating throughout the Half-Lifes are electronic devices and I think he doesn't physically flip switches and press buttons to do this - that wouldn't help in manifesting in TV-sets, in any case.
He has the ability to manipulate physical objects (arming the bomb in OpFor, opening and closing doors, picking debris off of Alyx's jacket), but his ability to manipulate events or situations is another matter entirely...;)

I'm glad everyone's enjoying this thread and it's drawing so much interest. Thanks to all the people who contribute.

Darkside55 said:
He has the ability to manipulate physical objects (arming the bomb in OpFor, opening and closing doors, picking debris off of Alyx's jacket), but his ability to manipulate events or situations is another matter entirely...;)

The bomb was an electronic device and picking lint from Alyx was just a symbolic gesture.

Well, he was actually entering in the code to begin the detonation sequence, and he actually does open and close those doors. I don't believe the lint on Alyx's jacket was symbolic...I think he was really picking something off her coat.

Darkside55 said:
Well, he was actually entering in the code to begin the detonation sequence

Or that's what it seems...

and he actually does open and close those doors.

With electric locks...

I don't believe the lint on Alyx's jacket was symbolic...I think he was really picking something off her coat.

That we can argue about, but not to any results. In any case, the very action of picking lint off a person's clothes is symbolic, whether anything is really picked, or not.

Lightice said:
That we can argue about, but not to any results. In any case, the very action of picking lint off a person's clothes is symbolic, whether anything is really picked, or not.
Indeed, we're at a stalemate. :) But you're right, cleaning Alyx off could be symbolism. I say "could" because he might just be being a perfectionist and removing a speck from her, or it could be something deeper than that, like taking care of her (which might explain her mysterious survival of the explosion).

^^That is another thing to be looked at. How in the hell did she survive that explosion anyway? We know Gordon got teleported into stasis once again, but it baffles me how Alyx survived it unless the G-Man teleported her away as well (which he probably did).

"Gordon! We're not tools of the G-man, or anyone else!"
"We'll see...about that!"

Haha, I like that very much. "Fighting was the only thing..the only thing I was good at Gordon. But at least I always fought for what I believed in..."

Anyway, back on topic, so Darkside, you think that if Gordon tries to combat the G-Man he'll get sent to a dimension of pain, but you also thing that gordon will not try to reason with the G-man to get some kind of explanation out of him. i'm not saying you're wrong, but what is Gordon supposed to do? Sit there and let the G-Man boss him for forever? He must be confused (especially by the end of HL2). I understand he currently works for the G-Man, but given that Gordon is a scientist no ... a human, he's gonna want to know everything correct? But then again, there's a possibility that the G-Man can mislead/lie Gordon and tell him something far from the truth (much like how Colonel misleads Snake on a number of occasions).

"Time, Dr. Freeman? Is it really that time again? It seems as though you only just arrived. You've done a great deal in a small time...span; you've done so well, in fact, that i've recieved some interesting offers for your services. Ordinarily, I wouldn't contemplate them, but these are extraordinary times".

Gordon: "Services...What the hell are you talking about? Answer me!!!"

"I'm sorry Mr. Freeman but I cannot answer that at the moment but...
Rather than offer you the illusion of free choice, I will take the liberty of choosing for you, if and when your time comes round again".

Gordon: "I don't know what you're talking about! What are planning on doing to me anyway? What have you done to Alyx!? Leave her alone! Besides...I just about ran out of time for your crap!"

"I do apologise for what must seem to you an arbitrary imposition, Dr. Freeman; I trust it will make sense in the course of... well, I'm really not at liberty to say.

Gordon: ........

"In the meantime, this is where I get off."

That was just my little thought up scenario of the ending of HL2 speculating that the relationsip between Gordon and G-Man is not very peaceful, that's also why I asked if Gordon would eventually confront the G-Man. but then again I could be very wrong. I'm sure you guys can enlighten me further. Yes, this topic is very addicting and well thought out. Good job Darkside.

Darkside55 said:
But you're right, cleaning Alyx off could be symbolism. I say "could" because he might just be being a perfectionist and removing a speck from her, or it could be something deeper than that, like taking care of her (which might explain her mysterious survival of the explosion).

Taking care of her...That's something I didn't think about. To me it seemed, that he made a point of shrugging her off as insignifigant - a mere object of interest, rather than a living human being.

In any case, G-Man didn't neccesarily save her. Dr. Kleiner might have interfered, as unlikely as it is, G-Man could have stopped the explosion short (assuming that he is capable of such feats, which I don't, but it's a possibility) for reasons of his own or the very nature of the explosion could have transported Alyx to some safer position, along with random bits of the Citadel.
Even if he did save her, I think that his most likely objective would have been to keep Dr. Freeman grateful to him, supressing his desire to make so many uncomfortable questions and possibly to have a bargaining chip in the future, should Gordon turn against him.

In any case, one thing which originally inspired my theory about insubstantial G-Man was the ending scene of HL2. G-Man appears out of nowhere, walking on thin air and as he appears, he first seems transparent and immaterial projection. Also, if I remember correctly, he makes no sound apart from his speech, before he takes Gordon back to the dark space, where his footsteps are finally heard echoing (hmm...maybe he locked Freeman into some broom-closet :rolleyes: ). Most importantly, there is no sign whatsoever of the typical Half-Life teleportation effects.

Back