Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas

£25 on play.com thats pretty good, I'm gonna pre order it.

I just got home from work (got off early today, yay) and I'm installing it right now. :D

I'm hoping for a mod that will make the entire state into gang territories, much like that wierd glitch in th PS2 version.

I went to four stores during my lunch hour and I went 0 for 4. Best Buy, yeah right they get games two weeks after their release. Comp USA same deal. EB was only selling to presale people, maybe they'll have a few tomorrow. Gamestop only sells console games?!?! I'm out of places to try until after work. *Crosses fingers*

Played a few of the first missions, so far seems pretty good... much more to do than Vice City.
It did crash once however (well, completely freezed my system, forcing me to reboot), I hope that's not a sign of things to come. :| And my framerate doesn't seem too good, it slows down in a lot of spots, even after I turned down Effects detail to Medium. Vice City played perfectly on my computer but San Andreas makes me wonder if I need an upgrade...

I got an email today saying mines in the post from play.com :D:D:D:D

Silent Hunter 3 used Starforce didnt it?... that screwed up my internet radio, took up 10% CPU on bootup for a few seconds as the protectoin did its bit, but had no problems playing the game with D-Tools on, installed etc. If i have to uninstall D-Tools... yeah i'll be pissed too and sending the game back.

Diluted, how about Starforce? Not to sound pushy but there are people such as myself actively boycotting this form of protection.

Was it evident when starting up the game that starforce was present?

Is there a non dvd version anywhere?
Everywhere I look it's only dvd.
And I have the misfortune of not having a dvd drive yet.

Xune said:
Diluted, how about Starforce? Not to sound pushy but there are people such as myself actively boycotting this form of protection.

Was it evident when starting up the game that starforce was present?
Well, during installation I don't remember seeing anything about starforce being installed. Or maybe it just installs it without asking you? All I know is that you need the DVD in the drive to play (sigh...) and there's no NO-DVD crack out yet. ;(

diluted said:
Well, during installation I don't remember seeing anything about starforce being installed. Or maybe it just installs it without asking you? All I know is that you need the DVD in the drive to play (sigh...) and there's no NO-DVD crack out yet. ;(

That's one of the main reasons why SF is being boycotted. It also doesn't uninstall when you remove the title it came with. Plus it's been linked to system instabilities etc. Nasty stuff just to play a game as far as I'm concerned.

However, I'm pretty sure you would've noticed it when starting the game. Starforce requires a system reboot before you can play the game. Then once you run the program it brings up a progress bar as it verifies the disc.

Sounds like my source was wrong and I can buy this game!

Yeah in that case Xune SH3 is on Starforce and i had no problems running the game with D-tools on etc. so we should be safe... just the annoying progress bar to worry about and that freezing up the system for abit...

That one really had me in tears. Such a brilliant game and I can't play it because of the ****in copy protection.

I just picked it up before work. The case is something new, pretty cool. Plan to play it on the weekend maybe.

* looks at the copy-protection discussions *

I'm getting it for Xbox!

* runs *

CptStern said:
just ran out at lunch and picked it up at best buy for $39 ...goes up to $59 tommorrow

Alright I'll get it today. StarForce or no StarForce, that deal is too good to pass up...

The game has froze on me 4 times already. ;( I'm going to install new video drivers (I have Cat 5.4's, the latest is 5.5) and see if it helps.

diluted said:
The game has froze on me 4 times already. ;( I'm going to install new video drivers (I have Cat 5.4's, the latest is 5.5) and see if it helps.

Damn, now I'm conflicted.

I guess I'll buy it, but not open it until I'm sure that this game will run on my PC. That's the safest route... :E

diluted said:
really? man it sounds like a sh*t port, the engine was never the best anyway, im hearing its a bit of a performance hog too even on high end systems.

also whats this frame limiter thing?

Its weird, if you turn the frame limiter OFF, when you go fast on a bike, the next section doesn't load properly, so you fall through boundarys etc.

Shodan said:
Its weird, if you turn the frame limiter OFF, when you go fast on a bike, the next section doesn't load properly, so you fall through boundarys etc.
yeah i read this, something to do with the harddrives, its recommended to have FRL on as this syncs the game frame rate with the hard drive or something, having it off causes graphical corruption, with it on you get like 30fps, its just to do with the engine i hear.

craig said:
Well play.com shipped out my copy today, so even though it's out here on Friday I should get it on Thursday :) I just really hope it doesn't use StarForce cos' I've heard some bad things about that programme.

Me too! Tragically excited! Sadly not got a day off work (10-9pm) for two weeks! Too many !!!s!

jimbo118 said:
really? man it sounds like a sh*t port, the engine was never the best anyway, im hearing its a bit of a performance hog too even on high end systems.

also whats this frame limiter thing?
It does seem like a performance hog. I have a P4 3.0ghz, 1gig of RAM, and a Radeon 9600xt (256mb). GTA3 and Vice City both ran perfectly fine on this system with all settings to the max, but San Andreas stutters a lot and my framerate drops. Granted, my video card isn't that great and I'm sure this game has more eye candy than the last two, but I expected it to run better than this.

diluted said:
It does seem like a performance hog. I have a P4 3.0ghz, 1gig of RAM, and a Radeon 9600xt (256mb). GTA3 and Vice City both ran perfectly fine on this system with all settings to the max, but San Andreas stutters a lot and my framerate drops. Granted, my video card isn't that great and I'm sure this game has more eye candy than the last two, but I expected it to run better than this.
yeah im hearing the same. Seems like a bad port from the xbox version.
Some dude wrote:

Vice City ran flawlessly at 70-85 FPS at 1024x768 with everything set to the max. 4x AA and 8x AF on a x800 XT PE 256MB. It also ran great on a 9700 pro.

GTA: SA runs choppy in comparison. At 800x600 with everything lowest settings, no AA or AF. The framerate is 30-40 FPS.

GTA: SA with everything set to the highest level, and 2x AA runs at 30-40 FPS also.

My PC has 2 GB of RAM and a P4 3.06 GHz. Maybe this game really is optimized for Nvidia cards. I hope ati can release a patch to make the game run smoother

dunno about the nvidia bit he wrote but it sounds system intensive.

Xune said:
That one really had me in tears. Such a brilliant game and I can't play it because of the ****in copy protection.

Dood, its been cracked, check P2P sites for more info.... hahahaha

:D

jimbo118 said:
dunno about the nvidia bit he wrote but it sounds system intensive.
Yeah, an Nvidia logo is displayed when you start the game. So I guess it is designed to work better with Nvidia cards.

diluted said:
Yeah, an Nvidia logo is displayed when you start the game. So I guess it is designed to work better with Nvidia cards.
hmmm maybe i have a x800xt so hope its not true, another guy had a 6800gt and ran it maxed with 2aa and 1280/1024res with 30fps+ so maybe, could be a driver issue too. Im less excited now put it that way. :|

Gorgon said:

:D

Yes, that would be theft moron.

no its not theft....its ehh uh.....ah well **** it I dont care! ^-^

planetgta has this to say:
Try turning Visual FX Quality to "low" for now. For some reason, "very high," "high" and "medium" cause massive slowdown. Also, I don't see a big difference with the different selections either other than "low" makes it run much better.

also read
http://www.planetgrandtheftauto.com/#PQN493963
for their general technical observations on the PC version. Sounds like something of a ****up generally. Damn. Rockstar better patch it by Friday or I'll be pissed!

pomegranate said:
planetgta has this to say:
Try turning Visual FX Quality to "low" for now. For some reason, "very high," "high" and "medium" cause massive slowdown. Also, I don't see a big difference with the different selections either other than "low" makes it run much better.

also read
http://www.planetgrandtheftauto.com/#PQN493963
for their general technical observations on the PC version. Sounds like something of a ****up generally. Damn. Rockstar better patch it by Friday or I'll be pissed!
sounds like a major bug, this better be fixed, hopefully by the euro release on friday or ill just stick with the bf2 demo.

I am having sound issues. Sometimes what sounds like a sound file from the game will just play really loud.

Mind you, have a look at some of the shots that are on the PlanetGTA site - particularly the ones of CJ standing behind the Vinewood sign at different times of day and different weather. Looks :eek:

Question for those who've already got (bought) the game. What does the Limited Edition pack include. Amazon UK says it includes a novella. That's cool, but is there anything else? Is the box gold plated? ;)

Lemonking said:
no its not theft....its ehh uh.....ah well **** it I dont care! ^-^

Exactly :D :D :hmph: ;)

When running, gtasa.exe takes up 131MB of RAM as shown in the processes window.

This game needs a patch this week or Millions of gamers gone act crazy.

Gorgon said:

I thought you were talking about a No-CD or DVD crack, thats not illegal if you bought the game, I do it all the time, Copy protection always stops games from working on my PC.

If publishers want to put shoddy copy-protection on their games its up to them to provide proper support when it goes wrong, otherwise its up to me to crack it.

pomegranate said:
Mind you, have a look at some of the shots that are on the PlanetGTA site - particularly the ones of CJ standing behind the Vinewood sign at different times of day and different weather. Looks :eek:

No kidding. Take a look at the picture of the day:

That's better than I expected for draw distance.

Just bought the game half an hour ago (a little disappointed that the sale wasn't on in my area, but since it was the last copy on the shelf, I just gave in). I haven't opened it yet, but upon glancing in through the space in the bottom, it looks like there's a novel in there. :LOL:

Too bad about the bugs. I hope I'll be one of the lucky ones who won't have to wait for a patch. :E

There is a novel. Before you play the game you have to write a book report and send it to Rockstar. You must pass in order to play.

Updated my drivers, and since then haven't had a crash... so far so good. :p
Does anyone else find the lack of a proper DVD case really lame? The DVD is supposed to stick onto this black rubber thing on the inside of the back cover of the book, but it just falls off.

Mine stays. Maybe my black rubber thing is bigger than yours.

Back