Half Life 2 multiplayer - Was it always CSS?

alan8325 said:
I'm not too disappointed with Valve not making a HL2-themed multiplayer because the same old deathmatch/capture-the-flag gameplay gets old fast with any game.

this old mistake again. whos to say that valve would just made dm or ctf? the point is, fans like me want more HL2 than people like you.. i want to see the sights, use the guns, hear the sounds, and see the models that i saw in SP. you are content with just SP, but im a halflife freak i want more. i want the experience to continue. thats not asking too much, because pretty much every fps does this. the ones that don't, don't have MP code anyway. no excuse for hl2 devs on this one though, the code is there.

its funny to see unbiased opinions on hl2's mp component. ive told about 6 people in the last few weeks, who are gamers, but aren't biased to any game(some are cs players), that the only mp component coming with hl2 is CS:S. they all said WTF? why? ultimately, its a waste of awesome content. just wasteful.

relying on a mod team to make some sort of quality hl2 mp is far-fetched. the reason being is this mod isn't an original idea, whatever happens with it, its owned by valve, so you can't sell it on steam, the mod team would have no sense of ownership. whats the incentive to make a quality project on something that you aren't really connected to creatively? unless valve gives an official blessing to a reputable mod team, we aren't going to see a quality hl2 mp. many mods on the same idea lead to divided community, which leads to no servers and ultimately no playing. bah.

I don't know about a lie...we will only know if they actually come out with the info or if it's in that book.

It was incredibly misleading along with the Sept. 30th. Gabe knew in various interviews before Sept. 30th that they were never going to make it...but he kept saying things like, "We'll see" or "We're doing everything we can to get it out the door." Technically...they aren't lies..but it's as good as a lie.

As for this MP. I hope Gabe doesn't think CS:S is unique...because it's anything but. I think Valve's only contribution to the MP aspect of this whole spiel will be TF2 (whenever that comes) DoD:S and maybe updating CS:S with more maps and the rest of the models (I will be pissed if they don't add at least the rest of the models and some of the most popular maps).

poseyjmac said:
this old mistake again. whos to say that valve would just made dm or ctf? the point is, fans like me want more HL2 than people like you.. i want to see the sights, use the guns, hear the sounds, and see the models that i saw in SP. you are content with just SP, but im a halflife freak i want more. i want the experience to continue. thats not asking too much, because pretty much every fps does this. the ones that don't, don't have MP code anyway. no excuse for hl2 devs on this one though, the code is there.

its funny to see unbiased opinions on hl2's mp component. ive told about 6 people in the last few weeks, who are gamers, but aren't biased to any game(some are cs players), that the only mp component coming with hl2 is CS:S. they all said WTF? why? ultimately, its a waste of awesome content. just wasteful.

relying on a mod team to make some sort of quality hl2 mp is far-fetched. the reason being is this mod isn't an original idea, whatever happens with it, its owned by valve, so you can't sell it on steam, the mod team would have no sense of ownership. whats the incentive to make a quality project on something that you aren't really connected to creatively? unless valve gives an official blessing to a reputable mod team, we aren't going to see a quality hl2 mp. many mods on the same idea lead to divided community, which leads to no servers and ultimately no playing. bah.

Thats exactly how I feel, it is a major disapointment for me to see there is no "real" HL2 multiplayer..

What a bummer... :x

Orignally Posted by azz0r
Originally Posted by MetalliMyers
Just because he said that he plays HL2 multiplayer daily and now there is no HL2 themed multiplayer doesn't mean he lied. It just means that they were probably working out the netcode and such for Source so they can eventually have a multiplayer with the Source engine. Now those aren't facts, it's called logical reasoning.

You had a point, then you became a smart arse on the last sentence, what a shame

End of discussion

Drop The Multiplayer BS!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ITS HERE AND ITS GOOD, SO ENJOY!

azz0r said:
Thus how can Gabe have played something daily that doesnt exist? :rolleyes:

Oh just get over it. All this pissing and moaning is so pathetic is makes me want to spontaneously drop dead rather than have to sift through any more of it.

Madhotch said:
Drop The Multiplayer BS!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ITS HERE AND ITS GOOD, SO ENJOY!

im enjoying the hell out of CS:S, but thats beside the point.

ShadowFox said:
Okay.. lets see... in 2003 Gabe says he plays HL2 multiplayer everyday. Not a lie.

In 2004 they start work on CS:S. Not a lie.

In 2004 they announce HL2 has no multiplayer. Not a lie.
Although your right, and I'm just nit picking, we still don't for sure if these were lies or not. Just because they said it doesn't mean its true.

CSS IS HL2's MP PART.

SO THE FAT GUY PLAYED CSS ALL THE DAY.

HE DIDNT LIE.

BUT MY SHIFTBUTTON IS STUCK.

I have said it before but imo they have either a non ctf or dm mode in production or it is no longer in production (i.e. finished). there has still been loopholes in the info from valve for this possibility, we know that no CTF or DM modes are in production. but stuff from the info from valve thread like ted backmans corpse, and half life 2's multiplayer maps being much larger, dosent make sense in the context of CS:S and DOD:S. surely the maps are still counted as the same size?
valve are too switched on to avoid all of the possibilities of a pure hl2 multiplayer

the original HLDM felt a little tacked on even if the weapons were balanced and allowed intreesting tactics. TFC felt like valve's true hl multiplayer attempt (and that wasnt released untill well after hl came out - maybe the same tactic with hl2MP?)

hl2 / TF:2 gonna revolutionise fps anyways :

Absinthe said:
He was playing Counter-Strike. Think about it. CS:S is just Counter-Strike with some prettier graphics. They are essentially the same game. I can see how Gabe can get away with making such a comment.

No it isn't smart guy. The gameplay is different too.

Woah do you guys fight and flame in every thread?

Its like a playground in here.

I don't understand why people are so twisted up about there not being any straight multiplayer.

It's possible Valve made the decision to have MP, then decided not to due to any number of unknown reasons (probably to focus fully on the single player).
now they've replaced it with CS because they knew there would be people who just can't see passed their own selfish wants and think that MP is the only good thing about any game.

It is Valve's game, they didn't lie about there being a multiplayer, they just changed their minds and didn't tell us, if they had done what people wanted then they'd be creating mediocre MP and mediocre SP, they're trying to create something people haven't seen in this way before and it's quite possible that they thought that the MP they'd made, while fun, was just like every other MP except with the source engine (but then they redid CS which is just like old CS so go figure).

BTW everything i've said is my opinion, just because it's different than yours doesn't make it any less of an opinion.

Millinator, that kinda makes sense but just to play devil's advocate here, why not finish it and set an example to the community what can be done using source?

I personally think they should have focused on doing a really good coop!

Chill out.
What are the most popular mods available for HL1? According to the all seeing eye, there are 28692 CS:S servers, 1909 DoD:steam servers and 325 HL steam deathmatch servers. Obviously spending time developing a deathmatch mode for hl2 is fruitless if valve are going to sell them on steam as expansion packs.

It would be better however to let other mod developers develop HL2 deathmatch after the game has been released. Remember sven co-op? I wonder if they are going to do a mod for hl2. Well, holy shit ladies and gentlemen it looks like my suspicions are correct. Sven co-op intend to develop a HL2 themed multiplayer modification.

BYHL: Last year, it was announced that you would be working on the cooperative element of Half-Life 2. How did this come about? Did you offer? Did Valve ask? Have you been in touch with them since that original announcement?

Sniper: This came about when Half-Life 2 was first announced. We were blown away by the fact that Half-Life 2 was being made and is nearing completion. The entire team just started drooling at the possibilites and such. After the shock started to die down a bit, we started doing a lot of work on game design documents for Sven Co-op 2. When we found out Half-Life 2 did not have a co-op mode, we asked Valve a few questions and then headed off to their offices to find out some more information on Half-Life 2. Valve said they'd help us get started with a few co-op related hurdles once the game is released. We've been quite happy over the information they briefed us on regarding the AI systems, and game-related design stuff. (E.g. we were shown a glance at the level editor, and Softimage XSI)

That's a good point. I'd probably play Doom 3's deathmatch more than HL2's.

Eon Blue said:
That's a good point. I'd probably play Doom 3's deathmatch more than HL2's.

yea, because you've played both and can compare the two. really intelligent comment there, einstein.

when it was first revealed that CS:Source would be the only MP a few pple were raising a stink about it.. and now although CS:Source looks pretty.. more pple are realizing the potenial a HL2 themed MP would have.

i don't care how good Valve are with games.. ever since the September 30th fisasco, it hasn't always turned out as rosey as some pple around here like to paint it as.

I think a multiplayer that isn't CS:S may come out later. I mean, hell, TFC was a big multiplayer hit and it came out like a year after the original HL! and then CS eclipsed it.

There is bound to be a modification for HL2 that will be better than CS:S or DOD:S. I mean, hell, that's how they became POPULAR.

alan8325 said:
What is the bad idea? Not making a HL2-themed multiplayer or making TF2 a stand-alone product?

I was referring to your comment about how an HL2 MP should be left up to the mod community.

Even if it isn't new or innovative, I would have liked it if Valve at least implemented Deathmatch. Instead, we're going to get dozens of mod teams trying their hand at it. Not only is this going to take a good chunk of time to get right, but it will splinter the potential HL2DM community.

Ownzed said:
No it isn't smart guy. The gameplay is different too.

How so? Enlighten me. I have not played a single game of CS:S that wasn't possible in normal Counter-Strike.

You make a bold statement when you say that the gameplay is different. I expect a heavy and substantial post pointing out the differences between the two games.

Absinthe said:
Even if it isn't new or innovative, I would have liked it if Valve at least implemented Deathmatch. Instead, we're going to get dozens of mod teams trying their hand at it. Not only is this going to take a good chunk of time to get right, but it will splinter the potential HL2DM community.

Right. And that's exactly why HL2 will contain a DM MP. a) it's easy to implement, b) Valve is aware of the fact you mention and c) otherwise i will be really dissappointed. Dunno if the latter counts for a reason ... but I will go TOLD YOU SO :)

BTW: You did not vanish.

After reading what everyone
s be saying....arguing about....postulating and crying over....i just want to reveal a little of my own opinions...

A DM for HL2 would have been awesome....in any shape or form... but it is highly unlikely that one will come with hl2 when we purchase it....

CS:S while good....and popular to many....and being the so-called "MP" for HL2 will probably not be the be all and end all of Valve producing mp's for hl2...

It is highly probable that Valve are aware that leaving a hl2 DM to be ironically and lamely "moded in", as they seem to think everything can be, will not be a good thing...

TF2 which could be very very popular and unique.... may just be the project that Valve will/have been lending a heavy hand in developing to be the mp for hl2 to show it off.....
As many people have speculated about a combine v. rebel mp or so fourth that would easily fit the tf model.....

^^^... could also be an evolution of the mp that Gabe was playing and saying was very "unique", or Valve will release their own in the future which is different to tf2. Whatever the price, I don't think any of us would be able to say that they are stinging us for more profits... but rather game developing is taking more time, more skill, and more impressiveness to make it good that Valve deserve to be able to release the mp as a separate purchase at a future date.....so that we get to play hl2 earlier and stop whinging about the delays in the release dates.....

Azzor

you said
why did valve tell a lie
lol as if they are some uber-being that has no place lying to suit their purposes.

valve is a company just like any other. If a big game company said their hot new game was out in 3 months..and then are asked about a multi-player (which they didnt have) what do u think that company would say?

1. err...um...we havnt made one yet sorry
or
2. Its great i play it every day! btw its so secret i dont have any screenshots ;)

yes, u could say u were lied to but i would say u were dumb for beiliving them, especially after the 2004 e3 where they announced cs:s as the mp.

Azzor is not saying that they are lying and that is bad he is only suggesting that why would Gabe say this....if it was not possible for him to say this...because later they said this instead...

that....is not being

and yes game companies shold not be allowed to lie to suit their purposes......however this is slightly different to lying....your example is wrong.... but gabe's one is just up for speculation and interpretation to wahtever you want it to be......

I think what Azzor is suggesting is a decent thread and a deent question that should be asked....

lets face it they lied , i bet all they had was in the stolen build. Basic connectivity between 2 clients extremely under-developed.

u could say its not a lie but they bent the truth, whichever way its clear now cs:s is the hl2 mp there is nothing else.

ukfluke said:
lets face it they lied , i bet all they had was in the stolen build. Basic connectivity between 2 clients extremely under-developed.

u could say its not a lie but they bent the truth, whichever way its clear now cs:s is the hl2 mp there is nothing else.

Yep....now you're making sense...

Jesus.....tinfoil hats all round, I think.

Let me tell you how game development works:

You start your project with a basic planned feature set. This features set expands throughout development until it reaches a particular point where the game is considered to be "feature complete".

At any time prior to that point, features are completely subject to change - they could be altered, removed completely, even new features may be added. A game in development is a fluid entity - you don't go from page 1 of the design document to the end, making everything along the way.

So, bearing that in mind, it's entirely feasible (I'd even go so far as to say likely) that when Gabe spoke about playing HL2 MP, it was a planned feature, it was in the game, and probably working (albeit in a rudimentary fashion) - see Gabe's comment about them putting Ted Backman's corpse in a buggy and launching it.

Right, so for whatever reason, Valve dropped that particular MP mode during development. Maybe it wasn't working properly and wouldn't be completed in the allotted time. Maybe the CS:S port was proving to be easier to develop. Maybe aliens came down and told Gabe to drop it. We don't know.

The point is that Valve dropped HL2 MP for a reason unknown to the unwashed masses, and guess what? They were under no obligation to inform you either way. That does not constitute a lie. Valve will have gigabytes of stuff that didn't make it into the game - were they all lied about too? They cut the Hydra - OMG! LIES! I WANT MY HYDRA!

What's funny is that they weren't even misleading about it - they clearly said at E3 that CS:S was shipping with HL2. Valve don't have a responsibility to inform you of every design decision they make

Pi Mu Rho said:
Valve don't have a responsibility to inform you of every design decision they make

See thats where I think your wrong.

Sure they dont have to tell us every little thing, but if your going to go in an interview and then say its unique and so fun that you play it daily and leave an air of mystery about it, it seems odd and wrong to then just suddenly drop it without any word to the loyal community.

Valve always touts on about how great its community is and how honest it feels it can be to them - lets face it, its all a crock of sht.

Does that mean we can't atually kill headcrabs in hl2?

......oh and about what you said.....yeah i agree..... maybe this whole process where they've let the public know so much about the game during its creation has been both good for the hype but bad for all the little things just like people complaining about the end result not being what they wanted etc etc....

and as you said the whole hydra thing...and other stuff that we don't know about.....

Pi Mu Rho said:
Jesus.....tinfoil hats all round, I think.

Let me tell you how game development works:

You start your project with a basic planned feature set. This features set expands throughout development until it reaches a particular point where the game is considered to be "feature complete".

At any time prior to that point, features are completely subject to change - they could be altered, removed completely, even new features may be added. A game in development is a fluid entity - you don't go from page 1 of the design document to the end, making everything along the way.

So, bearing that in mind, it's entirely feasible (I'd even go so far as to say likely) that when Gabe spoke about playing HL2 MP, it was a planned feature, it was in the game, and probably working (albeit in a rudimentary fashion) - see Gabe's comment about them putting Ted Backman's corpse in a buggy and launching it.

Right, so for whatever reason, Valve dropped that particular MP mode during development. Maybe it wasn't working properly and wouldn't be completed in the allotted time. Maybe the CS:S port was proving to be easier to develop. Maybe aliens came down and told Gabe to drop it. We don't know.

The point is that Valve dropped HL2 MP for a reason unknown to the unwashed masses, and guess what? They were under no obligation to inform you either way. That does not constitute a lie. Valve will have gigabytes of stuff that didn't make it into the game - were they all lied about too? They cut the Hydra - OMG! LIES! I WANT MY HYDRA!

What's funny is that they weren't even misleading about it - they clearly said at E3 that CS:S was shipping with HL2. Valve don't have a responsibility to inform you of every design decision they make
Quoted for emphasis

For crying out loud, people, stop taking every statement ever made by anyone at Valve as a personal promise. Gabe did not "lie" to you. He did not personally get your hopes up so he could smash them. It amazes me to see such selfish, ignorant people getting angry at Valve for "lying" about things (ie release dates, multiplayer) when in the game industry, and life in general, things rarely go to plan.

The source engine has netcode. It stands to reason that they had to test that netcode with SOMETHING while they developed it, right? Therefore Valve, during development, were trying out multiplayer possibilities. Gabe was obviously participating in the testing of these, and enjoying himself, and excitedly told someone so.

Since then, plans have changed. There are a million and one possible reasons why the multiplayer component got axed. Don't take it personally. These things happen. But can we all just accept it?

No, not at all, we were all personally betrayed by Gabe and his mean bully friends, who told us lies to hurt our feelings.

Grow up guys. Valve have worked their arses off to make HL2 the best game it can possibly be. If a feature is missing, or a component removed, it's not because they never intended it to be there in the first place, and "lied" about it being there. There is a perfectly good reason for it, and they don't have to justify themselves to us. Accept it, and enjoy HL2 for what it is.

azz0r:

All I can suggest is that you don't buy HL2. You're obviously convinced that Valve is guilty of something, that they've misled you at every opportunity (although god knows why they'd deliberately do that).

If you're so disillusioned about the whole thing, then walk away from it.

I dont think there will be a hl2 mp ,all the magazines did all say the same no mp. For me its no big pb css is great

Who knows guys!!! maybe the multiplayer may come out in a future mission pack.. I mean it would make sense, a fair chunk of the market are crying out for Half-life dm.Im yearning out for HLDM2, hell i will be happy with half-life source tbh.

I mean if i was valve, i'd certainly leave something like this for a mission pack - I mean it's a great selling point!

Adam.

It's pathetic how you people make up cover stories for Valve. They lie. PLain and simple.

I agree with azors first post. It's like they made whatever they had before css dissapear.

I thought the whole "privilege, not a right" was one of the main ideas on this forum ..

Back