HL2- what "Physics Tricks" are you going to perform ?

Gabe said such things as breaking objects is being done with breakpoints, so no simulated damage.

Hmm i didnt expect so many replies to this thread.

:cheers: Cheers Brian Damage ---> here have a prize --> :imu:

Cool... an Imu... whatever the hell one of them is... I don't think we ever got to the bottom of that...

Brian Damage said:
Pardon? Why not?

It's a big tilted plane with a ball rolling on it. Should work well with Havok physics.

Brian, there is a pinball game made with 100% Havok Physics here.

You can also find other physics related games and examples here.

I tried to play it, but the only thing I get is music, no video o_O

Probably need to dl some new codecs..bah

Anyone know where I can download some at? I can't find anywhere.
PenFIX: Double Post Removed.

I think ill weld a couple pipes to a vehicle and instead of simply running people over ill impale them and hover them over a fire making a home made shiskabob. :devil:

Well, i have lots of ideas really..too many and im sure millions will surface once i see what can be done.

I wont go into details but one idea i had involved several different creatures and large slowmoving but powerful gears.

Other ideas i will try will be things such as, packing a tube full of C4, dropping an iron ball in the end and then watching it do its thing.

I wanna try building a trebuchet.

Anyway, i have more ideas but its late and i have a crap load of work to do in the morning....oh and you can bet im gonna do something that involves my collage and explosions :D

One acronym I think sums up what we are all thinking in the back of our mind...

SKC

Well back in the hay day of TF2 hype, they claimed explosions would be part of the physics engine, as in, remember the explosion in HL1 where you were in the pipe? That would happen unscripted. You know, how the flames blasted out the end of the tunnel and you had to get in the water.
Makes sense but they seem to have kind of forgotten about that. Too advanced for them maybe. Something about a sound engine was mentioned too, that was reliant on the levels of enclosure and shapes of the surroundings too I think, but who knows.

Death.Trap said:
I tried to play it, but the only thing I get is music, no video o_O

Probably need to dl some new codecs..bah

Anyone know where I can download some at? I can't find anywhere.
PenFIX: Double Post Removed.
its an AVI file so I would assume it would be .DIVX encoded

go here www.divx.com
or here
http://www.divx-digest.com/software/divxcodec5.html
get 5.1 (not the pro, pro has adware/spyware)

the 'break points' doesn't mean that you can only break an object at a certain point, it just means there are various segments to the object, which you can only break. Much better than halflife 1 <=)

What i'd like to do with the physics is launch a simple small house off a cliff into a bunch of trees, just to see what would happen =D

Plug said:
the 'break points' doesn't mean that you can only break an object at a certain point, it just means there are various segments to the object, which you can only break. Much better than halflife 1 <=)

Painkiller has the best breakable objects bar-none, also the best gibbing ;D

Gibbing? bwahaha I should refer you to my Max Payne 2 mods, look for a video of the "FGAB Gibbing" system or something, it's one of the TC's i'm working on and I'll tell you the gibbing is much better than in PK :p

i wana make my house with evrey board and wire in it and put evrey obj in it then shove it off a cliff onto rocks and into watter... i wana see if the watter will displace or if it will just magicly go threw the house where thares no opening...

Somethingly tells me that if you even try pushing that house into the water, you're computer will blow up from all the physics calculations

If this house is so special, it should grow legs and run off a cliff on its own!

I am going to go bowling in game. Line up some bottles, and use the phsyics gun to shoot a ball towards them.

Ok here's the scenario:

A room full of boxes, crates and various other objects, a hole in the roof.

2 people have a contest to make a tower to get out of the room, whoever gets to the top first gets to knock the other's tower over :rolling:

Or there's always body launching competitions, stair falling down competitions - anyone played stair or truck dismount? Any concepts like that... Heheh loads of fun.

Rico said:
Gibbing? bwahaha I should refer you to my Max Payne 2 mods, look for a video of the "FGAB Gibbing" system or something, it's one of the TC's i'm working on and I'll tell you the gibbing is much better than in PK :p
yes you should... so refer me, wheres the link?
making me go search for it, wont impress :p
especially when I have no clue where to start, what the mod is called or anything.

I searched google for FGAB Gibbing and got nothing.

and the reason I said Painkiller had the best gibbing out there, simply because it does.

objects break apart from pieces of the model (not random generic chunks) creatures explode with actual parts, and the parts/gibs are all physically simulated.. you can kick them around, shoot them etc... also ragdolls still aply to them, like the arms if still connected at the wrist/elbow wil wobble and bounce open and close.

the fat on the belly of fat torsos jiggle post mortem, etc
bar-none the best out there.

found this:
Fallout: Guns'n Bullet
http://www.3dactionplanet.com/maxpayne/fgab/
but theres nothing there :/

edit again: you could have made my life so much easier by just posting this:
http://www.levels4you.com/download.l4y?file=6383&mirror=1

and nope that wasnt impressive at all, you should check out Painkiller you obviously have not played it.

Hey cool! I'm in School right now! Its my damn art class. We aren't doing anything.

See how many people I can fit in a buggy without its wheels falling off

Mr.Magnetichead said:
Same I did in the BETA.

Prop a chain link fence against a solid object, line some gas cylinders at the bottom of the now created slope, get my crowbar and knock the valves off the bottles.

Home made rocket launcher.
That actually worked? Seriously, did it work?

I wanna make an unbrakible metal plate, but remote detonated exlosives under it with a whole lot of explosive objects (500 kg anyone?), wanna see if I get squashed by the sky...

try sticking the gas cans to the fence and standing on it at the same time (all possible) make urself an instant rocket sled :p

Lobster said:
try sticking the gas cans to the fence and standing on it at the same time (all possible) make urself an instant rocket sled :p
So it is possible :p

mighty cool ye!

This gives me an idea to make some stuff in Hammer! :naughty:

The first thing I'm probably going to make is a headcrab catapult.
After that I'm building a rocket with a headcrab passenger. :)
Then when I'm bored with that, I'll make a headcrab torpedo! :O (and blast some combine with it)

Some "Physics tricks" that don't involve destruction:
-Make a zero-G room to throw stuff around in.
-Drive off a cliff into the water while riding the buggy.
-Since wind is simulated in the game, I will make my own airoplane. :dozey:

I didnt know wind was simulated in the game...that sounds interesting...

Probably create a map with a 10 story house made of all wood floating on water then whip on a machine gun...

I now have a strange feeling that de-AI'd Headcrabs are going to be the new lab rat of the HL2 modding screen...

"Well, that new vehicle we've modelled and programmed could be real fun to play, but we think that the acceleration may actually damage the player..."

"Well, that's easy enough to test. Just fill the cockpit with headcrabs."

I'm going to make a very large cliff level in Hammer. Have a spawn point for a continuous amount of random enemies and watch them fall and tumble down the cliff into the water below. Then I will proceed to throw a hand grenade into the water to see what happens.

Was jus wondering if u think its possible to flip cars with grenades (Like Halo) into Trees , Buildings or enemies :)

By this i mean placing copuble of HE nades at one end of car seeing if it flys :)

Experience of playing Painkiller proved that the novelty of messing with the physics got to be kind of boring after a while due to it's limitations. Although I'm pretty sure I will be jumping up and down on cats if I see any.

mmmm small flat animals.

Painkiller's physics might not be quite as integral to the gameplay as HL2's...

Back