LOST: Destiny Found

Nice to hear you're not a statue centric episode supporter, but my post still applies to twiix and hotnumbers.

i'm not actually after a whole bunch of answers, myself. i don't care about the statue, the polar bears, anything like that... i do, however, dislike that the show has suddenly gone ''**** it, we'll turn it into a fantasy with a woman who can grant powers through jungle juice and talk spiritual about the equality of man through a ****ing tunnel of pure light'' (?!)

in it being natural, there wouldn't of been silly scenes such as the skeletons in the cave. when i say writers at a script session, i don't mean them all. it's obvious a few of them have their heads screwed on correct as there has been some nice episodes this season, but like i said in my previous post, a lot of bullshit too.

the problem with that quote is that the writers of lost have said there will be answers. hey, i'm all for waiting it out til the finale and even if there isn't, i'm not going to be up in arms over the fact that a horse wasn't explained from all those seasons ago, but if it feels as made-up and unnatural as the last episode, i'm going to be pretty pissed.

I really don't know why you found this episode as ludicrous as you did. I mean, the electromagnet wells, the wheel, the Dharma stations, the temple, they all sort of indicate that their might be a central power source to the island (along with some common sense). The idea of more than human island protectors/dwellers and spiritual characteristics has been around for some time. I think most of the actual events/revelations in the past episode were fairly reasonable, but the way things were portrayed was stupid. The dialogue, special effects, and fact that the island's heart is a really ****ing bright light, having the original Adam & Eve scene spliced into the episode, yeah kind of a dissapointment.

I think most of the actual events/revelations in the past episode were fairly reasonable, but the way things were portrayed was stupid.

I agree the "revelations" do fit with the relatively recent spiritual/fantasy direction they've taken. However it was portrayed in such a way that you could've mistaken this episode for something like The Beastmaster, or Hercules. :LOL:

Which I said. Also, please see my post before that for a more relevant response to your recent thoughts.

I really don't know why you found this episode as ludicrous as you did. I mean, the electromagnet wells, the wheel, the Dharma stations, the temple, they all sort of indicate that their might be a central power source to the island (along with some common sense). The idea of more than human island protectors/dwellers and spiritual characteristics has been around for some time. I think most of the actual events/revelations in the past episode were fairly reasonable, but the way things were portrayed was stupid. The dialogue, special effects, and fact that the island's heart is a really ****ing bright light, having the original Adam & Eve scene spliced into the episode, yeah kind of a dissapointment.

I don't see why everyone always counters people saying "this show just got too ridiculous" by saying, "How can you find this ridiculous without finding everything else ridiculous?"

I can totally see how crap like "Woooo cave of light" could be the straw that broke the camel's back or whatever. For me that happened last year, so nowadays I'm actually surprised/pleased whenever there's a solidly good episode.

I'll be completely surprised if they manage to wrap up this series in the remaining two episodes without making giant leaps through some completely absurd hoops.

I'm not. I do think that the revelations of this episode were a pretty natural progression from the rest of the show. And I too, found the light cave ridiculous (not in what it is, but how it's portrayed).

well, that's kind of what i'm saying, really. it's all good and well these odd entities, people and forces are there and have been for a while, it's just when it all simply boils down to a cave full of light and a magic drink. i just found it halfarsed.

the mib's description of the wheel was just plain bad. ''what i'ma gonna do is put this wheel into the light and something something SUCCESS''

I'M SPECIAL MOMMY

I'm trying, and failing, to think of anyway they could've shown the heart of the island without it seeming either unimportant or silly. Also, THE ISLAND TOLD HIM, and then gave him some bad dialogue.

It's also kind of frustrating to know that Jacob doesn't know shit either.

So Jacob why are you protecting the island? "well um cuz mom said so"
ok so you are protecting the light but why? "idk lol something about life"

So apparently none of the characters in Lost know anything. The only one who maybe knew is dead.

So apparently none of the characters in Lost know anything. The only one who maybe knew is dead.

I know, briliant isn't it?

What I would like to ask good ol' Jacob, is

why the hell did he stay and help crazy "fake mom" after she even admitted she killed his real mother.
Honestly, only MIB reacted like a normal human being.

finally got around to seeing the episode. the light cave thing was kinda weird and a big "WTF?" popped into my head. I guess it makes sense but then again....its LOST! I'm still trying to wrap my head around the idea of a show named LOST. We got like 2 episodes left right?? But if we've been duped for 6 years I'm pretty sure people will rage.

You're pompous.

I don't disagree that I can be.

*shrugs*

Sorry if I offended anybody.

Also, I think this is the first time I have been severely disappointed by the show. I mean, let's face it - that sucked.

Could you elaborate? Why did you think so?

I'd like to hear your thoughts.

In the meantime, Damon Lindelof has this to say on the relatively negative reaction towards last night's episode. Don't worry, there are no spoilers.

Damon Lindelof said:
It’s never exactly the reaction you’re expecting. We knew it would be an episode that would be divisive. We’ve been talking since the beginning of the season about the idea that the great thing of doing a show on your own terms is you have no excuses, but it’s also slightly terrifying that if you’re a mystery show, there will inevitably be episodes that answer mysteries. That has the potential to frighten, terrify, make people hate. This was going to be the season where we said, “Whatever your theory was, our presentation of the endgame of the show may disprove your theory, so we’re sorry if you don’t like the fact that you don’t get the Man in Black’s name, but you don’t get it.” So that’s going to piss some people off, and it’s their right to be pissed off. In terms of what the specific reactions are, it’s too hard to say 12 hours after the fact, and without seeing where this episode plays in the grand scheme of the series. That’s all we can say.

The full interview, for those so interested, is here:

http://www.hitfix.com/blogs/whats-a...lindelof-and-carlton-cuse-talk-across-the-sea

It's extremely interesting.

I'm frustrated that nobody knows anything... Jacob is as ****ing clueless as anybody else. I even bet that old witch was just as clueless too... being raised much in the same way.

ARGH.

I quite like the fact that nobody knows absolutely everything. It's always about these people - the choices they make, the human motives we can relate to. You make them all-knowing God-type figures and you really take away that important human element.

I like Richard so much more now as a flawed character, as opposed to the all-knowing enigmatic character he was once perceived as.

Did anyone else laugh at how many times they said across the sea in this episode? Especially the MiB/ghost mother scene.
"It's how we came across the sea."

"There's nothing across the sea."

"There are many things across the sea."

"..."

"You come from across the sea too."

Such terrible dialogue in this episode. Read the above out loud to yourself and contemplate how the **** Cuse and Lindelof could have seriously OK'd that. The mythology was just fine for me, as others have said, but actual composition of the episode was piss poor.

That was great.
Awesome of them to participate in something like that.

This island has brought people back to life, allowed people to speak with the dead, has a black smoke monster, the island seems invisible to most of the rest of the world, it lets you travel in time, and a bunch of other equally absurd shit. Now some of you act as if you can get an explaination for all of this that will actually make you say "Oh yeah, that makes total sense".

This island has brought people back to life, allowed people to speak with the dead, has a black smoke monster, the island seems invisible to most of the rest of the world, it lets you travel in time, and a bunch of other equally absurd shit. Now some of you act as if you can get an explaination for all of this that will actually make you say "Oh yeah, that makes total sense".

No, that's not the issue here. Jacob's explanation of the Island via analogy in Ab Aeterno was completely satisfactory. He described it as the cork in a bottle of evil, stopping it from getting out. There was almost a Pandora's Box feel to it. And that was completely fine.

And now the heart of the island contains a bright light that it somehow tied to, for lack of a better word, souls? "If the light goes out here, it goes out everywhere". I watched the episode again, and aside from seeing a relationship between MIB and Jacob, it was both completely worthless and absolutely ridiculous. It added nothing to show except a bullshit "reason" that didn't need to exist.

This episode wasn't just arguably the worst of the entire show, it was Lost's equivalent of midichlorians.

No, that's not the issue here. Jacob's explanation of the Island via analogy in Ab Aeterno was completely satisfactory. He described it as the cork in a bottle of evil, stopping it from getting out. There was almost a Pandora's Box feel to it. And that was completely fine.

And now the heart of the island contains a bright light that it somehow tied to, for lack of a better word, souls? "If the light goes out here, it goes out everywhere". I watched the episode again, and aside from seeing a relationship between MIB and Jacob, it was both completely worthless and absolutely ridiculous. It added nothing to show except a bullshit "reason" that didn't need to exist.

This episode wasn't just arguably the worst of the entire show, it was Lost's equivalent of midichlorians.

is this possibly what happened to Sayid? the "light" in him was put out?

is this possibly what happened to Sayid? the "light" in him was put out?

I'd say that's certainly a valid argument.

I personally tend to think of the Sayid Arc as "A Mistake". They put him in a position of being a "Zombie" seemingly entirely because MIB needed a right-hand-man. But there was no need for Sayid to go through that transformation. He's always been a follower that does whatever he's told. How easy was it for Ben, after everything, to get Sayid to kill Widmore's people?

And Sayid's "change of heart" at the end could suggest otherwise about his "light". I posted a quote from Lindelof about Sayid a few pages back that describes how I prefer to see the arc. Sayid just does whatever he's told, and he can be used for really terrible things, but he's still a "good" person underneath.

There's certainly room for a case to be made about his light going out. In earlier seasons involving Rousseau's team, we had the Sickness, which may be the same thing, but it seems to be inconsistent. Danielle Rousseau observed changes in behavior, such as Robert trying to kill her. We also see changes in Claire, who now plants traps and is basically a psychopath. Sayid is very much the same person, though he no longer "feels anything". Similarities between Claire's behaviour and Danielle's suggest that Rousseau could also have had the "sickness".

But it's so unclear at the moment exactly how these things work together. What it means that the light goes out, and the darkness takes over. Rousseau and Claire are still loving caring individuals, despite being "changed". Ben Linus also falls into that category, since it's assumed that his life was saved in the same way that Sayid's was.

Though Dogen's test of Sayid was to check his "good / evil" levels, and Sayid was already more on the side of evil, so maybe the "Sickness" hit him harder than it hits others, leaving him hollow? But if that's the case, why did he do the right thing in the end?

Has anyone else noticed that this show is 90% one person trying to convince another person to do something that doesn't make sense. And why are they always splitting into separate groups and then changing groups?

speaking of ben, i'm looking forward to seeing what he, miles and alpert have been up to.

I'm frustrated that nobody knows anything... Jacob is as ****ing clueless as anybody else. I even bet that old witch was just as clueless too... being raised much in the same way.

ARGH.

I honestly don't understand what's left that we haven't been told and that virtually every character doesn't know.

I honestly don't understand what's left that we haven't been told and that virtually every character doesn't know.

um....how about why the fence repels smokey, why ash repels smokey, why the island heals, what Widmore really knows, what Ben really knows, who were the original inhabitants of the island......shall I go on?

Trivial things that'll be left to your imagination and/or the inevitable Lost novels.

MIB will probably get off the island and calm down me thinks. His fake mom was wrong all along

Just for the record, I think episode kind of sucked, too.

Well, it's frustrating that the great mysterious smoke monster and the great Jacob were just two kids living a mostly mundane life on the island with a couple exceptions. The episode explained the smoke monster aspect... but none of the aspects of Jacob and how he can supposedly be invisible(we don't know anything about that for sure... could all have been bullshit), he can leave the Island by projecting himself across the world.

Honestly, Jacob to me was far more interesting before last seasons finale. Now I just treat him as some dead dude who only knew as much as his crazy ass witch mother would tell him.

Hmmmm. After reading so many comments about the episode, my own perspective towards it is sort of worsening.

*shrugs*

I'm not entirely willing to say it's the worst just yet. I think such a classification deserves to sit on the sidelines until after the finale.

I still think, you know, the likes of "Stranger in a Strange Land" was worse.

worst lost episode evar? oh hands down nicki and paulo....that episode could be stripped entirely from the series and we wouldn't miss ANYTHING

worst lost episode evar? oh hands down nicki and paulo....that episode could be stripped entirely from the series and we wouldn't miss ANYTHING

That would be the worst story arc. This however takes the cake when it comes to the most disappointing episode of the series.

That would be the worst story arc. This however takes the cake when it comes to the most disappointing episode of the series.

i know they build up and up and up towards the finale and then bam! 2 stupid kids are playing ancient backgammon or checkers crap. this reminds me of the battlestar galactica ending

Lostpedia claims that the episode took place 2000 years ago. Is this stated in the episode or by the producers, or did Lostpedia pull it out of their ass?

Lostpedia claims that the episode took place 2000 years ago. Is this stated in the episode or by the producers, or did Lostpedia pull it out of their ass?

If they make LOST about Jesus I'm burning my TV.

That would mean the Egyptians were at the island before them then. Would've been nice to have some timeline clarification, I figured about 2000 years ago anyway from the Latin. So I'm guessing we'll never have any information on the Egyptian presence, despite it being such a strong source of the shows mythology until now. Great.

That would mean the Egyptians were at the island before them then. Would've been nice to have some timeline clarification, I figured about 2000 years ago anyway from the Latin. So I'm guessing we'll never have any information on the Egyptian presence, despite it being such a strong source of the shows mythology until now. Great.

Really? That's what you're irritated about?

Oh no, there's far more I'm irritated about than that. It's just another missed opportunity on a very long list. Given that this was probably the last episode they're dedicating to the island's past, I expect we'll get no answer on the lighthouse, the temple, Ben's weird smoke-monster summoning tool or why that woman was able to destroy an entire village and cave in a well. Also, I liked the island far more when it's purpose, as we were told in Ab Aeterno was to imprison the evil, which now seems considerably less evil.

I'm really hoping quality is consistently fantastic for the remainder of the show. It's a shame to have my confidence shaken so close to the finale, didn't feel like this at all before Across the Sea.

Back