sHm0zY's Valve Tour & Play test!

Uh-Oh said:
ooooookay.

Lighting looks great but could be improved.
But your statement: "they refuse to bumpmap models" doesn't mean anything. Developers have a wide array of basic tools to create content. You have your basic shape wich is composed of polygons, and you dress these up with textures. Now, weither it's a standard texture, a bump-map, a normal map or one of these +some specular lighting, it doesn't matetr how you build your characters, what matters is the end result.

Now you ask, what is the end result?
A model that has a good "look's good / runs well" ratio.
You could simply use an unlimited amount of polygons and ultra high-res textures to make a good looking model, but then it wouldn't run well.

So, what did Valve achieve? The most realistic characters I've ever seen, and they run well to boot.

Your statement is the equivalent of:
"That guy built is house out of wood and stone! What a dumbass, everyone knows you need bricks to make a good house!"
or
"That guy paints with pastels?! We all know aquarel is muuuuch better".

too late.. too much rambling... not enough sle Z.zZ.zz.zZ

Why do you bother explaining, just let him go suxxor some coxxor :thumbs:

Look closely at his nam in his last post.

onluckybag
Banned

Seems to make it cut and dry.

Ok who cares hes an ass he got banned end of story.

Gabe looks happy....
Big amount of food on a table with sweeties.....
Gabe in meeting....

:naughty:

Im thinking gold party...... J/k

This was a nice report you put together dude. i dont know if you speak english as a first language (white bored?) but this was the most entertaining, concise and easiest to understand visit to valve thread ever. good job.

shmoz...you are the dudemachine, awesome stuff man. I can't wait to play the friggin game.

One question, when you picked stuff up at the train station, would you see your hands holding it or would it just float in front of you like in Deus Ex?

Also, what's with the blue-eyed wermacht dude? :LOL:

It floats in frount of you

That is a model of a german soldger from dod

rafa ... i called him a bitch ... cause he was acting like one ... lol ... and i got away with it too hehehe ...

GuNzABlaZiN said:
shmoz...you are the dudemachine, awesome stuff man. I can't wait to play the friggin game.

Okay... the word dudemachine cracked me up for some reason. Thanks GuNzABlaZiN.

Also thanks to Shmozy. Yes, it was definitely nice to hear some details. :)

This "Valve visit" story is not only completely devoid of any new information, it is also painful to read.

...yeah, thats right. I'm reviewing the visit.

I'm confused. It floats in front of you? Can someone show me a screenie from Deus Ex?

Malfunction said:
I'm confused. It floats in front of you? Can someone show me a screenie from Deus Ex?

It just sort of apears in front of you as if you are holding it except there is no actual hand holding it up. Sort of like the steering wheel on the buggy. I don't have DX currently installed so I can't really show you. Trust me, it's no big deal anyway.

This really was a good visit, merc's was dumb, he played CS:S, you actually showed off Valve and stuff AND had the pics in order of the visit. Bravo!

Great account of the train station.
My favorite pictures were of the food, the art on shelves (knife in log) , and the Gabe pic. He has a great smile. Mine kinda sucks in pictures : /

Anywho , its nice to get some pictures of the environment they work in. Like the food. Now THAT adds character to the work place. How many offices can get away with that?

dark alf, hohhoho

Dude, Gabe looks so much better (less plump and stressed) in that picture of him.

I just sent a Thank You email to Kellie (valve Secretary) for setting up my tour =D

Dalamari said:
This really was a good visit, merc's was dumb, he played CS:S, you actually showed off Valve and stuff AND had the pics in order of the visit. Bravo!

There were good observations made in both visits. Wouldn't it be great if everyone could concentrate on the positive?

Hey sHm0zY, how big was the city level? Would you say a couple blocks and a city square?

Stan R.

stanr said:
Hey sHm0zY, how big was the city level? Would you say a couple blocks and a city square?

Oh yeah, good question. I wondered about that too before I got sidetracked, hehe.

stanr said:
There were good observations made in both visits. Wouldn't it be great if everyone could concentrate on the positive?

Stan R.
It was huge and some of the places were blocked off by the combine so i couldent go there. but its big man.

when u pick up stuff like cans, how does it work?
(sorry if this was already asked, didnt read the whole thread.

Wesisapie said:
don't worry oneluckybag, the only way to stay on these forums is to take your pride and swallow.
differing opinions aren't really appreciated either.

:(

PIPE DOWN RUBBERDUB! *slaps Wesisapie in the face with a leather glove*

McFly said:
when u pick up stuff like cans, how does it work?
(sorry if this was already asked, didnt read the whole thread.
you press e and it kinda floats in frount of you

C'mon, you don't even need a reason to kill combine scum, it's just good wholesome family fun.

Rafa 5.0 said:
C'mon, you don't even need a reason to kill combine scum, it's just good wholesome family fun.

Oh I know that bro.... but those guys are looking more like snark bait every day, lol. I dunno why, but those combine guys have always seriously irritated me.

and if you press the "e" repeatedly, he slowly gives you the finger :thumbs:

Back