Guild Wars

I think he means the actual game.

The actual game is not free, though there is no monthly fee. They will stream and update content just as with a mmorpg but when they are adding new classes, new lands, etc.. and big things like that it will be in the form of an expansion pack.
The Expansion Packs will be well worth there price, as it wont just be a few new items or anything.

If you played E3 and WPE you will notice that the land DRASTICALLY changes aswell as everything else including quests. This only shows what they can add within 6 months using there tools. Expansions should add new quests, continue the story, possibly new items, armors, new lands to explore, new monsters, possibly new classes and more.

Though there streaming tech is quite amazing and there server tech is kind of cool to.
They can run multiple copies of the game on 1 server, allowing them to host 2 copies of the game, 1 copy may have just been released and has a bunch of new fixed things on. So when you restart the game they will stream all the new stuff to you, aswell as the other copy being up until most of the people are off.

This allows for pretty much no down times onless a server crashes obviously. Anyway great game and great tech.

Minerel couldnt of said it any better, Guild wars is the future of online gaming, at least its server style is. Think of mmorpgs like world of warcraft, everquest 2 etc like this, where towns are multi servered, and fighting areas instances. It would work..

I got the game and tried to message you Ritz but it said you weren't on. I'll try again later tonight when I can play the game. My avatar is Mr Mesmerer.

Just had me to the friends list, and you will see when Im online. Going to bed now though.

W00t! I just came back from the store and I have a copy in my hands!

I hate walmart....

they always get stuff late

But I want it bad

You all should have got it the first day. I was the first one to get it at Best Buy. It wasn't even on the shelves when I go there.

I remember Ritz in one of the beta's that you also asked us to whisper, I did that a lot but you never anwserd :(

Anyway people what kind of character do you play with the most, I personally liked the monk/elementalist the best. In this game I absolutely love to be the healer, but teh only problem is that when one memebr of the party kills a monster the xp is not shared, so as a healer you have to do damage to if you wanna get xp, and unfortunatly a lot fo people are secondary monks, which is not smart, it's better to have one real healer and that the other use their secondey for something different like necro or mesher, which spells come in handy very often.

I played Warrior Elementalist at first, then necro Mesmer and most recently in the last beta, Ranger Necro, or Mesmer I'm not sure. I quite liked that the last character anyway.

Guess who has the game?!
... me! :D :bounce:
E3 - Phantom Datrix
The game is pretty good so far, (haven't got to fight with real people yet) it's a nice break from six months straight of FPS, that's for sure :p
Anyway, if you want to add me, go right ahead. :thumbs:

Grey Fox said:
I remember Ritz in one of the beta's that you also asked us to whisper, I did that a lot but you never anwserd :(

Anyway people what kind of character do you play with the most, I personally liked the monk/elementalist the best. In this game I absolutely love to be the healer, but teh only problem is that when one memebr of the party kills a monster the xp is not shared, so as a healer you have to do damage to if you wanna get xp, and unfortunatly a lot fo people are secondary monks, which is not smart, it's better to have one real healer and that the other use their secondey for something different like necro or mesher, which spells come in handy very often.

Sorry Grey, I must of been busy.

Im playing a warrior/necromancer, using an axe with two blood magics, life stealing, and two damaging spells, one that causes each hit I do on the enermy to shockwave off and do 12 shaddow dmg to nearby mobs, and the other explodes a corpse to do 25dmg to all nearby.. Im like a tiny god.

Bought it. Its beautiful, thats for sure. I'm rather bored with it already though, and I'm not even post.. whatever its called. I'm a ranger/elementalist, but I'm not seeing the human interaction part of it. All I'vce seen is a bunch of bitches dancing around.

We should start a HL2.net guild. Who's up for it?

Rico said:
We should start a HL2.net guild. Who's up for it?
I would be... although, right now I'm only a Elementalist/Monk at level 5 :(

Everybody that wants to be in the HL2.net Guild, say so now! State that you're going to join, then say your name. :)

I'm in - Phantom Datrix

Has anyone been able to suceed in doing the Duke's Daughter quest? It's impossible without a highlevel, well-balanced group. (A monk/healer is a must.) Oh, if can't be in the guild because I am already in one. ;) My name is Sir Aldahar, by the way. I added Ritz and Pressure to the friends list.

gh0st said:
Bought it. Its beautiful, thats for sure. I'm rather bored with it already though, and I'm not even post.. whatever its called. I'm a ranger/elementalist, but I'm not seeing the human interaction part of it. All I'vce seen is a bunch of bitches dancing around.
Wait until you get post-Searing/Old Ascalon. That's where questing without a group is impossible. You will see. I suggest being level 5 before you get out of newb city. :cheers:

Im in for a hl2.net guild, but I should wait till I get my copy of the game first :)

ray_MAN said:
Wait until you get post-Searing/Old Ascalon. That's where questing without a group is impossible. You will see. I suggest being level 5 before you get out of newb city. :cheers:

I left at level 7, theres lots to do before you leave.

Woot I got the game for free :D They give Alpha Testers free accounts! My brother bought the collectors edition, so I can look at all the goodies ;) (Hardcover art book is nice!)

Me and my team got to the Hall of Heros yesterday!!!! We lost to guys named Double-U Tee Eff or something like that (they just sounded out WTF)... They bum rushed us with 2 minutes left until our win :(

This game is better than I remember.

BRODIEMAN2k4 said:
It's like comparing apples to oranges

Everyone knows oranges > apples.
GW > WoW
It's simply more fun and less frustrating than WoW.

WoW : The fun begins when you hit level 60. Up until then it's an arduous task, where you're playing not for the fun of it, but the promise of fun when lvl 60 hits. And trust me, being in a world where thousands of other players is not a bonus in gameplay.

GW : The fun is constant, from the minute you make your character to the second you want to start a new one. Guild battles and tournaments are awesome chances to show off your well built guild. Coordination and communication are vital, and a well understanding of everyone's place in the battle.

Bottom line : If you like feeling the blood surge to your penis because you just PKed 3 people that were 10 levels below you, buy WoW.

Ritz said:
I left at level 7, theres lots to do before you leave.
Me too. I did every quest there was in newb city. However, it took me a while to figure out how to leave. I suggest being at least level 5 because death is common in post-Searing Ascalon, so higher level means less death. :O

Pesmerga said:
Bottom line : If you like feeling the blood surge to your penis because you just PKed 3 people that were 10 levels below you, buy WoW.

I dont have a penis, please, tell me what that feels like?

WoW is absolutely fantastic GW is fun, and yes they are completely different so I am growing completely tired of this arguement.

I'd like to add i'm having alot of fun doing the whole "salvage, craft" system in Guild Wars.. I know it's very simplistic and considered boring and infintile compared to the crafting in games like EQII or WoW.. but I find it very fitting to the playstyle of GW.

GuildWars is one of those games that is just..Right. It may not be massivly complex and have a million different levels of play, but thats the genius of it. it keeps you entertained with relative minimalistic play, while still having that little bit extra to make it different ever time.

Ritz said:
I dont have a penis, please, tell me what that feels like?

Feels like killing 3 people 10 levels below you on WoW.
Apparently...
I personally just don't see it.

ray_MAN said:
Has anyone been able to suceed in doing the Duke's Daughter quest? It's impossible without a highlevel, well-balanced group. (A monk/healer is a must.) Oh, if can't be in the guild because I am already in one. ;) My name is Sir Aldahar, by the way. I added Ritz and Pressure to the friends list.

Heh, we pwned that quest today didn't we, I guess two lvl 9/10 players with two henchmen count as a highlevel well-balanced group :E. And we weren't even out to do that particular quest.

Me and simmo also won a pvp battle in the Yak's End arena :D. PvP is surprisingly fun. I expected to get pwned right away, but I only died once.

I'm in for the hl2.net guild

Rico the Barbarian in post-searing Ascalon. Who's gonna start up the guild? Just add me to your list and send me a page ingame!

I've had more fun with Guild Wars in the last two days than the last two months of WOW. Its just so damn good!

theGreenBunny said:
Me and simmo also won a pvp battle in the Yak's End arena :D. PvP is surprisingly fun. I expected to get pwned right away, but I only died once.
I tried the PVP arena in Yak's End. I died immediately. They were all like 4 levels higher than me. The quests are pretty hard in Yak's End, but I got pretty far. :rolling:

Can everyone post their ingame names here? I might start up the hl2.net guild but I'll need everyone contact info to do it

I just found on a site the CE edition, if everything is ok, I'm getting it in 2/4 days.
Can anyone tell me if the art book is really beautifull & the soundtrack is it good.

Both are excellent! :) Comes with a microphone, and free 3 month teamspeak hosting (a necessity for guilds). Art book is very beautiful, has text to discuss the pictures, lots of good stuff! CD is just in a cardboard sleeve, not in a plastic case. Really nicely compiled tracks on it.

Also you get like glowy type stuff for your hands in-game to show you have the Collector's Edition :p Hard to explain, but it's just an extra thing for in-game.

BTW.... I've looked around a lot, done every quest but I can't find my way out of Ascalon city! I go into the Northlands, but I can't find anything even after about a half-hour looking around. I couldn't get to some places. There was also a closed gate blocking my way to an area, so I couldn't go that way. Is there a quest that gets you out of Ascalon to other towns?

Iced_Eagle said:
BTW.... I've looked around a lot, done every quest but I can't find my way out of Ascalon city! I go into the Northlands, but I can't find anything even after about a half-hour looking around. I couldn't get to some places. There was also a closed gate blocking my way to an area, so I couldn't go that way. Is there a quest that gets you out of Ascalon to other towns?
LMAO! I had the same problem. You haev to talk to Sir Tydus, the first guy you spoke to when you start the game. He talks on and on about shit, and then you are transported to the academy where you battle. It doesn't matter if you win or lose, you just go into some sort of cave and you attack a grawl. That's where the real game begins. Put your name here if you need anything when you get there.

I can't be in the HL2.net guild, but my name is:
Sir Aldahar

A good idea is to not venture out into the "real game" until you've done pretty much all of the quests and have gotten your primary class's next level of armor and stuff. Don't forget to learn all the skills you can learn before leaving as well.

As for me, I'm:

Malfy The Mad
Dukes of Toast [DoT]

Inside joke. Don't even ask.

Thanks so much ray_MAN!!!

Alright, finally I get to explore :D I have a map of the entire land with everything plotted out (like where missions and hidden areas are) but they said we can't show it because it was taken on Dev Server. Oh well :(

This game is addicting :p

Ok.. I'm stupid. I went post searing at level 3 (almost 4!! :D) and somehow I lost my bow so I cant kill things. Someone help me :( my in game name is Houz Bin Pharteen

gh0st said:
Ok.. I'm stupid. I went post searing at level 3 (almost 4!! :D) and somehow I lost my bow so I cant kill things. Someone help me :( my in game name is Houz Bin Pharteen
I've got some extra weapons, a really powerful bow too (which I don't use). I can't help you tonight, but tomorrow I'll see what I can do. :)

Malfunction said:
A good idea is to not venture out into the "real game" until you've done pretty much all of the quests and have gotten your primary class's next level of armor and stuff. Don't forget to learn all the skills you can learn before leaving as well.

Not a good idea to buy any armor till your out of the newbie area, save up resoruces to get some armor in the next which is so much better.

Back