Mind-Blowing Portal Video on GameSpot

Yes. Because in Prey you used a portal-firing gun to solve all sorts of stage-based puzzles. Wait.. Did I miss that?

Looks crap. What a rip off Prey.

Except that:
Portal is based on Narbacular Drop which was developed by DigiPen students as their final project in 2004.

Mentioning Prey in 2004 would get you laughed at, it wasn't re-announced until 2006.

Portal is being developed by those students who are now hired by Valve. Development on Portal is underway for over a year now, when Prey was still vaporware.

So how exactly is it a Prey ripoff?

Silly trolls.

How does it look crap? Looks fantastic.

I think if Portal did have a multiplayer mode, co-op would fit the theme a whole lot better than deathmatch, I think.

portal multiplayer could have mind boggling consequences

Now this.... this is innovation.

PC gaming is dead, long live PC gaming.

Idea looks good... Hope there will be MP - The possibilities!!!

Also, there could be bright times for Mods ahead...as soon as people crack how things like this are done...

The future looks so much brighter in SO many ways!!!

holy isht!

That looks so awesome, I've been waiting for something like this! I think it would be cool if they somehow tied this into the half life universe, like a prequel to half life 1, where you another scientist at BM, researching portal tech, and you have training scenarios set up for use as a military weapon (the portal gun)... then later on, maybe introduce the portal gun into half life ep 3 or something... I dunno lol either way, freakin' sweet, thats all I got to say.

man i don't know if I can fully comprehend some of these puzzles, like the ones where you shoot one, jump through then shoot again and go through the next to some where else... etc.

Okay I just saw this...

THIS IS AMAZING! They think of the coolest weapons. I can only begin to imigine the possibilities.

Looks freaking awesome. Cant wait to fire a rocket into an endless loop :p

Oh yeah, that reminds me. Are there going to be other weapons besides the portal gun? Cause I suspect this is going to be the only weapon in Portal.

So i wonder if this pic is implying that you can make a portal inside of a portal...

And you guys might find it interesting that the Narbacular Drop website's bandwidth limit has been exceeded. hahaha
Too much popularity from Portal.

Nope, he made a portal on the opposite side of the hallway. Like two mirros facing each other.

You can make a portal through a portal..... You can do it in Narbacular Drop.

And I also just noticed something in Drop credits:
"Special thanks to VALVe"
:O

You can make a portal through a portal..... You can do it in Narbacular Drop.

Because it has the same concept doesn't mean it has the same gameplay mechanics. I am wondering if it would be possible. I might even email Valve about it, unless ofcourse it's been answered already.

The Brick is it really that hard to figure out?

Ok you have it like this:
0__Y__0
Y = you
0 = portal.
If you look in the right portal you will see through the left portal. Therefor if you shot a portal through the right portal it would come out of the left portal and it a new portal, removing the old, would be created when it hits a wall.

I can't stop watching this video, along with the TF2 trailer.

And you guys might find it interesting that the Narbacular Drop website's bandwidth limit has been exceeded. hahaha
Too much popularity from Portal.
Before the site went down, the guys said in a newspost that they raised the site's bandwith 18 times the normal :p

The Brick is it really that hard to figure out?

Ok you have it like this:
0__Y__0
Y = you
0 = portal.
If you look in the right portal you will see through the left portal. Therefor if you shot a portal through the right portal it would come out of the left portal and it a new portal, removing the old, would be created when it hits a wall.

Ehm, was I implying that I don't know what you meant? I said that I wouldn't be so sure that it's possible (meaning, that it will be in the game). Because it will mean that you can skip alot puzzles in a lame way. You can just move your portal around through the map. Just like in NB.

So i wonder if this pic is implying that you can make a portal inside of a portal...

Wouldn't that make it a similar to mirror?

The portal wouldn't really act like a portal if you were to try and use it. Since the entrance and the exit are at the same point, it would be like running into yourself. :LOL:

The portal wouldn't really act like a portal if you were to try and use it. Since the entrance and the exit are at the same point, it would be like running into yourself. :LOL:
No, your theory only works if the player hasn't yet planted both portals. see if he plants a red portal infront of him on a wall, and then plants of a blue portal on the corner of a wall (so he could see what's on the other side of that wall), he can shoot another blue portal through the red portal, which would exit from the first blue portal and land on the other side of the corner. This can be done as many times as you want as long as you don't use a red portal.

My theory is based on if the blue portal is planted on top (or inside) of the red portal.

The first diagram shows someone walking into a red portal (arrow showing the direction).

.................||;;;;;;;O;;;;;;
.................||;;;;;;\/|\;;;;;
.................||;<--;;;|;|;;;;
.................||;;;;;;;/;\__;;
.................||;;;;;;;|;;;;;;;

The next diagram below is the exact same thing, except there's a blue portal inside the red portal. Essentially, the entrance is the exit, which cancels itself out. It would be like running into a mirror. You can see yourself as you collide into solid matter.

........O.......||;;;;;;;O;;;;;;
......./|\/.....||;;;;;;\/|\;;;;;
......|.|........||;<--;;;|;|;;;;
....__/.\......||;;;;;;;/;\__;;;
..........|......||;;;;;;;|;;;;;;;;

This would be like having a duplicate of yourself running towards you. Once you reach the portal, it would be like having the duplicate strike the portal at the same time.

Blah, forget it. I'm just confusing myself. :rolling:

Portal should be fun! :E

True Canadian how will you be able to overlap portals? Because if you cast a portal at another portal it will simply go through it where the portal comes out.

Now what if you only have one portal created? Well maybe you will be able to create portals on matter thus you wont be able ot create one on a portal.

That video was fan-freaking-tastic.
I like how it doesn't even ****ing stream for me. And when I ****ing register with their shitty ****ing service I get ****ing stopped at 65% no matter where the **** I'm downloading from. ****ing ****. **** you.
Eloquent chap, aren't you? ;)

No, it will probably be like Narbacular Drop where the portal will be created on the wall you are looking at through the original portal instead of the wall that the original portal is on.

:) = you
O = first original portal
0 = second original portal
| = wall the new portal will be created on
-> = line of sight

:) -> O

0 -> |

I hope it makes sense. I'm pretty sure you need to use this concept to beat ND.

it is two portals facing each other, except the artist screwed up and made them alternating colours, while in-game you would always be seeing the same portal

Hey, my thread got moved to a less popular forum!
Noooooooooo!! Kahhnnnnnnnnnnn!!!! Mendooooosssaaaaa!!!

Anyway... yeah, nevermind

I'd also like to point out to TrueCanadian that even if you could overlap portals it would not be like a mirror.
You see one is not an entrance and the other exit. They both are an entrance and both exit. Thus it would work like this(Probably):
The first portal that the game detected you hit is the portal you would go through and you would come out the other portal. Why isn't this like a mirror since you end up in the same spot? Your facing a new direction.

This also requires that portals can be placed on portals and there is only one portal and you create the second portal in the same exact spot as the other portal on all axies.

If I got two portals on my hand and create the third portal, which one will disappear?

If you simply play NB, all confusion about the mechanics of portals will be solved. Its all well thought-out and easy to understand when you see it visually, rather than trying to consider the concepts...

Except that:
Portal is based on Narbacular Drop which was developed by DigiPen students as their final project in 2004.

Mentioning Prey in 2004 would get you laughed at, it wasn't re-announced until 2006.

Portal is being developed by those students who are now hired by Valve. Development on Portal is underway for over a year now, when Prey was still vaporware.

So how exactly is it a Prey ripoff?

Silly trolls.

The Portal technology is courtesy of Prey, not Narbacular Drop or any other game. The original Portal technology was in fact developed back in around 1996 for the original Prey. Those guys who did this were brought on to Prey to help them developing it.

Actually, I really should be saying "inspired by". Who cares though? I'm only looking forward to TF2 in all of this.

Yes. Because in Prey you used a portal-firing gun to solve all sorts of stage-based puzzles. Wait.. Did I miss that?

It's the concept I was referring to, ya nub.

Back