Mind-Blowing Portal Video on GameSpot

What concept? Having portals? that's not really new. Having portals as cool-looking doors? un-effective. Having the abillity to create portals with your gun in order so solve some crazy puzzels and pass obstacles and other stuff? Now , that's something to talk about.

What concept? Having portals? that's not really new. Having portals as cool-looking doors? un-effective. Having the abillity to create portals with your gun in order so solve some crazy puzzels and pass obstacles and other stuff? Now , that's something to talk about.

QfT

The Portal technology is courtesy of Prey, not Narbacular Drop or any other game. The original Portal technology was in fact developed back in around 1996 for the original Prey.

Prey collapsed for a while because the producers found that the way they were doing portals wasn't possible on the current engine. That's apparently what happened. No one really knows when the technology was re-implemented. Prey might not have that technology around 2004; or it might have. So no one's in a position to point fingers.

If you simply play NB, all confusion about the mechanics of portals will be solved. Its all well thought-out and easy to understand when you see it visually, rather than trying to consider the concepts...

I guess that's my next stop because I'm even more confused now than when I started. :p

Oh, to end the discussion on what would happen with portals through portals:

You will NOT be able to fire a portal through another portal like in ND:

1) ON ND you can make a portal THROUGH a portal. This isn't the case in Portal. Unless they added a new feature to the portal at the end. But they didn't like that feature because its WAY to easy.

Source: http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=463257

On another note, on the 3DRealms forum it is stated how portals are made possible technology wise. Portals use the dynamic visibility (that determines what should and shouldn't be rendered based on what the player can see) of the Doom 3 engine. If portals in Source work in that way too, does that mean Source has stepped away from the prerendered visleafs?

Whoooo!
I read about Portal some time ago, but I never thought it'd be this amazing.
I expected something in the lines of Prey's gravity stuff, but this is soooooo awesome.
I just went on steam, and browsed through the media list out of boredom, when all of a sudden, I saw the trailer for Team Fortress 2.
I downloaded it, and I was like WOAH IM SOOOOO BUYING HL² EPISODE 2 :O
Then I browsed further, and I saw Portal :)
I hadn't seen anything of this game other than that cryptic explanation Valve gave.
After seeing the trailer I was like woooooooow !
This is exactly my kind of game.
I think the graphics are swell, it looks kinda futuristic white like PN:03, and the motion blur and DoF look awesome.
This is the coolest puzzle game that ever touched my eyes :O
I can just imagine downloading shitloads of mappacks and playing them with a huge smile on my face :)
<333333 valve :)

I'm not gonna read the whole thread because I'm lazy but I came in to say a few things anyway.

1. Go play the Narbacular Drop to get a taste of the gameplay already.
2. That stuff about the user controlling the portals making the gameplay not a Prey ripoff is BS, but it was because it was Digipen students that actually developed the game's concept that makes it okay. Prey might have been the inspiration of the project (I can't imagine these students would have come up with the concept six or seven years before starting it), but it's the genre and focus on the portals that makes this one unique.
3. The trailer made my jaw drop.
4. I loved the part where the guy went through the portal and went \o/ when he came out the other side.

The Portal technology is courtesy of Prey, not Narbacular Drop or any other game. The original Portal technology was in fact developed back in around 1996 for the original Prey.

And wormhole theroy started with Einstein.
:O

Back